Golden Globes 2011: TV's Big Winners!

Who took home gold and who’s hoping for better luck next year? Here’s a recap of TV’s big winners at the 68th annual Golden Globe Awards. Share your yeas or nays in Comments!

Best TV Comedy Series: Glee (Fox)
Other Nominees:
30 Rock, The Big Bang Theory, The Big C, Modern Family, Nurse Jackie

Best Actor In a Comedy Series: Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory)
Other Nominees:
Alec Baldwin (30 Rock), Steve Carell (The Office), Thomas Jane (Hung), Matthew Morrison (Glee)

Best Actress In a Comedy Series: Laura Linney (The Big C)
Other Nominees: Toni Collette (United States of Tara), Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie), Tina Fey (30 Rock), Lea Michele (Glee)

Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Miniseries or TV-Movie: Jane Lynch (Glee)
Other Nominees:
Hope Davis (The Special Relationship), Kelly MacDonald (Boardwalk Empire), Julia Stiles (Dexter), Sofia Vergara (Modern Family)

Best Actress In a Miniseries/TV-Movie: Claire Danes (Temple Grandin)
Other Nominees:
Hayley Atwell (Pillars of the Earth), Judi Dench (Return to Cranford), Romola Garai (Emma), Jennifer Love Hewitt (The Client List)

Best Actor in a Miniseries/TV-Movie: Al Pacino (You Don’t Know Jack)
Other Nominees: Idris Elba (Luther), Ian McShane (Pillars of the Earth), Dennis Quaid (The Special Relationship), Edgar Ramirez (Carlos)

Best TV Drama Series: Boardwalk Empire (HBO)
Other Nominees:
Dexter, The Good Wife, Mad Men, The Walking Dead

Best Actor In a Drama Series:  Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire)
Other Nominees: Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad), Michael C. Hall (Dexter), Jon Hamm (Mad Men), Hugh Laurie (House)

Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Miniseries or TV-Movie: Chris Colfer (Glee)
Other Nominees: Scott Caan (Hawaii Five-0), Chris Noth (The Good Wife), Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family), David Strathairn (Temple Grandin)

Best Miniseries or TV-Movie: Carlos (Sundance Channel)
Other Nominees: The Pacific (HBO), Pillars Of The Earth (Starz), Temple Grandin (HBO), You Don’t Know Jack (HBO)

Best Actress In Drama Series: Katey Sagal (Sons Of Anarchy)
Other Nominees: Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife), Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men), Piper Perabo (Covert Affairs), Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer)

1. Brock says:

Jane and Chris from GLEE? Yay! Unimpressed with the nominees for drama series and didn’t latch onto Boardwalk after the pilot failed to impress. Still, psyched for the Glee winners! Laura Linney and Katey Sagal? Well done ladies!

2. Brock says:

Jim Parsons? SWEET VICTORY!

Suck THAT Baldwin (though I love ya, you’re not award worthy)!

3. Sara says:

I am so sick of Parsons. His character is just annoying and he’s unable to make Sheldon likable.

Also, why is Chris Colfer winning everything? Because he’s the gay one? Because I find the other young-adult actors far superior whereas Chris spends the majority of episodes crying and complaining.

• Zach says:

Really?? Not to start an argument as everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I completely disagree with all you just said. If you go back and look at initial Big Bang episodes, Sheldon has evolved immensely as a character and FAR more likeable then he was, thanks to the genius subtleties of Parson’s acting.

As for Colfer, in a show that goes over the top on MANY stories, he keeps the show grounded, and real. Does he cry and complain alot?? Sure, but thats what’s written for him and he delivers. He can only act what he’s given, and he acts it brilliantly.

• samfio says:

Sheldon isn’t supposed to be particularly likable. So at that, Parsons is doing a great job. However, there are scenes when you can’t help but love Sheldon, and the fact that Jim Parsons can make the viewer occasionally like a character who is SUPPOSED to be annoying and unlikeable shows his talent as an actor.

• Josie says:

Chris Colfer isn’t winning everything.. this is the first award I have ever even seen him personally win lol.

