Wayward Pines Recap: Invasion of the Body Snatcher

Wayward Pines Recap

So… that just happened.

This week on Fox’s Wayward Pines, in Episode 3 of 10, it became ever more clear that no one is safe in this highly unusual Idaho outpost.

In the wake of Beverly’s horrific “reckoning” in the town square, Ethan again confronts ex-lover Kate about what the Sam hell is going on, arguing that the Kate he knew was “fearless and strong” and would not be party to such “evil.”

Ethan next pays a visit to the back of a delivery truck, secreting himself away until it arrives at its origin — a sprawling warehouse of some sort. There, Ethan stumbles upon his banged-up, very dusty car, inside which he finds a bag containing wife Theresa’s personal effects. Theresa, though, hasn’t set foot in town yet… or has she? Last we saw, she and Ben were en route to Wayward Pines when Pope pulled them over for a bogus reason, before sabotaging their car. Hmm.

Speaking of the sheriff: Like the bad penny he is, Pope interrupts Ethan’s warehouse snooping, the men get into a scuffle, Pope oddly remarks, “I don’t know what they see in you,” and Ethan winds up tranq’d. He comes to in the hospital, where Nurse Pam informs him that Theresa and Ben have arrived in town and are staying at “his” (meaning: dead Bev’s) home. Ethan reunites with the fam, who simply don’t ask nearly enough questions for my liking about the WTF?! situation they have gotten into. (Seriously folks, what are the odds you both had car “trouble” and then woke up in a town that has no wi-fi or outgoing calls?)

Following another exchange of terse words with Pope ‘n’ Pam at the cop shop, and after being told by Dr. Jenkins that the town “needs” him, Ethan slips away to rendezvous with Kate, who insists that she hadn’t seen their colleague Bill Evans for a decade before he showed up in Wayward Pines — and he hadn’t aged a day! But Ethan again contends that they’ve only been apart for five weeks. Meanwhile, Pope pays Theresa a visit, to mooch some of her ice cream and ultimately seethe that he’s had it up to here with the ungrateful Burkes. “This is my town!” he harrumphs.

When Ben tattles to his mom that their worst suspicion is true, Dad is hanging with Kate, the two of them grab their suitcases and begin hot-footing it down the main road. Pope gives pursuit in his truck, chasing them off the road and into the woods. Just as the sheriff begins losing his cool, Ethan shows up and grappling ensues. Pope gains the upper hand and is about to shoot Ethan when Ben mows down the sheriff with his own truck. (Quiet engine, it must have.) For good measure, Ethan puts a bullet into his adversary, then uses Pope’s keychain fob to remotely open the nearby electric fence.

But before the Burkes can drive through the opening and away to… freedom?… something scurries inside the fence, grabs Pope and drags the dead body away. As the giant metal door closes behind… whatever that was… the Burkes smartly throw the truck into reverse and get far away, fast!

Want scoop on Wayward Pines, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. PixxieTrixxie says:

This show is one freaky ride. Hope they can keep the mystery.

2. Cobra says:

I’m definitely liking this show and very excited to see where it all leads.

3. AngelWasHere says:

Aw I’m going miss Terrance/Pope. His creepiness and taste for ice cream was awesome! Hopefully he’s not really dead. I also hope this doesn’t turn into M. Night Shyamalan film or get super cheesy with the mystery creatures outside the gate. WTF was that?!

• incog99 says:

I am going to miss Juliet Lewis. Somehow I don’t think any of these people will stay dead with all this time warping going on.

4. Jlz says:

When I was watching the ending, I kept looking to see if Jack, Kate or Hurley would show up. :)

5. MattR says:

No spoilers, but I’ve read the books. Whatever it was that pulled Pope away is not some “cheesy M. Night Shyamalan” creation. He did not create this series, it was created by a guy named Chad Hodge, from books written by Blake Crouch. All Shyamalan did was direct the first episode and lend his A-list name to the show. That’s it. He has no say over where the direction of the series goes, in fact he’s writing a new film and putting the finishing touches on this year’s “The Visit”.

So if you don’t end up enjoying where it goes, it’s not Shyamalan’s fault. FYI.

• AngelWasHere says:

Well that makes me feel better. I didn’t mean to come off rude or anything. Just got scared for a min since it reminded me of one his movies. I’m willing to watch it through. It’s got me all curious. :)

• KevyB says:

One BIG problem with your commentary: Shyamalan is lucky to have a “C-list” name at this point in his career. He effectively killed his A-listing in 2004 and has continued to kill it repeatedly since.

6. Michelle says:

Are we thinking Agent Stallings (the officer that was driving with ethan in episode 1) is dead? Did they find his body?

