Fall TV Preview

NBC Fall Schedule: Heroes Reborn on Thursday, Coach Revival Benched 'Til Midseason, NPH Bows In Fire Slot

NBC Fall Schedule

NBC is the first broadcast network to unveil its schedule for the 2015-16 TV season, and the biggest news regarding returning shows involves a delayed start for Chicago Fire (blame Neil Patrick Harris!) and a super-powered Thursday lead-in for The Blacklist (hello, Heroes Reborn!).

Also of note: Greg Berlanti’s new conspiracy thriller Blindspot has landed the coveted post-Voice slot on Mondays, NBC is going with comedies in Friday’s opening hour, pairing the all-live Undateable with the new Mark-Paul Gosselaar sitcom People Are Talking and Craig T. Nelson’s Coach revival is sidelined until midseason.

RELATED 2015 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Also on tap for midseason or later: The Night Shift, new dramas Chicago Med, Emerald City, Game of Silence and Shades of Blue, new comedies Crowded, Superstore and You, Me and the End of the World, and returning reality series America Ninja Warrior, America’s Got Talent, The Biggest Loser, Celebrity Apprentice, Food Fighters,Hollywood Game Night, Last Comic Standing and Running Wild with Bear Grylls.

All told, the NBC schedule looks like this; new shows are in CAPS, click for details.

MONDAY
8 pm The Voice
10 pm BLINDSPOT (WATCH TRAILER)

TUESDAY
8 pm The Voice
9 pm HEARTBREAKER (WATCH TRAILER)
10 pm BEST TIME EVER WITH NEIL PATRICK HARRIS (Chicago Fire takes over in November) (WATCH TRAILER)

WEDNESDAY
8 pm The Mysteries of Laura
9 pm Law & Order: SVU
10 pm Chicago P.D.

THURSDAY
8 pm HEROES REBORN (WATCH TRAILER)
9 pm The Blacklist
10 pm THE PLAYER (WATCH TRAILER)

FRIDAY
8 pm Undateable
8:30 pm PEOPLE ARE TALKING (WATCH TRAILER)
9 pm Grimm
10 pm Dateline

SATURDAY
Dateline Saturday Night Mystery

SUNDAY
7 pm Football Night in America
8:20 pm NBC Sunday Night Football

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: A to Z, About a Boy, Allegiance, Bad Judge, Constantine, Marry Me, One Big Happy, Parenthood, Parks and Recreation and State of Affairs

STILL ON BUBBLE: A.D., The Bible Continues, American Odyssey and Hannibal Season 4 (Season 3 bows June 4)

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Looks like NBC is really shaking things up in its Thursday night line-up. Can’t believe the network is benching Chicago Med and Game of Silence until mid-season. Really hope The Player is going to be a huge hit with a Blacklist lead-in on Thursday nights.

• dys says:

I can believe it concerning Chicago Med. It’s the same that thing that they did with P.D. If it does well it will likely end up with a full season the following bear.

• How about not starting CHICAGO FIRE on time? isn’t this supposed to be their best or second best show? Not starting Chicago Med on time is a disgrace too. It looked like it was going to be their best new show for the 2015-16 season. it looks more and more that NBC really stands for NOTHING BUT CLOWNS. They may think this buffoonery is funny, but it makes me want to cry.

• Mike says:

NBC just signed a death certificate and just killed two shows they need to survive!!! Thursday Night Football is on CBS at the same time!!! NBC owes much of its ratings to Sunday Night Football, knowing it kills everything else, so it takes it best show and best hope for new hit show and put them up against football on a more watched network. That is all kinds of stupid!

• herman1959 says:

It makes sense to push it to midseason to see what shows shake out (get cancelled) so that there is more room in the schedule. That way they’re not repeating something like Parenthood being scheduled opposite Scandal.

2. pamela says:

Not sure its a great idea to put Heroes on Thursday, depending on CBS’ schedule it will be up against Big Bang Theory or Thursday Night Football, competing for the same demo probably won’t go in NBC’s favor.

• They didn’t even list Thursday night Football. Is it possible that it will only be on the NFL network this season? Who is running this debacle of a network?

• Mike says:

They should have put Mystery’s of Laura and Undatable on a throw away comedy on Thursday’s from 8-10 and rebranded Thursday Night as: Cannon Fodder and Target Practice Night. They could run adds, saying something like; From the network who once owned Thursday Nights, is now owned by almost every other network Thursday Nights, enjoy Laura and comedy you 100 or so viewers.

• wingsstef says:

Well something has to be on Thursday. It might work. It might not. Though, I believe there are enough Heroes fans that are curious that it might do decent at least.

3. msstargate says:

There was a time not so long ago that almost every show I watched was on NBC. Now just one…Law & Order, SVU…SMH.

4. Justsomeguy says:

Putting Undateable on Friday is a major mistake. Should have left it on Tuesday. They’re gonna regret that in the fall..

• Mike says:

Well, if CBS renewed Amazing Race, it will probably air in the same time slot. ABC has what, Last Man Standing? FOX, who knows what they will do.