4. Jane says:

So far the victims of highway robbery are Modern Family, Christopher Nolan, and Hans Zimmer!!

5. Kate says:

I knew these awards were a joke when I saw some of the nominees (looking at you Piper Perabo and JLH), but Glee winning best comedy proved it. The show has a couple one liners at best, which does not make it a comedy. Chris Colfer didn’t win for being funny, he won for being overly dramatic about everything. There should be a dramedy category, because shows and actors who actually have comedic talent should win the comedy awards rather losing to shows that actually skew much more toward the drama category but don’t want to compete there.

• Drew says:

1. Jim Parsons won Best Actor in a Comedy. Chris Colfer got Best Supporting Actor out of everything, comedy or drama. So while I disagree on how funny Colfer is, he didn’t need to be to win.
      2. I agree that there should be a “dramedy” category, or some other place where hybrid shows like Glee can compete. But there isn’t. Glee didn’t choose comedy over drama. Comedy was chosen for them because despite there not being as much overt hilarity written into the script, it is generally a more lighthearted show than what should be in the drama category. Glee won because the voting public considered it the best in the category, and until there’s a separate category, it will probably continue to compete for and potentially win Best Comedy/Musical.

• Guy says:

Glee won because it says best Comedy OR Musical with OR being the word.

The Emmys on the other hand classify it as Comedy which in that case is wrong as it is clearly under the drama category if its not called a musical but for these awards its not so it deserved its win, all 3 in fact.

6. Sheila Hagadone says:

The “Host” SUCKED, very rude! Sgould NEVER host again!

7. Sheila Hagadone says:

Would of much rather seen Adam Lambert then baby beiber as presenter.

• Lindsey says:

Any awards show with Justin Bieber and Megan Fox can’t be taken seriously. The winners just proved it. Glee has been HORRIBLE this season, and it won? Come on! It’s not even just that I’m mad that Modern Family didn’t win anything (it would have been well deserved, especially Sofia Vergara), but Glee has really and truly been that terrible, pretty much ever since the second part of season one.

8. Briana says:

I was excited to see Darren Criss here and there.

9. samfio says:

I really can’t believe Glee won best comedy. Modern Family and Big Bang both farrr surpass Glee in intellect and humor. Glee really hasn’t been good since the beginning of the first season, since then it hasn’t been able to live up to its name. It started too big I think, can’t live up to the expectations.
    Anyway, all three wins for Glee I think were better deserved for someone else… mostly with the best comedy slot, as I said. Jane Lynch’s Sue Sylvester is best at her one liners. That is what is funny about the show, jokes here and there. A best supporting comedy actress would have been more deserved by Sofia Vergara who brings laughs throughout and entire episode of Modern Family.
    I’m on the fence about Chris Colfer… I do think he deserved the award much more than Jane Lynch or the show’s win.
    And just to clarify… I consider myself a Glee fan. But the wins were undeserved. The wins also showed the necessity of a “dramedy” type category. Shows like Glee are far too different from the American sitcom to be thrown together in the same category.

10. Mikhail says:

Every year my opinion of the Golden Globes is lowered another notch. It’s always been a joke but it’s gotten to a point where they can never redeem it. I sincerely wish they would be cancelled but there’s too much money for all parties involved for that to ever happen.

11. DarkEmy says:

Okay, are you seriously implying that chris colfer plays better than jane lynch? Cause you know, Colfer really doesn’t have much work – he plays a character that’s been written specially for him and has many similarities with the real person. Also, not that I don’t like gay people, I think they are awesome, but his character is really unlikable, although I think that wasn’t the writers’ plan. Always making a drama over the littlest things – get over yourself I say!
    Plus, I find Jane Lynch hillarious – she’s the only one worth of comedy title in this show and is besides Harry Shum probably the only reason I keep watching. No way Colfer acts better than her.

On the other side, big YAAY for Jim Parsons! :) That man is a genius and no matter what people say, he deserved it. Do you even know how hard it is to play all the ticks of the face or that creepy smile that we all adore? :)

12. Ingmar says:

Katey Sagal? Realy? Julianna Marguilles should have won again.

