Scandal Season Premiere Delayed

Grey's, Scandal and HTGAWM Returns Delayed for Pre-Inauguration Special

ABC is postponing the return of #TGIT — and you have president-elect Donald Trump to thank for it. Sort of.

The network announced on Monday that the premieres of Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder — previously slated for Thursday, Jan. 19 — will now air on Jan. 26, because of a special pre-inauguration installment of 20/20.

America’s First Family: The Trumps Go to Washington will air at 10/9c, following repeats of Grey’s (8 pm) and Scandal (9 pm). The decision was made to ensure that the long-awaited return of #TGIT would feature three new episodes.

Sure, it’s only one more week of waiting, but be honest: On a scale from 1 to 10, how annoyed are you? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Ken says:

That is very F******* ANNOYING. I don’t and won’t watch anything with Cheeto F*** Face and his F****** family.

• Haz says:

Dude take a xanax. Shondas overrated shows will be on the following week. It’s just a TV show, if it’s that big of a deal you should try turning off the TV and go make some real friends!

• Temperance says:

Maybe I’ll stop watching ABC live from now on. If they don’t realize that we need 100% less Trump in the world, then maybe I don’t have to pay their bills.

• Bobbie says:

I agree with Ken on this.

Trump won by losing the popular vote, I will give you that, but I have no interest in seeing the beginning of the epic nepotism that is about to happen. What is this going to show, Ivanka sitting in more meetings with foreign leaders, the fact that he made her husband a senior advisor or Baron being put in charge of Cyber?

Congrats, America, the next four years is going to be “interesting.”

• Bobbie says:

Let me amend that sentence, congrats, America, you elected a Putin puppet to the White House.

Also ^^^*are. Why can’t we edit comments?

• grazelled says:

Please stop saying America voted him in…the majority of us did not! We are Republic. Actually 49% of American voters were idiots who did not vote because they were either protesting for Bernie or too lazy. Trump lost the popular vote by at least 2.5 million votes…giving him those 500k extra votes he says were illegal.

• grazelled says:

Sorry, should say “we are a Representative Republic”

• WeAreInDeepSh*t says:

Let’s put blame where it really belongs. The Koch brothers and other disgustingly rich billionaires spent more money on the election than either of the two major parties. Remember in the fall how political ads were everywhere?? Guess who paid for them?? They have and are buying their way into more and more power. We no longer have a democracy of “one person / one vote”. We have the rich buying candidates to make policies to make them richer. The Republican party does not elect candidates based on the needs of the people; they elect them because there’s an “R” next to the name of the candidate. By making each election more and more divisive, elections totally ignore the needs of the working/middle class. “Us and them” is the name of the game. I’m sure there were plenty of Bernie supporters that didn’t vote, but look instead at the number of people that fall for the ads and, more specifically, exactly what the media wants to show us. The Orange Man was covered 24/7 throughout the campaign. Toss in the lies from the non-stop ads, THAT’s how he won the electoral college vote. Campaigns are never about what the country needs to improve (regardless of that stupid hat!), it’s about putting all the power in the hands of the people that buy/rig the elections.

• Ann says:

You forget that each state is a sovereign state, so Trump technically won the popular vote in 30 states as opposed to Clinton’s 20. So, Clinton actually lost the most popular votes by state. Those are the popular votes that matter. Whether you like it or not, he will be president.

• Bobbie says:

Sovereign state? Ann, go home you’re drunk.

He lost the popular vote and while we fight for other countries to have one person one vote, we don’t enjoy the same right here, mainly because slave states wanted to be able to tip the balance to their favor. The EC was actually designed to prevent a Trump like president and it failed, not that I expected them to do their job.

Where in my post did I say he wasn’t going to president? The second sentences said he won. The stupidity of the American people is why we will have a President Trump and Ann, thank you for making my point.

• Jami says:

You are actually calling that racist idiot Presidential. You are just splitting hairs with the popular vote. I need my tv shows to escape from a country that actually voted this Putin Puppet into office. He can be your President never mine. No I don like it that he is your President, he is an embarrassment.

• E. D. Boddy says:

So? Trump didn’t CAMPAIGN for the popular vote because he was smart enough to know how we elect presidents. If we went by pop. vote, the whole race would have been different.

• Jami says:

LOL. The system failed. It was to keep ignorant folks like you from electing a idiot. You did. Oh and so r he is doing a bang up job of draining that swamp.

• MTB says:

You do know that the popular vote doesn’t matter and it has happened 4 other times right? That is what the electoral vote is for. And they did some uncalled for recounts and embarrassed themselves. So don’t you and Ken be afraid and if you do, there will be some coloring books for you.

