Breaking: ABC Renews Grey's, Castle and Four More - But Not Housewives

ABC kicked off its portion of the Television Critics Association midseason press tour by breaking a little news: The network has officially renewed six series — Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, Castle, Modern Family, The Middle and Cougar Town — through next season.

Conspicuously missing from the pickup list are Sunday staples Desperate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters. Although DH creator Marc Cherry has a deal in place for two more seasons, the show’s core quartet — Teri Hatcher, Felicity Huffman, Marcia Cross and Eva Longoria — will see their contracts expire at the end of the current season. As EW reported earlier this month, negotiations are already underway on new pacts that would keep them on Wisteria Lane for another season or two.

Brothers & Sisters, meanwhile, remains firmly on the bubble. Encouraging ratings this fall led ABC to increase the drama’s episode order from 18 to 22, but insiders say there’s a 50/50 chance the Walkers will bow out in May.

Cougar Town‘s pickup comes as the Courtney Cox comedy is about to relinquish its time slot to Matthew Perry’s Mr. Sunshine. ABC president Paul Lee told reporters at press tour this morning that he’s pleased with the show’s creative direction and ratings performance, but added that the cushy post-Modern Family perch serves as a “great launch pad for [new shows]… But we’re very pleased with [Cougar Town]. It’s really found its voice.”

1. Ben Phelps says:

Very glad to see Cougar Town on that list!

• MJ says:

Don’t like Cougar town anymore. They have too long of lines and jumbled thoughts. They have the men act sdtupid, not strong at all. Hate it.
      Desperate Housewives is good, kind of straining for good storylines. Bor Sis too many odd situations in one hour.

The Middle is really off key.
      Castle is great.
      Modern Family is okay.
      Gray’s is becoming desperate for lines.

2. hello says:

So basically won’t renew until cast signs, but honestly isn’t it time to quit

• AlistairCrane says:

It’s still a hit for ABC, producing decent ratings. I’m pretty sure it was one of the top 10 most watched scripted series of TwentyTen.

• Rolfe says:

It is beyond time to quit. I bet Eva Longoria thought it was a prank when she read last night’s script! A storyline about her being obsessed with a doll? Really? Is this Passions?

• Rebecca says:

Seriously? your comparing DH to Passions? She didn’t magically create the doll, she didn’t bring it to life. Carlos has taken everything of Grace out of the house. She’s not ‘Obsessed’ with the doll. This doll looks like her daughter that she may never see again. (Although this is tv so of course she will be back).

3. Eran SABANER says:

WOHOOOO! Cougar Town!

4. Ryan says:

Long as Cougar Town is back I’m happy.

5. AlistairCrane says:

YESSSS Cougar Town!!!!

Ok maybe I will give Mr. Sunshine a chance. I was going to boycott it since it’s replacing CT for 2 months, but since CT will be back next year, I’ll give it a shot.

Awesome news!!! Michael and ABC just made my day!!

6. Nick says:

I really hope Brothers & Sisters gets picked up for another season but if they don’t I hope they are notified in time to end the series well.

• John Bristol says:

I really like B&S. Hope they don’t end it! And if they call it off, I think there will be a lot of drama!

• Carol says:

Cougar Town is the most ridiculous show on TV. No one acts or talks like that. People must want to suspend reality for the half hour to watch that show.
      Brothers and Sisters is well written, realistic show. One of my favorites.

7. Tom says:

I think B&S could pull one more season. It’s just better when a show can have one entire season already planned to be its last. I think DH will go on, it’s just a matter of “for how long?”.

• Randie says:

I thought brothers and sisters was very well written and should at least come back for another season. It was very entertaining. I will miss them if the show doesn’t return

8. PV says:

Yay for Cougartown!! Its so funny, I look forward to it every week.

Also glad to see Castle renewed. Nathan Fillion should always be on my tv.

Only two more on my list of hope-for-renewals: Fringe and Sanctuary!

9. Jen says:

Yay for castle!!!

