Post Mortems

Brooklyn Nine-Nine Cast, EPs Talk [Spoiler]'s New Gig — Plus: Where Do Jake and Amy Go From Here?

Brooklyn Nine-Nine Season 2 Finale

The following post mortem contains spoilers for the Season 2 finale of Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

O Captain, my captain… you got played.

Despite his best efforts to get the upper hand over rival Madeline Wuntch (Kyra Sedgwick) in Sunday’s Brooklyn Nine-Nine season finale, Captain Holt was forced to leave the precinct behind and take a desk job in the NYPD Public Relations Department.

Long story short: After Holt unearthed an incriminating letter that Wuntch once wrote, Wuntch fired back by threatening to make all the 99 cops miserable if Holt showed the letter to anyone— a risk the captain was not willing to take.

But if you’re nervous that Andre Braugher’s fearless leader is off the show for good, we can put those worries to rest. “You’ll see him in the first episode [of Season 3]. You just won’t see him in the precinct,” co-showrunner Mike Schur tells TVLine. “The thing about those moves is you have to commit to them. They have to matter. You can’t just come back and go, ‘I change my mind!’ There will be some amount of time where he’s in a different world than the world of the precinct.”

That’s not to say Schur and co-showrunner Dan Goor actually know how Holt’s new job will play out. As they begin to write the first scripts of Season 3, Goor says, “Our philosophy has always been to write ourselves into the hardest corner to get out of, and then spend the off-season trying to figure out what to do. That seemed like an exciting corner to put ourselves in.”

The same brand of logic was applied to Jake and Amy’s undercover assignment, which led to not one, not two, but three long-awaited kisses — the last of which happened as “Jake and Amy,” not “Johnny and Dora.”

Brooklyn Nine-Nine Season 2 Finale“It’s something we never wanted to rush,” Goor says of the pair’s milestone. “As we saw the season unfold, it felt more and more natural to head them in that direction. We just kept our eyes open and felt this would be an exciting thing to do, and that it wouldn’t feel pushed.”

Still, Andy Samberg and Melissa Fumero recognize the potential for their characters to get cold feet when the Fox comedy returns. “They’re partners and they’re good friends, and their desks are next to each other,” notes Fumero. “That’s really intimidating for Amy if it doesn’t work out, which is, of course, a possibility. That’s definitely going to be a major conflict.”

Adds Samberg: “I would assume [Jake] thinks it’s going to continue in some way, shape or form. But the way they’ve been, it might be immediately, ‘Oh, this was a mistake.’ Or it’ll be like, ‘It’s on.'”

As for some of the other developments in Brooklyn‘s season-ender…

* Even though Boyle/Diaz ‘shippers might read into the sweet birthday surprise that Charles planned for Rosa, Joe Lo Truglio swears there were no romantic undertones in his character’s gift. “In this case, he’s being a good friend,” he explains. “I think, as with Rosa, Charles has feelings that he doesn’t even know or won’t admit. I want to see Rosa and Charles develop a very good friendship first. And then from there, we can see what happens.”

* Now that Gina has chosen to follow Holt to the world of NYPD public relations (“She really is ride-or-die for Captain Holt,” Chelsea Peretti says), the actress would like to explore Gina’s love life in Season 3 — even if it’s a bit unorthodox. “Once, I was fired from an internship because I basically treated it like it was my home office, and I set up shop way too hard,” Peretti recalls with a laugh. “Something like that would be funny, like [Gina] gets a little too comfortable having her lover in the office.”

* Not even Schur and Goor know who will be standing on the other side of that elevator door when Season 3 begins, but they have plenty of actors in mind to play the precinct’s new captain. “We literally sent an e-mail to our casting director, saying, ‘Check on the following availabilities,’ and the list was four pages long,” Schur says. As for Samberg, he had only one (tongue-in-cheek) casting suggestion: “I said Bill Clinton or I walk. And they said to enjoy my life.”

Brooklyn Nine-Nine fans, what did you think of the eventful finale? Grade the episode in our poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice.

1. Shaun says:

Nice episode,just wish it was a bit funnier.

2. Ed says:

anyone see the parallels in the story arc to The Office?

• murley says:

It did make me think of the Michael Scott paper company arc but only in the sense that I was thinking about how awesome and well executed that storyline turned out to be. I love that they took a big risk and that I can have complete faith that they will pull it off really well. Same with the Jake and Amy story. They have more than proven they can write couples together well. Loved the finale and I can’t wait for next season.

• Ed says:

Jake and Amy = new Jim and Pam?

I also hope Holt and Gina has a multi-episode arc in PR, and not just for 1-2 episodes

3. Tea says:

James Spader? Will Arnett? Steve Carell?

I joke. It should be Tim Heidecker.

