Wayward Pines Recap: Rules Are Rules!

Wayward Pines Juliette Lewis Leaves

Fox’s Wayward Pines this week laid out the “rules” for living peacefully in the unusual Idaho town — as well as made clear the ramifications of running afoul of same.

Picking up right where the pilot left off, Pope had pulled over Ethan, ostensibly for the theft of a townsperson’s car — and no amount of declaring his credentials as a federal agent wins Ethan any favor with the sheriff. Heck, even a rando kid pedaling by on a bike warns Ethan: “Don’t try to leave — Rule No. 1!”

The next day, Ethan slips away to check on colleague Bill Evans’ dead, rotting body, only to be caught by Pope just as he caught glimpse of a notebook tucked in Evans’ shoe. Then at the bar, Ethan rings the Secret Service office but is stonewalled again by “Marcy,” whom he catches in a lie. When Ethan lobs questions at Beverly, she turns the music up and pulls him into a “dance,” whispering that there are microphones everywhere. They agree to meet later to discuss his latest findings.

Ethan’s next stop is the toy store where Kate works, and where he formally meets her husband, Harold. When Ethan presses Kate about her new life, the town’s funny money and whatnot, she lays out for him the four rules, as posted throughout town:
1. Do not try to leave.
2. Do not discuss the past.
3. Do not discuss your life before.
4. Always answer the phone if it rings.

Forgetting for a second that Nos. 2 and 3 are redundant…. Kate at least drops a clue for Ethan, pointing him to the house of Bill’s widow. But Mrs. Evans has no answers for Ethan, only more mysteries, maintaining that her husband A) did not work for the Secret Service but mowed lawns, and B) killed himself, was not murdered. Ethan of course is chastised by Pope for grilling the widow, as well as told not to check out Evans’ body at the morgue. So of course he does, where he lifts the small notebook that he spied in Bill’s shoe.

After being ushered away by Nurse Pam, Ethan sees his wife Theresa being wheeled down the hospital hallway on a gurney, but his race to find her only turns up a worried Dr. Jenkins. Afterward, Ethan shares with Beverly the “escape plan” he found on Bill. She says that before they can even think of utilizing it, they need to remove the tracker implanted in Ethan’s arm. During this process, Bev notes that she came to Wayward Pines “a year ago,” in 1999. But it’s 2014, Ethan counters. And doesn’t she look good for 54!

Ethan and Beverly plot to RSVP for dinner at Kate’s house, then leave their trackers behind and make a run for it. When Bev slips and discusses her past (a daughter in Portland), she gets nervous and basically fast-tracks their escape plan. Harold and Kate, though, rightly suspect that their guests are making a run for it, and as Ethan and Bev scramble through the streets, phones begin ringing throughout town, alerting all to the rule-breaking. After Ethan and Beverly split up, the latter is cornered, and Ethan can only look on from afar as Pope strings up Beverly in the town square, announces, “We cannot tolerate people who don’t play by the rules” and slits her throat.

Meanwhile, we see that Theresa and son Ben are on their way to Idaho, suspecting to a degree that Ethan disappeared to reunite with ex-mistress Kate, but obviously wholly unprepared for what they might actually find, in Wayward Pines….

How are you liking Wayward Pines thus far? Sticking with the 10-episode series?

Want scoop on Wayward Pines, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Cobra says:

I’m honestly hooked by this show. I’s really intrigued and wondering what’s going on.

• Ray says:

Don’t bother. Its from M. Night Shyamalan so there’s only one way it can end; a major disappointment.

• Cobra says:

Ordinarily, I’d probably agree, except that it’s based on a novel, so it’s not like he wrote it. I’m sure he has input, but since there is source material from someone else, I’m not going to pre-judge based on the fact that it’s Shyamalan.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Props for that rational POV. I’m gonna throw you 150 TVLine Power User Points. (No cash value)

• Cobra says:

Thanks MWM! Even though they have no cash value can I at least cash them in for a guaranteed answer to a question in AA or InsideLine!? :)

• Ray says:

Many reviews of the book seem to concur-the novel is as awful as Shyamalan’s original works.

• Cobra says:

Well, then, Ray, if I continue to watch, I suppose I’ll be the one who’s disappointed, and not you. But thanks for playing, anyway. Hope you’re enjoying whatever show you’ve found to watch over the summer season!

