The 2017 Golden Globe nominations were, as per usual, a mixed bag. For every inspired nod (congrats, Chrissy Metz!) there was one that had me scratching the skin off my scalp (nothing for Lauren Graham?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.
I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* FX’s Atlanta sneaking into the best comedy race. Ditto its star Donald Glover.
* This Is Us getting a best drama nod, and actresses Mandy Moore and Chrissy Metz making the supporting-actress cut.
* Crazy Ex-Girlfriend‘s Rachel Bloom and Jane the Virgin‘s Gina Rodriguez in the running once again.
* All the love for ABC’s two best series, black-ish and American Crime.
* Winona Ryder for Stranger Things sneaking in. Also: The series itself getting a drama nod.
* Keri Russell! Matthew Rhys!
* HBO’s The Night Of getting a limited-series nod.
* Westworld‘s Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton getting recognized for their standout Season 1 work.
I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* The Globes’ infuriating tradition of lumping every single genre in the supporting acting races. Enough. (Yes, I copied and pasted this directly from last year’s Snappy Js. And I will continue to do so until something changes.)
* Nick Nolte for Graves?!
I’m Super-Pissed About:
* Nada for Broad City. Ditto Difficult People. And Casual.
* Zilch for Sam Heughan?
* Because it bears repeating, the lack of love for Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, especially Lauren Graham.
* The omission of Bates Motel‘s Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore.
* The men of This Is Us getting completely and inexplicably shut out. (At least Sterling K. Brown was recognized for The People v. O.J.)
* Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt getting bupkis.
* Nada for Fox’s underrated Last Man on Earth and star Will Forte.
Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.