7. Annie says:

Theresa and Ben failing to ask ANY questions almost ruined the episode for me. I’m intrigued by the ending, but that slight made no sense. It looks like the couple will talk in the next episode, but the lack of realism irks.

• Faye says:

I’ll temporarily attribute it to being dazed and confused by accident and possible treatment from nurse wicked. Both of their memories were foggy.

8. james says:

I hope this show is not going to be another ‘Lost’, or Devils conundrum for lost souls. It’s working at becoming too complex and cliché ridden to be a Government conspiracy directed by aliens theory, plus the characters are too average to justify the expense of running such a vast fenced in prison complex. Conclusion: It’s actually a reality TV show.

• smartysenior says:

Naw, I think it’s a dream or hallucination that will wind up showing us all his hopes and fears within this context. There’s no other way all these folks are aging differently as he keeps finding, that’s the part that I think is a clue.

• Gianluca Scorzoni says:

I have 2 theories:
      Theory 1 (if it will be a terrible serie)
      The USA Government have put for no reason this people in a city that is controlled by aliens.
      Theory 2 (if it will be a good serie, or nice)
      Wayward Pines really exist, but the monster is just an hallucination like part of wayward pines mistery, but not all

9. N says:

I just don’t want it to be aliens!

10. laurelnev says:

Well I guess Wayward Pines really IS in Idaho…or Wyoming. Wonder if it’s some sort of leftover cold war type experiment or something…

11. Austin says:

I have a theory: Aliens are testing the world to see if there is any good left in humanity (sort of like “The Box” with Cameron Diaz), the citizens are in a pocket that is extra-dimensional but has real coordinates in our world. Once you pass those coordinates you enter the dimension. For some reason, the government got involved and is aiding in that alien development.

Another theory: Humans from the future developed a testing center to help prevent a future crisis.

Lastly, Ethan Burke has been hardwired to a series of computers, similar to the Matrix, and must find his way out to free everyone who was trapped in the digital creation known as “Wayward Pines.” Possibly a sick video game.

That’s all I’ve got.

12. skrable2 says:

They’d better not dispense with the time differences people seem to have with a throwaway excuse. That one has me stumped, particularly since Burke’s boss seems to know what is going on

Otherwise, it sure looks as though the electrified fence is to keep something from getting “in”, rather than preventing people from getting out

13. David Strong says:

I have read all three books Pines, Wayward, and The Last Town. I know exactly what is going on here, but I’m still thinking WTF about several things in the first three episodes we have seen now. For starters, when Ethan first finds Kate in Wayward Pines in the first episode, she tells him to lay low and be quiet, they’re listening. You would think since Ethan was so intimate with Kate he may put stock into something she was trying to tell him here. What we see next looks like a scene from a Grand Theft Auto video game. Go bust a window out of a car and steal it, Ethan. That’s a great idea since you were just told they’re watching by a paraniod Kate. Anyways, jumping to the second episode we find Beverely and Ethan plotting an escape plan. Beverly knows about the R.F.I.D. microchips inplanted in the legs of all Wayward Pines citizens to track them, and tells Ethan he needs to remove his. Beverly, with no medical experience, is cutting open Ethan’s leg with a scapal. Ethan is the only human being ever to show little signs of pain. Granted, Ethan takes over the operation and removes his chip. (somehow being a secertive service agent also qualifies you as a surgeon.) Not only is Ethan able to walk after just having his leg sliced open, he is also able to run around later and avoid the townsfolk chasing him. Duct tape must do more wonders than any stitching or resting his leg combined. Okay, so jumping ahead to last night’s third episode, we find Theresa and her son searching for Ethan by driving 500 miles to Idaho. Their number one suspicion for Ethan being gone is that he is off with Kate again. In the past, Ethan’s boss, Adam, informed Theresa that Ethan was in an automotive accident. Now, she isn’t buying it, and is pretty sure Kate was transferred to the U.S. Secertive Service Building in Idaho. She is also sure this is where Ethan went. Upon arriving at the location, Theresa is able to walk in off the street and hack into a computer at the highest level of law enforcement’s Idaho branch. What is really disturbing me about this whole part here is the theory that the U.S. Secertive Service is using all of its funding and resources just to cover up an affair between Ethan and Kate that has no connection with any operation the U.S. Secert Service is conducting. You’re on to something there, Theresa. Okay, so we find Ethan still dodging others in Wayward Pines. He finally sneaks into the back of a food delivery truck. Just for the record, I noticed the side of the truck said coffee, milk, and orange juice. I wasn’t aware oranges could be planted and successfully grown in Northern Idaho, okay, then. Later, we find Ethan finds his family to the house where they are assigned, Beverly’s old house. Here’s what gets me about all this. Nothing is even mentioned between Ethan and Theresa about them both being involved in seperate accidents that put the their family there. No doubt, both Theresa and her son must of went through the same process as Ethan upon arriving at Wayward Pines. The creepy nurse at a nearly empty hospital, their modern technology items missing, only landline phones anywhere you go, and not even a television at your house have been no conern or motive for Theresa to think anything is out of the ordinary. What drives her to want to leave is when she learns Ethan was in in the woods with Kate. For some reason, this trumps out anything else for Theresa as the incentive to leave town. Everything else seems to be okay with her. It was all just some things that gave me a laugh. You have to love it.

