Reign Series Finale Date

Reign Series Finale to Air in June

The end of Queen Mary’s Reign is nigh.

The CW on Thursday released a complete schedule of this year’s finale dates, including the farewell episode of Reign, which will wrap its four-season run on Friday, June 16 at 9/8c.

As for whether or not Reign‘s finale will stay true to history — with Mary (spoiler alert!) losing her head — star Adelaide Kane tells TVLine:

“We have taken some very generous creative liberties with our storylines, but we have kept the bones fairly accurate. I mean, if we were going to throw the baby out with the bathwater, we would have had Francis live. And then none of this would have happened!”

What are your hopes for Reign‘s final bow? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. brandydanforth81 says:

Im gonna miss this show and it’s wonderful cast-Toby,Torrance,Megan,Rachel,Adelaide.

2. Karen Ambrosine says:

Im truly going to miss watching this show. I fight with family (and win) to watch it. Lol. I love the era, clothing, castles and beautiful country. Thank you for letting me see how they lived life back then

• Karen Ambrosine says:

The cast is brilliant also. Goodbye Reign.

• Ray says:

You realize that most of the costumes are not historically accurate on Reign, yes?

• Kathryn Hamby says:

This series has been absolutely addictive. It has been pure pleasure to watch and I will be going thru withdrawals when it’s gone. IN reality, Mary sat in prison many years before Elizabeth kills her. Can’t you take some creative liberties having her escape, thus adding some additional programs? Or maybe Cathryn and Natcisse could continue. After all the name of the show is Reign, not Mary. By the way, the costumes and settings have been wonderful. Music? Not so much. Bring back Bash one more time.

3. haldrey says:

Not good, not good, too many good shows saying goodbye this season while a lot of trash (and maybe low cost) are staying.

4. fernando933 says:

I wish we would have gotten just one more season. I would have like to seen two full seasons of Mary in Scotland

• ninergrl6 says:

IMO season 2 shouldn’t have existed, at least not the way it was written. Ideally (with 4 seasons planned in advance, which wasn’t the case) season 1 could’ve ended with Henry’s death, season 2 could’ve ended with Francis’ death, season 3 could’ve been Mary in Scotland ending with marriage #2, and season 4 could’ve been her pregnancy/the rest of her life in Scotland. Had the writers known the network’s long-term plans for the show, or at least a whole season at a time, the pacing could’ve been better. As it was written, season 2 was kind of a throw away, just an excuse to prolong Frary. I still love the show, and the addition of Elizabeth and the English court in season 3 gave it more dimension, but I would’ve liked to see more Mary in Scotland too.

• Fabrizia says:

I would like to see an historical miniseries about Mary Stuart, with a different cast and without the teenage drama and ridiculos costumes of this show.

5. I’m so addicted to this series. Be so sorry to see it go.
    I think Lord Darnley needs to be killed off. And Mary lose the baby. Marry Lord Bothwell, get pregnant and have an heir right away! A Boy.
    Mary’s brother fall for Greer, settle down.
    Get rid of Charles as the King of France, bring his brother to the throne. Hope ly someone manly and scandalous like the Father, Catherine’s late husband.
    Alas, Mary will have to go at the hand of Elizabeth

6. Joyce High says:

I love the show i got to wait for season 4 to come out on Netflix.

7. ChrisGa says:

I’ll miss this show, particularly my weekly dose of Megan Follows, who’s consistently given one of television’s great, unheralded performances over the last four seasons.

• Jim says:

So true. At times, when the writing got pretty bad and I wanted to stop watching, she was the only thing reeling me in to stick with it. Not that there aren’t some great performances by Adelaide and some of the others, but Megan is just outstanding and on another level.

• James D Thear says:

She sure has !! Deserves an Emmy nomination for sure !!!

8. Joan Stelmaschuk says:

Definitely will miss this show. Never missed an episode. However, knowing the history, l wondered when this would come about. Spectacular sets and costumes. Wish it could have lasted longer.

9. Kristine LeGault says:

This is my favorite show we watched it back to back to back on Netflix before we caught up and now watch it weekly.
    There are so many more storylines that they could use.
    So many Kings and Queens to explore.
    The cast ad costumes are fabulous.
    I am truly sad to lose Reign.

10. Naeemah says:

I know the his of Mary Queen of scouts and Elizabeth from history class, so I know the real ending, but no one wants the real ending that’s why it’s a tv show. You make it your own. No person who love this show will truly get angry, so why end with the real ending. When I watch tv I’m not in history class.

