Chicago P.D. Finale Recap: Moving Backwards and Forwards

Chicago PD Season 2 Finale Recap

Wednesday’s season finale of Chicago P.D. was quite a downer for one member of Intelligence. But for three others, there was much to celebrate.

After taking down some dirty cops, Lindsay is forced to undergo a drug test since she shot one of the officers. She never goes through with it though because she knows it will come back positive. She tries to play it off with Voight as a night of drunken fun — maybe somebody slipped her something, she suggests. He initially tries to cover for her, proposing that he could backdate a prescription for depression. Regardless, she’s still off the case.

Lindsay continues to sink further into her hole, even as Halstead offers his support. “Know that I am looking out for you,” he tells her. “Whatever you’ve got going on upstairs, you’ve got to face it head-on.”

When Voight tracks her down at Bunny’s place of work, Lindsay appears defeated. “I was born into bad news and I can’t seem to get away from it,” she sighs. “The people that I care about the most end up getting hurt.”

Bunny tells him her daughter needs some space, but Voight orders Lindsay to get up and go to work. Instead, she turns in her badge and declares, “I quit.”

Elsewhere in the episode:

* It’s happier times for Ruzek and Burgess, who get engaged in surprisingly low-key fashion after he leaves the ring box in her locker. “I want to spend the rest of my life with you,” he declares. “You and I are frickin’ awesome together. I know this is quick, but I don’t care. I love you.” She, of course, accepts, but I have to admit, I was expecting a more romantic question-popping. The word “frickin'” never belongs in a proposal.

* After saving Lindsay’s life, Atwater gets bumped back up to Intelligence.

* Olinsky finds out he has a (juvenile delinquent?) teenage daughter (played by Supernatural/Mad Men guest star Madison McLaughlin) from a woman he was with during an undercover gig.

* Antonio gets his colleagues to invest with him in a boxing gym that once saved his life.

* End times may be upon us because the finale played like The Redemption of Hank Voight. Not only is he depicted as the positive yin to soul-sucking Bunny’s yang, but he also puts away the dirty cops who are the spitting image of his past self. Considering the concerns I had early on with centering a whole show around such a shady character, it was high time this issue was tackled.

Chicago P.D. fans, what did you think of the season ender? Did Lindsay’s downfall bum you out? Was Ruzek’s proposal sweet or a bit of a letdown? Grade the episode via the poll below, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Lindsey says:

This whole show so far has been Halstead – less in regards to an actually story line and that’s a shame.

• Dude says:

Do you mean Lindsay? Cause Halstead got like two scenes. I personally love it. She’s their best character and actor and I’m glad she’s getting meaty material worthy of her.

• Lindsey says:

No I mean…this whole show is about Lindsay and it’s kind of annoying. They’ve only really hinted at his back story for 2 seasons. I like Lindsay(and the actress) but I like the other characters as well.

• Pattybelle says:

Oh so the other characters are not worthy of any meaty material right? They are all bad actors/characters cause they are not Erin/sophia right?

2. m3rcnate says:

Haven’t watch the episode yet, but can we all agree to single out these other cops as “dirty” is HILARIOUS?
    “Intelligence” routinely breaks the law, civilians constitutional rights are abused, and more. Basically everyone but the newest guys and gal have done something dirty, and once you got dirty you can get clean unless you confess, in which case you get fired. By staying on the job while on drugs Lindsay is a dirty cop. The stuff the boss has done (torture, unlawful imprisonment, threats, illegal search and seizures, etc) is DIRTY as hell (let alone what he did to Casey when introduced). Lindsay from the get go would never be a cop with her drug/hooking history, let alone her doing everything her boss has done as well. The other cop who is the bosses age has done it all + taken a guy to “the spot” to murder/assassinate him for hurting his family, etc.
    So the idea that these are anything but HORRIBLE, DISGUSTING cops that if real we would want in prison even more than the racist/dirty cops we have seen lately on the news is insane. What blows my mind more is Ms. Social warrior Sophia Bush (who i like) tweets so much about how great of cops they are and how she loves the show etc…yet for WAAAAAAAAAAAAY less she tweets about the cops who sent racist emails should be fired. I get its entertainment but who wants to watch cops be dirty and break our constitutional rights? Hits a little too close to him (aka its happening too much in the real world).

• Rachel says:

Could not agree with you more. My husband and I jokingly refer to Chicago P.D. as “Police Brutality: The TV Series” in our home. We mostly watch through it because we watch Chicago Fire and don’t want to miss things with those characters.

• m3rcnate says:

Lol amen. Its sad that its this way with pretty much every cop show. I mean even the great “Gibbs” has gone down to Mexico and committed murder (and Abbie covered it up years later). Its sad our Police entertainment is them breaking the law and abusing our civil rights and abusing our constitutional rights. Its why i LOVED Flashpoint, it was not only entertaining but it was very realistic. The police procedure was real (after every shooting having gun taken away, investigation starting, etc) and they didnt have to pump anything up with melodrama or anything to make the show fun.
        Dont get me wrong, like everyone else a shot with a rogue cop or someone who does what “needs” to be done can be fun, but when EVERY show has cops that are being touted as heroes but in fact should be in prison and spat upon by the public…that sucks.

• Mikey88s says:

May I suggest “19-2” – a FANTASTIC Canadian cop show (English version) – this is how a dark police story should be done – everything feels realistic, with real consequences. (no hoarse-voiced leather jacket wearing kewl cops). It has superb storylines, outstanding acting. So very very underrated. If you like cop shows with heart, look for this one, you will not be disappointed.

• ncis says:

Uh Gibbs was a marine n followed orders. Then they killed the love of his life n his child so yea he went to Mexico n killed the S.O.B.. Are you telling me you wouldn’t kill someone who killed your soul mate n your child ?
          I doubt that

• m3rcnate says:

Lol who cares, he committed murder which means everything he did before then and after would be need to be reopened, he would be sent to prison, never allowed to be a cop (federal or local) again, never own a gun again (can’t legally own a firearm as a felon) and anyone that helped (Abbie) would be complicit and get charged as well.
            So we just assume now that everyone that has someone they loved murdered/killed will revenge kill in return and use “uhhh…you’d do it to” as their defense in court?

• ncis says:

Wow you are slow. When you are in team military you do as ordered. He was a sniper .he was ordered to kill someone . that someone killed his family for the fact they wanted to so yes he had every right to kill them. We live in a world with dangerous people with care for others so we do what’s necessary. Would you be against killing bin Laden or should we just have put him in jail to be able to live?
            Wake up

• Julie says:

I know I’m a little late to respond but I would assume with your screen name you watched NCIS. You are wrong – Gibbs was never ordered to take out the guy who killed his family. I love NCIS and Gibbs but m3rcnate is correct – Gibbs used his skills as a sniper to kill the guy. He found him, followed him, and then shot him. It’s the very definition of murder. It was revenge for killing his wife and daughter but murder all the same.

• Dean says:

you must really hate NBC.

• Kate says:

Southland…best cop show there ever was. End of story.

• m3rcnate says:

I do actually, but they have made shows that i love as well. Community, Chuck, Southland , maybe a few more. But yes i think this string of soap shows (Chicago Fire, PD, soon to be Med) are just that…soap operas in primetime TV’s clothing. Call me crazy but i love realistic cop/firefighter/medical drama’s like Southland, Flashpoint, Monday Mornings, etc.

• Olin says:

It is still a free country… don’t watch; and then you won’t have to come here and comp-lain. I LOVE the show and think it is the best acted action show on t.v. Don’t want them to change a thing.
          It is t.v. folks…

• Jordan says:

ACTUALLY, it is possible because my fiancée’s mother did heroin in her teens and still was able to become a cop. Lindsay got clean as a teenager and she’s 30 now, so it’s entirely possible that she was able to become a police officer.

• m3rcnate says:

Did she hook as well? I’m gonna assume no, but that + the drug addiction might take it over the top in terms on you ending up in a specialized “intelligence” branch of the police force. But who knows, either way watching this show we know basically none of the cops on the team should be allowed on the police force lol. The should all be in prison for illegal things they have done in these first 2 seasons.

3. anyone else notice there was a lot less of Antonio this season, it felt like he didn’t really get any storylines this season except for that one episode, he is my second favorite so hopefully he gets more screen time next season, also i don’t believe for one second that Lindsey is done with intellegiance

• Steven says:

I agree. Antonio seemed like a much larger part of the show last year.

• it’s funny how antonio is one of my favorites yet i can’t stand gabby from chicago fire but that probably has more to do with the actors

• rian says:

It is funny you should say this – I always disliked Antonio’s sis greatly. And I disliked the actresses characters on every other show I saw her in – good wife and the lying stuff. Maybe it has to do with her. But isn’t Dawson’s character also written as self-righteous, annoying and as a highly unreliable, disloyal girl-friend (I might not be objective, but I really see her this way)

• Tony Lang says:

Was thinking the same; glimmer of up for a Dawson storyline with the Gym thing, turned out to be there only to display Hank’s soft side.

• Pattybelle says:

How do you figure that huh? Did the writers tell you? Don’t freaking undermine a storyline when it didn’t even have enough episodes for it to be developed.

• Tony Lang says:

And yet I do! Don,t you just love freedom of speech? Let’s express my opinion wheter you like it or not!

4. has it been conifrmed yet if nadia’s position in intellegence will be replaced with someone new?

5. GaMtGrl says:

I find the Lindsay character disappointing. Her “poor, poor me – I’m bad news to everyone” attitude doesn’t show respect for what Nadia went through. Nadia had gumption. She kicked her drug habit and was making a go of her life. Too bad she didn’t survive and Lindsay get killed off.

• Gallifreyan13 says:

I completely agree , Lindsey’s storyline has been done to death in other shows . And it’s only been 2 episode and it’s already getting old. I feel like the writers don’t know what to do with some of its characters .
      That said this season has been a let down compared to last season.

• Kelli says:

I couldn’t agree more!!! I was hoping Lindsay would get killed off and they would keep Nadia. I find Erin’s character to be extremely annoying. Her poor me attitude is getting really old. When she quit I got excited for a minute. Then I realized that NBC has basically made this the Lindsay/Voight show and I knew we couldn’t be rid of her that easily. Too bad. As a side note I would like to say that I hope they don’t ever get Halstead and Lindsay back together. He deserves better.

6. D. says:

I think Bunny was asking Hank for a bullet.

7. bj says:

At least 5 of the shows I’ve watched this season have had main characters fighting addiction in the final episodes. Quite frankly it has turned me off. I don’t watch police shows or hospital shows to see addiction storylines, especially from people who carry a scalpel or a gun. If this means we’ll be following Lindsay’s downward spiral next year I may reserve watching this one for the crossovers.

8. VJ says:

The episode didn´t do much for me and it wasn´t really season finale material imo (especially after that beautiful done Law & Order episode ending). And I thought the season was a little disappointing. I think it´s because they focused rather heavely on Lindsey and don´t get me wrong, I don´t have anything against that character… just a little more storylines for other characters and I´m happy.
    And they have to get the timelines straight, seriously. I love the CPD/CF crossovers, but please, do it right. I can imagine that the logistics are awful, but it´s so annoying that the time frames never seem to fit….

9. S says:

The character of Burgess is such a mystery to me, mainly why she’s a cop in the first place since in nearly every scene she comes across as a kindergarten teacher than someone I’d trust to protect me. With strong characters like Erin and Trudy, she is very out of place. I really don’t get that anyone ships her with Ruzek, so I hope they get split up next season. Lindsey is breaking my heart, and I love the evolution of Voight.

• Olin says:

Obviously, you haven’t been watching. She has been shot…risked her life in undercover… saved Roman’s butt… and last night clubbed a guy in the bar room scene. She is tough, loyal and good looking. Who could ask for anything more.

10. kn1231 says:

Wasn’t going to watch this episode until I heard that Burgess & Ruzek got engaged! Love that at least one couple in the Chicago universe is stable and happy! I also love those two together, but with Burgess in Intelligence now (I assume she’ll stay) I see that becoming a huge issue with them (which could lead to places I don’t want to discuss).

11. dee dee says:

I love the show I watch it every week!

12. suzybel58 says:

I did not like the way this ended. Lindsay handing in her badge and hooking up with her sleazy mother. I am looking forward to next season, but we need more Halstead.

13. Koda says:

I don’t care much for the Burgess/Ruzek storyline and both characters annoy/bore me quite a bit, but it is sort of nice to see Burgess growing as a cop and testing out the waters in Intelligence. I am mostly bored of the Lindsay storyline, as others have said it is extremely predictable and repetitive. Just like when she left for a better job, she will be back. I am extremely upset about how Nadia’s story was cut short, I absolutely loved her relationship with Platt and the other connections she was making with those in Intelligence. She had a great story ahead of her with a lot of potential. I’m hoping there will be another character like Nadia or Lindsay, someone Voight can take under his wing. He’d need it in a time like this (and no, not another person who takes advantage of him like Justin’s girlfriend/possible-fiance). It’s nice to see him be open and trusting, not a constant rock. More Antonio would be great, his storyline didn’t extend too far this season. It ended in a place with a lot of stories open for next season, I can’t wait!

14. Cindy Aragon says:

Chicago PD needs to continue.
    What’s the problem ? You get a good show and you kill it! Big big mistake. Give the people what they want to see!
    Not too many good shows on KNBC 4 know when you have a good show going. Keep it!