• JoelH says:

Amen to all of that. And Theresa also displays no curiousity as to WHY Ethan HAS A HOME in Wayward Pines, only that the refrigerator is full. And so on and so on. I soooo wanted to love this show – I’ve always loved the odd ones, The Prisoner, Twin Peaks, etc – but this show is full of stupid characters. As in, the characters have the quality of being stupid and acting stupidly.

14. Luis Gerena says:

This show is good creepy fun.I wish there were more than 10 episodes

15. raven64 says:

I like it so far. Been following Reed Diamond and Melissa Leo since Homicide: Life on the Streets. As a native Marylander that was must see tv for many years!

16. sally says:

Wth is with the spoilers in your headline? I googled wayward pines as I’m watching the third episode, your post is the second link saying sheriff pope dies. not the best way to get clicks, jerks

• Normandy says:

They’ve always done that. If you come across a spoiler-filled TV Line article via search engine, they’ll intentionally spoil you. The clicks they get outweigh the pissed off people. They will never stop doing it.

• Gabby says:

Sally, if you don’t like spoilers, them don’t google Wayward Pines until AFTER you’ve watched the episode.
      I watch it, then google it, to read others opinions and theories of the show.

17. HAP says:

Admittedly, I have not read the book. But, after noticing what sounded like many people screaming when the door opened around the time Pope’s body was taken, and after seeing that Juliette Lewis’ body all of a sudden disappeared, and after seeing that Howard and Lewis are given IMDB credit for ten episodes each, They either did not die, or they will return thanks to some alien force.

18. Jlock82 says:

I think it’s all in his head, but not like he’s crazy. I think that this is some sort of experiment where they drug him to think this is all going on but it’s really not.. kinda like imprisoning him in his mind which translates to the prison of Wayward Pines.

19. tyler says:

LOST LOST LOST…. everything that is happening is exactly like lost. They crash look around to see where they are….. Find out they are on an island…… He wrecks…. Tries to find our where he is…. Finds out he is stuck. Just like LOSTTTTTTTT also the creatures…. LOST HAD THEM IN EPISODE 4. this is all like lost and guess what LOST was bull crap. Everyone died….really?? So if they pull what they did on lost im done.

• incog99 says:

Only one problem with your scenario. The Sheriff is seen cutting the brake lines to the car. The “accident” is not really an “accident”. If they were all dead, then the accident would have been serendipity.

20. I don’t believe there is a monster/creature outside the gate. Otherwise wouldn’t it be attacking people OUTSIDE the fence too? I think was a fake meant to scare them away from leaving. To put them in such a state of fright that they think what is outside is worse than what is inside. I’m also thinking the whole town is one big psychological experiment. They are testing people to see what breaks them. Specifically Ethan. Possibly training him for something outside the fence.

21. kirads09 says:

I am so enjoying this. All I could think of with that end scene was Jurassic Park (what with the gate and creature sound and the electric fence!) I have not read the book(s) YET – so trying so very hard to remain spoiler free. My current personal running theory is that this is something akin to a “total recall” experience that Ethan is going through. Just an out in left field thought but it would explain a great deal. Maybe after losing his wife and kid? Maybe after he witnessed a horrid thing happened to Kate and Evans IRL? I don’t know anything except I am along for the entire ride. I hope it isn’t some LOST purgatory as that would be lame and too easy. My burning questions: So WHO (or WHAT?) is really calling the shots in Pines? That call that Nurse Pam took when Ethan was confronting Pope? He quickly realized they weren’t the ones in charge after all. How did Kate know the phone was for (Harold?) and not for her when Ethan was in her home after the “reckoning”? Is Harold higher up the food chain – an Orphan Black type monitor perhaps? Is it a time warp or how is the doctor (Jenkins?) able to be both in Pines and also with Ethan’s supervisor, who apparently arranged for this to happen to Ethan – seemingly at the same time?

22. BrianR says:

Parallel dimension or universe is my guess. Feels like Dark City also.