Reign Finale Preview: EP Talks Mary's Baby Bombshell, Bash's Crisis & More

Reign Season Finale Spoilers

The arrival of Queen Elizabeth on Thursday’s Reign season finale (The CW, 9/8c) will forever shift the dynamic of the series’ main players — but that’s not the only game-changing development fans can look forward to.

In addition to finding out the truth about Mary’s (alleged) pregnancy, executive producer Laurie McCarthy tells TVLine we’ll get a “resolution” to the love triangle, we’ll see Bash’s dangerous romance “go up in flames” and we’ll see more Leith-Claude action that many fans want. (Sorry, I’m not ready to give up on him and Greer just yet!)

Read on for our full Q&A with McCarthy…

TVLINE | I’m not so quick to believe that Mary’s really pregnant. How soon into the finale will we know for sure?
You’ll know pretty quickly. The fallout of a coup is, in my mind, more dramatic than the coup itself. So that’s really what the finale is about. The audience will get resolution very quickly with Mary, Francis and Condé, and then it becomes about how you navigate, not only a failed relationship, but a failed coup. How will Mary and Francis find a way to trust each other again? You’ll get the answer as to what Condé’s fate will be, and we’ll finally meet Elizabeth.

TVLINE | The Mary-Francis-Condé triangle was kind of a gamble for the show. Were you worried that fans wouldn’t respond well to it?
I worried about it, but I couldn’t let it drive my plotting. I felt like people were going to be mad at us no matter what we did; if we just left them be happy and did political stories for them, I knew that would aggravate people, but I knew that I wanted to see what an open marriage would look like between them. That’s something we talked about as early as Season 1. I wanted to see Mary go through some struggles and come into her own.

TVLINE | Speaking of open marriages, I’ve always rooted for Bash and Kenna. What are we going to see from them, and their respective lovers, in the finale?
Kenna went for the right guy at the wrong time when her marriage dissolved with Bash. A mature way of looking at a relationship is: You might love someone very deeply, but if the subtext of every fight you have with them is “Can you be someone else?,” it’s probably not going to work out. That was at the core of a lot of their disagreements. … Kenna’s going to find herself in a very desperate position [in the finale], and she’s going to look to the person who’s always had her back, which is Bash, but it’s not going to go smoothly. And his involvement with Delphine, who’s very lovely but very strange, is going to complicate things further.

TVLINE | Oh, Delphine… What was that scene at the end of last week’s episode all about?
[Laughs] It was a binding ritual! What’s the big deal? … Bash got a little too involved with someone he doesn’t know very well, and it’s going to go up in flames in a big way. I love that character and I love that actress and we will see her again.

TVLINE | The supernatural aspect of the show felt like merely a suggestion last season. Is it more of a real thing now?
It is and it isn’t. If you look at that scene again, it’s all from her point of view. Anything that seems supernatural is coming from her. We utilize superstition and what people think they can do and what might be true or not. The most supernatural that we’ve gone is in people being able to predict the future.

TVLINE | And I know I’m not imagining things between Leith and Claude. Is it safe to root for them as a couple?
You’re definitely not imagining things; they like each other. And it is safe to root for them. I really like them together. They have great chemistry that started out like brother and sister, but the real attraction between them is going to bubble up.

TVLINE | Lastly, we’re meeting Elizabeth this week. What will she bring to the table?
She’ll expand the canvas of the show because we’ll be playing her own stories in her court. We’ll meet her at a fascinating time in her life, very early in her rule. She’s still driven by her heart, but is also an incredibly cagey, self-protective character. Her stories will bring endless complications for Mary and the members of her tribe; some of the characters who are in the Court of France, one or two of them will be temporarily moving to the Elizabethan Court. There will be a fair amount of cross-pollination there.

Reign fans, what are you hoping (and fearing) will happen Thursday? Drop a comment with your thoughts below!

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Anyone shocked that Reign is moving to Fridays @ 8 next season?

2. sam says:

This show is crazy-cakes and half the time I have no idea what’s going on!

