Post Mortems
Orphan Black Series Finale

Orphan Black Boss on Burning Qs About Kira's Dad, Charlotte's Future and More

Warning: The following contains spoilers for the very last episode of Orphan Black. Proceed at your own peril.

Orphan Black may be over, but our burning questions about the series finale will never end.

After weighing in on when and how he and co-creator/director John Fawcett decided what the show’s swan song would be, co-creator/writer Graeme Manson tackled a few lingering mysteries about Charlotte’s living situation, Kira’s MIA pops and the clone conspiracy.

And after a season of surprising and fun returns — Dr. Leekie! Aynsley! Chad! — Manson explains why some other comebacks just weren’t necessary.

TVLINE | When Siobhan exposed Neolution, was the existence of clones concealed from the public?
MANSON | Yes. It’s one of those things we always avoided. We never wanted that sort of news conference-y [moment or] the plot to turn to, “Oh, it’s all going public.” That took out the mystery and the heat and the clandestine tone of what the girls were going through, so we were never interested in that. It’s our secret, and we’re off to cure our secret sisters.

Orphan Black Season 3 Sarah CalTVLINE | Where is Cal? Is he still in Iceland?
MANSON | He’s doing whatever Khaleesi tells him to do.

TVLINE | On that note, you got a lot of fun characters back this season for flashbacks. Were there actors like Michiel Huisman that you wanted to get back, but couldn’t?
MANSON | Yeah, sure. Anybody who wasn’t there was somebody we couldn’t get back. [Laughs] But listen, you can’t get everybody. Particularly some of the male supporting cast who were love interests to, for instance, Sarah or Helena. At the end of the day, when we were boiling it down with Tatiana [Maslany], it was like, these girls’ story does not need to be supported by a male romantic interest. The tightening and the closing down and the finishing of these women, it’s about a sisterhood, motherhood and family. For instance, after everything they’ve been through, do you think Helena really needs a boyfriend? No, she needs her sisters. What’s more important? I think we focused it quite thoughtfully that way.

TVLINE | Is Charlotte living with Art?
MANSON | She was staying with Art during the last couple of episodes of shenanigans, when everybody was running around. She was staying with Art’s ex and Art’s daughter. It’s a nice, little open thing of what could happen to Charlotte. I know that the fandom discussed her being adopted by Cosima and Delphine. I love that story, too. That’s a beautiful one to have in your imagination. I second that. It’s not what we chose to put on screen. But there are a bunch of jumping-off points, and when you end with the hopeful tone that we have, the fans can take their hopeful ideas of what might happen to the loose ends, and they can spin it forward in the same tone. If we ended in a giant bloodbath, I don’t think you’d be able to do that spinning forward. [Laughs] [With] loose ends like that, we all just need to know that this family is going to stick together.

Orphan Black fans, are you OK with not getting a cameo from Cal or Helena’s brief romantic interest Jesse (played by Patrick J. Adams)?

1. Jason says:

Cal’s not dead, so now that they’re out of the woods, it leaves it open for him to come back into their lives. That’s more than enough of an opening. He wanted to be with them, so there’s no reason to believe he wouldn’t make that effort. One way or the other, they don’t to spell it out in minute detail.

• LAwoman says:

I agree. Even if Sarah has no interest, I am fine assuming that Cal will be part of Kira’s life to whatever extent she wants him to be. And I am also fine with Helena just being a new mom for the foreseeable future. It’s what she fought so hard for.

2. Susan says:

I think Cal deserved a shout-out, especially when they were talking about Kira. Helena is surrounded by the loves of her life, so no need to mention Jesse.

3. kirads09 says:

Would’ve loved Patrick J Adams to show up for Helena and her bebes and Cal for Sarah and Kira – however unrealistic or too happy endingish. My ?’s: re Helena’s bebes. Refresh my memory. She was inseminated by Gracie’s cult, right? Sooo – are her boys Castor? How did Felix’s art career take off so apparently fast and suddenly? Did Sarah go back for her GED test EVER? I honestly was disappointed in her decision to walk away. What of Krystal? What about Kira’s “sensate” abilities with all her “aunts”?

• Madison says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one wondering about Kira’s “abilities”. They never really explained that!

• David says:

Felix’s art career took off because of that big art guy from N.Y. that Felix mentioned was at his show in episode 8. Her decision to walk away from the test made perfect sense because of how scared she was of being a bad mom. A lot of people are so afraid of failing that they don’t try. Plus, she was still “not mended”, as Helena put it. It set up the scene with the 4 sisters supporting each other beautifully. Krystal never really knew what was going on and was happy so no reason to clue her in. They did mention they inoculated her. I believe it was Henrik’s sperm that was used to fertilize Helena’s eggs so they are not Castor but they might grow up to be farmers. I assume Kira will always have her ability.

4. Amanda says:

I had a feeling that Cal and Jesse couldn’t come back because of their actors’ schedules. I just assumed that Sarah and Helena would probably reunite with them sometime later after they start to lead normal lives. It’s open ended that way so those of us that wanted it could think that while other fans’ ideas and headcannons could be possible too for them. The finale was great and wrapped up everything nicely for me.

5. T.W.S.S. says:

At least Gemma returned (though not one mention of Oscar). But I would have died (in a good way) if Angela Deangelis had come back.

6. Martin says:

Would of loved one more shirtless Hot Paul scene this season :-)

7. Missy says:

I was more concerned with where Oscar Hendrix was, they got Gemma back but no Oscar, or even a mention of where he might be.

Does Helena need a boyfriend? No. But we really liked Jesse, and so did Helena.

Did Sarah need to fall back into the arms of Cal? Also, no. But again, Kira deserves to know her father, if she wants too.

Anyway, it was a BRILLIANT FINALE! <3

8. Cate says:

I wanted to see Marion Bowles! Where’s Michelle Forbes these days?

9. Sestra says:

I bertrand their pov and I agréé. They Don’t need a man because it was more about sisterhood & family. But why not? Excepté I ship more Sarah With Paul (rip) so never interested in Cal. For Jesse I loved him but it was a little out of nowhere (To be that into her/him). Nut I can feel an Helena/Art thing

10. Count me in the camp who hoped (but didn’t expect to see) a return of Jesse and Cal. Do Helena and Sarah NEED either of them? No, but they seemed happy with those two men. And if it is perfectly good for Alison to be happy with Donnie and with Cosima to be happy with Delphine, then I don’t consider it unfeminist for Helena to have Jesse, and for Cal to at least not be a presence in Sarah and Kira’s life. But the finale was open ended enough that one could imagine that future, so I’ll just keep that in my own personal headcanon.

11. Lysh says:

It was probably not for everyone, but the finale was perfect to me. Like, I didn’t need a huge fight at the end. I loved that everything was over after about twenty minutes and we got to see the sestras finally just getting to live. I sorta hoped for little cameos from some of the guys, but it wasn’t necessary. I’m sorta shipping Helena and Art now lol, although Jesse was good. We’ll never know.
    I can’t remember the last time I felt so satisfied by a series finale.

12. M says:

Just a shout out, at least about Cal — similar to the way they acknowledged Tony and Krystal — would have been good. I can believe that Helena and Jesse weren’t going to end up together, but as Kira’s father, they could at least have said that Cal called or something. Or that he worked with Felix and Adele getting information because he was resourceful that way – and he will meet up later. Sarah is still going to be who she is on her own journey, but Kira did have a connection even if Sarah didn’t ultimately want one. One line! That’s maybe my only real disappointment in the ending. I loved it, and the series; that was just a big thread to ignore.

13. Shantel says:

Whatever happened to the last of Helena’s eggs? Last I recall, she buried the container in Allison’s garden. Now that her sisters are cured, could they carry a child?

• Znachki says:

Her eggs are no longer viable. In the episode where she buries them, she apologizes for not knowing that they needed to stay cold. Did you notice that there was a Russian Orthodox cross in the garden? That is where she buried them.

14. I agree that we don’t need to see Jesse & Cal from a love interest perspective. Keeping it Clone Club is the right thing to do for the sestras. But Kira was already calling him Dad (or Daddy?), so for her sake, I would have liked to at least HEARD where he is

15. Cynthia says:

The series finale was hopeful and the sestras are in good place. Life does not wrap up in a nice bow hardly ever! Thank you Orphan Black for a satisfying ending.
    I hate when the end rips your heart out and guts you! I will miss #Clone Club. Tatiana, you killed it again!

16. Terry Tepper says:

I truly enjoy the show I did not understand the finale was Saturday the last episode ???or it will continue to a conclusion more days

17. Desra says:

if they couldn’t get Cal back, they should have explained his sudden disappearance. You can’t just drop important characters (yes, he was important as Kira’s dad). A few well written lines to tie up loose ends is needed. Unforgivable mistake.