Chicago Fire Recap

Chicago Fire Finale Recap: Holy Smokes

Nearly every member of the Chicago Fire crew found themselves in harm’s way in Tuesday’s Season 5 finale, which closed out with most of Firehouse 51 trapped in an inferno.

If you’re keeping count, Boden, Cruz, Dawson, Brett, Tony and Capp are the only folks not inside the burning building. Otis and Kidd are pinned down in the factory fire, while Severide and Kannell are blocked. Meanwhile, Herrmann is inside with Mouch — who earlier announced that this would be his last shift before retiring — when the Chicago Fire Recaplatter collapses from a possible heart attack. Outside, a tearful Cruz apologizes via radio for freezing Mouch out and begs him not to die, but it’s definitely not looking good for the firefighter.

But the most emotional goodbye comes from a trapped Casey to his wife on the outside. He takes off his mask so she can hear his voice and then pours his heart out: “Gabby, you know how much you mean to me, right? You’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me. Gabby, I want you to remember us happy, together, holding each other. You’re my miracle, Gabby. You’re my miracle. I love you.”

Earlier in the episode, Casey wasn’t feeling so lovey-dovey towards his other half, telling her in no uncertain terms that he’s not happy with her father Ramon’s indefinite stay. Gabby, meanwhile, accuses Casey of being selfish by spending the night at Severide’s rather than talking out their problems. She later confides to Brett that it’s difficult to see the man who’s been the rock of the family crumbling right in front of her. Brett urges her to tell that to Casey the next chance she gets… but she never does get the opportunity.

Elsewhere in the hour:

* Realizing that his alderman position is starting to affect his personal life and his firefighter job, Casey steps down and nominates Tamara to replace him.

* Boden informs Severide that it’s up to him to decide who goes into the rescue squad floater pool. Despite his end-of-episode mea culpa, I’m thinking it’s still not looking good for petulant Cruz, who more than once brushed off a concerned Severide.

* “How long is he staying?” “Ask my wife. Because I can’t.” That was a nice Casey/Severide bro moment.

Fire fans, what did you think of the season ender? Who do you suspect won’t make it out alive come fall? Grade the episode via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

1. Snow says:

So almost all of my favorite characters are in there :(
    I hope Munch isn’t gonna die, I don’t want him to leave the show either.

• I we don’t want to see Casey go or Severide, shoot I don’t want to see any of them go, the show wouldn’t be the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,
      😂😑😣😥😥😢😢😢😭😭😭

• Tina Walker says:

I agree with you. Its not Chicago Fire without any of them, especially Matt and Severide. It was so heartbreaking when Matt is telling Gabby how much he loves her, but at the same time it was also very romantic.

• Teresa says:

I so agree. Please don’t let any of them die. It won’t be the same. 😢 i love them all and they are what makes the show. Still missing Leslie & Mills on there.!!

• Sally McLinn says:

They can’t do that can they? They can’t kill off Casey and Severide. Maybe a superhero will come to the rescue.
        Holy smokes is right!

• I am worried about Trudy, I hate to see her distraught by losing Mouch. and I am with you! Linda Smith, why do any more characters have to die? The show will be better if they don’t.

2. Wrstlgirl says:

Great episode but I gotta say this. Didn’t they already do a season finale with a bunch of them stuck in a burning building. Granted the building exploded but still, same ending. I hope none of them die this time around.

3. Heather says:

Thank god that Chicago Fire was picked up for next season… otherwise that would have sucked :(
    So many tears…

Got a typo in there… Dawson, meanwhile accuses CASEY of being selfish ;)

4. fernando933 says:

If Casey dies that will be a very bold and risky move the writers take but that will be a lot of stories for Gabby to have, dealing with his death, might even end up adopting a child alone, dating life when she’s ready.

• Soph says:

I don’t see him dying..He ‘s a fan favorite and if he dies, the show will loose a lot of viewers. I think he will be really hurt but he wont dies. If someone dies ,it will probably be Mouch

• Judy Hillyer says:

I’m so tired of Gabby. For a while we referred to it as “The Gabby Show”. Maybe she should have a baby and retire. Then we’d only need to see her once in a while. And, why is no one allowed to be happy? Poor Severide, if I were Kidd I’d be afraid to remain his friend, all the women in his life die.

• Gerry says:

Keep them all alive. Make sure they all cone out alive.the fighters in there make the show. Get them out

• Diana Rodriguez says:

The only one I think won’t be back next season is Mouch. I think he had a heart attack and died right there. I would really like to see Casey and Gabby have a baby of their own, so I’m praying Casey makes it out. Hermann to, he’s got 5 kids to support. I love him. It’s gonna be a long summer to wait for the new season.

