'Revenge' Finale Week

Revenge EP Explains Victoria's Return, Talks Emily's Series Finale 'Reckoning'

Revenge Series Finale Spoilers

Heads up: Stop reading now if you haven’t watched Sunday’s episode of Revenge. It’s about to get real spoilery up in here.

Ding dong, the witch is… not dead, apparently.

The final moments of this week’s Revenge revealed that Victoria Grayson did not, in fact, perish in the fire at Grayson Manor — you know, despite what Madeleine Stowe told us — but showrunner Sunil Nayar urges fans to reserve judgment until Sunday’s series finale (ABC, 10/9c).

“We’re going to fill out the whole rest of [Victoria’s] story in the next episode with one more fantastic revelation,” Nayar tells TVLine. “You’ll have a much better sense of what it was Victoria did. Emily’s theory is correct, for the most part, but we saved one last detail for the final episode.”

Below, Nayar talks more about Victoria’s shocking return, explains Ben’s death and teases what’s in store for Emily/Amanda in the series finale.

TVLINE | To be honest, the fan reaction seems mixed. Some people feel cheated by Victoria’s return, while others are glad to see her back. What reaction were you hoping for?
Realistically, that’s exactly what I was expecting to get, but even the people who might feel cheated won’t feel that way when they see the last episode. You get those last moments from these two women that the audience deserves and wants. [Faking a death is] something that other shows have done before, but we love the way we went about doing it, and the repercussions of the action of having done it. It wasn’t just a cheap fake-out, and there was no other way to end the show than to have these two women in the last episode. Even people who are mad at us for doing it will watch the finale and say, “I’m actually really glad they did that.”

TVLINE | Let’s talk about that final moment, which we see in the promo…
It’s a huge moment, one that this show has been chugging towards for four years. When we finally have that moment, it’s going to be really moving. [Emily and Victoria] also realize there’s an end of the line; they’ve gotten to the point where Emily’s about to pull the trigger, which she’s never done before. It’s not something that’s easily done, even though this is her ultimate enemy. That scene between the two of them is so charged, and the way it ends is really stunning.

TVLINE | The way Victoria asks, “Are you ready?” reminds me of how Stowe told us Victoria had a death wish.
There’s an element of that, I think, but it’s more so that what’s happening between them is an inevitability, one which began the moment Emily showed up in the Hamptons. Victoria has lost everything, but it almost couldn’t have ended any other way but this.

TVLINE | OK, let’s talk about Ben: Thank you for killing him. What went into that decision?
Ben got his nose into a lot of things, but at the end of the day, he was a good guy who just wanted to do the right thing for people he cared about, and you’ll see its effect on Emily going into the last episode. She has to feel culpable for this; he only died because of a path she set him on in an attempt to clear her name. There’s a reckoning that comes with Ben’s passing. We also thought it would be great if he realized Emily was telling the truth, then Courtney Love [hit] him in the back of the head. Brian Hallisay was super gracious about it.

TVLINE | Ah, Courtney Love… How much White Gold will we get in the finale?
She has a couple really great moments in the finale. I can promise you’ll have plenty of White Gold in the finale.

TVLINE | Is she the one who stabs Nolan’s hand in the promo? I thought it might have been Louise, but that’s not very Louise-like behavior.
You don’t know, though! Louise is a very surprising woman who does very surprising things in the finale.

Revenge fans, we’ll have more series finale scoop as the episode approaches, but for now, drop a comment with your reaction to last night’s episode: Are you glad Victoria is back? Happy Ben’s down for the count? How do you hope it all ends?

1. CastleFan says:

I just hope he DOESN’T kill Nolan. or Jack. or Emily. Oh good grief. This finale is going to shred my emotions.

• AddieM says:

I’m also hoping for a happy ending for Nemily…and I’m hoping Victoria and Margaux die for real! An hour is hardly enough to tie up most of the loose ends and have a satisfying finale. Do we really need Courtney Love taking up anymore screen time seeing as Louise and Margaux are already doing that plus hope they don’t waste time on flashbacks either.

• Blondello says:

Really don’t need anymore Courtney Love taking anything away from the main characters we r interested in. Didn’t want Victoria really dead as it would definitely end the series(which I am sick about) Kill off Margaux……sick to death of her. Ben didn’t need to go, would like to have seen him clear Emily and remain the good guy. I need a happy ending to this, followed it too long to be disappointed.

• bringbackrevenge says:

so agree.

