Mindy Project Renewed for Super-Sized Season 4 at Hulu After Fox Cancellation

The Mindy Project Renewed

Lahiri-lujah!

As expected, Hulu has salvaged The Mindy Project from Fox’s scrap heap, ordering a super-sized, 26-episode fourth season of the acclaimed comedy.

Fox cancelled the Mindy Kaling-fronted sitcom after three seasons on May 6. By then, Universal TV — which owns Mindy Project and saw the writing on the wall at Fox —  had already begun talks with Hulu about a pickup.

“I am thrilled The Mindy Project has found a new home on Hulu, where so many of our fans are already watching the show,” said Kaling in a statement. “It’s such an exciting place to be.”

Hulu is currently the exclusive streaming home to all past episodes of the series. A premiere date for Season 4 is TBD.

1. Ron says:

YAAAASSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! SO FREAKING EXCITED!!!

• thanks hulu for saving this show she is so funny and very entertaining your loss nbc to bad will be watchin for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• CJ says:

Actually it’s NBC’s gain since they produce the show. It’s Fox’s loss.

• Are you saying that this is actually an intelligent decision by NBC? They’re not known for that lately.

• CJ says:

Surprisingly, yes. They would have been fools not to try and find a new home for the show, and Hulu was the most logical landing place for it since it’s the only place where the show has been streamed. They were very proactive in making sure they could make this happen. Not to mention that Hulu is jointly-owned by NBCUniversal, Fox, and ABC, which makes it a win for them all around.

• tmpfan says:

All 3 past seasons are available on Netflix Canada, but I realized from the comments below, not in the US.

2. StephonJS says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

3. asm says:

YES YES YES!!! Happy dance!

4. Timm says:

Wonderful news!

5. jessica says:

best news ever!

6. AJ says:

best news this week!!!!!

7. Gail P says:

Woooooo hooooooo!!! Thanks Hulu!!!

8. cesar says:

This just put a little sunshine in my already dark day!!

9. Boiler says:

Great it is going on somewhere but as I refuse to pay for TV over and above my cable bill, best wishes to it. I will miss the show but won’t follow it to HULU

• rawley says:

I know, $8, that’s like, two whole cups of coffee at Starbucks! Such a ripoff!

(sarcasm)

• Dude says:

Two whole cups of coffee for 13 hours of entertainment. Seems pretty fair to me.

• JB says:

That’s 8 dollars a month, I presume. I doubt if they’ll drop all 26 episodes in one month. So to watch the entire season will be 8 X 6 or 7…so $48-56.
          That’s a lot for a good, but not great, sitcom.

• Boiler says:

Gotta draw the line somewhere guys. This happens to be where I draw it.

• Molly says:

Especially for Hulu. Paying for Netflix is one thing: you’re paying for ad-free content. Paying for Hulu you’re paying for a service AND STILL HAVE ADS. It’s disgusting.

• Brooke says:

You pay for cable and get commercials there. Why does everyone expect to be able to get so much for so little? How do you think these shows get the money to get produced in the first place? If you want to consume entertainment – whether it’s movies, music, television, books, etc – you have to pay for it.

• Lizzie says:

Why would you give up on it? Hulu makes it available for free after 1 weeks. That policy stands. So if they are going to release it on a week to week bases you will just be a week behind.

• Reality says:

That’s their policy for certain shows that air on broadcast TV. TMP season 4 will be a Hulu Plus exclusive and those are never available for free.

• Laura says:

I’ve never watched a series on Hulu, but if they release them all at one time (like Netflix), a lot of time they offer a 1 week free trial where you can binge watch things like this. Just a thought!

• A fan of TV says:

Them cut your cable and spend WAY less every month exclusively using streaming services.

10. Jason Paul says:

I need my dancing Danny. Yay

11. steven says:

So when is Yahoo going to renew Community?

• Jordan says:

I don’t think they’re going to. No idea what the views are but I imagine it would be damn near impossible to get most of the cast to resign. Better they focus on the movie anyway

12. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Katie T says:

YEEEEEEEEESSSSS!! Absolutely brilliant news!

14. Ames says:

I’m finally catching up on the final episodes from last season. I don’t mind that Mindy is pregnant, but the way they’ve been writing her pregnancy seems lazy to me. For instance, Danny doesn’t have to read a book to know that Mindy drinking coffee may be bad for the baby. Isn’t this their actual jobs to help people along in their pregnancies and to deliver babies? Mindy should now know what she can/can’t eat. None of these issues should come as a shock to them now that they’re pregnant. I think at this point, the fact that they are doctors is a moot point. They could really be working in any type office in any field and it could be the same show.

15. knd24 says:

BEST NEWS EVER!!!! Woohoo!!!!

16. Betty says:

I am on board, and SO excited. Love, love, love this show!!!!

17. Rebecca Parker says:

Yes! Signing up for Hulu today to support them!

18. Mare says:

YAY! All the actors are back too?

19. Maria says:

I’ve never seen this show, but as a Forever fan I know how it feels to get your favorite show cancelled. So congrats to the Mindy fans out there!

• Ani says:

That’s really kind of you. Sorry about your show :( You never know though-I loved The Killing and it was cancelled and resurrected TWICE! Lol.

I am super psyched about Mindy-you should give the show a go, it’s super funny and quirky :)

• Fran says:

I’m with you. The canceled shows I like never get this lucky but I’m still happy for Mindy fans. It sucks when shows you like get canceled so its great to see that some get the chance to live on.

20. Aly says:

Yessssss! Best pre-birthday present ever!!

