The actor will play Colonel John Parry (also known as Doctor Stanislaus Grumman or Jopari), who in the books accidentally travels to Lyra’s world and becomes a renowned scholar and shaman. His dæmon was called Sayan Kötör, and had the form of an osprey.
The show’s official Twitter account first announced the casting with a photo of Scott and Lin Manuel Miranda, who portrays Lee Scoresby in the series.
His Dark Materials Season 1 premieres this fall on HBO.
Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…
* Chicago Med is adding a new ED doc to its ranks: Dominic Rains (aka Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s Kasius) will recur during Season 5 (with the possibility of becoming a series regular), TVLine has learned. The actor will play Crockett Marcel, a hard-partying doctor from Louisiana who “gambles and drinks all night and then hooks himself up to an IV drip in the morning to slide into work like a true badass.”
* Terry O’Quinn has joined ABC’s new fall drama Emergence in the recurring role of Richard Kindred, a self-made billionaire “will go to great lengths to protect his company [Augur Industries] and reputation, and few would dare to cross him,” per the official description.
* Empire has tapped Diamond White (Dear White People) to recur during the sixth and final season as Lala, a talented SoundCloud singer who is plagued with performance anxiety, Deadline reports.
* Killing Eve Season 3 has added Dame Harriet Walter (The Spanish Princess, The Crown) and Danny Sapani (Harlots, Penny Dreadful) to the cast; no characters details were made available.
* Carrie Underwood this year will host the CMA Awards with special guest hosts Reba McEntire and Dolly Parton — marking the first time in 11 years that Underwood has not teamed with Brad Paisley. ABC will broadcast the show live from Bridgestone Arena in Nashville on Wednesday, Nov. 13.
* Disney+ will launch in Canada and the Netherlands, in tandem with the U.S., on Tuesday, Nov. 12 (at the subscription price of $8.99CAD per month/$89.99 per year and €6.99 per month/€69.99 per year). The new streaming service will then arrive in in Australia and New Zealand on Nov. 19.
Which of today’s TVLine Items pique your interest?