2. Ella Wade says:

You are giving Courtney Love lots of airtime in the finale?? Really? That’s worse than all the airtime you have given Margaux and Louise. I loved the first season of Revenge, but I wonder if that’s all you had. The Initiative, Margaux, Louise, Courtney Love., terrible. You really should have continued to write for the core characters instead of killing them all off! Sad.

• Brandy says:

I’ve enjoyed every season, but I agree, the show may not have struggled QUITE so much if they just would’ve stuck with the revenge plan, and stuck with the core characters.

• There is absolutely no one to whom they could give finale screen-time that would be worse than a single minute we’ve been forced to endure Margeaux and Louise. I would rather they bring back Declan’s ghost for the entire finale if he could erase my memory of those two twits. They’ve made this season almost unbearable.

3. ABC says:

Ben’s demise was 21 episodes over due (should have slipped in the locker room scene and split his head open) but we’ll take what we can get. BTW, I am sure Mr. Hallisay was “gracious about it.” The beautiful but dim no talent should be thankful for any role he gets!

• drhenning says:

Are you still mad at him for hooking up with the star of his last show (JLH) and getting her pregnant and then marrying here and having another paper forcing JLH’s character to be pregnant in another show???

• Dude says:

I always liked him on Privileged.

• ABC says:

Never saw “Privileged”. But I did see him on “The Client List” playing the boyfriend of Jennifer Love Hewitt’s character. Again, eye candy in spades, but his character had actually zero personality. To show how bad of an actor he really is, he ended up being Ms. Hewitt’s real life husband (AFTER becoming a baby daddy to her kid). He couldn’t even bring his real life passion for his co-star to his on screen character.

Hey, it’s not his fault. Pretty people who cannot act get cast on TV shows all the time (that pretty much defines much of the casting on both the CW and MTV); I don’t blame them for cashing the checks. But, we shouldn’t confuse beauty with talent — they are most certainly not the same thing.

• AddieM says:

Ben was a solid character and I’m glad Nayar pointed out that he was a good guy who always wanted to do the right thing.
      His only “crime” was to hook up with Emily (even though that r/ship brought a smile to Emily’s face that we’ve not seen since Aiden), apparently that’s why he deserved to die smh…I really hope someone pays for his death.

• His character was “solid” if we are talking about him as a human being. His heart seemed to be in the right place. That said, he was an idiot. One of many dumbass cops on TV, who still rise up the ranks on the force despite their idiocy.

• Susan says:

I thought the Ben charaacter was great for the story. He (Brian Hallisay) played that part to a T.He didn’t overact and he had more chemistry with Ems that Jack does EVER.

• Sue says:

I completely agree with you. I liked Ben and was sorry to see him go.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, I thought he was a decent character. Granted, not essential, but I’d much rather see him on my screen than a true waste of space like Charlotte. And I don’t get this columnist’s vitriol toward the character–“Thank you for killing him.” REALLY? If you think this is the worst character this show’s seen then, no offense, but you haven’t been paying attention(the aforementioned Charlotte, Declan, Cara Clarke….)

• emily says:

um no. jack and emily have AMAZING chemistry. ben and emily was like watching paint dry.

• La La Lu says:

Jack and Emily might have had chemistry once upon a time, but not anymore. There scene in Sunday’s show seemed more ackward than romantic. I’ve been going back and watching the first season. It makes me mad they turned Daniel into such a douche bag. He had the best chemistry with her, but they f’d that up.

• Walter says:

Aiden > Daniel > Ben > Jack

Jack became too boring after the 1st season

I wish Aiden would miraculously come to life and be with Amanda

4. Azerty says:

I am really not surprised to see Victoria alive. It would have been more of a shock if she was really dead…I am wondering what detail Emily missed.

• Mai says:

Im thinking someway Victoria has a hand on David’s “cancer”… is it really cancer? Or maybe she did something to make him sick?

• babysteps4health says:

I was guessing the same thing after reading this! What else could she not of known!?!

• Walter says:

Interesting theory and that would be a second plan Victoria would steal from Emily (she made Conrad appear sick too)

5. Yolanda says:

Why do I have a weird feeling they’re gonna end it on cliffhanger? They won’t admit it but it’s gonna feel like season finale, not series one. It’s always the same with broadcast networks. You give them four years of your life and you won’t get even a proper conslusion. The ratings were crappy the whole year, did the writers of the show actually thought they were gonna get another season? Give me a break! At best we can expect “Brothers and Sisters” finale which if any of you remember ended on a small cliffhanger. Do not expect a proper closure like ER, Friends or Desperate Housewives.

• Dys says:

It has already been said that it will end with a “small” or maybe the word was “minor” cliffhanger but that there will be plenty of closure. Something along those lines.

• Yolanda says:

Now they’re saying it’s a “minor” cliffhanger because it’s just a week till the finale but when it actually airs it’s gonna be a huge one, I think of “Missing” (the Ashley Judd canceled show) proportions.

• Dude says:

It could just mean, “open ending” Buffy the Vampire Slayer also ended on a minor cliffhanger and it was still hugely satisfying. Let’s hope it’s not a “minor cliffhanger” ala The Sopranos.

6. Susannah says:

It would be great if in the opening scenes of the finale, Margaux, Louise, White Gold and all the other superfluous characters would just die, then the rest of the episode could concentrate on the characters that have been part of the show from the first episodes.

7. Jay says:

I never believed Victoria was dead. So, I wasn’t surprised. At this point, I just want this over and done with lol

8. Jim says:

I hope that in the end, Victoria goes to jail, Margaux is done in by Emily, Louise looses it when she finds out Victoria and Margaux duped her, David Clarke dies, and Jack and Emily walk off together into the sunset with Nolan

9. Sebas says:

The fact that a show has to resort to its actors lying in interviews to “shock” its viewers is just sad.

• Sabrina says:

She technically didn’t lie. Madeline said Victoria was dead — and legally, in the Hamptons, she is. Madeline assumed her “Mary Gaines’” identity — who I’m assuming is her mother, Marion’s, alias.

Madeline also said if Revenge had a season five, she wouldn’t be returning — so she may not be lying about Victoria being dead. Finales and episodes in general are shot way before we get them, so Madeline could be being genuine. Either way, if you’re disappointed with how “sad” Revenge has become — go find another bone to chew on because Revenge is ending and the fans of the show are delighted to see Madeline make one last diabolical move.

• Dysturbed says:

The fact that a lot of people would also be mad if the actors told the truth, therefore immediately ruining the surprise is also sad cause it shows that no matter what happens, people will complain.

10. Tamara says:

It could kind of go either way.The series did begin with the Confucious quote, making it seem natural that both Amanda and Victoria would die, however in the Count of Monte Cristo, the protagonist gives his fortune away and retreats to live life with the woman he loves. I just can’t see David making it out alive. The only other theory I have is that Charlotte kills her sister and the series ends with her holding her own sharpie.

11. Ed says:

Victoria better get her due as did her husband. I can’t believe the way he threatened Charlotte before he got what was coming to him. I would love to play the part of the character that finally gets to shoot her.

12. wrstlgirl says:

So are Victoria and Amanda gonna end up killing each other…..Two Graves. Jeez I really hope it’s not the way they are ending this.

13. Joe Perugia says:

i didnt think Victoria Died even with the interview, Jake “died” a few days earlier on Scandal, and he had the same type of interview and he ended up alive ( hopefully these iterviews are not thenew norm)

14. N says:

I will really miss this show!

15. Who is going o help Emily now with Ben out the way.

16. Connie says:

I just hope that this last episode is going to be longer than one hour and I hope Amanda/Emily gets her happy ending!!

17. ChicagoDan says:

Yeah, Revenge pretty much lives in a universe where no one really dies, so that was no surprise to read that she’s still alive. Of course, they couldn’t resurrect the three best characters/actors (the real Emily, Tyler and Frank).

18. Matt C. says:

I’ve always felt that the final episode should revolve around one last showdown between Emily and Victoria, so I’m happy and relieved that she’s alive. The sequence detailing how she plotted her “murder” was fantastic. I just hope the finale is able to wrap everything up suitably in an hour. Please don’t waste time on characters like White Gold and Margaux and Louise when we literally have one hour left to spend with the few characters that have been there since day one (Emily, Victoria, Jack and Nolan).

19. JEF says:

I have no problem with Victoria being alive but pretty dirty to have an actress lie about it outright.

20. aph1976 says:

I had a feeling that Victoria would turn up alive before Revenge ended for good.Plus it’s only right that Emily and Victoria should have final confrontation to give the fans closure.Also maybe it has to come down to Emily or Victoria been pushed to the edge and be willing to kill the other,So maybe Victoria wants to see if Emily is willing to kill her to get the final revenge because if Victoria dies then Emily’s journey to get revenge ends.

