Post Mortems

Rookie Blue Boss on Series Finale-Like Ending, Andy and Sam's Wedding, [Spoiler]'s Goodbye and Season 7

Warning: The following contains spoilers for Thursday’s episode of Rookie Blue.

Wedding bells were ringing on Thursday’s Rookie Blue finale as Andy and Sam finally got hitched after six seasons of running away from each other, to each other and everything in between.

As romantic as the nuptials were — after a wedding dress-clad Andy helped a man on the side of the road who had been stabbed by a crazy hitchhiker — there was a certain amount of uncertainty for the characters and viewers. While Sam wondered where his MIA bride was, fans were left questioning if the episode was the show’s last. Executive producer Tassie Cameron didn’t know the drama’s fate when she penned the hour — and still doesn’t! — so she set out to craft a fulfilling ending.

I knew it was my last episode as showrunner,” Cameron says. “We weren’t sure what was going to happen, so we tried to make it a satisfying conclusion in case it is the end of the show, but with lots of openings to indicate new kinds of characters if we were to reboot the series. It’s more conclusive than some of our season enders, which have been a bit more cliffhanger-y.”

Read on as Cameron talks about Andy and Sam’s vows, Nick’s future, the twist that rocked 15 Division and more.

TVLINE | How did you decide which characters would get more of a conclusion and which, like Chris and Gail, would have less of a happy ending or an unclear one?
From the time that I started with this show, I had imagined a happy ending with Sam and Andy. I love wedding episodes, I love wedding movies, and I always hoped we’d get that far with [Andy]. So the primary goal for me was trying to make sure that love affair was tied up in a way that was satisfying and that we earned over six seasons. And then the other characters, I don’t know that it was a conscious decision to leave some people a little more open-ended than others. It just depended on the arc of their season.

TVLINE | Let’s talk about the wedding and my No. 1 question: How did Andy manage to keep her dress so clean?!
[Laughs] That’s the beauty of television, Vlada. We had two dresses. I would have liked it if the dress was a tiny bit dirtier, actually, a little bloodier by the end. But you don’t want her going down the aisle in a big, bloody dress… We actually just let her wear the dress and do the scene with the guy in the car and then whatever was on the dress was what she walked down the aisle in. She actually didn’t get that dirty.

TVLINE | And thank you for not letting her get hurt or hit by a car or attacked by the woman before her wedding.
[Laughs] You’re welcome. We were never planning on injuring or putting either of those two characters’ lives in danger. But we did want to throw Andy a big dilemma, which is, does she do the right thing as a police officer and as a person or does she get to the church on time?

TVLINE | Did Sam really doubt Andy would show up?
Andy McNally has run away from him in the past. And if there was ever an obstacle in their way that she could conceivably run away from, it might be getting married to a man who has a baby with another woman. But I don’t know that we were ever trying to play it for him really doubting. It was more concern — “Where she is? What happened to her?”

TVLINE | The vows were so lovely. What was it like writing those?
It was hard and easy at the same time. It was strange. I wrote them in one sitting, cried a lot and then worked on them with the actors and [director] David [Wellington]. We really worked on them, word by word, to make sure they were authentic and that the actors believed them. We ultimately stayed very close to the first draft that I wrote. I’ve never been married, so I just wrote versions of what I would want to say. [Laughs]

TVLINE | I know Andy requested Marlo not be there, but did you ever consider having her and the baby at the wedding, maybe as a gesture?
We didn’t really consider that, actually. It seemed like Marlo would be thoughtful enough not to want to be there, even if Andy and Sam had invited them — and we really wanted one perfect, obstacle-free night for McSwarek.

TVLINE | We never learned what name Sam and Marlo gave their daughter. Is there a reason?
I don’t think we ever named their daughter — or if we did, I can’t remember it. Open to viewer suggestions!

TVLINE | What was the intention behind the final scene between Nick and Andy?
It felt we owed it to that storyline and to those two characters to have a moment of goodbye and forgiveness and gentle [exchange to convey], “I’m happy for you,” and “I’m happy for you, too.” [We wanted to] show that he had forgiven her and that he was moving on and that she was happy for him, as well.

ERIN KARPLUK, PETER MOONEYTVLINE | Was this Nick’s goodbye to the show, as well?
It could be. I don’t know. That’s up to [new showrunner] Sherry White. Nick is a great character, and if there’s another season, I wouldn’t be surprised if he found his way back to the show.

TVLINE | When Chloe catches the bouquet, is that your way of saying, “No matter what happens, Dov and Chloe are going to be together. They’re meant to be”?
That was my way of saying that, yeah. I love that couple. I think they’re awesome. They’ve been through a lot and have come out the other end in a pretty solid way. That was my way of saying, “I believe in those two. I ship those two.” [Laughs]

TVLINE | There were some shakeups at the Division, mainly with Duncan being transferred and Nick leaving, but not as many as you’d expect given Jarvis’ warning. Why did you decide to keep everyone together at 15?
When Oliver says at the end, “You guys aren’t the problem. You’re the solution,” we believed that to be true of these characters. They are all very different kinds of police officers, but over six seasons, they’ve proven themselves to have heart and balls and courage. We thought promoting three of them to training officer was a really nice way to open a new season if there was one — and end the show if there wasn’t.

ADAM MACDONALDTVLINE | Speaking of shakeups, when did you know Steve would be the corrupt officer?
We decided it at the beginning of the season. We had to arc that out quite carefully. It was more of a continuing storyline for us than we normally do. Actually, I think we knew it in Season 5. We knew that Santana was going to be involved with this and he was going to have an inside man. We knew probably midway through Season 5 that we were going to focus in on Steve Peck. We’d always felt that he was the most authentic person to have that kind of moral grayness in him. Since the very first time we met him, his partner was a dirty cop. It felt true to us.

TVLINE | Where would you place the odds of a seventh season?
Every day that goes forward without a renewal seems like it’s tipping toward it being the final season. But I’ve been surprised before, so who knows?

TVLINE | If there is a Season 7, will you have any input?
We arranged that I would be a consultant on Season 7, if there was one. It’s a hard job. Sherry doesn’t need me, but probably it’s my way of still trying to stay involved because I care. But it’s also important for me to move on creatively and try to figure out something else. I’ve thought about nothing but the show and these characters for six seasons now. It’s been very, very nice for me to take a break and think about other ideas and spend more time with my daughter and get my life together.

Rookie Blue fans, are you happy with how things wrapped up for Andy & Co.? Do you want another season, or are you satisfied?

1. sladewilson says:

If it is the series finale – nice ending. And I ship Dov and Chloe too….

2. Mary mcgee says:

Season 7 please please please. So much more could be told. A nice wholesome show and of course it goes away. Not right!!

3. Mr. Tran K says:

I give the season finale of Rookie Blue an A. The ending feels like a “series finale” and I really hope it gets renewed soon for a proper final season but it will be very sad if the cop drama ends after six.

• Murica! says:

This season was filmed two years ago. I doubt there is any change of renewal at this point.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Couldn’t agree more but who knows whether or not Rookie Blue deserves to get renewed for a proper final season and I don’t know what the network’s decision will be within days, weeks.

• Bella Sorella says:

How was the finale filmed two years ago?

• Melys says:

Season 6 was actually filmed as part of season 5. The network divided the episodes and made two seasons of the one so they would not have to renew any actors’ contracts. So the last episode was actually recorded in 2013 when they did the season five recordings.

• Jennifer says:

It actually was filmed in 2014. They were still filming s6(s5 part b) when season 5 was on. Filming concluded in October 2014.

4. lauren says:

It better be renewed i love this show.

5. please have a season 7 there are not very many good summer shows and we love this one. hate reality shows. rookie blue is serious and funny its one show i will let my children watch.

• Steve Riddle says:

I agree 110% My wife and I love this show and all the characters! And it seems like every time we get involved with a Great show it gets cancelled. So Please Renew and keep it going for another 6 years

• I agree Steve Riddle! They always seem to cancel all the good shows and leave those stupid reality shows on. Get rid of them and keep good ones like Rookie Blue, Unforgettable, and others that are good!

• kay wilson says:

Absolutely agree with all of these comments. It’s such a good summer show!

6. Kathy says:

Great series! Please renew it!! I love the characters!!

7. B says:

I loved the finale but was so sad that this might be the end. Please do season7!!! This is the best summer show and I don’t want it to end.

8. Tab Bagwell says:

Please don’t let this Show end !!!

9. Evie says:

Love the show!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE renew! I too don’t like reality TV. Reality TV should be called phony TV because it sucks! Hands down Season 7 is a must!

10. Steve kline says:

Season 7, Yes!

11. RookieFan says:

I NEED a season 7!!! This is my favorite show right now! Don’t take that away from me!!!!!!

12. Deborah Wollum says:

Really enjoyed Rookie Blue. Great characters, well rounded show. Will be very disappointed if there is not a season 7, so please continue the show!

13. A. Gonzalez says:

Love the show, We need more episodes plz#7.

14. kara says:

loved the finale but still hoping for s7

15. Eric says:

Ugh….Ive been watching since the 1st episode…very sad to see it possibly be coming to an end. There is so much more to be told,many more ways to drift the characters also.please please let this continue. There isn’t another show like it. Writers and producers should pay attention to fans it’s only right to keep this going

16. SoCalTrav says:

I also want to see a Rookie Blue season #7. Great show, great cast and great storyline. This is by far the best summer show on TV. Please bring it back!!

17. Nate says:

There MUST be a season 7! Please, oh please. There is so much dreck during the summer months, “Rookie Blue” is just an awesome way to enjoy a time when not much else is on. There’s still so much to tell. Dov/Chloe isn’t complete & Chris needs a relationship. It was great seeing Celery in the finale. Where’s she been the whole season? lol.

18. Jessica says:

This is my favorite show on television! It has excellent story lines and amazing characters. The actors and actresses are some of the best I have seen. I really hope they keep going with season 7. I would really miss this show! Although… I request a longer air time. It started season 1 with 13 episodes, then went to 12, and now it’s only 10. It really is a bummer to have such a short season and only air once a year.

19. rossieoregon says:

Please bring back this awesome show for another season. It would be even better if Nick comes back too!

20. rebecca says:

I need another season, definitely not ready to say goodbye to Gail just yet.

21. GraceM says:

Of all the guests to be at this wedding where were Frank and Noelle?

Especially since Noelle was the one who sent an undercover cop to 15 Division in the fisrt place.

• Beckers0505 says:

That’s a good point. I did enjoy seeing Celery. We haven’t see. Her in a long time!!

• Kalima says:

So true. I never understood why they got rid of Frank and Noelle. I liked them. The writers act like they couldn’t give them a story line after the baby. They definitely should’ve been at the wedding being this may be the end.

22. Beckers0505 says:

This has been my favorite summer show since the beginning! I have loved Andy and Sam since the beginning as well! So happy they got married and finly seem totally happy! It was a wonderful episode and I would love for there to be a 7th season. However, if that didn’t happen this was a perfect send off!

23. Rose Cobb says:

It was a good ending for the season finale. I love this show and truly hope there is a season 7 which includes Nick. He is one of my favorite characters.

24. rjj says:

We NEED a 7th season!!

25. Louise says:

Need more Rookie Blue

26. Pat says:

I finally had a chance to watch this On Demand this morning and it was fantastic. It definitely looked like a series finale and I will be sad if it turns out to be just that.

27. kate says:

The last 5 minutes were just perfect and Oliver looking at Andy at the end because he was his training officer and now she is training officers…this scene brought tears. Seeing how much these characters have grown over six years, I feel like they are ready to go out on their own. The show has changed over the years and has grown with the characters. I always look forward to Rookie Blue in the summer and will really miss it. Well done, Rookie Blue, well done.

• Bwhit says:

Yes I loved that too. I also thought Sam walking by and tapping his ring on the glass to Andy was awesome because they both said in the pilot that they wouldn’t fall in love (so glad they failed at that!).

28. Suzy says:

Season 7 PLEASE

29. Mike says:

I definitely want a next season at the very least 1 more.

30. Katie says:

Did a great job wrapping up season 6. But I want a season 7! This show has come so far from the beginning and we want more!

31. lily yee wong says:

I love this show just like many others. These days, we need a show that others can relate to, and show morals of the ” right thing to do ” . I have been checking every day hoping for a Season 7 as there are so many more stories to tell….Please Renew!!!!!!!

32. Sandy says:

Will this be replayed again? STUPID football game ran over, missed first 20 min.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Check your TV’s local on-screen cable guide. Or, your DVR (if set) should be able to “find” it and record it as planned.

33. Jackie says:

YES for Season 7! There is so much more that can be developed with this cast. Even a take off on Marlo’s trip to Miami while she was off her meds could lead into a memory lose & time she spent with another man, ERGO the baby not really being Sam’s! Again, so many more story lines with all of this cast.

34. Gina Pilato says:

Roomie Blue is such a great mix of policing and everyday human living. It would be tragic to take it off tbe air. Look forward to it all week long.

35. Marie says:

I really do hope this isn’t the end for this show. It’s the best summer show out there. Reality tv is ridiculous and fake. I wish they would cancel reality TV instead of shows like rookie blue.

36. Cindy says:

This is a great show!!!consider another season…please

37. Can’t I like that finale and want more too? Such a great show with very compelling characters. Come on, give us another season!

38. Laura says:

This has been my favorite summer show that I always look forward to seeing each year! I’m not ready to say goodbye, so PLEASE renew it!

39. Did not see this one either, due to football pre season

40. Laura says:

Also, is there anyone we can write to? So we can beg them for a season 7?!

41. Diane says:

The finale was really awesome. Just like the other episodes, the show always is action packed and full of adventure. I have loved this show from the start and look forward to it every summer. The long wait for the next season always keeps me trying to imagine what is going to happen next. I have been a big fan of Sam and Andy’s from the start and the wedding just played out the way their whole relationship went. I am happy to see Dov get a break also. Now I am holding my breath hoping and praying for season 7.

42. Robin Z. says:

Please, to the powers that be, Keep this show on the air! It really is a wonderful, entertaining show. I look forward to watching this show every week! I love the characters and the story lines. Well done. The TV execs should listen to us and keep this show on the air!!!!

43. Sandra says:

Love the show. Hope to see more in the future.

44. Judi Christopher says:

Show is fabulous. Please do not cancel. Everyone I know loves it.

45. Joyce grzynkowicz says:

Love Rookie blue please bring them back

46. Karen says:

I love this show. Please let there be more seasons!

47. Kathryn Parker says:

I love Rookie Blue. Please don’t let this be the end. The cast fits so well together. Season 7 a must in my book!

48. Kathleen says:

We’ve watched this show from the beginning. We’re laughed, cried, been upset, and eagerly awaited the next Thursday night, not to mention the next season. This DID feel like a series finale but I’d dearly love to have a Season 7. I’m happy that you left some “wiggle room” but if this was the end, it was a lovely ending.

49. Bella Sorella says:

I definitely want another season. The characters are so well played and and the storylines are always creative. The show has such heart.

50. Lilly says:

I want 2 give it a fail cuz that means the season is over and not sure of season 7 is happening, but I couldn’t do it I love Rookie Blue toooooooo much. #TeamMcSwarek #Season7