Wonder Woman Reboot Shelved

Warner Bros. Television’s high-profile Wonder Woman reboot is going to be much like the superheroine’s signature jet: invisible.

As reported by Deadline.com’s Nellie Andreeva, David E. Kelley’s contemporary take on the iconic franchise has been shelved after all five broadcast networks passed on his script.

Last month, Kelley — best known for law shows like Ally McBeal, The Practice and Boston Legal — acknowledged to Zap2it that, “It’s a very, very different genre for me, a very tricky beast. I won’t know whether I’ve cracked it or not until I’ve finished it, but it’s going… If I can’t, I don’t want to delude Warner Bros. or anybody else that I should be doing it. The way I’ve always worked has been to write a script and discover, in the process of the writing, if it’s a fertile and creative place where I want to live. If I feel I can make the characters my own and it’s a world rich enough for me to revisit, that’s a good sign to me that it’s a series worth doing.”

1. Bazinga! says:

Smart move on the networks part. I really don’t see any of these old genre type of shows looking anything but corney. I tried Ordinary Family and I could barely sit through it. This is coming from someone who LOVED Bionic Man/Woman, Wonderwoman, the Hulk. Even if David E. Kelley came up with an “original” idea in the superhero format, I don’t think it would do well. You could say Smallville has done well, but that’s on the CW which started out as a teen-type show.

• AlistairCrane says:

Not smart at all. There is a huge fanbase for comic book characters, and the networks are stupid to not appeal to them.

• Bazinga! says:

@AllistairCrane – then riddle me this…why did The Cape get such poor ratings? I personally don’t know if it’s based on a comic book series, but you would think it would appeal to that demographic. Anyway, I don’t think David E. Kelley is the right man for the job.

2. Michael says:

It was just the wrong choice of an E/P and script writer. david e kelly is not someone who writes science fiction. he does drama. Take someone like JJ abhams and give him the option of doing wonder woman. Or Give it back to Joss Whedon, he would probably kill it.

3. gillen says:

wonder woman? what angle could they possibly tap with the comic heroine? its would turn out a generic of smallville. havent she wonder why until now (xept for Smallville) no big names touched any of the major label superheroes for TV. its because Smallville is still at the helm. Welling will crush any of it from its pre production. and JJ Abrahams wouldnt go for super super hero.

4. liz says:

they should give wonder woman to the producers of smallville and have it be on the cw. girl power, it’s right up their alley. while at it, the producers of smallville should also work on “star city” with oliver/green arrow continuing the good fight in his real home base city.