3. Alyse says:

People are rooting for Leith and Claude? Since when? I find her character to be kinda annoying and I definitely don’t want them together.

4. Carla Krae says:

I wouldn’t be ready for a Leith/Claude thing for a while. If it happened, she’d need to earn it. He’s already had his heart broken once.
    As for Mary and Francis, I find the Season 3 description blurb released today encouraging.
    Elizabeth can be a fascinating character. She was terribly paranoid due to being a lone female ruler, but she and Queen Mary wrote several somewhat friendly letters back and forth to each other as cousins over the years, too. So I want to see the complexity of their relationship, because under different circumstances, they might’ve been allies instead of adversaries.

5. LK says:

This show has strayed way too far from historical fact at this point… time for Francis to die and Mary to move back to Scotland so the show can be retooled

• Dottie says:

This is not a docu-drama based on historical facts, it’s a fictional drama set in a time in history. We know what history tells us, it’s nice to see what might have happened if different choices were made. I’m sure the journey will touch base with fact often enough to keep it a period piece.

• Kristina says:

Exactly, I look at this as more “historical fiction” than a historical show. I’ve always liked seeing this type of thing explored; I wish people would quit harping on the “it’s not like it’s supposed to be” thing.

6. And Nothing about Lola and Narcisse…………….ugh……..

7. Lynn says:

Maybe Laurie should have worried about it more because the rape/love triangle story line ruined this season and cost the show a ton of viewers. A queen committing adultery/treason after suffering a traumatic rape is not realistic at all.

8. AddieM says:

I’d have loved more on Lola and Narcisse

9. Mm, maybe Catherine and Kenna will be going to English court? Or maybe Greer and Catherine will?

• Zoe says:

I don’t see Catherine going to English court as a remotely possible.
      Kenna is a possibility. Greer to a lesser degree.
      I would toss Claude and Leith into the mix of possibilities.

10. Molly T says:

I love this show and I don’t mind that it doesn’t follow the historical facts. I think Megan Follows is brilliant as Catherine de Medici. I’m still bummed she wasn’t nominated for an Emmy! I’m looking forward to the finale and next season!

11. James says:

Anyone interested in history knows that eventually there isn’t going to be a happy ending to this show. Personally I’m surprised it has been renewed as much as it has, obviously there’s a need out there for some historically awful soap disguised as romance.

12. Ella says:

As much as I loathe Greer right now, I do NOT want Leith to get together with Claude. Does anyone?! Who are these fans you speak of? Claude is painful at best and I haven’t quite given up on Leith/Greer just yet either. I also don’t want Francis to forgive Mary until at least mid-way through season 3. She’s been a selfish bitch this season and a total let down. Both men deserve better from their female counterparts. The only pairing I want back together sooner rather than later is Bash/Kenna – Kenna is a promiscuous, apathetic moron for the most part but one can’t blame her for wanting the finer things in life, especially when Bash is so negligent and MIA half the time. They’ve both made mistakes but they’re better together.

13. danea says:

I think the seasons have been great and I think they are doing a great job because all the difference of opinions! That is the point of this type of TV series and that’s what makes a good producer and director. I can’t wait to see the next season!

14. A says:

I WANT KENNA AND BASH BACK TOGETHER! Please Reign writers, you did such a great job creating this wonderful couple but then you ruined it by making Kenna do something stupid! If they aren’t fixed by the beginning of next season (which I’m pretty sure IS the last season), then I’m going to stop watching.

15. megan barraclough says:

In actual history Mary had a child so please let Francis live and Mary have a child. Just let Conde die and let Lola and Narcisse be together as well as Claude and Leith let Greer and Leith’s relationship be in the past it’s not worth it. Also KILL CATHERIN PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! she’s annoying and worthless to the show.

16. M.Shealy says:

I rather like that the show follows some historical timeline.. I think it is a wonderful way to teach us some parts of European History in a way we can relate too.

17. cassie says:

Since Mary lost her child with Francis, will she have another child?