Post Mortems

Last Man on Earth Finale Post Mortem: Will Forte Talks Outta This World Twist

Last Man on Earth Finale

The following story contains spoilers from Sunday’s Last Man on Earth finale. Proceed at your own risk.

Fox’s Last Man on Earth ended its first season by solving one of the rookie comedy’s biggest mysteries: The photographic cameo that Jason Sudekis made in the premiere wasn’t a silly throwaway — it was shrewd foreshadowing. In the final seconds of Sunday’s finale, Sudekis was not only confirmed to be the brother of Will Forte’s Phil/Tandy Miller, he was revealed to be stranded in outer freakin’ space.

Below, Forte talks to TVLine about recruiting his SNL buddy for the top-secret role, previews Sudekis’ Season 2 involvement, and weighs in on the sitcom’s other big cliffhanger: Are Phil/Tandy and Carol headed for genuine coupledom?

TVLINE | When you embedded that family photo in the pilot, did you know the season would end with Jason in outer space?
No. We had no idea. It wasn’t until the fifth episode that we wrote that up and we all loved it. And the thought at first was, “Oh, brother’s up there in space, and every episode or two, you’d check in on him.” And then the story started going in different directions and it made more sense to do this. We just all agreed this would be a cool way to end the first season, hoping — fingers-crossed — that we got a second season.

TVLINE | You’ve got a second season, so where do you go from here?
We have plans, but there’s so many things that we need to figure out, so many different ways that we can go, which excites us. But it’s also scary because sometimes you have too much open road [Laughs]. I’m looking forward to getting a little rest for about a month and then we’ll get back in there and be recharged and start figuring out what to do.

TVLINE | How much of Jason will we see in Season 2?
I don’t know. He’s a busy many. We have talked about stuff before and we’ll probably have another conversation, but I would not expect him to be in every episode of Last Man on Earth. [Laughs] He’s a good friend, he’s good friends with a lot of people who work at the show, so I think he had fun coming in. We also don’t want to take advantage of that friendship. We have an idea and we’ve talked a little bit about it.

TVLINE | Was it hard keeping his role in the finale a secret?
The trickier thing, actually, was keeping Kristen Schaal’s arrival [as Carol at the end of the premiere] a secret. That was always a a [worry], “Would people watch the show if they thought it was just me around?” That was very nerve-wrecking in the beginning just wanting to do the right thing, finding that right balance of teasing people and also [accurately promoting the show]. But then there were a lot of people that were like, “If you blow that reveal, it might ultimately help you with viewers, getting more people in.” Ultimately, we kept it a secret.

TVLINE | Is Jason’s character aware of what’s going on on Earth?
My take is that he knows what’s going on as far as the virus, but he’s still holding out hope that somebody’s down there.

TVLINE | The season ended on a hopeful note for Carol and Phil/Tandy…
There are many different ways to go with that. The thing that I know is going to happen, which I’m excited about, is [they will both remain] very different people. Just because they’re together again and [Phil/Tandy] has a new attitude doesn’t mean they’re not going to disagree all the time and she’s not going to say crazy things and he’s not going to be a dip-sh–t. (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. webly3 says:

I thought the last few iffy episodes redeemed itself with the beautiful ending of Phil and Carol riding off into the sunset. No matter how different they are – their relationship is undeniable (and also the best part of the show).

• shazay says:

I can’t see Jason coming on the show if January is around in the future, since they supposedly despise one another, and he supposedly a potential baby daddy for her. Also, isn’t January dating Forte now? If so, maybe things are cool between Jason and January.

• Amy says:

It’s called acting for a reason, after all. If Kristen Schaal can play the reluctantly smitten Carol for Will Forte’ hopelessly enchanted by her Phil, them I reckon Jones and Sudekis can play perfect strangers despite being exs.

2. Mr. Tran K says:

From the start I have mixed feelings about Last Man on Earth not because the series or Will Forte’s performance but I proved myself wrong and the season finale was no exception. What will unfold in Season 2? BTW, I give it an A.

3. Tom Atlan says:

Clever show. Phil is an honest character, I don’t know if he deserves Carol but leaving him alone might have set the next season up for a groundhog’s day scenario, where he keeps trying to be better each season but keeps making mistakes. (which would suck). I didn’t see the last episode until later so I was expecting something different after reading either IMDB’s or rottentomatoes summation: Carol discovers she’s pregnant, the gang moves to Montana.

4. D. says:

I gave it a C mainly because new Phil is still alive, if any character deserves death on any show he is my number one choice for the grave. HATE him.

5. Still not the biggest fan of the show but it was an okay finale. Twist ending worked well.

6. Stacy says:

LOVED the pilot. The show definitely lost its footing a few episodes in, but seems to be regaining ground. I’m excited about next season! Kristen Schaal is amazing, and her and Forte’s chemistry is fantastic.

I’ll admit it: before the episode aired I thought they were going to reveal Carol as pregnant and not knowing who the father was. It’s nice to be surprised by a TV show.

7. srandy6977 says:

“He’s a busy many.” ?!

8. ? says:

The space station thing is right out of the comic book series Y: The Last Man. But who cares if it makes a good story.

9. Kristen says:

Is this the “out of this world cliffhanger” from the scorecard?

• Kristen says:

Also, when the other Phil asked why they decided to live in Tucson, I wanted to say because people complain about the grass looking mowed when they watch the Walking Dead.

10. Carol says:

It was too hidden. I thought Phil was just hallucenating about being on earth but was actually in space. Didnt know he had a brother until Carol rescued him.

11. kris williams says:

i want to know if Phil and carol find each other or their separated forever cause if pharol(Phil+carol) doesn’t come back i will jump through the TV and knock some people out if not get a good five minutes with someone!!!!!!! so spoil it for me please if not at least in riddle form to make me do work for the answer cause the internet is not helpful AT ALL!!!!!