The Ranch Finale Recap: Colt Receives an Alarming Call — Is [Spoiler] OK?

Warning: The following recap contains spoilers from the Part 3 finale of The Ranch. If you do not wish to be spoiled, bookmark for safekeeping and return once you’ve finished all 10 episodes.

Is there enough whiskey in the world to get the Bennett family through the potential heartbreak that awaits them?

In the Part 3 finale of The Ranch, Maggie contemplates leaving Garrison with wandering musician Clint (recurring guest star Lou Diamond Phillips). Meanwhile, Colt struggles to balance his time between two jobs, girlfriend Abby and baby mama Heather.

Colt, already spreading himself too thin, begins making promises he can’t keep. He and Abby set aside two hours on a Friday afternoon to finally be alone, but plans change after he pays a visit to Heather, who asks that he join her at the OB/GYN to find out the sex of the baby. Having agreed to be there for Heather every step of the way, Colt is forced to bail on Abby, leaving the couple with no choice but to try and squeeze in a quickie during Colt’s shift at Safeway. After “interrupting” an employee’s surprise party, they relocate to the teacher’s lounge at Abby’s school, only to once again get caught, this time by a pervy janitor. (Better luck gettin’ lucky next time!)

Once Maggie decides to take off with Clint, she calls up Jerry (recurring guest star Martin Mull) to see if there’s  still an offer on the bar. Unfortunately, the prospective buyer is no longer interested, leaving her in quite a bind. That’s when Rooster steps up and agrees to take over the bar, freeing his mother to proceed with her travels. Colt, meanwhile, isn’t doing anything to make her feel good about her decision. He initially leaves in a huff when she comes to tell him the news, and later guilt-trips her about skipping town just as she’s about to become a grandmother.

The Bennetts eventually gather back at the family ranch, where Colt half-heartedly apologizes for hurting Maggie’s feelings. As they toast her forthcoming trip over whiskey, Colt’s phone rings with a frantic Mary on the other line. Heather’s in the hospital, and it’s not clear if the baby is alright. As he rushes out of the house to get to her, the episode fades to black. (As for what happens next? Well, if past breaks between half-seasons of The Ranch are any indication, we’ll find out in 6-8 months.)

What did you think of The Ranch’s latest cliffhanger? Grade the finale, as well as Part 3 via the following polls, then drop your thoughts in a comment below.

1. Tom says:

The only thing I didn’t like about this season was that Lou Diamond Phillips wasn’t playing his character from Longmire. Only two shows that are set in that region of the country, on the same platform… c’mon Netflix.

I typically don’t care for cliffhangers, but since they do 2 sets of episodes a year its not that bad. For my money she is going to be fine, the baby is going to be fine, but it will draw Colt closer to her, and away Abby.

2. Jake says:

I have really enjoyed the show, but the whole Abby-Heather drama feels ridiculous and drawn out too long. Watching somebody try to walk both sides of a fence is repetitive. It is as if you are kind of watching the same episode again and again when it comes to their story-line.

3. LaDonna says:

We are late to The Ranch party, but spent the entire weekend binge-watching Parts 1-3. I’d been dragging my feet about watching because I’m really not a big Cutcher fan, but this show is SO much fun! We were hooked all the way through to the Part 3 finale!

• Gail robertson says:

Binge watched in theee nights. Sort of don’t like the baby being in the picture. Like Colt and Abby being together. Anxious fir next season. Wish it always soon!

4. Ashley Daugherty says:

Heather should have gotten the abortion. Neither she nor Colt need that pregnancy. It only complicates life for everyone. Yet another show where abortion is bad and the “right thing” is having it. When will see abortion portrayed in a positive light? It is the right choice for millions of women!

• Mike Austin says:

I never thought I would get hooked on a sitcom – but bring it on – I love this show!!

With any luck, never….

• Ashley Daugherty says:

I disagree with any luck abortion will soon have the taboo removed and people will see it as the positive choice it is and has been for millions of women.

• BarryFlash says:

Abortion IS BAD!!!!!! It should never be portrayed in a positive light. It’s hard to believe that there are human beings who are ok with killing unborn babies. Be glad that you weren’t aborted!

• Ashley Daugherty says:

Abortion is most certainly not bad! And yes it most certainly well passed time to remove the taboo and portray it as the positive medical procedure it is :) Also nothing is killed, you have to be born first before you can be killed and embryos are not babies. If I had been aborted I would not be here to care one way or the other and that would have been my mother’s right and choice. Moot point fallacy argument you have there.

• Kashnkyesmommy says:

I have held my child.. who was born at 23 weeks in my arms and watched him gasp for air.. saw his heart beat from his chest.. watched him pee and poop.. miscarried twins at 8 weeks gestation and seeing their little hands, so perfect. I watched my 33 week & 34 weeker sons fight for their life in NICU for 2 weeks.

There is no agrument here. Embryos are babies.. at 8 weeks, at 23, and at 34 weeks gestation. Ive seen and held all.. ive cried and prayed for them to live..while people like you purposely kill the only thing that is innocent in this world… because its the mothers choice. Where was my choice when i wanted all of my babies? Im sure you could pop out 20 babies and they all be perfectly healthy (unless you abort them, ofcourse) and mothers that pray and weep to just feel life in their womb cant have one. God have mercy on you.

• Ashley Daugherty says:

No actually embryos are not babies. Pick up a biology book on the stages of development an eight week old embryo is not the same as a newborn in a variety of ways. It lacks sentience and consciousness it also does not have the synapses to relay information to the brain. It is basically nothing. Sorry but your personal feelings and experiences are anecdotal and in no way obligate a woman to continue a pregnancy she does not want. Yes, it is the mother’s choice if she wants to continue a pregnancy or not as well it should be! Sorry you miscarried but that in no way obligates a stranger to continue a pregnancy. Your experience is irrelevant to another woman’s pregnancy and choice. Who would want 20 babies? And who could afford them? I will pass thanks and yes if my BC fails I will abort. I never want to be pregnant! I do not believe in your god. According to the Jewish faith life begins at fist breath I.E. birth. I agree with the Jews on this. What do the infertile have to do with women who choose abortion? Oh wait that’s right nothing.

• S says:

Doctors and medical science disagree with you. Also, the earliest preterm fetus to survive in the world was born at 21 weeks and 5 days in 1981.

But sure, let’s take medical advice from someone who only identifies as ‘kashnkyesmommy’

• Tiffany says:

It’s a woman’s right to make that choice. She has to live with that decision no one else does. Unless you are going to help pay for every unplanned pregnancy out there you have no right to judge anyone.

5. Jennifer Ann Janisse says:

I hate abby. She rude and not right for colt.

6. Victoria says:

Love this show!!! Bring the DAMN thing back!!!!@@

7. Victoria says:

Addictive!! Need this show back A.S.A.P

8. Phil says:

Love the show! Please bring season 4 soon.

9. Daniel says:

I’M SO READY FOR THIS SHOW TO COME BACK!!!

10. Chase says:

Abby is an absolute insufferable cgaracter.

11. Tricia says:

Binge watched season 3, can’t wait for season 4 with more than 10 episodes!

12. Kurtis says:

Need to make more episodes at once. 10 episodes isn’t enough for such a great show.

13. Tiffany says:

Ohh please don’t have Heather have a miscarriage! I’ll cry like a baby and won’t watch the rest. Oooh have her have twin boys that would be awesome and fun to run with!!