I think it will work in that time slot.

5. The amount of Reality shows that NBC has shows you that without those and Football, this network would be out of business. Starting Chicago FIRE late and Mysteries of Laura on time shows you how much they are in love with Debra Messing. isn’t Chicago Fire considered one of their 2 best shows, even ahead of SVU(which I consider their best show, but that’s my opinion)? Chicago Med not starting until maybe January or later is stupid. Is there any doubt that this network has no intention to try and be better than CBS and ABC AGAIN?

• Katie T says:

You can’t really compare the timing of Chicago Fire and Mysteries of Laura because they air at different times so it’s not like the start of one affects the other.
      Not really a stupid move to launch Chicago Med mid season either as it’s exactly what they did with PD. And launching later will mean they can include the Med side in episodes of PD and Fire before it launches, which is again what they did with Fire and PD

• You have some very good points. The comparison I was making had nothing to do with time slotting. It has to do with R.E.S.P.E.C.T. if you don’t think your FIRST or SECOND best show(in a lot of peoples’ opinions) is worth starting on time, maybe you shouldn’t be in charge of making decisions. CBS DIDN’T delay starting NCIS or NCIS: New Orleans; they put them out together from the start. That’s what NBC should have done with CHICAGO MED: They should have slotted it right next to CHICAGO FIRE from the very beginning of the season. The mid season idea isn’t bad, but it shows the difference between the 2 networks. CBS knows what it’s doing and has faith in its decision making. NBC is hoping for a miracle.

6. Michelle says:

what about The Night Shift? Did that get cancelled?

7. What the hell? Chicago Fire only starts in November?

• dys says:

As annoying as the wait will be, I ultimately see it as a good thing cause as the season goes on we usually end up with the new for a week or two then repeat the next few weeks kind of scenarios. Now we will get more new episodes in a row later in the season.

• And We’ll see if you’re right. I would hate to give credit to NBC for making a smart decision after all the stupid ones they’ve made in the last few years, but We’ll see.

8. Brenna says:

I’m not thrilled The Blacklist is still on Thursdays. I can never watch it live. Mondays at 9/10 was perfect (and judging by the ratings, it was better for a lot of other people too – yes I know the voice is a good lead in but I think that show needs to be later at night)

9. Bwhit says:

Why did the choose Chicago Fire to delay?!? Hopefully this means there will be more consecutive episodes instead of a new one than 3 weeks without a new one. I’m kind of disappointed about this.

10. Hipper says:

there’s literally nothing on primetime NBC i’d be watching next fall besides football.

11. MelindaB says:

The only returning show on that schedule that I watch is Grimm. I will probably check out NPH’s show. I’m unsure about the new Heroes, as I skipped the whole last season of the original.

12. JC1 says:

The only show on that schedule I’m for sure watching is Blacklist, since Grimm was removed from my viewing schedule immediately following Friday’s episode. I’ll watch Night Shift whenever it comes back, and Emerald City if it ever manages to make it to the air. I’m still waffling about watching the new Heroes.

13. Jenna says:

So, I guess I’m the only one who likes this schedule? lol
    I’m not a huge fan of the Chicago shows, so I’m good with giving other new shows a chance in the fertile early fall. Very much looking forward to Blindspot, Heartbraker, Heroes, and The Player. Also looking forward to Game of Silence and Emerald City.

• Viv says:

Me too! Mostly b/c they’re all hilariously derivative of Game of Thrones title! Lol! But Endgame sounds fun. (I’ll never call it the player — too close to Altman…)

14. erika says:

Isn’t too soon a fall schedule?And NBC is still a failure channel

• This is what you do when you have no idea what you’re doing and you’re in panic mode. NBC is probably in shock about how many people think that renewing the Mysteries of Laura is a disaster. This is a network that doesn’t like having its decisions questioned, even when almost every decision they make needs to be questioned. THE COMCAST CASH COW BE WRONG? To them, it is unthinkable that they’re wrong.

15. Et Al says:

Lately, I feel like I’ve been watching too much television. There are a lot of great shows airing these days. I’m grateful to NBC for not contributing to that problem whatsoever.

• Kudos to you for that funny ending. I haven’t been watching too much TV. I’m buying it on DVD to watch later, and then I have to get myself to sit down and watch. I’ve been doing tons of complaining lately, because NBC gives me tons of stuff to voice my opinion on. So do the other networks, but not like NBC.

16. Deeply disappointed that you aren’t continuing “Constantine” but will tune in for “Law & Order: SVU” the only show I’ll be watching on your network, I guess… I might watch “The Mysteries of Laura” but have other things I normally do at that time so I may have to wait to check it out on Netflix or something in the future.

17. Cassie says:

I have zero interest in NPH’s new show since I think he has been too overexposed in the past couple of years. The fact that his show will delay the premiere of Chicago Fire only makes it worse.

• Bwhit says:

That’s where I’m at. Why did they give him such a good time slot? Why would they delay the show that launched two spin offs? I’m hoping it gets poor viewership and NBC comes to their senses and starts Fire early… A girl can dream right?!?

