Andy Garcia has booked his first series-regular TV role: The film actor will star opposite SNL‘s Kenan Thompson in NBC’s single-camera comedy pilot The Kenan Show, our sister site Deadline reports.
The project follows a newly widowed dad (Thompson) determined to be everything for his kids while begrudgingly letting his persistent father-in-law (Garcia), a retired police officer, become more involved in their lives.
Garcia has previously appeared on the small screen in episodes of Ballers, George Lopez, Will & Grace and Frasier. He most recently co-starred in the HBO TV movie My Dinner With Hervé.
Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…
* Tony-winning actor Leslie Odom Jr. (Broadway’s Hamilton) has joined the cast of The Sopranos prequel film The Many Saints of Newark, Deadline reports. No character details have been disclosed.
* OWN has given a series order to Cherish the Day, an anthology show from executive producer Ava DuVernay (Queen Sugar) which chronicles the romance of one couple, with each episode spanning a single day. The series will premiere in the winter of 2020.
* Kate Mulgrew (Orange Is the New Black), Brett Gelman (Fleabag, Camping) and Natalie Paul (The Sinner) will recur during Season 3 of AT&T Audience Network’s Mr. Mercedes, per Deadline.
* The documentary Ask Dr. Ruth will now debut Saturday, June 1 on Hulu, four weeks after its theatrical release on May 3.
* Tin Star, starring Tim Roth, has been renewed by Sky Atlantic for a third and final, six-episode season in which the Worth family returns to the UK “to confront their menacing past.” Stateside, the series has thus far been streaming on Amazon.
Which of today’s TVLine Items pique your interest?