Ratings: Secrets and Lies Finale Hits Highs, as Good Wife Dips to New Low

Secrets and Lies Killer Revealed Ratings

The season finale of ABC’s Secrets and Lies on Sunday night drew 6.4 million total viewers and a 1.7 rating, up 10 percent in audience to a series high while matching last week’s season’s best demo number.

Is the midseason drama eligible for renewal? As an EP shared in January at TCA, “The mystery of Ben Crawford and who killed Tom will be resolved at the end of this season. And… in subsequent seasons we’ll have a different mystery. The only ongoing mystery is Detective Cornell (played by Juliette Lewis), as we sort of unpeel the layers of who she is.” (Along those lines, Ryan Phillippe confirmed on Twitter that he definitely won’t be involved in any possible Season 2.)

TVLine readers gave the killer reveal an average grade of “B+.”

Opening ABC’s night, Once Upon a Time (5.2 mil/1.7) was flat. At 10 pm, the penultimate Revenge (4.4 mil/1.2) rose two tenths.

Elsewhere….

CBS | Madam Secretary (9.7 mil/1.0) dipped in audience while holding onto last week’s series low demo. The Good Wife (8.3 mil/0.9) dipped a tenth to a new demo low, while Battle Creek (6.2 mil/0.7) was steady.

NBC | A.D. (5.5 mil/1.1) and American Odyssey (3.2 mil/0.5) were flat in the demo.

FOX | Bob’s Burgers (2.2 mil/1.0) ticked up, The Simpsons (3.1 mil/1.3) and Brooklyn Nine-Nine (2.7 mil/1.2) slipped two and three tenths, and Family Guy (3.7 mil/1.6) and the Last Man on Earth finale (3.5 mil/1.4) were flat.

1. Mrs. Tran K says:

So it sounds like Secrets and Lies mystery will be whether or not Ben is alive or not, obviously a way to write Ryan off the show if he didn’t want to come back but keep it around Juliette’s character

• The Beach says:

I’d rather watch a show about Ryan Phillippe in prison than another about sad sack Juliette Lewis and her one dimensional character.

• wrstlgirl says:

I totally agree. Cornell was awful.

• Belle says:

Amen…Ryan was the only reason I started watching it – so glad I did though was a fun season :)

• Lisa says:

So, perhaps they can do the same for next season, but with someone different. We can’t just assume, no Ryan no good. Cornell really is a support role if you think about it. The story is not told from her point of view. Rather it’s told from the accused’s point of view. I’m certain they will use the same formula next season, which of course means, they will need a strong lead. I say give it a chance.

• Belle says:

There’s that word again “penultimate” so funny whenever I see it, reminds me of that one person that always complains you use it way too much :)

• Lisa says:

This was the way the show was originally written. Ryan Phillippe didn’t decide later that he wanted to be written off. Also, if you watched the Cornell Confidential online, you’d see Ben’s end result.

• Ryan pretty much confirmed it on Twitter that his character is dead.

2. Kyle says:

Oh TGW, this is not a good week to hit a new low. Still hoping for a final 7th season (even if it’s a shortened one).

3. Erika says:

Revenge series finale is NEXT WEEK.And I feel Revenge series finale will be a worst series finale I think.

4. wrstlgirl says:

I’m really enjoying A.D. but American Odyssey just keeps getting more and more ridiculous. Do you think NBC might yank these from their schedule?? Loved Secrets and Lies even though I predicted this would end up with Ben confessing to save one of his girls early on. It was a fun ride.

• HAP says:

What is ridiculous? Seems fairly clear that private contractors screwed up and killed a bunch of American soldiers, and since money runs everything, they are trying to cover it up. Odelle is the the fly in their ointment.

It’s just too bad that no one is watching the show. I blame it time slot. The demo for AD is totally different that for American Odyssey.

• wrstlgirl says:

Hahaha, oh it’s not fairly clear it’s completely clear. Although that bombing was no accident.

5. Mr. Tran K says:

I have a feeling that there’s going to be a 51% chance Secrets & Lies gets canceled but only time will tell. As for Battle Creek, still doesn’t bode well for its renewal chances and it looks like it should be a “goner” before the finale on May 24th.

6. theeinvisiblecircus says:

Reblogged this on Invisible Circus and commented:
    we’re getting into that Netflix short run style of story telling. Get to the point in one 13 episode arc, season two repeat. Doing a full 22 will probably phase out by 2016

• Lisa says:

Seems to be the only way shows have a chance to build a following in this cancel crazy TV world.

• theeinvisiblecircus says:

they just cancelled Revenge and the ratings spiked. To be fair, Revenge kinda stopped revenging as much as just trying to emulate the Scandal formula…which is another show that’s starting to run a little too long. I LIKE Scandal, I just can’t like Scandal enough to continue supporting the same romantic plot when the main plot is something completely different. I also watch too much tv

7. AW says:

Unbelievable! A.D. beats Madame Secretary and Good Wife in the demo, 18-49!

8. Steven says:

No Ben on Secrets and Lies next time, but can we please have Natalie Crawford anyway?

• wrstlgirl says:

I would love for s2 of Secrets and Lies to be a continuation of the bonus scene we got at the end of last night’s finale’ but I guess that’s not gonna happen :-(

9. Nick says:

I think Game of Thrones is pulling a lot of 9 o’clock viewers. Just sayin’.

10. kmw says:

Secrets and Lies is doing well enough to get renewed even without RP. ABC had a decent night, no surprises at FOX, and NBC is sad. Even sadder is CBS dropping so badly, especially Good Wife

11. Iakovos says:

I like the idea of a SECRETS AND LIES anthology in the town. Many stories to tell. This effort was strong. ABC has something to nurture here.

12. Tammy says:

no way will I watch a series based on Juliette Lewis’ character….. I’m done! She was the worst part about the show. I only wanted to know who did it.

• Caroline says:

Agreed. I watched for Ryan and felt his character kept the story going and Cornell just served to push him but I don’t like her character at all

13. ChicagoDan says:

Hard to believe CBS will end up cancelling a much higher rated series because they jumped the gun on MS. Considering CBS is a syndication factory, there is no way they can carry MS for three more seasons. Perhaps, CBS will reconsider because it doesn’t make financial sense (unlike TGW, which does have sweet deals in place).

14. joe says:

Ryan Philippe is going to Marvel on Netflix.

15. Jared says:

I honestly feel like Ryan and Juliette made Secrets and Lies into what it is. Losing both of them for S2 is a mistake. Looks like Resurrection 2.0

• Lisa says:

I don’t know, I think it’s possible to build a solid season 2. For one thing, most of the similar shows are always from the detective’s point of view. This show wasn’t and probably won’t be in season 2. In a sense, although Cornell is the one returning, she really has a supporting role. Like you said, BOTH Ryan and Juliette made it into what it is. Let’s hope for a strong lead next season. By the way, so far as I know, Juliette will be returning. The show depends partly on Juliette, but also partly on a strong lead since it is from that lead’s point of view.

16. Maitena says:

I think the series demands one or two more episodes to round the story. Who wants Abby free, a psycopath and her father in jail and the story ending just as that??? noooo please, give us a better ending!

17. Carmie says:

I really enjoyed watching Ryan on Secret and Lies and disappointed he will not be back….I also like the show mystery of it so looking forward for the next one…..it’s great to see Juliette again..

18. dj says:

AWESOME show. I hated to see it end.

19. Ruth says:

Pay what he wants, it just won’t be a show without Ryan!!!