• Nick Rayfield says:

Jessie Spencer (Casey) and Taylor Kinney (Severide) were part of the group from NBC that help pitch the next coking season of shows to advertisers in NYC yesterday. It was leaked, they wouldn’t have actors who aren’t in the next season do it, so we know those 2 live.

5. Keisha says:

OMG. I don’t think I can wait to next season. I shed so many tears like they are all my family. I hope they all find away of making it out. Especially Casey, canal, and serveride. But I love them all.

6. Joseohine says:

I honestly do hate when they leave off the show on a bad note. It doesn’t have to be. I would have been happier with a happy ending. Also it doesn’t take a bad ending to make people want to come back to watch the next seasons show.

• Megan says:

but it takes a real dramatic, intense, nail biting, and “on the edge of your seat” finale/cliff hanger to make people want to come back to watch the show when it returns in 4 – 5 months again. if you would show the very ending of a season whether it’s a marriage, relationship, accident, fight, break up, etc, many people might not come back when the next season returns. that’s just how shows work. wish it wasn’t such a long wait, but i guess that’s just how it is

7. Cheryl Kirkpatrick says:

Cliffhangers like that makes a season watched worthwhile! You guys seem to be good at it on Chicago Fire…….

8. James D says:

Great Finale. I got to say though it’s hard to be affected by it because they aren’t going to kill off 1/3 of the firehouse and I highly doubt they will kill off their male lead in Casey. Also, this episode already happened like two seasons ago. It was still really good especially the b-story with Hermann and Kris Bryant. I hope Mouch lives to see retirement.

9. RobMF says:

Such an emotional ending and done better than last time this scenario happened on the show. Cant wait to see how this plays out. The Acting and Writing on this show is great, they deserve so much credit.

• Rosemary Nave says:

This episode was really done well. Even though there were some similarities to season 2, I thought this one was better. Yes CF has good writers and I’m hoping this arc ends well. The writers Micheal Brandt and Derek Haas (Micheal also directed this episode) are not coming back next year. They are going to another Dick Wolf production.

10. Leigh Stevens says:

Casey and Severide can’t die!! They are my favorites!!! Really, none of them can die. They all need to survive. Really if Severide died, I wouldn’t have anyone to look at on the show…… I think Dawson is more selfish. Not Casey.

• Kitty says:

Both were pretty selfish.
      It’s selfish to just leave and stay somewhere else with little to no effort in contacting the other. He said ” I’m finding somewhere else to sleep tonight “, and then left. And although he said he texted her, that doesn’t mean she ever saw it. No one glues their eyes to their phone. Some phones don’t always alert.
      Though I’m not saying Casey is the only one at fault. Although her intentions are good, Gabby does need to listen when Matt is telling her about how he feels about the situation. Her father does need to go, there is no doubt about it, but it is hard to see your childhood heroes ( parents, her father for her specifically ) crumbling down on the ground they stand on. The two just need to talk it out, and listen to each others sides. I hope Casey makes it out for this to be able to happen.

11. Patty says:

I loved it & hated it because I’ve been crying through the last half of the episode! Love all the firemen, loved the Cubs – the kid’s dreams come through – all happy tears!
    Not happy Crying thinking they all not going to get out someway. What a roller coaster of emotions! Bring them all back; can’t do this — The paint blistering; Casey try again; .Mouch save; give Severide a girlfriend that lasts more than a few episodes!

12. Willie F Rivera says:

Casey and Mouch. Casey because that goodbye was too emotional for him to survive and Mouch because he is trapped in a fire, possibly having a heart attack.

13. curran says:

Unless most of the cast are leaving the series, there will be a way out for them

14. John Daye says:

Severide and Canal arent trapped. They are trying to get through to get to either Casey or Herman and Mouch. Whoever they dont get to will be who dies.

15. Ben says:

I hope that Mouch is okay. Trudy Platt is my favourite character and I don’t know what she would do if her husband died!

16. Christine says:

I hope no one dies but it doesn’t look good for Casey or Mouch! I was bawling at the end as I’m so attached to all the characters. I’m going to go nuts waiting to see what happens in the fall. Such a really good show as there aren’t too many good shows on anymore.

17. deedeefelder says:

Save Casey and severide they been through to much already and Hermann has all those kids

18. Bella says:

Gabby is so annoying. I can’t believe she accused Matt of being selfish.

• Wrstlgirl says:

Have to admit I raised an eyebrow when she said that. Say what?!?!

• Seriously though! She’s the most selfish person on the series. “Welcome to the Dawson show!” Like she has no say whatsoever in how her father’s actions are affecting her husband.

• Kitty says:

Her father is out of line. However he is crumbling at her feet and maybe you should put yourself in her situation— seeing the rock of your home crumbling. If anything it’s her father who is selfish as opposed to her and Matt, because he’s not even trying to get out of the house and survive.

