He played a legendary knight on Game of Thrones; now he’ll play Superman’s ancestor.
Ian McElhinney has joined the cast of Syfy’s upcoming Superman prequel Krypton as a series regular, along with five other actors, the network announced on Monday. McElhinney will play Val-El, the grandfather of Seg-El (Cameron Cuffe), the lead character who happens to be Superman’s grandfather. Val-El is a genius fascinated by space exploration — and is convinced his home planet of Krypton is in dire trouble.
McElhinney is best known for playing famed swordsman Ser Barristan Selmy on HBO’s Game of Thrones. A Targaryen loyalist who served Daenerys in Meereen, “Barristan the Bold” died in Season 5 during a siege by the Sons of the Harpy. McElhinney also recently appeared on Netflix’s The Fall and BBC America’s Ripper Street.
As for the five other Krypton cast additions:
* Elliot Cowen (Da Vinci’s Demons) will play chief magistrate Daron Vex.
* Ann Ogombo (World War Z) will play Primus Alura Zod, the mother of Seg-El’s love interest Lyta Zod (Georgina Campbell).
* Rasmus Hardiker (Black Mirror) will play engineer Kem, Seg-El’s best friend.
* Wallis Day (The Royals) will play Daron’s daughter Nyssa Vex.
* Aaron Pierre (the upcoming Prime Suspect prequel Tennison) will play cadet Dev-Em.
Syfy has ordered a pilot for Krypton, but no premiere date has been set.
Does McElhinney look like he shares a bloodline with Superman? Weigh in on all the Krypton casting in the comments.