• ninergrl6 says:

There’s a YA novel called My Lady Jane that reimagines some of this 16th century British history with a happier ending. (Elizabeth I & Mary Queen of Scots are supporting characters) It’s great a historical fantasy/comedy/romance, very “Princess Bride” in its tone. I highly recommend it!

11. I am a long time fan of historical drama and avoided this show initially because of the teenage cast but finally gave it a shot on Netflix. I watched season 1 and was pleasantly surprised by the young cast. While I know it has taken some license with the history they have kept to the main incidents in Mary’s life so while I always knew how it would end it was a good ride.

12. Denise C Hall says:

I love the show, good performances ny everyone. We all know what happens to Mary according to history. Can you do something different for Mary in the season finale?

13. James D Thear says:

I love this show and will truly miss it. The actors are wonderful and each episode is exciting and interesting. Good luck to all of you actors and actresses. Wish Reign could air for a few more years !!!!!!

14. Patricia Dunn says:

End it at Darnlys death. Mary lived almost 20 years in London Tower.

15. Sandy says:

Queen Mary deserves to live and get back with lord Blackburn. Darnley needs to lose his head he is rotten to the core

16. B says:

Spin off of Reign, Everybody loves Francis… It might work…lol

17. Keashia says:

No it can’t be over !!! I’m so sad 😭 I love this show, love the actors, the costumes and the story line. I’m so sad it’s over.

18. Tina Mathis says:

I love Reign, it is my favorite movie on CW 33 . Its a wonderful love story. I hated that Francis got sick and died, then bash left. Everything was going fine at first, then people started dying, going mad, I wish they had just left things as they were at the beginning. Now they have cancelled the show. CW 33 is my favorite channel and this is not the first time they have brought good movies on and then take them off. ITS NOT FAIR. One while I had something good to watch ever day in the week. I love science fiction and horrors. One movie they should take off and that Supernatural. I watched it from day 1. I stopped watching it . Got tired of
    It. Gonna miss Reign on friday nights.

19. Angel says:

I absolutely love reign. I have watched every season several times. I get lost in their troubles. It takes me away from everything for a little while. I’m really sad that it’s cancelled. Great job actors and actresses. Wish y’all were staying much longer.

20. sandy scanlon says:

The CW should not have canceled this show.

21. LADYCWEBB11@YAHOO.COM says:

I am hoping that if Mary does lose her head, I want her to see king Francis in the end, somehow! I really miss him and feel that the CW should have taken the many liberties they’ve already taken throughout every season

22. Lana Dodson says:

I will truly miss this series. I have enjoyed it immensely. I wish it could’ve lasted longer.

23. Gordon says:

You rushed this series. After all, Charles was only 10 when Francis died. You chose a talented actor to play Charles but he was far to old to be the boy king of reality. You could have made the series last for far longer had the writers not grown bored and rushed to push years ahead after Francis’ death. You show France and Scottland side by side in the series. Obviously in this final season years have passed since Mary returned to Scotland. Just last season Charles of France still needed a Regeant. Yet we know he reached the age of ascension at 13, yet just This season Henry returns after being a soldier winning the support of Spain. Charles would have only been 17 when Mary was removed from the throne. Henry his younger brother returned when Charles was 19 but yet there is younger than 17 Charles and 15 year old Henry already past that event and Mary still has her throne. The fact is, with 2 episodes left you say Mary will loose her head. But that can’t be unless you time warp because Mary lost her throne. Then Charles died, then Mary was beheaded. That’s an awful lot for 2 episodes. So my prediction is, Mary will advocate and be imprisoned bit NOT be beheaded in the finale.

• This is a TV show for entertainment. It’s not intended as a documentary so if that is what you were looking for then it’s not the show for you. A show like this would have no viewership at all if it progressed at the pace you suggest. As it is, they say the viewership was not enough to keep it going. That’s too bad because many of us loved the show, just as it is.

24. Florine says:

I love this show couldn’t King Francis appear as a ghost to Mary they were The Whole show

25. Janice Reres says:

I love this show. It’s one of my favorites.

26. Ann Williams. says:

I have really liked the show but hope the final episode stays true to history

27. Rhonda says:

There just isn’t anything left to watch anymore. :/
    This was one of the last good ones. And i agree marry doesn’t die for quiet awhile in real life and the show could go on!
    Its fun watching queen Elizabeths Journey and it’s fun watching what’s happening in France. Ugh im super addicted. This bites!

