Fuller House: Olsen Twins Not Returning as Michelle, EP Confirms

Fuller House Olsen Twins

Someone tell Danny not to bother saving a seat for Michelle at the Tanner family dinner table.

Neither of her portrayers — Mary-Kate or Ashley Olsen, respectively — are set to appear in Netflix’s Fuller House, according to the series’ executive producer Robert L. Boyett.

“Although Ashley and Mary-Kate will not be a part of Fuller House, I know how much Full House has meant to them, and they are still very much considered family,” Boyett said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. “It has been exciting to see how they have built their professional careers, and I support their choice to focus on their fashion brands and various business endeavors. I appreciate their support and good wishes towards Fuller House.”

Fuller House centers around former Full House cast members Candace Cameron Bure, Jodie Sweetin, and Andrea Barber, now all-grown-up and living together following the death of DJ’s husband. (Don’t worry, it’s not Steve.) Additional Tanner family members are set to appear throughout the series, though it looks like Michelle won’t be counted among them.

Are you disappointed by the Olsens’ absence from Fuller House? Or are you not surprised? Drop a comment with your thoughts on this development below.

1. Eric says:

This is slightly disappointing, yet expected. They’re just too rich to come back for a sitcom that they were a part of when their age was still only a single digit. Would have been a hoot to see a grown-up Michelle though.

• Ann says:

I wouldn’t discount them from appearing on the series though. If Fuller Hour is a hit and it gets a second season, it’s possible they make a cameo for that if they get enough pressure from fans. I think they might have been a little hurt that they weren’t asked to be part of the series in the first place. I mean, it’ll be DJ an her sister Stephanie and I doubt anyone ever planned to have Michelle a part of the show, which might have stung a bit.

2. Milly says:

I’m very disappointed! I would love to see the Olsen twins back on my tv! I understand though and wish them the best.

3. t.w.123 says:

Not surprised. I would have loved to see if maybe their little sister, Elizabeth Olsen was interested. Her career is on the rise, doing a few well-noted indie films and now playing Scarlett Witch in the latest Avengers movie, but I feel like she’s still not a *huge* star and they could have maybe booked her for a guest appearance. She looks remarkably close to what I imagine a grown-up Michelle Tanner would look like (unlike MK + A, who have years of partying already engraved on their faces- don’t yell at me! I love them!! LOVE THEM! But it’s the sad truth)….. But I guess the point is to have the “original actors”, so then maybe using Lizzie Olsen wouldn’t work?

Either way. I’m still SO EXCITED for this remake! I’m there with bells on.

• Riana says:

I don’t think she would do it either. She’s a movie star.

• Patrick says:

A big one. She’s in the next Captain America, and she’s in the next Avengers, which is a two part movie. Throw in a few other projects, and she’s booked for the next 3-5 years.

• HAP says:

Elizabeth is the only sister who actually can act; an excellent actress. I wouldn’t be surprised if the twins thought they might embarrass themselves.

• Cathy dewey says:

I think there little sister Elizabeth would be the perfect option! I wish they’d ask her.

4. Emily says:

That’s too bad. I was hoping she would return… but I agree – it’s expected because she rarely take any part of the reunions in the past. Michelle should be recast for Fuller House…. no?

5. Chris says:

If not them…The I would settle with their younger sister…that’s if she isn’t too busy Avenging

• eye says:

Right now she’s filming Captain America Civil War which reprises that role, is (I think) in the Hank Williams movie that comes out in the near future, etc. so which films now, has the Hank Williams biopic coming out which is sure to get her attention, etc. so she seems to be pretty occupied.

6. Karen says:

Disappointed yes, but if you look at the picture you provided, they don’t look identical anymore. We were always told they were fraternal. Now you can tell that is the case.

• Letti says:

Actually, Mary-Kate had plastic surgery. That’s why they are not identical anymore.

• emily says:

they were never identical. always fraternal twins. and i could always tell them apart.

• Letti says:

I could also always tell them apart, but they were still pretty similar. Now their whole face strukture is so different because of the plastic surgery. IMO Mary-Kate was much prettier before that, it ruined her face.

7. iHeart says:

Probably for the best, because let’s face it even if they did return, only one of them would end up playing Michelle

8. dude says:

I doubt they would have done it anyway but it’s especially not surprising considering Ashley is battling lyme disease and they’ve been saying her symptoms are really bad lately.

9. Mr. Tran K says:

HOW RUDE

10. Cas says:

Good never really liked Michelle. I’m

11. webly3 says:

Well they never said Elizabeth Olsen wouldn’t! I’m holding out hope.

12. Diz says:

Come on. They could at least do 1 little camio.

13. fatalsin says:

Are any of really surprised?

14. Darla says:

Not surprised, and totally okay with it. Those girls moved on from Hollywood a long time ago. I say recast the role and give some deserving young actress who could use the exposure.

15. Amanda says:

Not surprised at all by this either. Would be great if Elizabeth Olsen did take over the role as she does look a lot like her sisters. No matter what they should recast.

16. Maybe she didn’t really get her memory back after all….

17. Matty Si. says:

I’m not surprised by this at all but it makes it seem like aren’t proud of their past. Surely one of the twins could take a day out of their schedules to film for a couple hours. They both can’t be that busy everyday. At least like one of them for the premiere and the other for the finale.

Idk. I think its still d and selfish they wouldn’t want to be a part of it. Its sad because I grew up with them, as in seeing them act and and loving their movies.

• S. says:

That’s like saying Disney is trying to revive the Mickey Mouse Club and why can’t Britney, Christina, and Justin put in appearances. They *are* that busy every day. Even if they’re not, they’re certainly too big to do it regularly. They also have basically retired from acting. Going in on a daily basis and memorizing a few lines? Just so you can have nostalgia? How’s that not selfish on your part?

