Mr. Robinson Cancelled, Carmichael Show Renewed for Season 2 at NBC

School’s out for summer forever for NBC’s Mr. Robinson.

The Peacock net has pulled the plug on funnyman Craig Robinson’s sitcom about a substitute teacher with dreams of music stardom, TVLine had confirmed.

At the same time, the network has ordered a second season of The Carmichael Show, which, like Mr. Robinson, aired its freshman season as part of NBC’s summer 2015 lineup.

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the news.

Mr. Robinson ended its six-episode run in August with back-to-back installments that drew 4.2 million total viewers and a 1.0 rating, followed by 3.4 mil and a 0.9, hitting series lows on both counts.

A week later, The Carmichael Show — a family sitcom starring Jerrod Carmichael, Loretta Devine and David Alan Grier — premiered to 4.8 million total viewers — the most watched summer comedy debut since June 2007 — and a 1.1 rating, within a tenth in the demo of Mr. Robinson’s best-since-2009 summer comedy premiere number.

Carmichael ended its run last week with a double shot of 4.7 mil/1.0, 3.9 mil/0.9.

Sad about Mr. Robinson‘s cancellation? Excited for Season 2 of The Carmichael Show? Share your emotional state in the comments!

1. Guest says:

I’m not surprised. I caught a few minutes of it and saw his class doing a rendition of Uptown Funk, and I actually felt secondhand embarrassment.

• Patrick says:

That secondhand embarrassment, and forced awkwardness that the Office relied upon can get real old, real quick, if its not done PERFECTLY. And this show didn’t do it well.

2. Mr. Tran K says:

The Carmichael Show deserves to get renewed but I felt really sad about the cancellation of Mr. Robinson and the sitcom starring Craig Robinson gave it their best.

3. matty says:

I am very glad to see Carmichael has been renewed, it has a lot of potential.

4. HAP says:

Craig Robinson is not made of the stuff that can carry a show. He’s a decent ensemble player. It was doomed from the start.

5. nhogan47 says:

I know you’re mad, Jake, but you gotta get your own

6. Lyn says:

I so wanted to enjoy Carmichael, but find it too preachy about equality. IMO it’s thinly disguised rhetoric.

7. Guy says:

I like Craig Robinson, but he’s better suited to a smaller role in an ensemble as opposed to a lead starring role. Even when they gave him a larger role in the last few seasons of The Office, I thought it was a bit too much of him.

8. steven says:

Mr. Robinson’s ratings were lower than you will know. Whoa Whoa Whoa.

9. T.W.123 says:

I’m excited about Charmichael Show! I binged it last weekend and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I was under the impression that it did poorly in the ratings, so I’m happy for this turn of action.

10. Rich says:

I’m guessing this means Carmichael was cheaper to produce since the ratings were virtually identical.

• Annie says:

The Carmichael show had more critical praise. People tended to say that it needs work, but it has a lot of potential.

• Guy says:

Possible. Or it’s possible they only had space to renew one of them, and since they had similar ratings, they went with the one that had far better reviews and was just an all-around better sitcom.

• Patrick says:

Craig Robinson had several “name” actors/actresses. They had to cost a lot more than Carmichael’s cast.

11. Rich says:

Also, any showed called Carmichael that doesn’t have Zachary Levi in it is not worth watching.

12. Jules says:

Craig Robinson is amazing, but this sitcom was simply blah. I Could not even make it to the end of the 1st episode. I wish he could recur more on Brooklyn 99 though as the Pontiac Bandit

13. Jared says:

I like Craig Robinson..in an ensemble. His comedic schtick can get old real fast.

14. Maryann says:

I just found out about Mr. Robinson a couple of days ago and was going to check it out. I heard about it a year ago, but did not know it had started. I think the biggest problem here is the LATE summer start and the lack of publicity.

15. B says:

happy for the carmichael show! I caught a couple episodes and was pleasantly surprised that a freshman sitcom was tackling some pretty heavy subject matter

16. Ram510 says:

Carmichael Show was a pleasant surprise and was a fun show that took on serious content but was actually funny. It has a lot of potential.
    Mr. Robinson had no potential and had cast members that were already series regulars on other show (Megan Goode). It seemed a renewal was a long shot for Mr. Robinson even with decent numbers

17. Clandestine Green says:

I wanted to like The Carmichael Show, but, outside of David Alan Grier and Loretta Devine, the cast is dismal.

18. Bigdede says:

I’m so happy about the Carmichael show. It is so funny. David Alan Grier and Loretta Divine have me in tears. Craig Robinson show just wasn’t funny. The writing was awful and I found it hard to believe Craig went to school with Megan Good character. He looked about 15 years older than her.

19. Avis says:

I really liked both shows. I wish they would give Mr Robinson a chance. We already don’t have real sitcoms on TV anymore and not to mention very few African American base.

20. Eve says:

Good riddance, Mr. Robinson was awful, unfunny, and downright cringeworthy.

21. didi says:

Thank you for putting the canmicheals. Back on. Love the show. It’s funny but in a good way. We need more people of color on for our generation. It really a funny show thank you again looking forward to seeing it

22. Jones says:

The Carmichael show is hilarious, while hitting on some important topics! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep this show!! It’s one everyone should watch. White, black, Asian, Hispanic….excellent actors, I mean LORETTA DEVINE? Wow. The others are good too. Especially, the skinny, cute lead writer.

23. Marva McGee says:

I want to know when the Carmichael show is going to return ? Can anyone tell me? Please !!!!

24. Tiara says:

I really like mr Robinson and on top of that he was my music teacher in grammar school and he left to persure his career of comedian/actor/Musician it wa great to see him playing a Role of music teacher because he was once before… I don’t think the show was that bad at all I loved it from the first one to the last I’m so upset that the show is continuing ppl nowadays only want to see a bunch of drama a fake reality show but anywho! I love Craig Robinson! Great to see you actually go and do what u wanted!

25. Tiara says:

I really liked mr Robinson and on top of that he was my music teacher in grammar school and he left to persure his career of comedian/actor/Musician it wa great to see him playing a Role of music teacher because he was once before… I don’t think the show was that bad at all I loved it from the first one to the last I’m so upset that the show isn’t continuing ppl nowadays only want to see a bunch of drama a fake reality shows but anywho! I love Craig Robinson! Great to see you actually go and do what u wanted!

26. Jimbob says:

Craig Robinson isnt even funny, Those awful Walmart Christmas commercials, Very Over rated.. That ship has sailed …

27. Diggity says:

Booooo! Why did they cancel it? I liked and thought it was funny. I watched the Carmichael show and was rooting for but I didn’t like and probably will not ever watch it again. Please give Craig another show soon!

28. Mrs. Kelvin Richardsom says:

I rather see Mr. Robinson because that show is funny. Carmichael show is not bring back Mr. Robinson show, please.