Critics' Choice Television Awards: HBO, Better Call Saul, Taraji P. Henson and Amy Schumer Among Big Winners

Critics Choice Television Awards Winners

The fifth annual Critics’ Choice Television Awards were handed out Sunday evening at the Beverly Hilton, and HBO was the winningest network with a total of seven prizes, including three for its Olive Kitteridge miniseries.

FX amassed four wins, while AMC, Amazon, Fox and Comedy Central picked up two apiece.

In addition to Olive Kitteridge, other shows scoring multiple wins were Silicon Valley, Better Call Saul and Transparent.

Among the more notable first-time winners, Empire‘s Taraji P. Henson came out on top in the drama actress race, while Comedy Central’s Amy Schumer bested a tough crowd to be named Best Actress in a Comedy.

Here is the complete list of winners. Share your raves (and rants) in Comments below.

BEST DRAMA SERIES

BessieWINNER
Killing Jesus
Nightingale
A Poet in New York
Stockholm, Pennsylvania

BEST ACTOR IN A MOVIE OR LIMITED SERIES
David Oyelowo, NightingaleWINNER (not presented on-air)
James Nesbitt, The Missing
Kiefer Sutherland, 24: Live Another Day
Mark Rylance, Wolf Hall
Michael Gambon, The Casual Vacancy
Richard Jenkins, Olive Kitteridge

BEST ACTRESS IN A MOVIE OR LIMITED SERIES
Aunjanue Ellis, The Book of Negroes
Felicity Huffman, American Crime
Frances McDormand, Olive KitteridgeWINNER
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Freak Show
Maggie Gyllenhaal, The Honorable Woman
Queen Latifah, Bessie

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A MOVIE OR LIMITED SERIES
Bill Murray, Olive KitteridgeWINNER (not presented on-air)
Cory Michael Smith, Olive Kitteridge
Elvis Nolasco, American Crime
Finn Wittrock, American Horror Story: Freak Show
Jason Isaacs, Stockholm, Pennsylvania
Jonathan Pryce, Wolf Hall

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A MOVIE OR LIMITED SERIES
Claire Foy, Wolf Hall
Cynthia Nixon, Stockholm, Pennsylvania
Janet McTeer, The Honorable Woman
Khandi Alexander, Bessie
Mo’Nique, Bessie
Sarah Paulson, American Horror Story: Freak Show — WINNER (announced during pre-show)

BEST REALITY SERIES

Betty White, Betty White’s Off Their Rockers
Cat Deeley, So You Think You Can DanceWINNER
James Lipton, Inside the Actors Studio
Phil Keoghan, The Amazing Race
Tom Bergeron, Dancing With the Stars

BEST TALK SHOW
The Daily Show with Jon StewartWINNER (announced during pre-show)
The Graham Norton Show
Jimmy Kimmel Live
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
The Late Late Show with James Corden
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

BEST ANIMATED SERIES
ArcherWINNER (announced during pre-show)
Bob’s Burgers
Gravity Falls
The Simpsons
South Park
Star Wars: Rebels

LOUIS XIII GENIUS AWARD WINNER: Seth MacFarlane

1. cyclone says:

I don’t get how Orange is the New Black can be considered a drama but Transparent is considered a comedy. It should be the other way around. I found Transparent to be much more dramatic and I find Orange to be so funny.

2. B says:

I haven’t seen Better Call Saul, but seriously… Walton Goggins as supporting actor people.

3. Slightly annoyed says:

What about Outlander?? Terrific story, cast, locations. What more can they want?! With the exception of Rupert’s over-acting sidekick, the acting is believable and frankly amazing.

4. Lauren says:

Jaime Camil was robbed!

5. Angela says:

Vera and Viola up against each other. Wow. I’ll root for both of ’em :). And Cicely Tyson had BETTER win for her role on “How to Get Away with Murder”. That episode she was on was so good. Also hoping Felicity Huffman and Freddie Highmore win.
    And yay for Jon Stewart, though I would’ve been thrilled to see John Oliver win as well. Hopefully next year can be his turn. He deserves it.

6. Cassidy says:

I’m happy to see Aden Young scored a nom for Rectify but how is that show not up for Best Drama and Empire is? Don’t get me wrong, I find Empire entertaining as hell, but it has no business in the the BD category

• wendy says:

When you look past the guest stars and the slight comedy. And just watch the family dynamics and secrets of the family and the entertainment biz..Empire does deserve to be in that category as well.

• Kimberly binion says:

Totally agree. Intelligent, and insightful. Don’t mind the comedy- could use a little less men scene kisdig, though.

7. K says:

Way to blow it CCA. Walton Goggins was by far the best supporting AND guest actor.

8. Silly Sally says:

Please raise the microphone!!! Presenters and winner have to bend at the waist to speak into the the microphone. Viewers cannot even see their faces.

9. jj says:

I don’t understand how Allison Janney is considered supporting for all of these awards. In my opinion, Anna and Allison are both lead actresses of the show

10. Sophie says:

Fingers crossed for The Americans, love that it’s finally getting some recognition, such a great show

11. The heck? Katheryn Winnick should have won. She’s excellent in Vikings.

12. Dude says:

I love Amy Schumer but that was Gina Rodriguez’s award. I don’t think what she does on her show compares.

• Lauren says:

Totally agree! Gina is amazing! It feels like that the awards are trying to be all about the esteem, so are ignoring a very deserving CW show because it is a CW show

• Dude says:

Probably. It feels like they gave it to Amy because she’s having a moment. If Gina couldn’t win it, I’m glad she did but Gina was robbed.

• brandydanforth81 says:

Gina should’ve won I agree

13. brandydanforth81 says:

Man,Viola,Gina,Jaime,Johnny, should’ve won,they were robbed.

• Lauren says:

Totally agree! Jaime and Gina are incredible! Jamie makes the most arrogant character to ever exist most endearing character on TV!

• brandydanforth81 says:

Yeah.Emmy noms come out Wed so maybe they’ll have better luck there.At least Gina won a Globe.Pkus,at least we will see Gina& Jaime on tv next season.

• brandydanforth81 says:

Laurie should’ve won too for BBT & Jane should’ve won too,Cicely too

14. Erin says:

Really wish Charlie Hunnam had won think that Better off Saul is great and you know he is going to be nominated for the Emmy but for some reason the academy hates SOA so I though maybe he would win with the Critics….Hope Charlie gets an emmy nom but not very optimistic.

15. Justsomeguy says:

Cicely Tyson got robbed.

16. DavidSask says:

T.J. Miller, REALLY?

• maggie says:

T. J. Miller seems to be just playing himself. He’s exactly the same as when he does stand-up or talk shows. Miller seems to be just reading the words in the script as himself.

I really wanted to love Silicon Valley, but it’s been just meh. I expected more from Mike Judge. Silicon Valley has been a major disappointment.

17. Dude says:

Happy for The Americans

18. wendy says:

Taraji P. Henson in Empire as Cookie, is deserving of this award. However C.C.A doing their version of a “BOYS TO MEN” song…smh. And the comedy thats written for these people..suck. Just watched because I support EMPIRE! Never watch again!

19. Diva DIary says:

I love Taraji P, but if I had to choose between Henson and Green, I’m Green all day long.

20. Jennifer says:

I understand that Amy Schumer is having her little moment right now, but the fact that they handed her this award made me side-eye this award show a little bit. People always want to go around saying that the Emmy’s are the golden standard for television, but we all know it’s just a bunch of politics and only hand awards based on popularity and buzz. So for the past couple years, I’ve been relying on the Critics Choice. They are what the Emmy’s SHOULD be. They give the right people the nominations and typically I agree with the majority of the wins. BUT, I’m not happy about this. You’re telling me that Amy Schumer gave a more compelling performance out of all those who were nominated? No. She would have been at the bottom of my list. You have people in that category like Lisa Kudrow (who I would have given it to) and Julia Louis Dreyfus. They are comedic geniuses and have some of the best comedic timing out of every comedic actor and actress out there right now. You even have Gina Rodriguez (who would have been my second choice) who gave an incredible performance this past season in “Jane the Virgin.” Far better than anything Amy has done, if you ask me.

I am LOVING Taraji P. Henson’s win though. That woman is absolutely outstanding in everything she does and I’m so happy she’s getting the recognition she deserves. Now, I would have loved to see Vera Farmiga or Keri Russell take home the prize because both gave amazing performances this year (I really have to give Keri some serious credit because I didn’t know she had it in her!), but I love Taraji too much to not be happy for her!

• LOL says:

As much as I love Amy and her show and think she’s awesome, I totally agree. The format of her show simply does not allow for the performances that Gina and Lisa and Julia are giving. It felt like she was getting the award because she’s the “It Girl” of the moment.

• flutiefan says:

just because it’s a different type of comedy doesn’t mean she’s any less deserving.

21. Lori says:

How is it that Outlander and its cast weren’t nominated here?

22. Mr. Tran K says:

Does anybody know the winner for Most Exciting New Series?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

There’s no “winner,” just a list: American Crime Story, Aquarius, Blindspot, Minority Report, The Muppets, Scream Queens, Supergirl and UnREAL.

23. Guy says:

Gina Rodriguez was robbed. What a sham.

24. There seem to be a lot of deserving winners. Once again, there need to be separate awards for Cable and Network TV. Cable TV can go places that network TV can’t and they can push the envelope farther. Nothing for the Walking Dead again. I think that it’s justly called the CRITICS award show because a lot of the people and shows not nominated(but should have been) really TICKS a lot of us off.

25. A.M says:

Julianna M & Gina R were not robbed, they are so overrated..I’m glad they did not win and I’m hoping the same goes for the Emmys

26. Andrew says:

Once again, Vera Farmiga (and her work on Bates Motel) gets overlooked. What a joke.

I’m not sure why Better Call Saul got praise; The first season really wasn’t that great.

• Linda says:

I agree with you. Vera Farmiga is amazing. Bates motel is one of the best shows on. Never even heard of Better call Saul. Bates keeps you coming back and that “on the edge of your seat ” feeling. You can’t say that about alot of the shows that are on now.

• Kel says:

Better Call Saul was excellent. You’ve heard of Breaking Bad, right? BCS is based on a character from that show. It is it’s own show though and so far it had been fantastic. Odenkirk and Banks were very deserving of their awards.

27. Ben Mendelsohn’s performance was one of the most riveting performances I have seen in many years…. a brilliant actor!

28. Betsy says:

Deadliest Catch is so far above any other reality show it’s ridiculous.

29. gg says:

Um hello..what about anyone from Game of thrones!

30. flutiefan says:

just once i’d like to see Mayim Bialik win over Allison Janney.

31. Haven’t even heard of half of these shows and I am retired and watch TV all the time!

32. Kimberly binion says:

Is it true Taraji Henson? Is Terence Howard nominated, too? What about the other cast members?

33. LAwoman says:

I’m surprised and happy for The Americans and Silicon Valley wins.

34. Linda says:

Can’t see why Bates motel didn’t win such an awesome show. American Horror is also great. Is Bates motel on for another season and I wasn’t to impressed with the last season of American Horror story but I hear Lady Gaga is on this next season. When is it coming back on?

35. Mike Q says:

That Better Call Saul wasn’t even nominated for best drama proves these mean nothing.

36. Faye says:

I was happy to see Jon Stewart win but it makes me sad knowing he’ll be off the air soon.
    Even though they didn’t get Critics Choice awards, Rectify and Last Week Tonight with John Oliver received Peabody Awards tonight, They are two of my favorite shows.
    Otherwise, it’s great seeing a lot of new people in categories.

• Angela says:

Oh, that’s great news about John Oliver’s show winning a Peabody! VERY well-deserved-his show’s one of the most educational, thoughtful things on TV right now.

• maggie says:

John Oliver’s show is a must-see show. Funny, yet extremely informative. With The Colbert Report gone, and Jon leaving The Daily Show, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver is going to be the only place to go for smart, funny, informative talk.

37. jim says:

How much do these shows pay to win? What the hell is Transparent? Once again Justified (best f–king show on tv along with SOA got the shaft. Faceoff? Isn’t that the movie with the weirdo Travolta? Who the hell is Amy Schuler? Archer? Oh good a cartoon with sex. Why not just shoe Fritz The Cat? You know what Critic awards can do….guess!

38. Not one mention of Outlander?! What were these people thinking or should I say not thinking??!! Unbelievable!

39. Amanda says:

I wish the whole cast of Justified could have won, and although I think Taraji P. Henson is great in Empire, I think Eva Green is amazing in Penny Dreadful. The way this season is going, she should win next year. At least she was recognized this year, if I remember correctly she was not nominated last year.

40. Virginia says:

Outlander & Mad Men, two of the best shows on TV, these critics need a critic, they stink…

41. Nitemar says:

Emmys this year will be tough, specially with dramas and best actresses in drama series..I agree that Cicely Tyson should have won in her category, but I have yet to see many of the shows mentioned. So congratulations to Taraji!

42. nhogan47 says:

I’m so thrilled for TJ Miller, Bob Odenkirk and Jonathan Banks. Well deserved.

43. Pat Goepfert says:

The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon is by far a winner for a talk show! His tremendous multi talent allows him to share his variety of skills as well as his respect and ability to make all Guests feel so important!!!!!!!

44. Joey Padron says:

happy Jonathan and Bob from Better Call Saul won!

45. Bates Motel got robbed….such a great show and acting….just turned channel

46. Mike B. says:

Justified would have deserved a few wins…

47. Sue says:

Is it possible Outlander was not considered due to the absurd way they split the very first season into 2 parts?
    And why did Justified receive so very little love from any of these awards groups? For me it was the best writing & acting on tv for it’s entire run and we watch Homeland, Mad Men, True Detective for comparison.

48. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Justified should’ve won for best drama they had the best ending to wrap up the series! Charlie Hunnam SHOULD’VE WON for SOA. Even tho. Sam Elliott won for Justified which was I happy Cicley Tyson and Walton Goggins should’ve won as well those 2 were awesome on HTGAWM and SOA. Plus super happy that The Walking Dead won the binge worthy show award!!!

49. Leanne says:

you’ve got to be kidding

50. DW says:

For the most part these “awards” are the best laugh I’ve had this season. C’mon broadcast critics, it’s okay to like shows that aren’t on cable.