CSI worlds collide once again this Sunday (CBS, 10/9c) when Ted Danson’s D.B. Russell joins the cast of CSI: Cyber, and TVLine has an exclusive first look at his reunion with Patricia Arquette’s Avery Ryan.
“Avery’s definitely still the head of the department, so there’s no conflict there,” showrunner Pam Veasey tells TVLine. “They have that same wonderful dynamic we first saw in the backdoor pilot on CSI.”
But it sounds like Avery won’t be the only woman in D.B.’s life for much longer.
“Nelson decides he’s going to help D.B. date in Washington,” Veasey teases. “He introduces D.B., the old-fashioned guy who still walks up to people and says ‘Hello,’ to the world of dating apps.”
Below, Veasey drops six more hints about what’s to come for the Cyber team in Season 2:
* “Nothing is off-limits” in terms of what can be hacked this season, Veasey explains, offering up “basketballs, pacifiers, plants, keychains, even roaches” as examples. “We’ve even gone to sexual toys!”
* Last year, Avery was driven to find out who hacked her practice; this year, her drive is to chase one of the most notorious hackers in the world, known as “Python.”
* Veasey teases a “fun reveal of a new relationship within our team” during the premiere.
* The premiere also provides closure to last season’s arc about the man who killed Krumitz’s parents. Reveals Veasey, “We immediately close that idea and solve the court case.”
* Season 2 will reveal new details about the death of Avery’s daughter, and the show will periodically check in on her ex-husband.
* Nelson’s origin story will be explored, revealing how he got started and what initially landed him in trouble.
Hit PLAY on the preview clip above, then drop a comment below: What do you hope to see in Cyber‘s second season?