• Drew says:

Hey, I like Shyamalan. He has some great movies. Usually, you just need to know how yo watch them… The Happening is better if you turn down the color and watch it in black and white. Signs is better if you let go of the idea that it is about space aliens and look at them as demons.
        The truth of his movies isn’t always what the characters in the movie say… Which sounds like a nonsensical sentence, but it does make sense.

• Annie says:

Not really, he’s not the show runner or the creator, even though they have been using his name to promote the show.

• c says:

Signs and Sixth Sense weren’t so bad…..

2. Ed says:

After this episode, I’m out. This show is so dumb. The acting is over the top, and the plot is just silly.

3. Annie says:

The second episode was a lot better than the pilot. Even though I still don’t care about the characters, the pace made I’m interested in seeing what happens next.

4. Drew says:

Another solid episode. Knowing that it is a limited run series that won’t be stretched beyond the breaking point makes it a lot better. The mystery is strong so far. I’m just worried that they’re going to Life on Mars the ending.

5. I love this show! I hope BeverLy isn’t dead though. That would be AWFUL! and Burke would have no allies!

• Annie says:

I don’t buy that she’s dead, or that she was 100% trustworthy. I have a feeling that the whole thing was staged in order to let Burke know that he can’t escape.

• Sara says:

Me too. I was thinking she was a plant to gain his trust and report on him and they “killed” her to stress the rules to him when he got too close to escaping.

6. AngelWasHere says:

Hmm…I can’t help, but think Wayward Pines clones their citizens and Beverly will be back. Just a theory of mine. Either that or they’re robots. :P

7. pamela says:

Hopefully bev isn’t dead I like ms lewis in this show.

8. dude says:

Man, I can’t believe they killed off Juliette Lewis already

9. LV Sunny says:

It’s like watching season 1 of Under the Dome all over again. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. treat1977 says:

I’m wondering if the twist is going to be similar to shutter island with a little saw sin redemption thrown in for good measure? Looking forward to the truth, I too was dismayed by the death of Beverly!

• Ivan says:

Me too. The doctor kept trying to punch a hole in his head. I guess everything is in his imagination.

• Cobra says:

I think the issue with that theory though is that we’ve seen external evidence confirming that he works for the Secret Service and that he and Kate were both outside of the town within the past five weeks and not the 12 years Kate claims she has been there. E.g. his wife and son, his boss, etc.
      In “Shutter Island” there was never any external confirmation of Teddy’s claims.
      I can see some similarities and how you may draw some parallels, but I don’t think such a twist could work given the information we’ve already received.

11. jay says:

why would you state on your headline what happens in the show what if people hadn’t seen it like myself?

What kind of jerk thing to do is that? I am going to file a complaint to Google to remove your searches because of what you do in your headline!

12. Imzadi says:

I may be totally wrong, but I think they faked Beverly’s death for Ethan’s benefit. I’m sure she is a big part of this and the slip about her daughter was deliberate.

13. herman1959 says:

Beverly’s death threw me for a loop, until I realized that it didn’t make sense to get rid of Juliette Lewis that quickly. There must be some kind of huge government conspiracy involved, and I’ll be sticking around to see what it is. Melissa Leo is chilling as Nurse Pam.

14. Jared says:

Was that really the end of Juliette Lewis’s character?!? I loved her on Wayward Pines and thought she would be around at least a little while longer.

15. Denise says:

I was really liking the show until they killed off Juliette Lewis. I have always liked her and enjoyed seeing her and Matt together. Not sure if I will keep watching…..

16. Michelle says:

Maybe I missed it but has Ethan asked about the partner he was driving with and suppossedly died?

• Simon says:

He asked the creepy nurse in the first episode, she said he “didn’t make it”

No further information since, I think

17. Laurie says:

I really love the show, but oh man! They had to kill off Juliette Lewis already? I love her, she was my favorite character in the show and she’s in far too few movies or TV. What a shame! Since it’s a mysterious crazy town, I’m sure it would be possible to bring her back to life, right?

• KCC says:

Neither Beverly nor Bill Evans are dead. They were “killed” as a way to convince Ethan and Kate not to asked too many questions. Ethan identified Bill Evans by his wallet not because he recognized the rotting corpse. And why was it left in an abandoned house tied to a bed if he was killed by Sheriff Pope in the town square except for Ethan to find. This whole town is either a government operation or corporate experiment or both. Something about mind control or some kind of WITSEC alternative. I’ll continue watching until they reveal what’s going on, then continue only if I’m curious about the character’s fates.

18. Althea72 says:

NOT HAPPY ABOUT BEVERLY!!! Not one bit!!