Game of Thrones Ratings

Ratings: Game of Thrones Season 7 Premiere Sets New Record

Game of Thrones returned Sunday night in record-breaking form.

The Season 7 premiere of HBO’s mega-phenom drew a series-best 10.1 million viewers, up 27 percent over last year’s Season 6 opener. That trumps the show’s previous record of 8.9 million viewers for the Season 6 finale.

When replays and streaming numbers are factored in, the 10.1 million total jumps to 16.1 million — also a record.

TVLine readers gave Sunday’s opener an average grade of B+.

1. AJJJ says:

No surprise there.

2. Kevin Tran says:

Guess there’s going to be more record breaking numbers for GoT throughout the course of the Summer until the season ends on August 27th.

3. Iris says:

100% deserved.

4. Edyn says:

I though it was great now that Ramsay Bolton is out of the way, the Starks are a family again, Arya has new abilities, and we know who Jon’s parents are. When Wolf meets Dragon and learns he is part Targeryan, will he be accepted by Daenerys since he has both noble houses in his blood? Is there a record of him being born of both houses?Will they join forces or compete for the throne? Ooh, it is going to be good…

5. lame says:

Very exciting even without much action. All the principles are now on Westeros.

• lame says:

Jon and Daenery will meet much sooner now that Sam has sent Jon a raven telling him Dragonstone sits on dragon blade.

6. Dorrett Saffold says:

Wow…i havent seen Season 7 epi 1 yet. But i must say that they are a team of great actors. They must all have theatre background. If not…being in a cast like this will force u to learn alot. Even the kids benefit from such great acting. I am still learning their names. I am down with the Starks name…im still learning the rest of the names.

7. Dorrett saffold says:

Excellent actors. They must al have theatre experience. Even the kids are excellent actors. Bravo to u all.

• Dorrett saffold says:

I also love the EPILOGS at the end of each episode. I usually compare it with my conclusion of how i perceive each character. The directors help u to go into the mind of each characters. I truly enjoy that part of the EPILOG.

• Edyn says:

Most do. Now that you mention it, the UK actors do threater and the US actors do shows. I am not sure if it is all true, but I began to think about it and all the BBCA shows I watch, the actors start with theater.

8. Steve says:

Over-rated & over-hyped. Yawn.

• Edyn says:

If it is not your cup of tea, why are you responding to this article? Shows I do not like I do not respond to. If I see a show I do not like or have not watched get better ratings, then it is great for the show, but I still do not comment or watch it. Why comment if I do not watch the show?

9. Sirena Irene Lovato says:

This might be because of the wider availability of HBO. It’s no longer just available on your home TV and only from your cable provider. Now you can watch it on any device through HBO GO, and don’t have to pay for cable. Other channels should learn a lesson here!!

• Edyn says:

Oh god I know. They should take a lesson from HBO and the CW. The CW is another one you can watch without a provider. I just canceled my provider subscription and now I cannot watch the Syfy app because they need a provider and just realized SDCC is this weekend.

10. Sims says:

The poll I saw you do on the recap gave the episode an A at 59.30% and I just had a look then and the A(awesome) option is still way ahead at 59.34%, weird that ends up as a B+?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It’s the average grade. Got some Bs and a few Cs in there pulling the average down. –Mgmt.