After well-received outings in 2013 and 2014, the pressure for the comedic actresses to pull off a third successful evening was high. After all, their delivery of that George Clooney/Gravity joke from last year’s ceremony was near perfection; would they be able to top it?
From the raucous reaction inside the Beverly Hilton Hotel’s International Ballroom, that answer seems to be a resounding “hell yeah!” But we all know how liquored up those Globes attendees get, so in a moment we’ll ask for your likely-more-sober opinion of the ladies’ third monologue.
But first — and this is the fun part — here’s a selection of Fey and Poehler’s best gems:
* “J.K. Simmons is here, or as Matthew McConaughey calls him, ‘Just Keep Simmons.’” — Fey
* Poehler commented on Patricia Arquette’s success in the years-in-production movie Boyhood, “proving that there are still good roles for women over 40… as long as you get hired when you’re under 40.”
* Fey remarked that Steve Carrell’s Foxcatcher make-up took two hours. “Just for comparison, it took me three hours today to prepare for my role as human woman.”
*”Chris Pine!” — Fey, not waiting for the second option while playing “Who’d you rather?” with Poehler
* “George Clooney married Amal Alamuddin this year. Amal is a human rights lawyer who worked on the Enron case, was an advisor to Kofi Annan regarding Syria and was selected for a three-person UN commission investigating rules of war violations in the Gaza strip. So tonight, her husband is getting a lifetime achievement award.” — Fey
* “In Into the Woods, Cinderella runs from her prince, Rapunzel is thrown from a tower for her prince and Sleeping Beauty… just thought she was getting coffee with Bill Cosby.” — Poehler
Rate Fey and Poehler’s Globes monologue via the poll below, scroll down to watch the monologue (and other highlights) again, then hit the comments to elaborate!