Mark Burnett is clarifying his stance on his former Apprentice host Donald Trump.
In a statement released Wednesday, the TV producer says, “Given all the false media reports, I feel compelled to clarify a few points. I am not now and have never been a supporter of Donald Trump’s candidacy. I am NOT ‘Pro-Trump.’ Further, my wife and I reject the hatred, division and misogyny that has been a very unfortunate part of his campaign.”
These strong words come after many in the media pressed Burnett to release unaired footage from Trump’s time on The Apprentice, hoping that something as explosive as Friday’s video with Trump making sexist comments to Billy Bush might lie in Burnett’s archives. Burnett said in a statement on Monday that he wasn’t legally able to release any footage, which had some speculating he was trying to protect Trump. (Celebrity attorney Gloria Allred held a news conference on Tuesday calling on Burnett to release the footage.)
Trump hosted NBC’s The Apprentice, which Burnett created, from its 2004 debut until last year, when NBC dropped him following his remarks about Mexicans being “murderers” and “rapists.” Former Apprentice producer Bill Pruitt hinted on Twitter that he recalls “far worse” footage of Trump from his time on the show.