Jean Smart can’t get enough of comic book characters: The actress — who co-stars in FX’s Marvel drama Legion — has joined HBO’s upcoming Watchmen adaptation in a series-regular role, our sister site Deadline reports.
Smart will play an unnamed FBI agent who is investigating a murder. (There is speculation that Smart’s character is Agent Blake.)
Set in an alternate history where “superheroes” are treated as outlaws, the forthcoming drama “embraces the nostalgia of the original groundbreaking graphic novel while attempting to break new ground of its own,” per the network. Damon Lindelof (Lost, The Leftovers) will oversee writing duties and serve as an executive producer.
Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…
* HBO has ordered the six-part miniseries The Plot Against America, from The Wire producers David Simon and Ed Burns, Deadline reports. Based on Philip Roth’s novel, the project tells the story of an alternate American history in which Charles Lindbergh becomes president and turns the nation toward fascism, as told through the POV of a working-class Jewish family.
* USA Network’s Bourne franchise series offshoot Treadstone has cast Brian J. Smith (Sense8) and Jeremy Irvine (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again), per Deadline.
* Vanity Fair, a seven-episode adaptation of William Makepeace Thackeray’s novel starring Olivia Cooke (Bates Motel), will stream exclusively on Amazon in the U.S., beginning Friday, Dec. 21.
* Netflix has released a new trailer for Daily Show host Trevor Noah’s new stand-up comedy special Son of Patricia, releasing Tuesday, Nov. 20:
* YouTube Premium has released a trailer for Champaign ILL — a new comedy starring Adam Pally (Happy Endings) and Sam Richardson (Veep), and featuring guest star Jay Pharoah (SNL) — dropping all 10 episodes on Wednesday, Dec. 12:
Which of today’s TVLine Items piques your interest?