Star Trek Discovery Premiere Date

Star Trek: Discovery Premiere Date Is At Long Last Announced

Nearly 20 months after initially getting a green light, Star Trek: Discovery finally has a launch date.

CBS announced on Monday that the long-delayed reboot will premiere on Sunday, Sept. 24 at 8:30/7:30c on both the network and its streaming arm CBS All Access. Subsequent episodes will drop every Sunday only on CBS All Access, with the second episode available the same night as the premiere.

Meanwhile, Discovery‘s 15-episode rookie-season roll-out will follow The Walking Dead model, with the first eight episodes running in the fall (through Sunday, Nov. 5) and the final seven episodes unspooling in the winter (beginning in January 2018).

Discovery was originally slated to bow in January 2017, but a host of behind-the-scenes issues (e.g. the exit of showrunner Bryan Fuller, the technical demands of the project) led CBS to delay it first to May 2017 and then again to Summer/Fall 2017.

The Walking Dead alum Sonequa Martin-Green fronts the highly anticipated series as Discovery First Officer Michael Burnham, while Jason Isaacs (The OA) plays Captain Lorca. The cast also includes Doug Jones (Falling Skies) as science officer Lt. Saru (an alien), Anthony Rapp (Broadway’s Rent) as astromycologist Lt. Stamets, Rekha Sharma (Battlestar Galactica) as security officer Commander Landry, Shazad Latif (Penny Dreadful) as Lt. Tyler.

Other key roles include James Frain (True Blood) as Spock’s father Sarek, Michelle Yeoh (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) as captain of the U.S.S. Shenzhou and Rainn Wilson (The Office) as intergalactic criminal Harry Mudd. Terry Serpico (Army Wives) plays Admiral Anderson, while Maulik Pancholy (30 Rock) and Sam Vartholomeos (The Following) playSTAR TREK: DISCOVERY the Shenzou‘s Dr. Nambue and Ensign Connor.

On the Klingon side of things, you have Kenneth Mitchell (Jericho) as commanding officer Kol, plus Damon Runyan (Degrassi), Chris Obi (American Gods, pictured right) and newcomers Clare McConnell and Mary Chieffo.

CBS CEO Les Moonves Moonves recently defended the decision to put Discovery on the All Access streaming service (which costs $5.99/month to subscribe) versus airing it on CBS: “There are millions and millions of Trekkies out there. We know for a fact that the other versions of Star Trek… all did really well on Netflix. That gave us great confidence that this was the right choice to put the full-court press on All Access.”

Check out the new teaser poster below:

1. kirads09 says:

I DO want to see it. Just not sure badly enough to pay $5.99/mo though. I know CBS All Access offers a lot of other things though too.

• Erin says:

The show is also airing on 2 real tv channels in Canada, if you are able to get those. CTV, & Space

• Liz says:

There are definitely some days it is really really good to be Canadian. I can’t see any of the trailers, but I can see the show

• mpsutts says:

I mean we have Space here on some providers in the states but I bet they would restrict it. And CBS trying to act like this was a thoughtful decision when really they just want to make bank of trekkies.

2. Shaun says:

Sunday in September is a terrible day and month to begin Trek.

3. Kevin Mayne says:

Cannot tell by photo but did they redesign the ship? It does look somewhat different

• TVFan says:

No. That has always been the design of the ship for this series. It is the U.S.S. Discovery. You have to remever that this series is set between Star Trek Enterprise and Star Trek (the original series).

• Ben says:

Don’t forget as well that this is a REBOOT of the prime timeline (do not expect continuity with the other TV shows).. and also notice that the initials of the show are STD.. so be careful when you search info about it :P.

• Roamer says:

The ship you saw in the upfront trailer was not the Discovery. It was the USS Shinzou. That upfront trailer probably contained the footage they had at the time to get it done for the upfronts. We also did not see Jason Isaacs in the trailer, who is the Captain of Discovery.

4. Dawn Given says:

I am very disappointed! So looking forward to it only to find you have to subscribe tó receive. Why would I pay $6 for CBS when I can get so much more on Netflix and Hulu for a couple of dollars more?

• Erin says:

• devinserpa says:

Cord cutter here. Will likely just subscribe for one month after all the episodes online and binge watch.

• Michael Conrad says:

It’s funny. I’m a Canadian cord cutter as well. I would have gladly subscribed to CBS All Access for $6-8)/month to get Discovery, and all the other shows.

