Fall TV Preview

NCIS Fall Preview: Season 14 Adds New Agents... and a Roommate for Gibbs?

A summer will have passed when CBS’ NCIS opens Season 14 (Tuesday, Sept. 20 at 8/7c), and yet no one has been deemed worthy to claim Very Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo’s desk.

“Gibbs has gone through a number of probies and said, ‘No one is good enough,’” shares Brian Dietzen, who plays Jimmy Palmer. Cue the arrival of exasperated Special Agent Alex Quinn (Blue Bloods’ Jennifer Esposito), the FLETC instructor “who basically shows up and says to Gibbs, ‘What the hell is wrong with you?!’” showrunner Gary Glasberg previews.

As Boss mullsNCIS (or, more likely, deflects!) that question, a case breaks that introduces Nick Torres, a long-undercover Special Agent (That ’70s Show‘s Wilmer Valderrama), “and by the end of the show, Gibbs has two people” to add to his team, says the EP.

The new faces — including Duane Henry’s MI6 officer Clayton Reeves, who resurfaces in Episode 5 — had best get settled in by winter, because Gibbs’ revamped team will be put to the test. “About halfway through the season, a significant story will kick in,” says Glasberg, “and carry us all the way to the finale.”

In the meantime, however, the EP aims to serve up a familiar, if freshened, version of TV’s most watched drama. “I was intent on focusing on proving to people that it’s the same show that they’ve always watched, just with some new faces.”

Amidst the aforementioned workplace makeover, Gibbs is dealing with a different home life as well, in the form of a new roommate.

“Fornell is living with Gibbs as he’s recuperating” from his season-ending shooting, says Glasberg. “Be prepared, because it’s some wonderful, light, funny stuff!”

Want more scoop on NCIS, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Ralph Spooner says:

Having watched the show from the beginning and not missed an episode, I cannot wait for the funnies/zingers that happen with the Gibbs character and Fornell characters in the same house together. Let’s just hope “Fornell” stays out of the liqueur in the basement. Of course when your in lots of pain from probably falling down the stairs a couple of times, it might come in handy. Our whole family is waiting to see how the dynamics of the new characters develop.

2. Dave W says:

The name Wilmer Valderrama just makes me really nervous…

3. James says:

I am looking forward to the show without Tony. I want to see if it is just as good, especially with McGee as the new Very Special Agent. He will be Gibbs second in command.

4. US says:

I thought GIBBS was going to be having a romantic room mate this season instead of Fornell, he is good but it’s long overdue for Gibbs to find himself a new LOVE !

5. Michele says:

Fornell and Gibbs…in the same house. LOVE it and it will be a great season.

6. Kelly Brown says:

Are you KIDDING me. There are THOUSANDS of talented gifted Latino Actors…. and then there is .. WIlmer Valderrama. Nothing says “jump the shark” like adding Fez.

7. Larry Hester says:

I CAN NOT WAIT FOR THE SEASON PREMIERE. THIS IS THE #1 SHOW ON TELEVISION, AND OF COURSE IT IS NOT UP FOR ONE DAMN EMMY. OR, AS I CALL IT, THE CABLE AWARDS!!!!!!!

8. Mary H Baker says:

Can’t wait for the new season. It should be very funny with having Gibbs & Fornell being ‘under the same roof’, They have good banterings so the ‘undertones’ should be great. Will miss Tony greatly but McGee does deserve the new position in the ‘bull-pin’. (Can’t wait for Michael’s new either.)

9. sheila says:

I love this show. We can’t wait for the new season to begin, I’m so excited but I also will miss Tony and Ziva. They were so good together.

10. I am looking forward to the new season. I hope the new cahracters will give the old place some new zing. I don’t know why people are so against Wilmer Valderrama…he’s not playing Fez in this. And seriously can any of them be worse than Bishop? Tony was never my favorite…not his fault, the writers never let him grow up, despite everything he went through, he was still a big old frat boy. He finally became a man in the season finale. So, bring on season 14!

