Ratings: Modern Family, black-ish End Seasons on a Low Note

Modern Family Ratings Low

On this final night of May sweeps….

ABC’s Modern Family closed Season 6 with 7.1 million total viewers and a 2.2 rating, slipping 12 and 19 percent week-to-week, hitting a series low in the demo, and down 32 and 40 percent from its previous finale.

Leading out of that, black-ish‘s freshman finale did 5.4 mil and a 1.6, slipping 11 and 20 percent week-to-week (to a season low) and down a full half from its strong September debut.

Bookending the ABC sitcoms, the 500 Questions premiere did 5 mil and a 1.2 and Celebrity Wife Swap (3.3 mil/1.0) matched its previous opener.

Elsewhere….

CBS | Survivor (9.7 mil/2.2) dipped a tenth from last week and was down two tenths from its previous finale; the reunion show retained 7.5 mil/1.8.

NBC | Mysteries of Laura (7.3 mil/1.1) rose 18 percent and a tenth, but versus its September time slot premiere was down 27 percent. The SVU (7.2 mil/1.4) and Chicago PD (7.2 mil/1.4) finales each slipped two tenths, with the latter tying a series low.

THE CW | Supernatural (1.8 mil/0.7) was steady week-to-week but down sharply from its previous finale (2.3 mil/1.1), which aired on a Tuesday.

FOX | MasterChef returned to 3.3 mil and a 1.2, ticking down from its previous premiere.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

What a way to end the 2014-15 TV season on a high note. Guess people are going to wait all Summer long to think about which new shows they’re most looking forward to just by watching the trailers.

• Network says:

What high note? Almost everything here is at series lows. Also, what else are people going to do about fall shoes during the summer?

• Mr. Tran K says:

What are you complaining about? You’re acting like a so-called conspiracy theorist. Told you guys before I ALWAYS HATE COMPLAINERS. Stop making more excuses in front of my face and IGNORED about the things I’ve said because I tell the truth in my own words. You’re such a hypocrite Network. :-(

2. Boiler says:

ABC programming continues to show how dumb they are by not finishing all their Wed comedies on the same night. Too bad as I thought Modern Family was really good last night. I can’t believe 3.3 million people wasted an hour watching Wife Swap. It is the only show lower in the gutter than Bachelor/Bachelorette.

• dan says:

I thought last week’s Modern Family was the season finale. I kept wondering “why aren’t they showing Alex’s high school graduation?” Then a few days ago I noticed that the season finale was this week against Survivor. Bad idea ABC.

3. Susannah says:

It’s hard to know when shows debut and when the finales are because they vary so much from show to show. Last week was Goldberg’s finale but this week is Black-ish, so if it wasn’t for my DVR picking it up I would have missed out on Black-is as I thought they all ended last week.

4. Sally McLinn says:

I couldn’t watch Blackish and its reinvisioning of Black entertainment/the Cotton Club or whatever they were talking about. And now Blackish is having “guest” stars drop in like P Diddy and Mary J Blige, so I guess this is going to be a common thing with the show — just like Empire has celebs drop in cameos.

5. Tori says:

Is NBC ever going to get quality programming or???

• Mr Zero TV says:

What about ‘Biggest Loser’? And then there’s always Dateline. Oh, I see, right. You mean programming that people actually want to watch. Well, sure if we use that criteria to judge a network, okay NBC fails. I was thinking ‘quality’ was anything better than a ‘test pattern’ being shown 24×7. Using *that* criteria…. ok, maybe NBC fails that one too.

6. Ralph says:

I still enjoy Modern Family, but could the “Robot Phil” gag have been any more ripped off from the “Robot Sheldon” from Big Bang s few years ago??!!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Actually, the acclaimed GOOD WIFE has done that too…. Not so much anyone “ripping off” but simply multiple shows latching onto the came tech gizmo…

7. Erika says:

Should we conserned about 2015-16 TV season ratings.I think Americans no longer watching TV these days.

• Brooke says:

Not during live broadcast times. They certainly stream and delay viewing via DVR though.

• cuius says:

Also why the advertising dollars are going to Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. The “ratings” are getting less and less relevant

8. Ellinas78 says:

500 questions was such a waste of time. Annoying host, and not really “geniuses” just people that need to know a lot of random trivia. It would be good if they had some (any) personality.

• Ann says:

I agree. I was looking forward to it because it was a Mark Burnett show and had trivia. The trivia stuff is okay. I like random, useless trivia. However, I can’t stand the host. He is awful. Who is he anyways? Is he known here in the US? Looks like the executive producers were too lazy to find a good host someone without an annoying British accent and just casted the guy who probably hosted the show in England. A word of advice to future game show producers…or any reality tv producers…Do not cast a host with an annoying British accent to host a US game or reality show…it just doesn’t work for US viewers. The only time you do host someone with a British accent is if you intentionally want viewers to be annoyed or hate the host, like Anne Robinson of The Weakest Link. She was a great host, perfect for the type of show they were doing.

9. Love blackish, but thought the finale was surprisingly bad.

• Allison says:

I agree, I thought it was bar far the weakest episode of the season. I can’t remember if I even laughed at all and I usually laugh multiple times throughout that show. They should have just done a regular episode instead of trying to get “cute” for their finale.

10. Jake L. says:

Modern Family and Black-ish obviously would have been higher had these episodes run last week in tandem with The Middle and The Goldbergs. There were a few weeks in April where Modern Family was a rerun and nothing else on ABC’s lineup was, and then a double-pump of Goldbergs in the Black-ish slot, which was probably designed to allow these two shows to have leftover episodes to sign off on the final night of sweeps. But that was clearly a bad idea, since lots of people seemed to think the finales were last week. End everything at once next year, ABC.

11. Kathy Felps says:

I used to Love Modern Family but this season was a HUGE disappointment. Does Apple sponsor this show?

12. Nicole says:

Why doesn’t abc run their wed night comedies on the same schedule? Is it in hopes that if one episode is new that night people will turn in as well for the reruns? It doesn’t seem to make sense

13. Ally Oop says:

I think Blackish suffered from being opposite Empire midseason and it never recovered. The same situation will likely play out next season as the scheduling remains the shame.

14. Will says:

Blackish turned me off after that political episode of Republicans and Democrats. Using light-skinned blacks with straight hair enforced that stereotype. If blacks only knew the origins of the Democrat party. The finale was so boring. Won’t be in for next season.