21. lana says:

if they kill jack emily or nolan I will get my red sharpie and seek revenge on the writer

• Anonymous says:

Absolutely…It might also be nice to see Kara and/or Charlotte Clarke go to bat for Amanda…If Jack suffers a ‘grim’ fate at the hands of Victoria, Margaux, or ‘White Gold’, I’m gonna flip my lid…As I will, should Charlotte decide to collude with her ever scheming, ‘damaged goods’ mother in the latter’s reprehensible crusade to destroy innocents’ (i.e. Amanda, David, Jack, Kara, the Mathis family — Aiden, Colleen, and their father, Trevor, Daniel’s) lives.

• Lin says:

good one. I 2nd this.

22. Ricky Lee Jones says:

I’m sort of relieve this show is ending. It’s stopped being fun two seasons ago.

• Ally says:

I never understand the comments about how dumb the show has gotten or I should have stopped watching it years ago?? Maybe you should have stopped watching years ago and stopped making stupid comments!These articles on the show are for the people who actually care about it I for one am going to miss it terribly. I just don’t get it if you hate it why does it matter to you what happens on it makes no sense.

• susan says:

I know.WORD.Why do people search out a show that the “say”they hate.as far as Margaux away,Louise,Ben.they played their parts beautifully. Great acting on this show.however no chemistry with Ems and Jack

• emily says:

no. theirs amazing chemistry between jack and emily. that’s your own personal opinion. don’t state things like their facts.

23. Alichat says:

It seems pretty clear to me that it’s Courtney Love’s character stabbing Nolan in the hand. It’s the hand….it looks older (plus there’s a tatt on the wrist)….and the nails. I can’t see Louise with GOLD talons. Plus, she’s a little cray-cray, but I don’t think stab-Nolan-in-the-hand cray-cray. The only other option is Margaux, and I can’t see her with that manicure.

24. gia says:

I think in the end it will appear that Emily is going to kill Victoria, but Louise will realize she’d been played, and it will be she that will pull the trigger, killing Victoria.

25. terry says:

Hate victoria Ben was Ok didn’t have to kill him for God’s sake don’t let victoria win

26. Jeannette says:

Glad they have Victoria back for the end finale. But want the finale to end with Amanda/Emily and Jack together! That will make it worth watching for 4 seasons! It just has to end this way. Nolan should be there with Jack and Emily/Amanda too!

27. Carly says:

I think Victoria will go to shoot Amanda and David takes the bullet saving Amanda Victoria goes to jail along with Margo. In the end Jack Amanda and Carl are on the beach with a new puppy. If Amanda does not get her happy ending I will be so
    Rry I watched it

28. Sue says:

Am I the only one who saw the Everwood reunion in this ep? Amanda’s lawyer was the actor Tom Amandes, who played Harold Abbott on Everwood and his daughter, Amy, was played by Emily Van Camp. Together again. LOL

29. Taylor says:

I hope that Emily/ Amanda ends up with Jack. I didn’t like Ben murder at that moment. I wanted him to clear Amanda’s name so she can be next to her father in his last hours.

30. Barb says:

I want Amanda and Jack to finally be together!! No, I did not want Ben to die, and I want Margaux to get killed. After watching for 4 years, I would finally like to have a good ending after so much sadness.

31. Paige Turner says:

The actor playing Ben was a terrible actor, so no loss with the character’s demise. Would love to see Madeline Stowe’s forehead WITHOUT all that damn botox. And the only real love for Emily/Amanda was Aidan. Don’t see the attraction to Jack.

• emily says:

jack and emily have been endgame since the pilot. that is her real love. if she was meant to be with aiden, they wouldn’t have let barry go.

32. I can’t believe the show is ending there are so many more stories that could bre told.

• susan says:

They could’ve kept this going.the 10 o’clock time slot hurt the show.I am sure they’ll put some idiotic waste in there to fill time.there is no vision at these networks.just mindless crap.I waited for Revenge every week .It is sooooo good.

33. #Teamjemily says:

I just secretly hope Daniel comes back to life miraculously 😭😊😊

34. Ray says:

No Sunil. You’re wrong about what the fans want and have done a good job of running this show into the ground ever since you came on the scene and introduced Margaux LeMarchal. Thanks for ruining the best show of 2011.

35. Curly Girly says:

Well, you kind of already gave it away in the title. And DAMN Madeline Stowe for lying and telling everyone her character was really dead! DAMNIT they fooled me!!!

36. Kate says:

Wasn’t a fan of Ben’s until this episode where he actually tried to do his job and follow up on Em’s suspicions. I think the ending with Victoria and Emily is the right way to go but not looking forward to more Courtney Love.

37. Hobno says:

I am hoping for a happy ending for Emily – as good as possible after all she is losing her father for a second time. As for Victoria and Margaux – I don’t think either of those characters should meet their demise. Maybe a spin-off of Revenge down the line. Sure am going to miss this show. Sunday night sadness.

38. Lin says:

I don’t mind that Victoria didn’t die before. I want to see her go out by Emily (Amanda’s hand) not where Victoria decides her own fate. I also DO NOT want Emily or Jack to die. Emily has been through so much. Robbed of her childhood and father for years, thrown in jail, suffered by Victoria’s acts towards her. She has just been trying to get back what she lost and repay the people who hurt her and her father. She should live and move on happily with Jack. That would make me and most viewers happy and satisfied. Margo and Louise and Courtney Love should all go out with a bang. They are the devious ones. All loyal to a rich witch whose own daughter Charlotte has disowned……

39. Jessica says:

This last episode made me so sad, especially Ben passing and her dad being very ill.
    The promo leaves me on the edge of my seat though, what will happen next? Only a few days until the show I’ve loved for four years comes to an end. I’m sad to see it go, but it’s given me great memories throughout that time frame. #infinitytimesinfinity

40. bringbackrevenge says:

I’m upset the show is cancelled. Upset about Ben, as he was finally coming around to help Emily/Amanda. Not happy Victoria is back and absolutely hate Margaux. I do not want anyone else hurt. ugh!

41. Laurie Lewis says:

I hated to see them kill Ben! He really was a good guy!

• kiwirevengefan says:

I agree that Ben was one of the good guys. I hope Margeaux dies because she was the one who ordered Ben’s murder. She is turning into a real cold blooded killer.

42. kiwirevengefan says:

What if……………………….Victoria turns out to be Emily’s real mother? That Victoria and David’s affair started much earlier? That to cover up for Conrad they pretended that Cara was the mother? Maybe paid Cara off? She was mad enough to agree to something like that.

I don’t know, that sounds far fetched but then plenty of things in the series were far fetched! Oh boy, I am really going to miss this show.

43. Sandra Marchant says:

I am really upset that Revenge is ending!!! It is the best series that has been on T.V. in alot of years. What will I do Sunday evenings? Why are you ending it?

44. Yolanda Burns says:

I really enjoyed the trickery of how Victoria death wasn’t real but I do feel like she should be long gone. I’m sad about Ben but I figured he’d die all because he didn’t believe Amanda. I hope I the end Amanda is released and able to be with her father before he dies and I hope Charlotte helps with it all for the sake of being apart of her dying fathers wishes. Victoria needs to finally get what she deserves time to rot away in jail just like she did David. I love this show and I’m sad to see it end. Great work!

45. Ella says:

I’m sortof glad Victoria is alive, just so Emily can have the pleasure of killing her. That witch needs to suffer. Also, please don’t kill off Emily, Jack or Nolan.

46. NMC says:

It would be quite interesting if either Ashley Davenport (Emily’s friend from season one) or Patrick (Victoria’s illegitimate son) are the missing keys to all of this “new” drama for the finale.

47. NMC says:

Wonder if a character from a previous season would play a major part in this finale? Like Ashley, Patrick, Javier…??? With the right script, it could make this interesting to see that they were also seeking revenge (i.e. Ashley going after Emily after her fling with Daniel, Lydia Davis coming for both Emily and Victoria, Javier for Nolan, Patrick trying to help his mother, etc.).

48. joebatch says:

I feel so vindicated. I knew that even tho with Madelene Stowe’s interview saying that she was done and that it was all a last tease. I knew just knew that she (Victoria) was not done with Amanda/Emily yet.

49. joebatch says:

I feel vindicated. I just knew that the interview that Madelene Stowe gave last week saying that she (Victoria) was done was all one big teaser. There was no way Victoria was done with Amanda/Emily yet nor would she not want to be alive to see her handiwork of framing A/E for her ‘murder’ and not be able to gloat at seeing Amanda in prison for something she did not do.

50. irina says:

How can I even talk about the Series Finale?? I want Revenge to go on, with or without Victoria. She would be a major loss, but we could struggle through if we still had Emily/Amanda, Nolan and Jack, or even just Emily and Nolan! We survived the loss of Conrad, Adrian, Daniel, others we felt we couldn’t do without. Why is ABC doing this?