The Lizzie Borden Chronicles Not Returning for Season 2

Lizzie Borden Chronicles Cancelled

Lifetime is officially giving Lizzie Borden the ax; the Christina Ricci-led drama will not return for a second season, TVLine has confirmed.

Originally billed as a limited series, The Lizzie Borden Chronicles — which starred Ricci as the real-life historical figure, acquitted of murder in 1892 — ran for eight episodes earlier this year. Chronicles was a spinoff of the Lifetime original movie Lizzie Borden Took an Ax, which centered around the titular character’s murder trial.

But don’t worry about Ricci finding her next gig; as TVLine exclusively reported earlier this week, she’s starring in the Amazon drama pilot Z, in which she’ll portray celebrated American novelist Zelda Fitzgerald.

Are you bummed by this news, or did you not expect to see more of Borden’s (mis)adventures? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. alistaircrane says:

I liked the show, and I think they took the concept as far as they could. I actually thought the sixth episode was the series finale and was surprised to learn Lifetime had ordered two additional episodes. Those two episodes felt like a condensed version of what could have been a second season. Anyway, I enjoyed the show and am now looking forward to Christina Ricci’s new series.

• Mary Ann says:

I agree with you. I enjoyed the show, but there was really no place left for it to go.

• Danny says:

This show would have killed on Netflix. Never heard of it until it showed up on Netflix feed. Now 8 hours later (watched it one sitting) I’m bummed to find out its cancelled. I’ve had a crush on Ricci since “Now and Then” (we’re the same age) and so I am happy to see her out and acting again. Thanks for the info on her coming series, I will kept an eye out for it.

• Vicky says:

I live in Fall River Massachusetts I have been here my whole life. I loved this show!!!!! As did everyone I know we are sad to see it go they could have taken this show much more than they did. Till her death. This little town is only known for her. Tho they could have come down here and looked at the houses before they protraid what they looked like

2. BTM says:

Honestly, I have no desire to watch anything that can really be described as a prequel. No matter what happens, you know those parents are getting chopped up.

Young Anakin Skywalker had no appeal because I knew he would become a rotter. Gotham, Bates Motel, Hannibal… No rooting value is available, even for Jim Gordon.

3. Andrew says:

I only watched a few episodes, but—overall—I was impressed by the production value and the the cast, which had some well-known names.

However, I’m not surprised by this. I mean, how many times can you watch somebody kill someone else and get away with it? A second season would’ve probably been more of the same.

• Conrad says:

Apparently we never watched the Number #1 series Dexter…did we? Lol!

• Shai says:

Well you do have a good point the fact of the matter is that even though it’s a fictional story line, it still takes place in the 1800’s making some tools used today to pinpoint murder suspect, kinda obsolete. I mean it’s kind of no wonder why she was able to get away with it in that setting.

4. Dean says:

Shame the franchise wasn’t breaking bad but it still had its moments, but given it is Lifetime I’m not entirely surprised.

5. lolo says:

Well even if it did return they’d most likely have to find a brand new place to shoot it, which would be more work then it’s worth? because of the tax cuts in the Canadian province it’s filmed in. #NSFilmJobs

• Kim McCall says:

Sadly you are right about that Lolo! We got majorly “axed” here in Nova Scotia by the n.s. film tax credit cuts! (pun intended)

6. Kati says:

I am bummed. I was hoping it would return. The cast was outstanding.

• Mary says:

I am bummed also. I thought the show and cast were excellent! I hope Lifetime
      reconsiders

• Lana says:

I am upset that it won’t be returning for a second season I really enjoyed the show. They should do what happened before the murders and show why Lizzie wanted to murder her parents in the first place.

7. Ken says:

While I look forward to the Amazon pilot, I wouldn’t describe Zelda Fitzgerald as a “celebrated” novelist. She only published one novel. It received mostly negative reviews and was considered a failure.

8. Bradster says:

Ricci has the worst luck when it comes to TV shows where she is the lead. Which is astonishing to me. She is awesome

9. Dude says:

I didnt even know this aired…

10. beth says:

I’m bummed. I can’t seem to find the episode capsize on demand. I want to know how it ends.

• lizziefan says:

It’s on Netflix the entire season

• Tammi says:

If you do not have netflix it is also on the website couchtuner.at you just go there type at the top of the page the show, it brings it up, click on it, then pick the episode, and then pick a domain to watch it in, let it buffer and watch

11. Lizo says:

I really enjoyed it, sad to see it not returning. This and Witches of East End are starting to make me not love lifetime.

12. I loved Lizzie Borden chronicles and I am very disappointed.

13. spick says:

That sux. It was a pretty good show. At least they could bring a second season they didn’t even give it a chance. She could have made it one more at least. O well….

14. Jaclyn says:

Lizzie Borden was a good show. Too bad it’s being cancele .

15. Flo says:

I was so looking forward to the 2nd season

16. ramona slaughter says:

I’m soooooo upset with whom made that decision. I was looking forward to seeing season 2. I go back time to time to watch season 1. I’m am truly disappointed with the decision.

17. Bob Backus says:

Granted I only watched the first two episodes but the show was horrible. The director acted like it was the first thing he did out of film school and instead of having a script and the actors provide the strength of the show, it was him practically screaming LOOK at what I can do! Look at my camera angles, look I can use quick cuts to add to the dramatic tension (since after all the script and the actors aren’t doing it). Look at me! Look at me! Look at me! Which really is surprising because this isn’t the 1st thing he’d done. The music, although you might like the songs, were stupid in this story, also. It was a real crapfest. The director or producers should have demanded better scripts because the actors in it could have done much better than they were directed. The two leads can actually act- LET THEM.

• EvMac says:

I agree on the last part but the first part I don’t, but hey, that’s your opinion and if you don’t have an opinion then you’re wasting your voice. #IRepectThat

• Francis Sambrick says:

I’m sorry, but your comment makes you sound like a pretentious douchebag. I went to film school, and I feel like most of what you wrote makes very little sense. I don’t think u have a completely accurate idea of what each job in the production of the show actually does. And also, I really simply just disagree with your entire opinion.

• Caroline Cowart says:

The shoe was very good m the first thing u should have learned in film sho is to give the people what they want n I wanted another season of this show. I’m so sick n tired of these reality shows that den to go on and on but a good show like this can’t last two seasons. Some needs to be fired

• Cindy Shirley says:

Apparently u didn’t grasp the concept of the show or misunderstood the history and the basis of it. The show was well written , exciting and suspenseful
      I don’t know what u were watching, we’re Talking about The Lizzy Borden chronicles.

18. CMarie says:

I hope she finally finds something that will do her acting justice and stick around longer for one season. I for one (and probably the only one) loved her in PanAm and was bummed when they cancelled that.

• Jessie says:

That was a god show I forgot all about panam!

• Sheri Pardue says:

Oh, gosh, yes!!! She was amazing in that show and I loved it! I just now, not even an hour ago, finished watching the whole season on Netflix and loved it. I am almost in tears that Lizzie Borden Chronicles will not be returning. They could have done a whole season of how she wreaks havoc in Paris. I truly love this show!!!!

19. Jane says:

I LOVED Lizzie! I’m so disappointed that it’s not returning. :(

20. Misty says:

I really enjoyed learning about Lizzie from that show! It was my highlight of Sunday night! Really upset it is cancelled.

21. carol says:

Lifetime apparently doesnt know a good thing when it see ‘s it. I loved this show guess we will have to wait for the dvd of season one to come out.they already have it at Netflix,

22. lovlyree says:

I really liked the show and was hoping it would come back.!!!!!

23. Kristen says:

I’m glad that the show was cancelled, not because of Christina’s acting, which I don’t mind, but because I don’t like the content of the series. I feel uncomfortable knowing that LMN was making Christina’s character, Lizzie (who in real life is my 26th cousin 7 times), kill more people. I get it that it’s supposed to be historical fiction, but I didn’t like what I was seeing.

• Christina Parker says:

and you probably don’t let your kids watch bugs bunny cartoons because they’re “too violent”…..

• Amanda says:

So your ax murdering cousin, 7 times over, killed more people in a fictional remake and that upsets you? Don’t watch it then. Based on real events lets people know that’s not what really happened. This was your excuse to say “look at me, that’s my cousin!”.

24. Angela says:

This makes me sad, I liked Lizzie! Great show!

25. Kelly says:

Bring it back!

26. Monti says:

I am absolutely bummed about the Lizzie Borden Chronicles not coming back. I felt that it added something different to lifetime and I tuned in to watch it every Sunday. It gave me something to look forward to and I haven’t felt that way about a television series on Lifetime since horror stories 2nd season. I plan on doing a petition to bring it back seeing that I know I can’t be the only one feeling a void in life because of the discontinuation of Lizzie Borden.

27. Anna says:

I am shocked, I really liked the show.the last eposide left us all waiting to see what happens next. I think they could of came up with a few more ideas for season 2.Thats how some TV shows end is with a second season to wrap everything up.