• nick says:

Are you irritated that Obama’s on Tuesday night and interrupting TV

• Scott says:

What we know is that you are a foul mouth libera who needs his diaper change and grow up . I know that’s hard for a liberal who all that they do is cry and complain . Get over it Trump won that lying piece of tras did not and that A clown and his family wil be out of the White House and can’t do anymore damage .

• Jami says:

Yeah and Trump supports never say anything disgusting.

• Angela says:

Right, because Trump’s NEVER told a single lie thus far?
        Also, if you want to see a foul-mouthed person who does nothing but cry and complain and acts like they need a diaper change, maybe you should go look at your precious Trump’s Twitter account.

2. TV Fanatic says:

This is so annoying! I need my TGIT series already!

3. Carlie says:

Meh. I only watch greys now…gave up on the other 2. I would give up greys as well…but I just can’t. I’ve stuck with it this long.

• Crys says:

Lol. WHY is that?? I am in the same boat. I quit Scandal half way through last season, never got into HTGAWM (although I’ve ALWAYS LOVED Viola Davis). But I feel like I stuck with Grey’s through the awful “Denny Returns” seasons and after awhile it got really good again. Do you think we are just hoping it gets good again??

• Anne says:

You have to watch Murder if you’re a Viola fan. Frak, the pure talent and skill she exudes every episode…it’s a sight to behold. And she makes everyone bring their a-game; I think there’s only been two of the rest of the cast who have been able to truly bring it over the years

4. Steven says:

The title for that special made me throw up in my mouth.

5. YestoKylie says:

:-(
    We’ve waited long enough…I just want to know who won the election! Is it too much to ask

• Anne says:

A Mellie win opens the most doors for the show, narratively speaking. It gets Liv back in the White House, gives the writers a chance to be really political, and opens up many more story avenues for the main characters. So I predict a Mellie win.

• Scandaljunkie says:

I think Shonda wanted her election win to be the complete opposite of what we anticipated to happen hence why it was to premiere the day before the actual inauguration, so I honestly think that Vargas will win. I think Olivia’s quest for power will blow up in her face and with Fitz out of the White House, Mellie losing and Cyrus having a bone to pick with Liv she will be like a fish out of water because what does she have left other than OPA which she has treated like its just some hobby other than her actual business. I know Cyrus wont be hiring her anytime soon to be apart of the Vargas/Beene administration not with the way she treated him. This should be good.

6. Lisa Echerd says:

I don’t want to watch the actual inauguration and certainly not a special talking about it. Don’t they know they will get far better ratings with these 3 shows. They would probably get better ratings with reruns of these shows that anything about the inauguration.

7. Mantra720 says:

I feel like ABC News won’t get any more of my viewership with that ‘cute’ title of an alleged ‘newsmagazine’. Peter Jennings would literally parade these morons out of his organization if he was still alive.

8. Lisa says:

Ugh, stupid politics, quit messing with our tv schedule.

9. kmw says:

Like ABC couldn’t have put it on another night since ABC is doing so swell most other nights. Sorry that TGIT fans have to wait another week because of our newly elected reality star President.

10. Lianne says:

Oh crap! Thank goodness for In Demand. I can watch something else.

11. meg says:

10/10 annoyed. We shouldn’t have to miss these shows for a whole week just for the orange turd. I won’t be watching anything inauguration related. I’m boycotting tv completely on the 20th. ABC should air this stupid special at the usual 20/20 time on Friday night. What exactly new would anyone learn about a family that cares as little about privacy as the Kardashians. Are they going to delve into any real journalism such as the nepotism aspect of the whole thing? What happened to actual journalism?

12. Pam says:

To say I’m outraged is an understatement. These three shows are probably my favorites on tv and if it’s not bad enough, a Trump special? Won’t be watching. Disgusted by the ABC network right now.

13. Matt C. says:

Why did ABC even bother scheduling their return the night before the inauguration? Like they didn’t know that date in advance *rolls eyes*

14. I’m pretty much at a 15 right now! I want Scandal back!!!! Also, #WhoKilledWes?!

15. Paul says:

Great. Another reason to hate the asshole cheeto in chief, as if I needed another reason to hate a racist bigoted homophobic anti-semite.

16. Marci says:

Ten. I’m going to be seeing enough of that orange-faced waste of human flesh during the next four years.

17. Margie says:

I don’t give a rats ass about doucheface! Gimme my TGIT!

18. Cdeno says:

What I don’t understand is why 3 hours of television USB getting preemptied for a 1 hour special.

Grey’s andScandal still could have aired, HTGAWM only had a few episodes left in the season anyway.

• herman1959 says:

I know, I don’t get it either.

• cuius says:

The clue is in reading the article – “The decision was made to ensure that the long-awaited return of #TGIT would feature three new episodes [of the three different shows]”

• herman1959 says:

Yes, I got that, but what I don’ get is why Shonda/ABC thinks it’s so important.