18. chris peplinski says:

I think Elizabeth Olsen would be a great replacement choice since she could pass off as an older michelle.

19. Tony says:

Not surprised. But maybe they could have worked out at least a Skype appearance or a phone call scene.

20. radmcawesome says:

How rude!

Actually, they should just recast the part. It doesn’t make sense to pay two actresses to play one part.

21. Shaun says:

Blame it on the Lyme Disease?Family must be a wreck these days.

22. Bonesfan47 says:

It’s upsetting as I believe everyone else seems to be up for it but I am not at all surprised as you never see them with the other cast members at any of the events so I kinda figured that they would not be coming back for this show.

23. Alice says:

Meh, Michelle was an annoying brat anyway, so no loss here.

24. Hammy says:

I think it would be awesome if their younger sister played Michelle since she has a resemblance and is currently acting whereas the twins haven’t for quite some time. But she probably has better roles to do and it’s easy enough to say Michelle’s off doing her own thing somewhere else.

25. Lynne says:

I’m bummed but not surprised. They stopped acting years ago. Some child actors just grow out of the desire to continue once they grow up. Not a blow off to the creators, execs, etc. Just because the show got them what they have, they are not forever obligated to take part in any reboot, remake or anything. Yes it would be nice dose of nostalgia for us fans, but we cant force them.

26. Nicole says:

…They probably wanted too much money, thinking that there worth more than the others.

• S. says:

1) They *are* worth more than the others. Literally. They’re rolling in dough. 2) Why would they come and do a silly show for any amount of money when they don’t really wanna act any more? They’re running a company and you want them to spend their time rehashing something they did as young children and have tried to grow past. A guest appearance might happen, but it’d be a special thing. 3) Who exactly would act in it? They’re fraternal and supposedly Mary-Kate’s had work done so I’m not sure who’d play Michelle. Do they trade off and that’s the joke? That they don’t look the same? It wouldn’t make sense.

27. Brandon says:

Annoying.

28. Access and invites can be changed at will by the primary account
    holder. Depending on how complex your finances are, you may opt for a single list or choose to make two separate lists.
    Do not EVER try to hide this information from your accountant.

29. mika says:

Not surprised. They should just recast for storyline sake.

30. Kay says:

It’s fine. They’re scary now-a-days and I say that as someone who owned several Mary-Kate and Ashley videos as a kid. I say recast

31. Lizo says:

This is ridiculous. I’m very unhappy.

32. wingsstef says:

I like the idea that the show is about DJ, Kimmy and Stephanie. It’s a spin-off so we don’t need every character from the old show to come back. Only time it might be a bit weird is Christmas but they can always explain that away. Maybe a nod to the Oslens Michelle could be living over seas as a fashion model and can’t get back stateside.

33. matt says:

They should at least make a surprise cameo on 1 episode for the fans

34. A-C says:

I know they decided to quit acting altogether so it was unlikely to see them. But a grown-up Michelle would be nice, even for just one episode. Maybe they could try to get Elizabeth or someone else to do it.

35. What about Elizabeth Olsen? She’s a movie star now, but it would probably earn her some more fans if she showed up for a few episodes in that role.

They could also just recast it. They were so young it’s not that unlikely they would end up looking different now.

36. Rayne says:

I feel like maybe they should just recast the role. They were great but that was them as children and they look nothing like that now so realistically it wouldn’t be some major dis-junction for another lesser known actress to come in as an older Michelle. I definitely respect their wishes not to return but the writers shouldn’t have to deal with that as an elephant in the room when there are many blonde haired blue eyed actresses who I’m sure would do great in the role. Same for Nicky and Alex should they want to bring them in and the actors not be interested.

37. olita says:

I didn’t find Michelle to be a particularly cute kid. That aside, I’m inclined to think it would be difficult to create an older Michelle character that either of the Olsens would be excited to portray.

38. Todd says:

why dont they just recast ? how hard is it to find a look alike for the olsen twins, Hollywood does this all the time.

• Rod says:

Recasting would work.

Personally, I would just make it backstory that Michelle died of a drug overdose as a teenager. Or maybe she died from complications from diabetes brought on by all the cake she ate as a kid. :)

39. ZhaneEndrick says:

Am I supposed to be upset that the worst part of the show won’t be revisited?

40. JBC says:

There is no reason they can’t hire a look a like actress for the adult Michelle. I hope they do. They were so little when the show was on that of course a grown Michelle would look different.

41. jj says:

I never expected them to make appearance on the show. They actually manage to make a successful career AFTER the show ended, there is no need for them to make an appearance on the show.

42. dman6015 says:

Get their sister Elizabeth to do it. No one will notice the difference and she’s a much better actress than either of the twins.

43. Ashley-Amy says:

I don’t know what the big deal was with “Michelle” as a baby they both weren’t the best looking baby(1st season). They did look cute from the 2nd season on. But now they have gone from not being cute any more and just look frumpy and alien like.

44. Chi says:

Too bad they’re not returning. Hoping the make a guest appearance in the future, if the show gets more than this one season.
    And reading some of the comments…wow, there’s a lot of negativity.

45. Susan says:

Who cares they are spoiled brats, Goodbye and good riddance

46. i love full house its every thing in one its just a awsome family series

47. May says:

VERY DISAPPOINTED! They should find a replacement for her role..

48. May says:

Very sad

49. Halle says:

Really no Michele if there’s no michel there is no fuller house 😕😢

50. mildlyoptimistic says:

Disappointed, but not surprised.

You know who they should get to play Michelle? Just saw Avengers, Age of Ultron, and lil sister Elizabeth was great. She would be perfect.