10. tvgirl48 says:

Hooray for Cougar Town getting renewed! It has been amazing this season

11. Eran says:

Desperate Housewives wants putting out of its misery. Another season and it will begin treading ‘Charmed’ territory, a bad omen by all means. The characters are by now about as sympathetic as Kirsty Alley was on ‘Fat Actress’, the storylines are monotonous and flat, and well, when you’re cheering when one of the main protagonists is being stampeded over during a riot, you know that something’s just gone.

They really, really ought to bow out now with what little grace the show’s got left.

12. Carrie says:

PENNY CAN!!!!!!

Love the love for Cougar Town from ABC and from the commenters here!!!!

13. Alberto says:

I hope for another season of Desperate Housewives, but with all the cast!!
    And I also hope this is the last season of Brothers & Sisters, the show became sooo boring!!

About Grey’s Anatomy… It’s true that Meredith and Derek will leave after this season?? If so, I’m so sad about the renewal!!! :(((

• Gladys says:

I think PatricK Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo are on until the end of season 8, so technically we have Meredith and Derek still for the next season…or so I hope. That being said…I’m glad it was renewed for next season, I want to see a proper end for MerDer if the next is their last season.

14. Sarah! says:

Yay for the middle and castle!! Two of my fav tv shows are on for another season! But no Better w/you? I guess it’s still early. It’s one of the better new shows this season. I hope I’ll pull through. :)

• Elaine says:

I agree with you 100%. The Middle is so funny! and I think Better With You is hysterical! The casts of BOTH shows are so perfect.

• lucy says:

Better with you got canceled after this season. I was starting to get into it too. too bad

15. Jenna says:

Yayy!! Grey’s & Private Practice renewed! <3

16. Linzy says:

Grey’s has been outstanding lately, so I’m very happy to see that it’s been renewed already.

17. AlistairCrane says:

I love how naysayers (particularly on EW.com) think CT’s ratings mean doom, but Courteney Cox gave an interview at the beginning of the season where she came out and said something to the effect of, “As long as CT remains steady in the ratings, it’ll be around for 5 seasons”. So as long as CT doesn’t drop, hopefully we’ll get at least two more years after the third season!

18. baxter928 says:

cougar town – really? it just a grown-up version of friends with monica drinking wine instead of coffee – BORING!!!

• Carol says:

Agreed. And they all talk exactly the same, even the son. Come on that’s not good television, that’s some high school reality show.

19. Oleg says:

Marc, and what about Better with You? Personally, is my fave show on Laugh On, have solid ratings and good retention.

20. Kim says:

Castle? Yeah!!!! I bet Nathan is ecstatic.

21. Stephanie says:

Is Better With You canceled?? Or just not renewed yet?

22. If Desperate Housewives doesn’t pick up this season who cares if it doesn’t get renewed.

23. Aron says:

Brothers & Sisters should get at least 13 episodes for the next season, so they can write a really good ending to the most “warm” show on television.

24. James says:

What’s ABC gonna replace Brothers and Sisters with? Detroit? No Ordinary? Aren’t they all tanking?

They better hope Off The Map performs well. Otherwise, renewing B&S should be a no brainer. Sunday is a very competitive night, and the show continues to hold its own.

25. E says:

I hope B&S stays around for at least another season! it has such great heart and can also be very funny!!!! I feel that this season, they regrouped and are doing a great job of telling each persons story. If they’re going to cancel it, I hope they take the time to wrap everything up really well.

26. Alysse says:

I’m a big fan of Desperate Housewives but I honestly have to say I really hope it doesn’t get picked up because I think the show is really slacking in the storylines and drama. Its definitely not the Desperate Housewives I’ve grown to love. You can tell the lack of effort the writers have had these past few seasons and its just sad. I think the spark of this show has been out for a while & it doesn’t feel the same. I can’t imagine the writers having any more storylines for these characters up their sleeves. They should just end the show now before it gets really out of control. If it is its last season they need to pull it together and end the show in a big way so at least the fans won’t be that disappointed.

27. Cassie says:

CASTLEEEEEE~ HELL YEAH!