28. D says:

This is an AWESOME show! I don’t want it to end. Why are you ending it now>>

29. Martha says:

I don’t think reign should be cancelled atall . Reign is finally a great shown that don’t have zombies involved. Girls in relife can have a imagination how life was back than for woman. You can keepthis story going. Why get rid of a good show that is getting great ratings. I don’t understand!!

30. Linda D Johnson says:

Are you freaking kidding me?? The show Reign is cancelled. I am sick … done with CW.

31. Linda D Johnson says:

How could you cancel Reign, it is one of the few, very few shows out there with any meat to the story line and such wonderful actors. Amazing. Again, I am just sick about this. The least you could do is a spin off with the same awesome actors.

32. Linda D Johnson says:

Keeping FLASH, LOL and cancelling Reign … like the rest of the world, makes no sense. Flash is not real, like fake news … Reign is the real deal.

33. Marilyn says:

I love Reign but I knew it couldn’t go on knowing the history of the queens but it was so much fun to watch! I love period series!!

34. Joann stinson says:

I think the last episode should start with Mary ‘ s beheading then roll back. Darnley should die at the hands of her brother, in a fire. Bothwell and Mary should marry. Bash should show up and tell Mary her fate. Then enjoy her heavenly life with Francis and their unborn child.

35. Brenda G says:

I love this show and its too bad Mary couldnt of seen her son before they killed her.I wish they would continue with a few more episodes with Mary and her son and the french court

36. Ann Minkoff says:

As usual history for this show, history tells a better take.Elizabeth shelters Mary for two decades she has her own man or with grounds though officially under house arrest. A petition is started. Y Catholics to give her the throne which she did or didn’t sign. Elizabeth is pressured to kill her. The execution is private.The woman supposedly Mary has her small dog at her feet. Now Elizabeth Is well known to have had nightmares of her mother’s beheading, this execution was private. Because it didn’t happen,and conveniently the “supposed” Mary is covered from head to toe.Nevertheless I doubt she reunited with Francis who was 3ft. and three yrs. Younger than her and a very cruel despot. I say she went to Wales with Medici gold. Now on with The Grand Tour of France which Catherine took with Charles kicking nobles out of their palaces to bed their retinue and starting the grand tradition of Comedia dell Arte.Don’t you think Henry was somewhere in the wings saying “If I say it’s the Moon it is the Moon.”?

37. Jennifer says:

I’d one more season of King James’ rule. To see him become king of Scotland and England like Mary wanted really.

38. Carrie says:

Im sorry that last episode was very disappointing, very!! !

39. Shelley says:

Loved this show. Great casting. Period pieces. Something different on TV was a nice change. Sad it’s over.

40. Marianne heffner says:

You guys suck! Your portrayed Mary so powerful, and then humiliated her, your writer could of done great things with this show but you made me feel like I wasted years watching a show where you were going to ultimately make her fail. And for the priest to be the one with all the power. What a stupid storyline.

41. Marianne heffner says:

It truly was one of my favorites and I’m sad to see it go. There were so many options for the show. Sad you didn’t get to presu then.

42. Warz says:

This was an awesome show. I just wish they put more time into building character, storlyline, etc instead of having it all just be about murder….Mary should have lived

43. Patsy Benjamin says:

I want Mary to live by being rescued.

44. Shayla says:

I can’t believe they cancelled such an amazing show!!!!!!!

45. Sarah Porter says:

I am very disappointed in the cancelation of this show. It is the only show my husband and I recorded. And the final show was not what it should have been. We are very upset about this being canceled. We can’t find a show that we like other than reign.

46. Judy Jarvis says:

I am so so sad how the show ended. I can’t quit thinking about it which is really silly. It was my favorite show.

• Ella Hanna says:

I feel the same way. The writers literally killed every character off and ended the show in a fast way.

47. Laura Cotter says:

Such a shame when producers don’t realize what a hit they have made, and plan sometime during the second season, an exciting storyline thru 8 seasons, adding to history when needed, but following history for the most part. Creative License I believe it is called to change what you need to and detract or expand on content. If this does end with being shown Mary’s death, I think that is very poor judgment on the part of writers, etc. These characters, like for instance….those of Downton Abbey, become more than just a story when viewed for many seasons and many episodes, as long as the storyline remains mesmerizing. Writers need to give equal enjoyment to final endings. To do otherwise, is injustice to all the actors and especially faithful viewers …..particularly when you have produced a story that evokes such strong love between characters and between viewer and characters.