• Olive says:

I guess you’ve never watched SOA then. Katey is fantastic on that show. I like to see Marguilles put a gun to a baby’s head and still stay likeable.

• Dave says:

I’ve always loved Julianna Margulies … but Katey Sagal’s performance, especially during Season 3, of Sons Of Anarchy is MILES above what any other lead actress has done lately.

• Gilles says:

Juliana Margulies is excellent, award worthy even. It goes to show how exceptional Katey Segal is on Sons of Anarchy. She does a supreme job playing a superb role.

• Lulu says:

katey sagal SO deserved it! maybe you ought to watch the show. then you would REALLY know.

• Ingmar says:

Who said I didn’t watch the show? I do watch it. I just think Julianne or even Kyra deserved the award so much more. But that’s my opinion.

Same with Glee ; I don’t understand how on earth Jane Lynch got an award..she is not even that funny..again in my opinion. There is no progress in her character. She talks on the same tone every episode, same forced jokes.

• Lars but not least says:

They’re all excellent actresses and they all deserve it. But Segal got it this time and deservedly so. I do think you have to seperate the actress from the character. Julianna Margulies and Kyra Sedgewick play likeable characters. Katey Segal has a much more demanding role and plays a darker character.

• Ingmar says:

Kyra Sedgwick a likeable character? Not realy imo…but thats your opinion so I understand you. I watch lots of TV, so I know when I see quality in acting. I agree Katey acts nicely, but you know my opinion about who should have won.

13. Moviefan2 says:

Sofia Vergara should have won! Modern Family should have won!
    Walking Dead (granted only six or so episodes) should have won!
    Why isn’t NCIS or any of their actors ever nominated? Glad Katey Sagal won.

14. amy says:

I can ignore all the wins I thought were unjustified and just bask in the fabulousness of Katey Sagal’s deeply deserved win.

15. Kaibosh says:

My 2 cents for the TV awards.

Drama Series: Boardwalk Empire (got it right)

Comedy/Musical Series: Glee (very, very wrong…should have been Modern Family by a mile)

Miniseries or TV Movie: Carlos (no opinion…was expecting Pacific)

Lead Actor — Drama: Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire (got it right)

Lead Actress — Drama: Katey Sagal, Sons of Anarchy (very right)

Lead Actor — Comedy/Musical: Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory (very, very, very wrong….should have been Alec Baldwin. I mean, Jim Parsons IS Sheldon he’s not acting)

Lead Actress — Comedy/Musical: Laura Linney, The Big C (no opinion)

Lead Actor — Miniseries or TV Movie: Al Pacino, You Don’t Know Jack (OK)

Lead Actress — Miniseries or TV Movie: Claire Danes, Temple Grandin
    (got it right)

Supporting Actor — TV Series, Miniseries or TV Movie: Chris Colfer, Glee (very wrong – should have Eric Stonestreet)

Supporting Actress — TV Series, Miniseries or TV Movie: Jane Lynch, Glee (got it right)

• Gen says:

What do you mean by Jim Parsons is Sheldon? If Jim Parsons was a theoretical physicist with an IQ of 187, do you think he would be acting? Jim Parsons is nothing like Sheldon if you’ve ever seen him in an interview compared to a BBT episode.

16. Aimee says:

Cannot believe The Social Network won Best Film, should have been The King’s Speech, Black Swan or Inception.

• Liz says:

I agree. I didn’t see The King’s Speech but Black Swan, Inception or the Fighter should have won in my opinion. But that’s my opinion as I enjoy movies that are more Jump/quick shots than long, sweeping shots. I like movies with quick pace and tempo… maybe I have A.D.D. :)

17. Toya Ahler says:

I’m not sure where you are getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for great info I was looking for this info for my mission.

18. Matt says:

Agreed … Ricky Gervais was HYSTERICAL!

19. Erin says:

100% agree! Keep Ricky if you want the ratings to stay high. He was the best part of that awful broadcast.