I wonder if Canadians will be able to subscribe to All Access.

• nerdrage says:

If All Access succeeds enough in the US, I’m sure CBS has plans for global expansion. So it all depends on whether CBS can get Americans to sign up. It will probably take a few years before they make a decision one way or the other. The alternative is just turn the license over globally to Netflix and have done with it.

• Michael Summerset says:

If it airs on CTV you should be able to get it off-air, depending on your reception conditions. And you may be able to watch it on the Space website, but I think Netflix has the streaming rights for Canada.

5. Television says:

Well, two things. One, I won’t be able to watch it, as I’m not going to pay for this channel. Two, lets hope they don’t screw it up like Enterprise and the “new” reboot movies. Lets keep it to the originals that made it great, TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY.

6. Todd Pfaff says:

Pity about the streaming only decision – some of us are still, old-school, television-watching trekkies. Guess I’ll miss this one.

7. Phillip says:

I’M SO EXCITED FOR THIS YOU DONT EVEN KNOW!!

• Fred VonFirstenberg says:

You’re correct, we don’t. Do tell us. I’m beside myself waiting with baited breath for your answer.

8. Derek says:

This is either going to be brilliant or a complete mess. Let’s see if all efforts to save it will pan out – a la ‘Rogue One’ or fail miserably – a la ‘Suicide Squad’.

9. for Europe it will be on Netflix.

10. Anne says:

YASSSSSSS SO EXCITED!!!!!

11. Peggy says:

I’m very disappointed that CBS is not offering this program on its regular network. I loved the Good Wife and would have loved to watch its spinoff but have and am still refusing to pay extra money to watch either of these shows. I honestly feel the networks and cable companies generate and earn enough money without nickel and diming the public any more than they already are.

• nerdrage says:

They’re going to streaming because the audience is bailing from broadcast and in a few years, broadcast won’t be able to support the cost of scripted drama and comedy. CBS is planning their exit from broadcast now, by using Star Trek to bolster their streaming service numbers.

12. ctrloptdel says:

Any word on when it’ll premiere on Netflix (specifically in the UK in my case)?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Decipher as you wish; TVLine bears no responsibility: “The series will be distributed concurrently by CBS Studios International on Netflix in 188 countries and in Canada on Bell Media’s Space channel and OTT service CraveTV.”

UPDATE: I had my Wheaties so I confirmed for you that the dates are in fact same for Netflix UK — global launch.

13. This is going to fail so hard. Just look at the trailer, with the slanted-camera-o-vision and the lens flares. Where’s JJ hiding?

14. Craiger says:

I wonder if some fans will complain about it being too advanced with it being before TOS just some of them did with Enterprise?

• rarefied says:

I’ve already seen people complaining about just that so yes. Also a lot of complaints about it being diverse because they apparently have never watched an episode of any Star Trek series in their lives.

15. Kimberly Kim says:

Too bad they chose to gouge the American audience. If it goes to Netflix, I’ll check it out. Otherwise, not interested in lining cbs pockets just for one show

16. Craiger says:

When it goes to just CBS All Access what time it be on Sunday? Thanks.

17. lifeofanoddball says:

So happy that it airs here (Ireland) as a Netflix Original. It’s a bit ridiculous to have it on CBS all access instead of CBS. People aren’t gonna pay for All Access cause they have Netflix or Hulu

18. soapie0 says:

CBS CEO Les Moonves recently defended the decision to put Discovery on the All Access streaming service (which costs $5.99/month to subscribe) versus airing it on CBS: “I bet I can get Trekkies to pay for cable AND an extra show. I’m gonna’ make lots of money and this won’t bite me in the butt at all. People will love me.”

19. Tom says:

So with them spreading the episodes out, will it actually be cheaper to buy the season off Amazon, iTunes, Google Play… instead of paying $6 a month for the 5 or 6 months it will air over. Though of course you could just binge it all in the spring for only the one month’s charge.

20. Ron Hobson says:

I am an avid fan of Star Trek. However, if it is not on a broadcast network for which I already must pay for each episode, then I will miss it until I can find used season disks later.

For those of you not thinking it through yet, it is $5.99 plus the cost of your internet data each month to get to watch on the now limited volume packages available through most providers or even the pay by amount of data like satellite access uses.