• Jenna says:

Because HTGAWM is failing and it needs the ratings boast that the premiere of the other new shows will provide, especially Scandal since it’s an election episode.

19. Aeol says:

What a great opportunity for me to discover what’s airing on literally any other channel!

20. Cdeno says:

Does anyone know/remember if ABC did a special the night before Obama had hi inauguration 8 years ago?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

A cursory search suggests no — perhaps because ABC had this airing Inauguration Night?

“President-elect Barack Obama will host the first-ever “Neighborhood Inaugural Ball,” the premiere event of inauguration evening. To help bring this unique event to neighborhoods across the nation, ABC will broadcast “The Neighborhood Ball: An Inauguration Celebration,” giving everyone an exclusive look inside this historic event that will include the President and First Lady’s first dance of the night, President-elect Obama’s initial speech of the evening, and performances and appearances by some of the nation’s top recording artists and stars. “

• Cdeno says:

Thanks for the help. Makes it even more interesting that ABC would change that. Oh well nothing we can do about it.

21. Caroline says:

I am surprised that ABC is screwing themselves over for the Cheeto Family Special. Are they trying to sell these “people” as our new royalty or something? I guess they will get their TGIT block ratings the week after, but why promo the hell out of it only to change? Did they think the inauguration wasn’t going to come off and the Apocolypse was going to take us in the meantime? C’mon.

22. Rose says:

I don’t know if everyone is mockingly upset or actually upset, but if it’s the latter I’m quite intrigued. You people do know that regularly scheduled broadcast programming has been shifted and preempted because of presidential television events for years, right? This has been happening since presidents figured out they could be on TV. To be honest, I have probably seen more presidential appearances in the past eight years than I have in years before. I don’t know if that has to do with the campaign being more media friendly or for some other reason; I would actually appreciate it if someone could give a thorough answer to that. Anyway, point is the president will continue to be on TV whether you like who’s elected or not.
    Furthermore, I don’t know why the angry people are yelling about Trump when 20/20 is the one airing the event. It’s the same way CBS aired that special with Oprah and Mrs. Obama. If it were the type of broadcast that spanned several channels (like most presidential events do), then I could understand. But it’s an ABC show preempting the lineup. Yell at ABC guys.

• Aeol says:

Why would you promote your biggest block of shows, for WEEKS, including one that’s returning after a months-long hiatus, only to pull them a week in advance for a happy-go-lucky special about the most unpopular incoming president in history, on a date we’ve all known has been coming? It’s not like this is the first time an inauguration has been held on January 20th. Maybe we’re all a little upset that life with Tump means we can’t even escape from reality with some tv drama. He ruins everything. I’ll watch the Obama special on Thursday, but “the tumps go to Washington” is a hard pass.

• :-) says:

For many of us it has less to do with who the president is and more to do with we are loyal fans of the #TGIT block in a time of instant gratification that are being denied something we have been anticipating due to the heavy promotion by ABC

• a non ny mouse says:

wow – someone with a brain

• Vanessa says:

The reason people are annoyed is quite clear, they planned and promoted the return of these shows, one of which is a season premiere, only to pull it for a special that they could’ve found a different spot for.

23. Pedro says:

Ellen Pompeo looks like she is really glad the other women didn’t notice her fart on the cover picture.

24. Jj says:

Did they not know an inauguration was happening? Why delay a strongly promoted premiere night at the last minute? The Fuhrer must have insisted on this piece of propaganda. The first of many such specials I’m sure.

25. I'm Batman says:

BRAVO to ABC for scheduling such an uplifting report on our nation’s incoming First Family.

Too bad Obama can’t leave 12 days early and let President Trump make America Great Again!

• DS says:

It will be in the toilet for the next four years, I can’t wait to say to all the orange man voters “I told you so”

• Mary says:

Boy it doesn’t take much to amuse the minions does it. I can see you are excited about the TV Reality host being on the screen. I bet the Kardashians is your favorite show now that he left.

• Natalie says:

You/re dreaming which is pretty obvious by your posting name.

26. H.H. says:

And now begins the sarcastic “Thanks Trump” to replace “Thanks Obama”

27. Larc says:

Won’t the inauguration of President Thump be torture enough?

28. parstl says:

Great. More incentive to go to the gym instead of vegging out in front of the tv. Thanks Don and ABC.

29. ABC is on crack if they think this stupid special is going to get better ratings. Not to mention that not all the Trumps are actually going to Washington.

• Mary says:

Well they might as well be because you will see their net worth going up thanks to the guy. Remember back in December he was going to present how he will handle the situation and prove that their will be no conflict of interest, another lie, and now he has put his son in law in a position. Oh but his minions don’t see anything wrong with it.

