Off The Map Guest List Includes Elizabeth Pena, NCIS Fave And Others

Get More: Casting News, News, Scoop

Michael McKean, who endured quite the zipline crisis in the season premiere of Off The Map, was but the first of many guest stars to score a trip to Hawaii to guest-star on the new ABC series.

In the medical drama’s second outing, Cheech Marin (Lost) kicks off a multiple-episode run as Papa, a village medicine man who has a great love-hate relationship with Tommy (played by Friday Night Lights‘ Zach Gilford),” series creator Jenna Bans tells TVLine.

Also heading Off The Map is Elizabeth Peña (Down and Out In Beverly Hills), for “a great arc toward the end of the first season, as the mother of one of Lily’s (Caroline Dhavernas) ex-ex-ex-boyfriends,” says Bans. “She’s fantastic.”

Ed Begley Jr. (Gary Unmarried) will turn up as “a traveling dentist” who has a “great episode with Mamie Gummer,” while British actor Jonathan Cake (Six Degrees) will play “a guy who’s been in love with Zee (Valerie Cruz) for years and years,” setting up a brief triangle with Jason George‘s Otis.

Last but not least, TV vet Ralph Waite (The Waltons, NCIS) has been cast in a role that Bans would only describe as “shocking.”

Did you check out Off The Map‘s premiere Wednesday night at 10/9c? What’s your early prognosis?

Comments (16)

• I turned it off after about 10 minutes. Just was not working for me.

Comment by Jess – January 13, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It looks good, I’m going to keep watching.

Comment by Dijea – January 13, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good to know the LOST set is being put to good use.

Comment by AQ – January 13, 2011 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My feelings also.

Comment by Joanna – January 13, 2011 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe it’s me living in Hawai’i and I was a huge LOST fan but I can’t by the setting for this show. The actors and actresses are very hard to understand and there is no one on this show that I know. They are all new actors for me. I didn’t enjoy it at all. I also think that I have enough medical drama from GA and PP to tide me over. Those are two of the best shows on TV. I can’t buy using snake venom to heal someone. Just not my cup of tea. Maybe I should watch it again tonight to see if it is any better but I doubt it.

Comment by Thom Robinson – January 13, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the end credits said Puerto Rico? I may or may not put this on my list — but it’s on Wednesday. I’ll watch Blue Bloods live and keep this for the weekend when nothing else is on.

Comment by Joann – January 13, 2011 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOOOOVED IT!!!!!!!
    worried it’ll get canceled prematurely though like Life Unexpected :(((

Comment by Amanda – January 13, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it. I’m not too sure about the night though. I don’t think Cougar Town is the best lead in for this medical show.

Comment by Alexa – January 13, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to give it another chance, but after 1 epidode I’m not loving it. I agree with pp who said that the characters were hard to understand. Lots of mumbles and trailing off of lines. The medical procedures/crisis for this week and the preview are already so unrealistic, which is hard to stomach from the get-go. I have faith in Shonda, which is really the only reason I’ll try it again.

Only other thought is that it’s lame they didn’t run the “Otis” character over from Grey’s. This show may need the help of a crossover (it helped Private Practice from the start) if it flails and now they can’t do it.

Comment by Amy – January 13, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the premiere was okay. The highlight for me was seeing Caroline Dhavernas on my TV screen again (loved “Wonderfalls”). The scenery was beautiful (especially in HD). I’ll give it another look next week.

Comment by JeffDJ – January 13, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay jaye tyler! i LOVE caroline dhavernas! i was too excited about having her back on my tv screen i don’t think i was paying enough attention to the story itself. who knows? pp took a while to get their sea legs.

i’m so excited to see ralph waite! please don’t maim him, though. i don’t want to see that. oh, the horror! i wish he would reprise his role as grandpa hank booth on bones :(

Comment by mimi – January 13, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tuned in to see Mamie Gummer, who of course has the smallest role. The only person I really know besides her is Jason George, who has the second smallest role. It was sort of vaguely entertaining and not at all realistic, but I will probably watch at least a couple more episodes.

Comment by amy – January 13, 2011 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How the heck did I miss Cheech Marin on LOST?

Anyway, Ralph Waite rules and seems to have found a career resurgence on television. I know in one week, I saw him on Bones, NCIS and Days of our Lives (channel flipping… uh… yeah, that’s it).

Comment by toast – January 15, 2011 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d watch Zach Gilford and Caroline Dhavernas read the phone book. Add in some pretty tropical scenery and I’m good.

Comment by Mooshki – January 16, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loving the show, absolutely as does my entire family, and extended who watch it every Wednesday night. It’s so great to see some quality tv on finally, thanks!

Comment by Silky – February 2, 2011 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • was that salma blair on tonight’s episode?

Comment by Rose – March 16, 2011 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post