19. SFSailLady says:

I do not understand why they didn’t use water on the building.

• Chr36 says:

IKR! They were all just standing around feeling sorry for themselves listening to the violins.

• Nicki says:

Totally, that’s what I was saying. God I would think they would be bombarding it with tons of water and other trucks from different units, thats atleast a 5 alarm fire. God that made me so mad though if they kill off half those guys, I’ll be so pissed. That would kill the show.

• JAZZPURR says:

I agree, that fire was much more than a one alarmer!

• grazelled says:

No kidding, right? My first thought was at least call it in as a 3 or whatever alarm fire and then blame it on the delay if no other trucks so up. I’ve never seen them make such a big technical mistake on the show. It kept bugging me though the acting was amazing.

• Sharon says:

Exactly wheat I was thinking also!

• I’m in shock! Coming on the heels of killing off Sam Hanna’s wife on NCISLA, which really upset me, this was hard to take. I wish they’d stop killing off characters on these shows.

• Alyson says:

That’s what I said, too! All those people outside and not one is picking up a hose??

• KCatty says:

Water is heavy. The fire was in the trusses of the building. You douse the building with water, the whole thing comes down and everyone dies for sure.

• Rebel Ruthi says:

Besides not consistently using firehouses from the ladders they never put up. The ladder truck can mobilize the ladder to different levels & stay at a distance. As stated already, there should have been others squads from all available fire depts there with ladder trucks & water hoses. I’m a Chi-hard, born & raised. Some of the streets mentioned are nowhere near the actual street addresses. Plus some streets run in same direction, but on Chi-Fire they have street names going in opposite directions. Casey’s last words & actions are mimicked from a 9/11 movie about a firefighter caught trapped in the basement​of 1 of the WTC bldgs. Mouch was going to leave the show why do it dying? Every year a fire fighter dies in season finale. I started crying towards end of the show. I am hoping this episode continues on Chicago Med.

• hbkid718 says:

It doesn’t continue on Chicago Med because Med finished their season last week.

• Rosemary Nave says:

CM won’t be back next season until later in the year. Dick Wolf productions has a new Law n Order – the Menendez Brothers starting out the new season (in CM time slot) for 8 episodes, then you have the Winter Olympics and also Thursday night football which would kill off CM. So I believe I read they are bringing it back like March.

20. E.Guillen says:

What a finale! House 51 has always been in jeopardy but makes it back. I do think Mouch is gone and Otis and possibly Kanell. But Severide, Casey and Hermann? They Are House 51! So, writers don’t fail us viewers. Make a TV miracle happen, in the mean time we’ll be waiting for their return as our family dries our tears😱😪
    P.S. Who would Boden holler at, if Guys aren’t around?

21. Veronica Esposito says:

I think Cassy is not going to die, but who knows he might. Plus I think humman will not die nether will severed and the new kid.

22. Jim says:

It’s amazing how attached I am to all these characters . . . well, except Kidd. Part of me has still never forgiven the show for killing Shay, even though then we wouldn’t have Brett. I do think someone’s going to die though, and of all the characters I think Casey is the only one the show wouldn’t survive without, even though all the others would be great losses, so I hope it isn’t him.

23. Andi says:

I cried my eyes out! I will be very pissed if someone dies! It was a definite cliff hanger. Just makes you think “Life is short, and it doesn’t pay staying mad at someone you love!”

24. marvin s kurth says:

All will make it.

25. Kay says:

Anyone hear anything about sign one for the next season yet? That’s one way to tell who is actually coming back! Dear writers if you kill Casey after all the hell you have put him and Gabby through, you will lose viewers including this one!!!

26. Erin says:

What an emotional finale! 😢Jesse Spencer was at the NBC upfronts this past week which has me holding out hope that he WILL be back next season.

27. Deborrah Miller says:

This is my favorite show. You dont have to change anything. Its the best

28. Cobra says:

I thin Mouch is going to die, Curz will move back to truck, and Kannell (sp?) will be the new regular on squad (and a new regular cast member).
    Of course Matt Mayhem Casey will survive.

29. Cobra says:

I’m thinking Mouch is going to die and Cruz will return to Truck, leaving Cannel (sp?) as a new series regular on Squad.
    Matt “Mayhem” Casey will survive.

30. Lorraine O'Brien says:

Don’t let cassy and Kelly died or even Herman but muth.the one with heart attack look like he was sad and looking for a way out but his cop wife will be sad I hope no one’s dieds

31. Julia Crews says:

I was totally crying at the end of that episode as if it was real. I’m not good with sad episodes. I hope that all of them make it out of the building alive.