• There are *lots* of things we said he was going to do and now says something different. But you won’t hear the suckers who voted for him admit that he’s full of $h!t. They’re too busy making excuses and trying to figure out how to blame Hillary and Obama for the next 4 years too.

30. sandra says:

I´m not sure if I should cry or drink Vodka like Annalise. Probably both tbh.

31. Anne says:

Well, there he goes, already ruining my life. Taking my Shondaland away.

32. nick says:

I don’t watch the president’s last beach I don’t watch presidents and inaugeration ever. But it’s no different than Tuesday night when Obama gives his last message no different

• DS says:

I’ll be watching Obama’s speach

• Katherine215 says:

I’m never clear why some Americans proudly boast that they don’t follow politics or listen to the presidents’ speeches. You’re proud of the fact that you’re uninformed and oblivious to the world around you? And you want to tell people this?

• Mary says:

Great statement agree 100%. But I will bet you money many are the first to criticize and state their opinions whether they are inform or not.

33. Dannie C says:

Ugh. I’ve been really patient waiting for HTGAWM But now have non,just when I thought there wasn’t light at the end of the tunnel

34. Tom says:

Trump’s going to Morton’s salt out of business with all you commenters acting like this anytime he is even mentioned.

35. ChicagoDan says:

Your headline is both inflammatory and inaccurate. ABC had decided to create and air this special – NOT Trump. Additionally, not only is Inauguration Day set in stone, but also the election was over before ABC set return of TGIT. This is just poor planning by ABC – as if they wouldn’t have done a similar special on Clinton. Curious why they’re airing Match Game on Wed at 10 – this special would work well. It’s not like it’s airing on Inauguration Day anyway.

36. DarkDefender says:

On a scale of 1-10? 65 million.

37. singsongsoy says:

So, ABC is taking this chance to introduce their fans to try to normalize the Trump dynasty? Umm NO, we see through this ruse. Ratings will plunge. Few are interested in anything the orange blob buffoon says nor his king’s court.

38. Um, that would have happened if Clinton won too.

39. I won’t be watching this anymore than I will the inauguration. I don’t want to participate in any manner in this very dark, scary time in our history. God (or someone) help us all.

40. Natalie says:

Just one more reason to dislike the guy.

41. It begins. I have no president for the next 4 years and he is disrupting things already. Good old media making a big deal about a monster. I guess I will watch CBS shows that night or Netflix

• Mary says:

I have taped several so I can avoid anything that he will be on. But I guess it will also give me time to check another network out and see what they have to offer. Who knows maybe something will catch my eye and I will do a switch.

42. Pedro says:

Trump already ruining our lives.

43. pickles says:

Greys is famous for people yelling at someone then walking off so they should all be Trump supporters.I used t watch it years ago but this method of acting and writing started to get old for me.

44. Judiwb says:

I don’t care about Trump’s Family. We know enough. Rather see me TGIT!!

45. Jennifer says:

Here’s a question for all the hypocritical liberal crap out there. If this were OBAMA instead of Trump, there would be no complaints, only “all hail!!!” I’m sick of the hypocrisy. Don’t get me wrong, i’m no fan of Trump, but whether you like it or not, he IS the president elect. He DOES deserve respect. I did NOT like Obama. Never voted for him. But I do give him the respect that he deserves. And if not him, at least the office.

Liberals – get over it. You lost. You don’t like it, do something about it in four years.

• E. D. Boddy says:

Exactly. They’d be doing this no matter who the new president is. I’m just surprised they didn’t take that into consideration when setting the return dates in the first place.

• Pedro says:

People earn respect. Trump hasn’t.

Obama would never need a “Obamas Go To Hollywood” special, as if they were the Brady Brunch.

• Jennifer says:

As I said, even if Trump doesn’t deserve the respect, the OFFICE does

• Mary says:

You do realize that is is possible to respect the office but not the man in it. Respect is earned not a given. I was willing to give him a chance but since the election with some of his cabinet picks and twitter rants all bets are off. He now has to prove he is worthy of that position, time will tell but I won’t hold my breath. Trump should follow the quote
          “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak out and remove all doubt.
          Also this one is for all who thinks we should just get over it, “To remain silent when one should protest, makes cowards of men”. My favorite is “you can tell greatness of a man by what makes him angry”. In case you are wondering 16th President of the United States, Abe Lincoln.

46. herman1959 says:

I can’t wait to see the ratings for this one.

47. Deb Saine says:

my annoyance is off the charts! i have no desire to watch a special flouting humpty trumpty and his minions … i mean, we’re stuck with the guy for four years, what’s so special about that?

48. mia says:

I am a little annoyed… I have been looking forward to HTGAWM midseason premiere since the winter finale….. I GUESS waiting one more week isn’t so bad… Just really want to know #WhoKilledWes….

49. Micca says: