Ratings: Dawn of Aquarius Is a Bummer, Bones Rises, Old Bang Tops Night

The premiere of NBC’s Aquarius averaged 5.7 million total viewers and a 1.0 rating on Thursday night, waning in audience and in the demo throughout its double-episode debut.

In the half-hours, the retro crime drama performed as follows: 6.6 mil/1.3 > 5.6 mil/1.0 > 5.3 mil/1.0 > 5.1 mil/0.9.

Fun with numbers: NBC notes that versus its most recent Thursday summer drama debut — Saving Hope circa 2012 — Aquarius was up 76 and 43 percent. TVLine readers gave the show an average grade of “B.”

Over on Fox, Bones (5.4 mil/1.2) returned up 14 and 20 percent. Wayward Pines (4 mil/1.2) slipped 13 percent in audience while steady in the demo, where it edged out the opening hour of Aquarius.

The finale of ABC’s 500 Questions (5 mil/1.1) was up a tenth both week-to-week and versus its Wednesday edition. The game show’s closer gave ABC its best non-sports summer numbers in the time slot in two years.

CBS’ Big Bang rerun topped the night in both viewers (7.5 mil) and in the demo (1.4.)

Next Thursday: Hannibal returns!

1. B.T. says:

Seven nights and 500 Questions couldn’t find one likable genius? Or a likable host? I’m surprised it didn’t tank like that Ryan Seacrest mess last summer.

• dan says:

I like Richard Quest as CNN’s aviation expert, but didn’t like him as the host on this show. I watched one episode of 500 Questions for about 15 minutes then changed channels. I didn’t like the contestant so it didn’t matter to me whether he won or lost. Too bad because it was an interesting premise for a game show.

2. Boiler says:

Nice for Bones. Know it didn’t do well but can’t believe that many people watched Aquarius. If anyone on this site besides me alive in 1967 he was just a cruel person and not deserving of any additional publicity

• Shaun says:

Not sure how much of Aquarius is fact or a fever dream of what could have occured before.

• tvjunkie says:

I had no interest in Aquarius for the same reason. That sadistic person does not deserve any press and any shape or form. To do so only serves to legitimize him and that’s the last thing anyone should be doing.

3. kmw says:

Yes very good for Bones. It had some good moments last night and glad it didn’t go down. Aquarius starting slowly isn’t a surprise, it didn’t exactly get rave reviews beforehand. Since NBC has released all its episodes to watch now I don’t know how that really affects their live viewing. FOX should be a little happy that Wayward Pines retained the demo numbers coming off of Bones. It will make up viewers on DVR

4. Mr. Tran K says:

I have a feeling 500 Questions gets canceled soon. BTW, is the season finale of Bones next week or the week after?

5. John NYC says:

Gotta love TBBT!

6. Mel says:

Really? Wow, I thought Aquarius was the best thing I’ve seen in a long time. Engaging, great acting, slick production. Too bad.

7. CountryQueen says:

I liked Aquarius. It will pair wonderfully with Hannibal! So excited to see that come back next week. Love Wayward Pines too. Sure, some of the dialogue is cheesy, but I’m liking the weird vibe, and trying to figure out what’s happening. And I’m glad it’s a 10 and done event, because I’ve got my honey watching, and he wouldn’t if it wasn’t a sure 10 and done.

8. Jeri says:

I liked Aquarious more than I thought I would. Lots of good actors and Emma’s plight is worrying.

9. Jeri says:

I liked Aquarius more than I thought I would. Lots of good actors and Emma’s plight is worrying.

10. Allison says:

I really enjoyed 500 Questions. The first two geniuses were more likable than the third, but I enjoyed playing along and being amazed at what they knew.

11. B says:

Yay for Bones and Wayward Pines!

12. prish says:

“How can you make Charles Manson look attractive, anyway?”, said the Husband, as he bailed from the series at the end of the first episode. The husband loved the music in the 60’s and had high hopes. Manson had long, long hair, and the Beach Boys were afraid of him. That was history, not this presentation.

• CringeWorthy says:

Actually, you google pictures of Charles Manson-young, it clearly shows that when he was younger from the early to late 60;s his hair was everything from skin-head short to below shoulder length. He was actually somewhat attractive at some point (before he started carving swastikas on his forehead!) Dennis Wilson was actually quite taken with Mason early in their friendship, even including one of Manson’s songs on an album. It was later when it became increasingly apparent that Manson wasn’t quite right that Wilson broke it off. So while Aquarius this is a fictionalized account, it also isn’t correct to think of “history” as one famous picture that everyone knows.

• Jeri says:

All true. Well known Manson was a frustrated musician that felt he never got his due music wise. I found the show better than expected with a creeping feeling of dread throughout. Keep it going.

13. Nan says:

I loved 500 Qs, and as I do with Jeopardy kept score on myself. Hope it gets a second series.

14. dman6015 says:

“The game show’s closer gave ABC its best non-sports summer numbers in the time slot in two years.” That will probably secure its return. They really need to get a better host, though, if it’s going to last.

I don’t think anyone except NBC and Duchovny expected great ratings for Aquarius. Fifty-year-old storyline that everyone knows how it turns out. And it was a little boring.