• Patrick says:

Nick Offerman. They should hire a guy to play the new captain as someone who is great at his job, and is very gruff but supportive, but who everyone hates for no reason. Like, it should be obvious to viewers that he is great, but the people just don’t get it.

4. davido says:

Christopher Walken, or I’m walkin’.

Great episode, great season, BB99 has the best ensemble cast on TV right now. Can’t wait until it returns in the fall.

5. Pretty decent episode, and honestly if the show had sadly ended here it wouldn’t have been too a bad a note to go out on. That said I am of course SUPER glad it’s not the end and looking forward to seeing the new season, and of course the new captain.

6. KS says:

Jon Hamm is free! He could be their suave new captain.

7. rachelle says:

I love, love, love this show! I rewound the Jake/Amy scenes so many times….. Fumero and Samberg have fire chemistry.

8. I want Ron Perlman or J.K. Simmons

9. Mike says:

Nick offerman for new captain

10. JB says:

Dennis Franz?

11. Chuck says:

Bull Hader needs to be the new captain

12. Maxsmom says:

I have come to enjoy these characters so much that I am going to miss them over the summer. I love Andre Braugher and Kyra Sedgwick and now I know I love them together even more. As for the new captain, Andy’s suggestion made me think: Darrell Hammond.

13. rich jackson says:

J K Simmons

14. B says:

Please be Will Ferrell, please PLEASE be Will Ferrell. I loved DeAngelo Vickers in The Office!

15. NJMark says:

If he weren’t so old by now, I’d say Hal Linden for the captain.

16. Bambi says:

I’m gonna call it now and say that the new captain is Teddy because he got a promotion. I do love Jake and Amy though!!!

17. John NYC says:

Alana de La Garza.

Though she’d deserve more than the temporary gig I suspect this will be until Holtz returns somehow.

18. Love the writing,this show always makes me laugh out loud,hope the writing stays funny and show will be on for many seasons to come.

19. How about Laurie Metcalf for new captain,her show is being cancelled and she’s a funny actor,maybe she and Kyra Sedgwick’s character can have some tension between them..just an idea.

• John NYC says:

Interesting choice! I like her comedy, the one hesitation is she also delivers great deadpan humor so there’d be the temptation to too closely follow how Holt was played?

• Mike says:

Oh good idea. She is funny and would be a good fit.

20. Bill says:

I liked the show I did not like the ending with the captain leaving. Why ruin a good thing.

21. Greg says:

Christopher Meloni.

22. Brian says:

The new captain should be the Rock!!!

23. Winnie says:

I’ve been wishing Kevin Bacon would do a cameo in the 99 for quite awhile (but have wondered if he and Kyra try to keep TV roles separate), but I think whoever they get will be great/perfect!

24. Mike says:

We love this show! Not many shows actually make me laugh or play back things that are said, but this one does.

25. Phil 47 says:

Amazing finale super excited to see the reveal of the new captain so happy to read just moments after almost crying that holt and gina are staying in the show and as for jake and amy’s kiss it looked so passionate it was amazing to watch as the tension and excitement has been leading up to that kiss i hope they stay together although i can see it interfering with they’re police work but im so happy and excited for season 3 now.

26. Weirdo says:

Rarely do shows these days leave me actually caring about what happens in the finale. This had me jumping forward in my chair like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! Super stoked.

27. Allie says:

Love this show. Really wish Captain Holt isn’t leaving permanently, but would be funny to see some of the trial captains (of course none of them would last because no one can replace Holt!). The chemistry between the casts on this show is amazing, I really can’t imagine anyone being replaced. Can’t wait to see Jake/Amy relationship at the next level, will he meet all her brothers?!

28. Rafi says:

This show is so amazing!! I’ve played the Jake/Amy scènes so many times. As for season 3, I hope Gina and Holt will keep their roles in the show. Gina is 1 of the members that make Brooklyn nine-nine such an amazing show!

29. Juan says:

New captain…..Dennis leary…(mic drop)

30. Christina says:

Keep Jake and Amy together at all costs, they are magic.

31. Sean Follett says:

Honestly Amy and jake need to date and be the quirky weird couple in the precinct we already have the bromances of scully and Hitchcock and jake and Boyle and even sergeant jefferds and jake basically everyone has a bromance with jake so keep it alive and make them date

32. David says:

I nearly cryed when holt had emotion like he is funny for being an emotionless robot. i hope he and gina have a good few episodes in season 3 then holt makes a return as the captain at the end of season 3. as for amy and jake there needs to be a event where amy relises how much she loves him by jake getting shot and saving amy from getting shot. feel free to use that producers should you so wish.

33. B99 says:

All these people suggesting below me are missing one point, why can’t it be a girl captain? There are a lot of actresses with great comedy chops