Grey's Anatomy Spoilers

Grey's Anatomy's Ellen Pompeo Teases the Ep That Will 'Make Everybody Cry'

Grey’s Anatomy is staging a gut-wrenching hour for leading lady Ellen Pompeo‘s directorial debut on March 30 (ABC, 8/7c). But the actress wasn’t plagued with butterflies during her first experience behind the camera, despite the heavy material handed to her.

“I’ve been doing this show for 13 seasons, so I wasn’t really nervous about any of the scenes, not to sound arrogant,” Pompeo said during a PaleyFest panel Sunday, which kicked off with a screening of her directorial debut. “I was more nervous about the technical aspects… I have the best cast in the world to work with.”

Pompeo also thanked her mentor, Grey’s director-producer-actress Debbie Allen, for convincing her to take on the challenge. “This force of nature wouldn’t take no for an answer,” Pompeo said, pointing to Allen. “And I’m forever grateful to her for that spirit of generosity.”

As for the episode’s storyline, Pompeo said, “I couldn’t wait to make everybody cry.” (Spoiler alert: There may be a pivotal-ish death.)

More highlights from the panel:

* Nathan Riggs’ affection for one Meredith Grey may be putting him in the crosshairs of Mer-Der fans, but his portrayer, Martin Henderson, noted, “It’s been wonderful to play a character who’s been sort of polarizing and a mystery.” Speaking of Nathan and Meredith’s nascent romance, Henderson teased, “It’s impossible to be a great man without a good woman by your side.”

* Get ready for Maggie’s storyline to take a turn. “I think major life events enable you to shift your perspective and reevaluate what you think is important to you,” Kelly McCreary previewed.

* Reflecting on Arizona’s new romance with Eliza, Jessica Capshaw said, “There’s a real light and a real energy [to actress Marika Domińczyk]. I have no idea if she’s The One, but it’s been really fun” to explore their relationship.

* Jesse Williams hopes to see more of Jackson’s father, played by Eric Roberts. “I think there’s a lot left to do there,” he shared. Added Allen cryptically: “We’ve planted a lot of seeds this season, and that’s one… But there’s more coming.” As for Jackson’s dynamic with his ex-wife April following last week’s hookup, Sarah Drew would only say that “there’s so much love there, there’s so much respect, they know each other so well… They will always be one another’s person.”

* Owen and Amelia aren’t faring so well at the moment, much to his dismay, because “he desperately wants a baby,” Kevin McKidd explained. “Owen’s really struggling. He’s a very tortured guy. He thinks the thing that’s going to fix him is to have a family with this beautiful woman.”

* “The end of this season is hot,” Allen teased.

1. Pivotal-ish death = Maggie’s mom will return and then die.

• LaDonna says:

Why did my first thought turn to Richard?

• A fan of TV says:

Because you forgot she had parents other than him for a sec? Don’t worry, I, too​, immediately thought Richard, but decided calling Richard’s death ‘pivotal-ish’ was impossible. No ish if Richard dies, would impact Catherine, Maggie, definitely Meredith and Bailey… Everyone, really.

• LaDonna says:

Yeah, when you add the “ish” to “pivotal”, that does eliminate Richard. That would be far beyond “ish”. But when you take that into account, yeah, it’s gotta be Maggie’s mom. Especially when coupled with the comment about a “major life event” and Maggie’s story line taking a turn. I just know how much Shonda likes to kill off major characters…and it’s been awhile.

• Ryan says:

I’m convinced Richard will die either in the series finale, or in the very last run of episodes to play out the aftermath. Shonda’s final blow to these poor, cursed characters.

2. Oh great … who dies now. ….

3. Yoko says:

No Riggs with Meredith! No no no! Bring back Owen’s missing sister who we all know is not really dead and find an actual charismatic and handsome guy for Meredith!

4. Eric7740 says:

Hopefully this can salvage this lackluster season!

5. jovana says:

They’ll kill off Maggie’s mom.

6. Alabama says:

I like the idea of Riggs and Meredith, Derek been dead awhile now she needs a lovery in her life.

7. z says:

“The end of this season is hot.”

A fire will break out then probably a gas leak or something and will kill, most likely, Edwards.

• Todd says:

Haha, I’ve often thought a hospital fire is one catastrophe they haven’t thrown in there yet, so it’s only a matter of time. Still, given the comments about Maggie in this panel, I think Maggie’s mom will die.

8. Haddy says:

Am I the only one who thinks Arizona+Eliza are goddamn awful? The Eliza actress is pretty bad and comes off more creepy than romantic IMO.

9. Cheri says:

I would love it if the death was Amelia so that Owen could find a woman who is not constantly leaving him. I have watched the show non-stop and for the life of me…I can not remember what her current problem is. It’s always something. Why did she leave Owen? Can someone enlighten me?
    I know it’s an ongoing theme with the character and the show…but she can’t just let herself be happy?
    I am fine with Nathan and Meredith. It’s been long enough since Derek.

• 2MuchTV says:

This time she left Owen because she does not want to face a pregnancy and possible repeat of what happened on Private Practice (giving birth to a baby who won’t live long). Once again, no kids for Owen.

• cherialyon says:

That is what I thought, but its so annoying. Not that it’s not realistic that she would feel this way, but C’MON…how would they not have this conversation when this is the reason he is not with Christina?
        I realize that this is pretty much Amelia and Owen’s entire storyline…they rushed into it! That doesn’t make it any less annoying.

• Hannah says:

Thing is, they did have that conversation. And Amelia has expressed multiple times that she wanted to have kids, so poor Owen thought he found someone who was on the same page as him. Her freak out happened after they thought she might be pregnant but wasn’t.

10. Alyson says:

The death will probably be Edwards, since she’s leaving the show.

Whatever it is, I hope it’s interesting. I’m pretty ride or die with this show, but this season has been kind of terrible.

11. Greys has not been very good this year. Yes, I still watch, but honestly, if it were cancelled, I wouldn’t be bothered about it anymore.

12. Allie says:

One of her kids maybe ??

13. EM says:

Death will be terminal for Maggie’s mom but will impact more than just Maggie. This season has been a snooze and I hate that they are going to throw crap on the wall and see what sticks for next season. Has any story line moved this season? For me, not so much. If they throw it all in for the last few episodes, I will feel cheated.

14. Wendy Phillips says:

I have been a huge fan of Grey’s anatomy since the very first episode. Every time one of “the origionals” leave it has not made me happy. Especially now that there are only 4 left standing that have been there since season 1 episode 1 “A hard Days Night” I am a giant fan of Justin Chambers have loved him from the very beginning. Alex, Izzy, Meredith and Derek are and were the characters I watch the show to see. So when Is a and Derek left the show it was upsetting to say the least. But if Alex ever were to leave the show I don’t think I would watch it anymore. I don’t think that I would miss or even care if Edwards left. To be quite honest I don’t think would notice.

15. Dorrie Barker says:

Let Owen adopt a child, later finding out it is one of the staffs child given up for adoption, years ago