28. Rachael Akers says:

I really liked the Lizzie Borden Chronicles I was hoping to see a second season

29. erica says:

I like it bring back

30. Deborah milligan says:

OMG I loved this show so much the only show that could pull me away
    from the ID channel I loved lizzy outwit ting everybody plus the whole time period loved ya christina

31. Lizzy Borden chronicles says:

We loved the show loved forward to it returning very disappointed that we will not be seeing anymore of it.

32. Anna says:

EVERY ONE PLEASE SIGN MY PETITION TO KEEP THE LIZZIE BORDEN CHRONICLES!!!! ITS SUPER FAST AND FREE!!! THANK YOU!!

• joe troia says:

It’s Lifetime that should get axed since they can’t recognize a winner
      when they have one. Cheers to Christina and the rest of the cast.
      A great production. Well done!

• joe troia says:

how do I sign the petition?

• Heather Vineyard says:

I would sign the petition. My mom and I watched this show and are very disappointed that it won’t be back on. Maybe another network like A&E will take over the show and continue it, as long as they do it right.

• Angel Ray says:

I was saying the same thing to my husband…looked forward to it every week…loved it…and they couldve went further for real…they done a really good job with the story and I love christina ricci…I will sign the petition for sure.just let me know how to do it…and I will in a second..that was an awesome show…

33. kathi says:

i hate that lizzy borden will not be returning. i looked forward to each and every show-it kept on the edge of my seat. i wish that the station would reconsider cancelling this show and give it another try.

34. Laura k says:

I really enjoyed watching Lizzie. It was very entertaining for the entire family. We would like It be brought to a conclusion.Thank You

35. peggy hess says:

Loved the show! Rici was amazing!!!

36. karen says:

I loved it and wanted a new season

37. Tommy Woodward says:

I, for one, am very happy the show was cancelled, it was a joke, there was very little about the show that was accurate about Lizzie, not only factual but in line with that we know about her character. Granted this was suppose to be theorizing and a view as to what Lizzie’s life was like after the murder, but nothing about it is even remotely close to what we know her life was like after her she was found not guilty. Her shoplifting in 1897 is not even mentioned. Real life characters are introduced, people who really did live and were a part of Lizzie’s life like Nance O’Neal, but she is murdered by Lizzie in the series when in fact, O Neal died almost twenty years after Lizzie Borden. The series was a complete joke, and a sick on at that. I do think some of the lead actors and actresses are capable in their field and could have created something memorable, but this let us make it up as we go along nonsense doomed that possibility from the start. Whether you thought Lizzie was guilty or innocent this series was stinking garbage.

38. Geeno says:

I really liked the show, I was bummed to find out it was canceled. Who knows since she was heading out to Paris, there will be a spinoff show as she continues a killing spree there.

39. Julie says:

I’m so bummed about this show not returning for the 2nd season.. I really looked forward to catching it once a week on on demand! I chose the day to have a little me time when my little ones were napping…. This show was one definitely one of my favorites!

40. Linda Pierce says:

Lifetime continues to cancel a series without ending the story. It’s like reading 1/2 a book and realizing the last chapters are ripped out. I’m going to quit watching anything new they produce.

41. laraine says:

I loved that show, Christina Ricci is fabulous in that role. PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!!

42. Beeca says:

I am disappointed 😞 I love the Lizzie Borden chronicles, I was hoping to see at least one more season, Christina Richie played the perfect role.

43. Ashleigh Elizabeth says:

I can not believe you have given Lizzy the axe. I truly loved this show. Each week when the show was over I could not wait for the next one. My husband even started watching it with me. today I was looking it up for when season 2 would be returning. I am very disappointed about this. I do hope you will reconsider.

44. Ashleigh Elizabeth says:

Sorry Vickie I meant Fall River……

45. Toots says:

She was headed to France…could have shaken things up there….LOVED the show, sorry won’t be returning.

46. David Scott Lane says:

Loved the show. Bummed it wont be returning.

47. jp says:

My husband and myself are totally bummed. We are huge history fans and absolutely loved this show and really looking forward to another season. We are very upset :(

48. Tonya says:

I’m SUPERRRRRRRRRRRRRR PISSED OFFFFFFFFFFFF… I LOVE THE LIZZY BORDEN CHRONICLES.. I WAS PATIENTLYYYYY WAITING FOR SEASON 2.. IM SO DISAPPOINTED TO HEAR ABOUT THIS.. BUT WHYYYYY!!!!! WHAT IS THE REASON SHE WONT BE BACK FOR SEASON 2

49. robyn says:

I enjoyed the show, an of course I am disappointed Lizzie will no longer continue.

50. Bernadette Walton says:

I am totally bummed by this ….I wanted more, more, more….