• Sharon Klein says:

I too cried my eyes out it was so sad cause I don’t want anyone to die, cause most of my favorite characters are in the fire

32. Please do not let Matt Casey die! His and Gabbys love story is one of my many reasons I’ve been a huge fan from the very beginning! This is an amazing show that keeps you at the edge of your seat with non-stop action but also with the love of family and community.

33. Sue says:

When will it be back on

34. quesera1 says:

Here’s my issue — as much as I LOVE the Chicago shows, and I love that there’s one to watch almost every night of the week — a lot of drama of a cliffhanger is lost when the other shows are still on. Don’t get me wrong, the fluidity of the shows and cast is one of my favourite parts, but having so much overlap in the character pool makes it really hard to keep the intensity.

For example, tonight on PD they basically have two options to make sense: (1) Platt is absent and they mention her concern about Mouch and take note that half of the firehouse (friends of the PD crew) is in grave danger, or (2) they let the audience in on the fact that A, B, and C survive, and D dies. If they continue on as if nothing happened on Fire they lose a lot of the joint narrative that they repeatedly rely on. (Same thing with last week’s PD ending with Lindsay facing a review board — yet she shows up on Justice badge in hand like nothing happened).

I repeat — love the shows, love the connections and overlap between them, just pointing out that sometimes it seems like the writers/producers completely ignore it.

35. Alyson says:

They just couldn’t let Mouch retire happily, could they?
    I’m just glad we don’t have to wait until midseason for this cliffhanger to play out like we do with Med!

36. Rebel Ruthi says:

Best cliffhanger in whole series. Didn’t expect Mouch to have a heart attack, just expected him to retire & market fire dept products. Also didn’t expect so many squad members stuck in burning building

37. Becky says:

If Casey dies, I will quit watching the entire Chicago franchise. Jesse Spencer is the reason I watch.

38. Leanna says:

I am soooooo worried that they are going to kill someone off again! I can’t take another Shay!

39. Leanna says:

Did anyone else see Grandpa Rossy sweeping the stadium! AWWWWWW!! Love the Cubbies.

40. Mary Hart says:

Why didn’t the firefighters try to put out fire. They just stood there. No water? I don’t get it.

41. Jenn says:

Brought me to tears last night. Don’t wish for any of them to go.

42. sunshine says:

The worst part is Dawson is outside. These cliffhanger season endings are an insult to their fans, don’t they think we’ll come back without the suspense? I won’t come back because of the cheap lure. Done.

• Anthony says:

Yet here you are talking about it.. I didn’t realize someone is forcing you to watch the show.. get lost 🙄

• ameraleigh says:

I couldn’t agree more, the worst part of the entire episode was that Dawson was outside.

Seeing as Dawson is so extraordinarily awesome at absolutely everything, it’s a pity she didn’t run into the building to try and save Casey, only for her super awesome powers to evade her for the first time ever, causing her to trip and land on her face leaving her trapped in the building while the others made it out safely.

Now that would have made for an excellent episode.

Then I wouldn’t have to watch a show called Chicago Fire be based around the most obnoxious, self-centred, irritating character I’ve ever had the displeasure of watching.

If it weren’t for Severide, Otis and Hermann, I would have given up on The Gabby Show a long time ago.

43. the-muse says:

No matter how much we love this show, we need to put aside the emotional aspect of the fictional scenario (yes, we realize it is just a TV show), The way to know who dies in the fire is to look at which actors have renewed their contracts. This was the fifth season and that means that most of the contracts of the original cast members have reached the end. Any actor who does not renew is the one whose character will not make it out of that fire.

44. OMG I can’t deal with this I’m in tears please don’t tell me that Casey, Mouch, Severide and Herman die… they’re my favorite characters please don’t let them die Chicago Fire will not be the same without them I don’t think I’d be able to watch it…. I better see them back on the show next season😡😡😢😢😢😢

45. Mary Ann says:

Hop Mouch doesn’t leave. I love all of them….Made me cry really. Very sad! Can’t wait until September….

46. Janet says:

Mouch, Very sad ending. Love the show, firefighters are amazing people. Don’t want anyone to leave. A great cast!

47. aeloa says:

I think the story was this way because of contract negotiations. Munch looks like he’s gone with his eyes fixed. Casey may survive and this tragedy could cause the bill too pass. I think Severide will eventually break through and save someone.

• flowerduh says:

I totally agree. That’s pretty much the story right there. Casey isn’t leaving nor is Severide because they are the main characters. Mouch is done! If he survives then that would be an incredible plot twist. (Just like Shay) But Casey and Severide are going to survive.

48. Olivia Reed says:

Great finale , love this show hope everyone makes it out alive , why wasnt anyone shooting water into the building.

49. Jane says:

If Casey and severide die in the show I probably won’t be watching it anymore.

50. Jeanne says:

So so sad I can’t believe so many are trapped It was awful But a great episode and we’ll all be back next season to see who survives👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