Community: Yvette Nicole Brown Returning for Season 6 Finale

Yvette Nicole Brown

Community fan favorite Yvette Nicole Brown will return for the Season 6 finale, streaming on Yahoo! Screen June 2.

Brown is listed as a guest star in the series’ official synopsis, along with Family Guy‘s Seth Green. Per the episode logline: “As their sixth year at Greendale draws to a close, Abed asks everyone to imagine pitching a TV show about what they would do in Season 7.”

The actress announced her Community exit last September, after which she was cast on CBS’ The Odd Couple — a multi-cam sitcom whose much shorter work hours would allow Brown to care for her father.

As explained in Community‘s Season 6 premiere, Shirley relocated to Atlanta — to be with her own ailing dad — while working as a chef for a paraplegic detective.

Brown told TVLine in March that she would be open to reprising her role, if possible: “It was always a time-spent-on-set issue, not a being-on-set issue. If they were to find a way for me to come back and I wouldn’t have to be there for 16-hour days, I would totally do it, because I love the show, I love my cast members and the crew is awesome.”

Community has not yet been renewed for Season 7.

1. msemmyjones says:

Yes! I miss Shirley. Now if only we could get a little Troy spot.

• Angela says:

Agreed. If they can’t get him for the season finale, and they do wind up doing their movie, then I’d be thrilled to see him pop up there.
      This is certainly a wonderful surprise, though, for sure. I look forward to seeing Shirley again :). And given the synopsis for the episode, I’m very curious to see what role she’ll play in it!

2. rowan77 says:

That is great news! I’ve missed seeing her as Shirley and find that to be a much more interesting character than Dani on The Odd Couple. But she made the choice that was best for her family situation and I applaud her for putting family first.

3. Drew says:

Glad to hear that she will he back. This season has been great, but it is always nice to have Shirley in the mix. I hope that she plays a bigger role than she did in the premiere. It would be interesting to see how she interacts with the new characters.

4. Kandice says:

Old news, TVLine, old news.

5. maggie says:

Shirley was always one of my favorites on Community. I understand the reasons why she’s not a regular, as family should come first. It’s nice to know that the cast and producers at Community understood her decision, and that she’s still on great terms with them.

• Drew says:

I always thought that they could have brought Shirley into the season more than they did, given Yvette’s willingness to return. Ending a few episodes with video chats between Shirley and various cast members could have been fun. Abed could have even made some Suzanne Somers jokes (see, because on Three’s Company… Never mind. The reference is pretty dated)

6. Joey Padron says:

good news she’s coming back in season finale! can’t wait to watch new finale on Tuesday!

7. Kristina says:

Yay!

8. WenRaz says:

Love Shirley!

9. Azerty says:

I was very excited when I read about it but now that I know the synopsis of the episode I guess she won’t be there in the present but in someone’s imagination. I know it shouldn’t make a difference Shirley is back but for me it is not the same thing. Season 6 has been good for a sitcom but as the resurrected Community I think something was missing…Not sure glhow to explain but all the meta jokes, the “oooh that’s nice”, the “cool. Cool cool cool “, “pop pop” Starburns, Leonard, the monkey, the darkest timeline, the scene in the end, etc. Actually all the recurring jokes that made Community the iconic show it was. I know with the departures of some characters it is not always possible but that’s how I feel. I hope they will be able to brung back Shirley and somehow a caneo of Pierce to make a 90 minutes movie in which they leave to save Troy and conclude the show properly.

10. dman6015 says:

Don’t you mean Series Finale? You know Yahoo! is not going to spring for another season.