• Tracy Pflum says:

I couldn’t agree more! I always thought from the beginning they would mature Tony and I thought he was going to take after Gibbs, maybe marry him off at the end of season 1 and have him divorced by the end of season 2, etc. Instead they made him the Joker not to be taken seriously. It is a problem I see in these serial crime dramas, when the characters seem to have no personal life even through 8, 9, 10 and more seasons. I thought it was such a shame because his acting ability was there to grow the character up, but instead they let the character go stale… So while I’ll miss him in NCIS, I can’t wait to see him in Bull! Hopefully we will see him shine :-)

• lsperling says:

I’m looking forward to the new season, too. I like the idea of the new lady agent and the MI6 agent. Not sure about Wilmer Valderrama – I’ve not seen him in anything that I can recall. Gibbs and Fornell under the same roof should be a hoot. You’re right, Bishop is by far, the worst character this show has had and I really hope they get rid of her after this season. She adds absolutely nothing and her acting is terrible.

11. Glenn Thoren says:

Can not wait is Abby still with the show love her role made for that part!!!! Who ever is on the show they all fit right in Great Job to all of you!!!!

12. Mary T says:

I love Fornell. I hope they continue having Joe Spano on regularly. I will be very disappointed, however, if they don’t reveal that Ziva wasn’t really killed and that she and Tony are together in Paris or wherever. IMO the ending last season was a HUGE mistake. I feel the producers and writers showed contempt for all of us who loved Tony and Ziva.

13. Suzanne Karr says:

I really hope Jon Cryer is back. I really liked that character.

14. james roberts says:

N.C.I.S. is Getting pretty “Dark” Will not watch new season only reruns. Whites have to kiss the mexicans and the blacks A$$ now days B.S.

• Bernice Mokakos says:

I am disappointed in the new characters that are being added. The new girl is the old girl that ran out on Blue Bloods for whatever personal reason. No guarantee she’ll stick with this new series for her. Also, don’t like the idea of adding a Brit to the mix. This was such a family that it is hard to believe that either of them will fit in. I am not looking forward to not seeing Tony.

• reddkl says:

WOW – Pretty bad comment lacking simple humanity. Gibbs wouldn’t tolerate it.

15. Linda Chellew says:

BRING ZIVA BACK

16. Katherine Raia says:

Not only will we miss Dinozzo but Robert Wagner as his father.

17. Denny Leeds says:

My wife and I love the show. Love Gibbs and all the other characters current and past. What we love about them is that they’re real. Our biggest concern for the new year is whether the new cast will seem real. We don’t watch NCIS LA because the characters seem to be playing a role, can’t identify with any of them. Hope the new NCIS won’t be like that.

• Bart says:

The new cast members do not seem real at all. The acting is so bad it makes Bishop look good…and she is horrible. I understand Côte and Mike leaving for whatever reason but you’d think they could find someone who can act. These two new additions are a big mistake and I will not be watching. I am so disappointed?

18. Tom Flowers says:

From season one thru I have been a faithful die-in-the-wool devotee to NCIS. My only comment, and it is with reservations, please never let this show be canceled. I bet there are millions of serving, as well as ex’s that live and die with this show. I especially like it when Gibbs responds to anyone that says, “I bet/thought you were an officer.” All grunts, dog faces,swabs, and airmen love the answer “Oh hell no!!” Non-coms and low mud rollers are the backbone of our military. I’ll never forget my first day standing in front of my jump master at Ft. Bragg, he looked me up and down and stated”Your a damn Texan ain’t ya?” “Yes Sgt., I answered. His next statement told me where I stood “There are three things I hate. 2nd Lieutenants, wet toilet paper, and you damn tall ass Texans.” Would have bits 10 penny nails in half for that Black hat!!

19. Tim Richardson says:

Love the show not sure it can survive without Tony but will surely watch!

20. I would like to see the show deal a little with the loss of Ziva and Tony more realistically. They come off as cold and uncaring by moving forward so fast. In real life they would have pictures of Tony and his daughter, even getting phone calls for help with being a new parent. They have a human side please show it.

21. Denise says:

Been watching NCIS from the beginning,I will start to watch, but it will be hard without Tony. I had to get over the lost of Ziva’st. Now, Tony I don’t know. I LOVE NCIS, giving you a try. Get it right Gibbs! I think Fornell as roommate will be a nice little touch and much laughter.

22. Liz says:

Gibbs and Fornell under one roof would have been better if Diane was still alive. Too bad they had to kill her off. It would have been a hoot!!

23. Tammy says:

This going to be intetesting. Fornell LIVING WITH GIBBS

24. Laura says:

Makes me extremely nervous. First they add Ellie Bishop, a (to me) very uninteresting character. I was praying she would leave with the whole marital thing. As that character is a miss, don’t know how these characters will pan out, but don’t hold out much hope. Just keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn’t slide so far they might as well get rid of everyone except Gibbs, McGee, Abby, Ducky and Palmer (oh and Vance). Will miss Ziva and Tony, but it wouldn’t be such an issue if they didn’t replace them with sub-par, unlikable characters. Here’s to hoping they won’t come up with more ‘Ellie Bishop’s.

25. Terri Bracchi says:

Get rid of Bishop, she is terrible

26. Tammie Young says:

is Cheech Marin on ncis tonight

27. Clare Bradley says:

Jennifer has burned out her role in law enforcement in fact we are still tired of her copy cat wardrobe! She will hopefully get killed off, people want someone new and truly original! Jennifer is a hum drum been there done that typecast role.

28. C-Ski says:

can anyone explain how they are going to have an episode where Gibbs goes to his hometown and talks with his father – who supposedly reveals where Gibbs name came from? Gibbs father died! They had a funeral! How can he suddenly reappear this season???

• lsperling says:

C-Ski – I don’t recall them mentioning they were going to Gibbs’ hometown. Who said it? Thanks.

• lsperling says:

When did they say Gibbs was going home?

• C-Ski says:

I googled “who are the new cast members on ncis this season”. Among sites that came up was one that said ‘NCIS Season Spoilers – 8 things to know before the September 20 premiere”. #6 of the 8 things was a description of an upcoming show in which Gibbs, who it says has not spoken to his father in several years, has to go to his hometown due to the death of 2 marines. At that time it goes on to say his father gives info as to the history of Gibb’s name. Very puzzling since he died in season 11 and in real life Ralph Waite died also! It will be very disturbing if they bring in a new actor and hope we forget that Gibbs’ dad died 3 seasons ago! I hope I misunderstood, but if you read it let me know what you think. Thanks.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I have confirmed that this “teaser” is complete nonsense. Considering the (suuuuuper sketchy) website where you found it, no surprise at all. Please be more careful when sharing information from non-legit sites.

29. Bart says:

The two new cast members’ acting skills are worse than Bishop. This is not going to work.

30. teresa kenny says:

new faces not working.

31. Christine says:

Odd, fast paced with too many new whatever variables and little familiarity uncomfortable 😣

32. mic says:

I’m had a hard time watching this season the show is just not as good!

33. Barbara Vetter says:

Your show doesn’t need bathtub scenes with Gibbs telling “Senior,” “Don’t get up” and the woman in the tub saying, “he already is.”

Do have an episode suggestion, though. Have “Dr. Bull” go to Paris and bump into his “double,” Tony.

34. Ncis is DEAD IN THE WATER ZIVA GONE & DEAD NOW TONY DINOZO GONE & ON TO BULL WICH SUMS UP NCIS….BULL****
    SO GET OUT GIBBS & BABY AS UR RUNNNIN OUT & DESPERATE
    SO IT’S THE END OF NCIS

• Ncis is DEAD IN THE WATER ZIVA GONE & DEAD NOW TONY DINOZO GONE & ON TO BULL WICH SUMS UP NCIS….BULL****
      SO GET OUT GIBBS & ABY AS UR RUNNNIN OUT & DESPERATE
      SO IT’S THE END OF NCIS & SO GET OUT WHILST ON TOP OR SINK &leaking already….lost touch of reality & putting in “new thespian….won’t work….u had a dynamic & after ziva hanging in now dinozzo DEAD AS A DODO IS UR NEW SPOT