• CJ says:

I imagine they will still start filming on time, and should NPH’s show fail spectacularly, Chicago Fire will be waiting in the wings to replace it. If his show DOESN’T fail, it will mean fewer reruns of Chicago Fire in the long run, so it’s a bold but smart choice, IMO.

• eddy says:

I agree, N. Patrick Harris or one of the new show would cancel (we all know some of them will) and they give C.F spot back as soon as possible.

18. Ralph says:

Only thing on this list for me is Grimm. I will TRY the first episode of “Heroes Reborn” but it better grab me fast or I’m outta there. Looking forward to Coach when it starts though.

19. angrypieguy says:

Will watch 4 shows from NBC next year – NPH, Blacklist, Heroes and Grimm. When Constantine was cancelled, I pictured NBC pairing Heroes and Grimm together on Fridays, but I was wrong. I don’t see how putting their only sitcoms on Friday night as a lead-in for Grimm is a good idea though. Make a comedy block of the two sit-coms with NPH’s show on Tuesday nights after Voice results show and you have a good night of programming.

Bump Mysteries of Laura (a surprising renewal already) to midseason, combine the latest Chicago Med/Fire/Postal Service show on Wednesday with Chicago P.D. and move Heartbreaker to Thursday’s for more solid drama blocks on both nights. Heroes and Grimm pair well together on Fridays before Dateline…

The only smart move is Blindspot. It’s clear the network likes it and that Monday timeslot is open with Castle slumping and whatever version of NCIS is put there in the fall.

• JC1 says:

I’m guessing they’re thinking next season will be the final one for Grimm, so it doesn’t really matter what it’s paired with.

20. Letti says:

Ugh. Anything I wanted to watch will be midseason.

21. Nona says:

wow almost no comedies

22. Joey Padron says:

glad they pair The Player with The Blacklist on Thursdays. surprised Neil’s new show took Chicago Fire’s timeslot until November. hope Undateable will do well on Fridays.

23. Daniel says:

You are missing Shades of Blue, which was a straight-to-series order. I also miss Apocalypse and Telenova, though both have apparently been renamed. Apocalpyse I believe is You, Me and the end of the World, but as far as I know it’s a drama-comedy.

24. opus says:

I keep looking at the still unbelievable retention of Mysteries of Laura and think how wonderful another season of Parenthood would be in that spot!!!!

25. HeatherC says:

Oy vey, I have to wait until November for Chicago Fire AND wait until midseason for Chicago Med, Night Shift, and Game of Silence??! NBC is definitely trying my patience levels, LOL =P Glad that CF won’t have as many breaks though since it starts later next season. That’s the only good thing I can see from that decision. Glad my Wednesday shows are still the same and I’m glad Grimm has been moved back to 9 PM on Fridays (8 PM is too early for that show) but that CF decision….dang it. =P

26. Thomas hunter says:

I feel like NBC is trying their best to kill THE BLACKLIST. Why does it continue to get crappy lead in programs??

CONSTANTINE gone? Not shocked but I’ll miss it.

Unless they follow through with the teased L&O revival, there is only one show I’ll be watching on NBC. 😢😢

27. Kathy says:

This makes it official. There is absolutely nothing will i watch on NBC. I have zero interest in any of those shows.

28. Kate says:

Do we know if Shelley Fabares (Christine) will be part of Coach yet?

29. Jooshua says:

I’m surprised they chose Heartbreaker for the fall over Game of Silence.

• deniz says:

Game of Silence is a Turkish drama adaptation named “Suskunlar”. You can watch videos on youtube. Its very heavy drama but really good and was very popular here in Turkey couple years ago.

30. SK says:

Don’t like that they moved Grimm back to 9p againnon Fridays.

31. fan4goodfiction says:

The only show I watch on NBC is Hannibal. Everything else on this network is dreck.

32. They’re not bringing back CHICAGO FIRE until NOVEMBER??? Not happy.

33. Stacy says:

The Blindspot link goes to the NPH show.

34. suzybel58 says:

Delayed start to Chicago Fire due to Neil Patrick Harris? I’m really not happy about that!

35. CactusRose says:

Thank you, NBC! You just freed up my time to watch other networks. Nothing in that schedule looks interesting to me.

36. Alicia says:

I’m crazy excited that Zach Levi will be back on my TV. The rest….meh.

37. Dave says:

What do you mean by. The All Live UNDATEBLES. do you mean every episode will be filmed live? . I expect THE PLAYER will be a hit. It’s the best trailer this season. And I think PEOPLE ARE TALKING look great too. Maybe NBC is starting to get non crappy comedies.

38. Murf says:

State of Affairs gone, really?!?

39. Dude says:

What happened to that Telenovela series they ordered with Eva Longoria? I thought that had a straight-to-series order?

40. Ms Morton says:

Chicago Fire goes with Chicago PD storyline an then spills over to cpd so why didn’t they delay something else..going to be confusing.. What’s wrong with Monday night there is nothing on???

41. Lu says:

Could we please just get a date? Maybe I don’t understand how to use this sight because I cannot see a date. All I want is a date!