28. Rowan says:

Happy for Castle, Grey’s and Modern Family renewals – but just ticked pink that Cougar Town was picked up. One of most consistently funny sitcoms on TV. My friend has a boat in her driveway. Lets all go over and play Penny Can!

29. Rolfe says:

So excited to hear that Cougar Town will be coming back. ABC has a hot comedy block on their hands. I’m excited to see Mr. Sunshine.

I really hope ABC will pick up Brothers and Sisters for another season. It is the strongest show on their Sunday night.

30. lontanissima says:

nooooooooooooooo B&S and DW are my favorite…. I’ll gonna miss them soooooo much… :( only hope is in a good ending for this fantastic series!

31. Machloop says:

I’m just surprised that Private Practice has survived for another year. This spin off should have been spun off long ago – it really frakkin sucks.

• PGP says:

Speak for yourself! I’m loving Private Practice this season. In fact, at times I enjoy it more than it’s mother show Grey’s Anatomy. I’m glad both shows earned a renewal.

• Cathy says:

I’m glad they are both renewed also.

• PrP says:

i agree about grey’s. but actually i didn’t like this season of private practice as much as i liked awesome season 3. grey’s has lost it since izzie left though i love teddy. i hate to say that this should be the end of grey’s- before it gets even worse

32. Summer says:

Modern Family and Cougar Town are returning.

I don’t care about anything else.

33. Lynne says:

Yay for Castle, Greys and Private Practice for surviving for another season! Defiently the news about Castle has made my day!!! :D

34. Auds says:

UGH. I could care less about any shows on ABC any longer… ever since they made the horrible decision to cancel Pushing Dasies, Eli Stone & Flash Forward, while keeping crap like Grey’s Anatomy & awful pointless reality shows on, I vowed to NEVER AGAIN watch anything on that horrid station.

35. Mia says:

Private Practice has actually been good this season never really liked until now. DH should be put out of its misery, they lost me two seasons ago. Haven’t watched B&S all this year to be honest Parenthood just does it so much better. The final straw was when Rob Lowe left the show.

• PGP says:

While I enjoy B and S this season still, I agree Parenthood simply does it better! Parenthood is my favorite show on TV. Unfortunately, Parenthood is also on the bubble!

36. godzilla_foil says:

While I deeply dislike the two Shondas, they’re still being watched and making money, even if the storylines are WAY past their primes. So keep them.

Now, why the heck would they renew Desperate Housewives?? And Cougar Town is one of those unjustifiable shows: ok, let’s have it for a first season to know what it’s about; then there’s nothing; the second season is already a mistake; and then they renew that suckfest?

37. Darcy says:

Glad for CT and Modern Family. Love them. I don’t care for Better w/ You at all, or Castle. I love B&S, but I don’t mind if it ends.

CT does extremely well for the fact it starts halfway through an hour block, that is filled with dramas on other networks. It’s main audience comes from carry-over viewers from Modern Family. Unless the ratings slip under 5 million for the majority of a season, it’s all good.

38. Cia says:

I hope Brothers and Sisters is renewed. I love that show.

39. Emilyy says:

Yes! Castle for another season. My life is made. :) Go Castle! <3

40. Cathy says:

I hope B&S stays on love the show! A great cast of characters, good story lines and funny.

41. Cathy says:

I really like Parenthood, hope it stays on! I always watch that and record The Good Wife, both great shows!

42. Teresa says:

Oh PLEASE don’t cancel desperate housewifes.That show and Army Wives are my favorites.

• Elaine says:

I like Army Wives when I can find it. I never know when it’s on. DH lost me as a viewer 2 seasons ago too. Had enough of them.

43. Stavan says:

Happy that Cougar town will be back!!!

44. valeruia says:

i am very happy for castle.Y love this series ,it”s fany,intrusting,more action,and a “little” love.This couple,Beckhet and Castle its perfect.

45. Gwen says:

YAYY! So glad that The Middle has been renewed. I’ve been avidly watching this show over here in The U.K over the summer and I love it. I came online today looking to see if there’s another series to look forward to so thanks for the good news.