21. Samuel Stewart says:

So I also heard star trek Discovery will be on Netflix as well. I subscribe to Netflix, or is it only available to viewers on Netflix outside the United States? It really isn’t very fair that two Canadian channels air it for free,but if you live in the United States, you have to pay for this awesome new show!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Read my comment up above. Netflix is for outside the U.S. (except in Canada).

• Cas says:

Why is Netflix different in other Countries? Is it a licensing issue? I have always wondered this.

• nerdrage says:

Yes, Netflix just gets the shows that somebody is willing to sell them country by country. They generally prefer global licenses but if CBS offers them Star Trek outside the US and Canada, Netflix is not going to turn down Star Trek under whatever conditions. A big name brand like that is gold for getting people to subscribe to Netflix. It’s also gold for getting people to subscribe to CBS All Access, which is why CBS didn’t offer the US license, it wants to use that to boost its own service in the hopes of becoming Netflix themselves.

22. Luis Roman says:

Good old Make A Buck Les.

23. Hope says:

I think in all fairness to the Franchise, and in keeping with the spirit of fan respect and appreciation, Star Trek Discovery should debut on the regular (free) network, perhaps later moving to All Access. I hope you’ll reconsider your decision as loyal fans and newcomers have been looking forward to this new series for a long time, and with the state of the nation as it is, a pay per view initial installment just feels wrong. Thank you for considering a better way.

24. d282 says:

My husband and I were really happy when we heard that there was going to be a new Star Trek series on CBS. Then we heard it was going to CBS All Access instead. My husband told me that he is not going to pay more money to watch Star Trek.

25. Steven says:

As somebody who already subscribes to every channel Verizon sells as well as Netflix and YouTube Red, I can’t justify subscribing to another streaming service for just one show (not even Trek). I wish they would have partnered with an established streaming provider or network in the US…

• nerdrage says:

They did partner with a streaming service: their own.

Yes, nobody subscribes to CBS All Access. That’s the problem CBS is trying to solve by making Star Trek in the first place.

26. Thomas Miller says:

Well since they are only airing 8 episodes between start and Nov 7, then resuming with 8 more episodes some time January 2018, I think I will just get one month service, suspend it till January for another month. That is all that is on CBS All Access in my area anyway. They on show 3 cable companies to use for live shows and then only for prime time. They have done a very poor job on this and want to charge only Americans to watch it. We all need to complain to the FCC that we are being discriminated against as Americans. File your complaints!!!!!

27. Charles Clark says:

Why do you make the Aliens so freaking ugly! they don’t look like this! they look like greys!

28. Adm.Sisko says:

While all of the other Treks have done well on Netflix, that was only “after” they had aired and ran full course on broadcast TV.

29. Ryan says:

Pay for 3 months for 7 or 8 episodes? Can you watch repeats? Just pay for October and November..and you’ll only be a week behind?

30. Michael Summerset says:

Did they realize how phallic the poster is when they put it out?

31. Michael Summerset says:

I suspect the show will beat the pirating record set by Game of Thrones. People who are savvy enough to use AA are also savvy enough to find alternatives. Canadians who can will watch it on Space. Everyone will watch pirate copies of Space’s broadcast.

But I don’t see how CBS can’t air it on TV eventually. Otherwise it’s just not going to get enough attention to see another season. CBS is just using it as Trekkie-bait to get them to pay for a service they’re not going to use otherwise.

32. lrdslvrhnd says:

I’m starting to feel about this like I do the Fraggle Rock movie… I’ll believe in it when I’m actually watching it.
    Of course, I won’t be watching it past the first episode because $5.99/mo? Screw that.

33. Rick Katze says:

Pay $5.99 plus tax to watch one show on a small screen? No way. If I can’t watch it on my large hi-def TV, I’ll pass.

34. Eric Whitman says:

every time i read something about this it just seems worse and worse. long time trek fan will not be checking this out.

35. Maryann says:

What on earth were they thinking with the look they gave these klingons? I hope they have a story-based explanation.

36. WS says:

Well All Access isnt just this one show, you get The Good Fight also.. as well as the Big Brother live feeds.

37. No no no says:

Wow. Not only are they hobbling this show by putting it on a streaming only platform, now they’re banking on it being good enough for people to put up with a 2-3 month hole in the middle of the season? Judging by the trailer, that’s going to be a hard sell.

38. Cindy says:

NOOOOO!!!!! This is NOT acceptable! I have never missed a single episode of any of the Star Trek series. Until now. I refuse to be forced into paying for All Access for a show that should be on open broadcast TV. This is NOT the Star Trek way.