Exclusive
The Exorcist Season 2

The Exorcist Season 2 Cast Shakeup: Who's In? Who's Out?

This is bound to turn a few heads (that lede never gets old!).

Roughly a month after The Exorcist‘s surprise renewal, Fox has put the finishing touches on the official Season 2 cast list — and there are a few notable (if not entirely unexpected) omissions.

The priestly trio of Alfonso Herrera, Kurt Egyiawan and Ben Daniels will all be back as series regulars, but they will be presiding over a new possession case. As a result, Geena Davis, Alan Ruck, Hannah Kasulka and Brianne Howey  — aka the demonized Rance clan — are exiting the series (although they could return on a guest-star basis).

Exec producer Jeremy Slater previously told our sister site Deadline that his goal for Season 1 was “to tell a story with a beginning, a middle and an end and that story was the possession of the Rance family,” adding that his Season 2 challenge “would be to come up with a new storyline that was just as exciting and emotionally gripping.” He was quick to note, however, “That doesn’t mean we won’t see the Rance family again.”

At least one member of the Rance brood is staying in the Fox fold: Howey recently inked a deal to co-star opposite Mark-Paul Gosselaar in the network’s vampire-themed drama pilot The Passage.

1. Van says:

I loved gina davis

• ChristianVA22172 says:

Damn if you “love her so much” why can’t you remember her name is Fernando not “Gina” 😢

You bastard you!!!😋

2. TJ says:

Man…. Gina Davis was the reason I enjoyed the first season so much, but in a way the decision makes sense from a story-telling perspective. I could see this show going the route of semi-anthology with a new case/event each season. I just hope they can give us compelling enough new characters!

3. Wrstlgirl says:

Fine with me, can’t stand Davis.

4. Not surprised, Davis’ arc concluded, makes sense they will move on to a next case. Looking forward to more episodes of this underrated gem.

5. I hope they do something really bold and really relevant. This is such a fantastic show but they really need to pull out all the stops so they can get a bigger audience. Stunt casting would also help. 3 ideas:

1) Ryan Gosling could play a transwoman who is the single mother of a possessed boy. They live in a very Christian community and she receives a lot of discrimination. Some people in the town think she’s the possessed one and will not take her seriously.

2) Jennifer Lawrence is a war veteran possessed by a Middle Eastern demon or jinn. As they try to release the spirit, the priests realise they can use it to defeat all the demons that are running around Chicago.

3) Neil Patrick Harris is a dodgy businessman who owns a farm where all the animals are possessed by demons. He is reluctant to tell anyone though because they will uncover the fact that he is hiring illegal immigrants as farm hands. He hopes the priest can be discreet but they quickly realise how corrupt the farm is and are caught in a moral quandary.

That’s my ideas. I better get royalties!

• Anne says:

Erm except Gosling isn’t a transwoman. I totally support either Gosling *or* a trans narrative, but a trans character should be played by a trans actor

• I guess it depends on how early in the transition they want to go. There are many examples of cisgender actors pulling off trans quite beautifully. If they can find a really good trans actor, that would be great but ultimately, it should be about finding the best actor for the role, rater than simply ticking diversity boxes. I’d love to see a trans actor in a cis role, playing the gender they identify with, rather than resign themselves to a trans-only career.

6. kamiamaya says:

As long as Ben Daniels is coming back I’m good.

7. Haz says:

I like this idea. I hope they will cast some actors who are well known in the sci-fi/horror universe. Since Scream Queens has been cancelled they could get Jamie Lee Curtis or Sarah Michelle Gellar, even though I don’t think acting is her #1 priority. Bottom line is someone who has a really strong cult following in that universe would be great.

8. mary says:

It makes sense. Not sure why it would be a surprise.If they didn’t “cleanse” the Rance clan, they would be very good at their jobs.

9. ludivine Vernet says:

Oh please bring back Gina Davis

10. Carlos Alvarado says:

As long as Alfonso Herrera is coming back

11. As long as Alfonso Herrera is coming back

12. Anne says:

Well as sad as I’ll be to not have Geena Davis on my screen, narratively this makes sense so I’m okay with it. It’s a bold move. I always wished they would have done that with the Scream show.

13. arlene says:

I just want Ben Daniels. (Tho, did get attached to the sisters, and Geena Davis is always cool.)

14. GK says:

Seeing Alfonso Herrera in this makes the Sense8 cancellation sting even more.

15. Wooster182 says:

I’m only watching for AH so I’m on board.

16. I am so EXCITED that they renewed Exorcist fot a 2nd season! I love these type of shows, especially when it has a good story line! ! I can’t wait to see what they come up with for season 2! 😆

17. Jim says:

A big part of the appeal of this show, to me, was the incredible job Hannah Kasulka did acting possessed by the demon. I mean her performance was downright disturbing and unsettling, with no camp or overacting to be found. She really sold it as something sinister, which is a difficult mood to create on screen. That said, the writing was also really strong (much stronger than it had any right to be, really), and it isn’t like there was much narrative reason to keep the Rance family around any more. I’m 100% in for the new season, largely new cast or not.

18. chadcronin says:

The Passage is sounding better with each casting news coming out. I am curious to see what The Exorcist Season 2 comes up with, but really it comes down to the casting. Season 2 of Secrets and Lies was a huge change so it wasn’t as good because they cast completely different than they did for the 1st season. Will wait and see…

19. Kepler says:

Not really surprised by the cast shake ups, but I actually thought Kurt Egyiawan’s character got killed at some point? I think I might need to rewatch lol

20. Michael says:

This is better. First season felt like a surprise sequel that was done very well. Would rather not see it get watered down.

21. ReneCat says:

It’s ok with me I liked the Rance family but it could get boring if they’re the only ones ever featured. This way we get to see new reactions and outcomes. And if the different people are really different we might get to see different religious and cultural reactions and that would be very interesting. But PLEASE Fox keep the scares!