21. Amanda says:

I’m am literally dancing in my cubicle at work….I just squealed as well! Hopefully they don’t put all the episodes on at once, cause thus fool right here would bing watch the whole season!
    Now if Hulu would only save Selfie, I actually liked that show!

• Ani says:

Hopefully they DO put the shows on at once! Though the downside to that is watching them all in one weekend, and having to wait a whole year for new eps! And yes to Selfie!

22. rkar7 says:

Great news!

23. GuessWhat says:

Maybe I’ve missed an article on the topic — but has anyone seen ANYTHING on how ‘COMMUNITY’ has done on Yahoo Screen? Is there any data on that? That small fan base was soooooooo loud…but once the show hit Yahoo, I have not heard a blip. No buzz whatsoever. Just curious as here’s another show following that model.

24. Libby says:

Hope “The Mindy Project” has better luck on Hulu than “All My Children”” did

• Dude says:

That was totally different.

• Mary says:

All my children wasn’t on Hulu. It didn’t have a built in online viewership. They actually changed the way soaps were watched and streaming of primetime shows the newest thing almost all the top shows are streamed. It’s what HBO was in the early 2000.

Soaps were never going to be that. Not to mention the online soaps tried to evolve and make the shows more relevant from what I read and all the fans did was scream that it was what it use to be. Kind of on them.

25. Tallee says:

HAPPY DANCE!!!

26. Maan says:

Gaaaaah! Cant freakin wait!!! Super lurve this series

27. KSM says:

Yay! I will actually get Hulu to keep watching this show!

28. herman1959 says:

Great news, this seems perfect for hulu anyway. I’ve only seen a couple of episodes, but now I’m going to start watching from the beginning – I’ll need something to watch now that ALL of my usual network shows are going to finale.

29. Linds says:

In Canada we get all the past seasons on Netflix so hopefully the new season shows up there for us at some point.

30. sara says:

Yaaaayyyyyy

31. Meh says:

Woohoo! Oh Happy day!

32. Dude says:

The caption on the main page says , “The axed NBC comedy” I know it was owned by NBC but it was on FOX so that’s a little confusing, especially since it was FOX that axed it.

33. Misty harrod says:

Thank god for Mindy project! I discovered it this year and have loved it every since! Long live Mindy!

34. Jared says:

So happy now I just have to buy Hulu. but whatever it takes to see Mindy!

35. Alyssa says:

This makes me so happy. I watch a lot of my shows on HULU, even though I have cable. It’s just less commercials and more convient for me sometimes. I’m glad they picked it up. They picked it up for a reason, I think it will do well on HULU

36. A says:

yesssssss
    whrs dat person who trashed talked about TMP & said it was dead well middle finger to that

37. KC says:

Fans?? What fans!
    There’s a reason FOX cancelled it – NO ONE is watching.

• Francesca says:

They were watching it on Hulu. Hulu certainly has access to their own viewing information.

• 'A' Has Been Revived says:

Actually, people were watching it. It was getting 2 mil a week (yes low, but New Girl was around the same, just a higher demo).

Also, MANY people were streaming it on Hulu which is why they renewed it.

38. Allee says:

So so happy! This is one of the few smart comedies left and most people were watching it on Hulu anyway. Smart deal for all.

39. Mary says:

Woot!

I wonder how being an online show will change the writiing (if it does), I’m thinking about how Tina Fey included more when Kimmy Schmidt moved to Netflix vs NBC.

40. Cody S. says:

Now Hulu should save Forever!

41. Anna says:

This is awesome! But I’m not surprised, since you guys said it would probably happen, and TVLine never lies to us, right?

42. dman6015 says:

Is it going to be on Hulu or Hulu Plus?

43. MM says:

Yes!!! Thank you HULU!

44. Erin B says:

Yay!!!!! I had hopes Hulu would renew it, but I never imagined we would get 26 episodes. Fantastic!

45. Carolina says:

I’m hella excited too, but are all the characters going to be there. I mean my favorite character is Mindy and I would watch her just hang out by herself and do nothing but it wouldn’t make sense at this point if Danny just disappeared.

• tmpfan says:

Chris Messina as Danny is one of the biggest draws of the show, and TMP EP’s, and the NBC & Hulu Gods all know this. So I cannot imagine a world in which they would pull that kind of a move. Why would Hulu pick up a show only to seriously endanger its viewership?

46. Stanislava says:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

47. A fan of TV says:

Since Netflix Canada has The Mindy Project’s first 3 seasons, do you know if they’ll show season 4 on it since Hulu to this point doesn’t see the value in opening up to the Canadian online marketplace? Or will this deal block Netflix from getting season four for non-Hulu markets? Should I be copy-pasting this into an email for Matt’s Inside Line?

• tmpfan says:

Good point. It comes down to what kind of a deal NBCU already has in place with Netflix Canada, and whether Hulu cares enough about it to stipulate breaking it as a condition for this one. But why should they? Hulu Plus is not available in Canada, so it’s not like the content of Netflix Canada has any impact on Hulu viewership, live or otherwise.

• Grace says:

Who has the American rights has absolutely no bearing on who has the Canadian rights.

48. Vicki says:

Michael – will there be any casting shake ups due to the change?

49. David4 says:

I can’t stand the show, but congrats to all of it’s fans. I’m guessing this brings the total episodes somewhere between 88-100?

• 'A' Has Been Revived says:

Yep, it ended with 67 episodes. With this renewal of 26 episodes, it’ll bring the show to 93 episodes. And to bring it beyond 100, they’ll renew it for a 5th season of 13-26 episodes.

50. thisismenow says: