Post Mortems

Elementary Boss on Sherlock's Spiral, [Spoiler]'s Season 4 Arrival and More

Elementary Season 4 Spoilers

Warning: The following contains spoilers from Thursday’s season finale of Elementary.

Where’s the nearest meeting? Because we’re the ones who need some support after Thursday night’s season finale of Elementary.

The hour went down a dark path as Sherlock was forced to work with his former drug dealer in order to rescue his friend Alfredo. Eventually, the P.I. succumbed to his nature and broke his sobriety.

While it’s a sad turn of events for all involved, the plot twist does have an upside: Joan announced that the senior Mr. Holmes was on his way to New York, so we’ll finally get to meet the mysterious figure!

“In the first season, we made a point of saying that Dad never shows up when he says he will,” executive producer Rob Doherty reminds with a laugh. “But I think it’s time. I would very much like to meet Dad and explore this very complicated dynamic that we’ve been alluding to over the last two seasons. There’s a lot to get out of a longer-term story about Sherlock and his father and everything between them.”

Read on for more scoop on Sherlock’s descent into addiction, Joan’s reaction to his relapse and Oscar’s future.

TVLINE | Talk to me a little bit about Sherlock’s state of mind at the end of the finale.
He’s certainly been through the wringer over the course of the episode and somehow, Oscar’s read on him was correct, that Sherlock could be broken down. It was, obviously, a long, dark night of the soul for Sherlock, and, ultimately, proved to be a little too much.

TVLINE | Just to clarify: When Joan says it’s been three days, does she mean three days since Alfredo was found?
Yes. So three days have passed between Sherlock disappearing into that tunnel and Joan finding him on the rooftop.

TVLINE | So, safe to say he’s been on a bender for three days?
At the top of next season, we will will explain what happened over the course of those three days, but Sherlock has not necessarily been on a bender. It’s quite possible that he returned to Joan and Gregson and Bell the same day that Alfredo was rescued.

TVLINE | But when we see him there on the roof, his expression and his appearance is quite out of sorts. Are we to take away that he has fallen off the wagon?
Yes. What we see is Sherlock dropping a phone that was his only means of communicating with Joan and then picking up Oscar’s kit and disappearing into that tunnel, which should speak volumes.

TVLINE | Sherlock finds out that Alfredo is safe, and yet he still gets high. Are Oscar’s words just that powerful?
No. As we get into Season 4, I don’t know that it’s a matter of giving Oscar all of the credit. At the end of the day, the hard, ugly truth is that Sherlock is an addict. Oscar is an addict. They couldn’t be more different in virtually every other respect, but that’s something they share. Sherlock has been in recovery. He’s done so much hard work. He has surrounded himself with only the best kinds of people, and sometimes that’s not enough. So what you see at the end of the finale is more about who Sherlock is and not what Oscar managed to do to him.

Elementary Season 4 SpoilersTVLINE | How is this going to affect Joan and Sherlock’s relationship next season? And what is her role here? She’s no longer a sober companion, so does she still feel a responsibility to him?
A relapse does not necessarily mean you have descended into the worst patterns of addiction again. Sherlock has been involved in a program for the last three years that is designed to address decisions like these. I don’t want to call it a “slip-up,” because that’s undercooking it, but it happens. It’s a sad truth about addiction — relapses are far from extraordinary. This one may feel bigger because it’s Sherlock Holmes and because, in so many respects, he’s more than any of us could hope to be. But when you get down to his flaws and his struggles with addiction, he’s just like anybody else.

TVLINE | Is there any sense of disappointment in Joan about what’s happened?
It’s sad for her. It’s difficult to see, but at the same she has experience with this sort of problem, having been a sober companion for a number of years. This is far from her first rodeo. And just to circle back around – I feel like maybe I drifted away from your specific question – what Joan cannot do and will not do is revert into a sober companion. Even as she grew into a partner and detective, she was still sensitive to Sherlock’s needs with respect to recovery, and that’ll remain the same. She’s an empathic person, she appreciates Sherlock, and she looks out for him as a friend. We’ll continue to see that, but by no means will she be taking on additional responsibilities. She’s going to do what any good friend should do and support Sherlock as he comes back from this.

TVLINE | And finally, is Oscar still alive? Or did Sherlock beat him to death?
That is something we will address in the fourth season.

TVLINE | That was a pretty brutal beating that he gave him. What do you consider worse: what Sherlock did to Oscar, or him falling off the wagon?
As just someone who loves Sherlock Holmes? I’m far more sad about him falling off the wagon. I don’t have a ton of sympathy for Oscar. I have a little, but not much.

Elementary fans, what did you think of the somber ending? Got any casting suggests for Sherlock’s father? Grade the finale via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

1. Carol C says:

Awesome, unexpected, dark, and so sad.

• Sheila says:

It comes off like Oscar broke him. Like Sherlock let Oscar win. Doherty made it look like that, despite his words in the article. Doherty missed the mark on that point.

2. Kelli says:

The only thing I liked is the guy that played Oscar plays Olivia Benson’s brother in Law & Order: SVU and they named his sister Olivia. The last minute of the episode was uncalled for and not in Sherlock’s character.

• arilua says:

I agree completely. Honestly, this felt like lazy writing to me. Sherlock is already a barely likeable character and now they are going to derail all the progress of three seasons. I’m almost disinclined to watch the next season.

• ZombieTech says:

I have to agree a bit. However, I find Sherlock to be a very likable character… or maybe it’s just the actor who plays him. He did a smash up performance in one of my old-day fave movies, “Hackers”.

It was horrible to see Sherlock fall off the wagon, and at first I was responding like, “how the heck can they leave a season finale ending like that, what is this, the original 90210 with Dilon’s drug-addiction all over again!?”. But then I got to thinking, first, I have to wonder if in Sherlock’s mind he might not feel as though, the more he fights his past, and the more he tries to be upright, clean, and righteous, possibly the more it forces his modern and newer friends into his past, to be dragged down with him (remember what Alfredo’s mother said… “I don’t want him dragging you down with him, and he wouldn’t want that either”), perhaps Sherlock feels that Alfredo was dragged down because of him, as in a reversal of roles that Sherlock finally came to realize right at the end. Further, I have to wonder and hope at a slight, REALLY COOL, possibility… if perhaps it’ll be revealed that all along, the Sherlock we got to know, was possibly and actually “Sherlock Holmes Jr.”, where his father, perhaps is THE actual and original Sherlock Holmes… it’d be awesome to see a British Sherlock Holmes come in with the same demeanor, personality, catch-phrases as the old-school Sherlock Holmes… even though, the newer Sherlock, the one that relapsed, has his own interesting and cool spin going for him as well. ^_^

• Bill says:

And while living and mirroring aspects of each other’s life, both Holmes Sr and Holmes Jr maintain separate friendships with people that have never met, yet share something in common: The name Watson.

• Russ Stover says:

I’m sure you’ve read the canon, the short stories and novels. Sherlock Holmes is and always has been hard for people in his universe to like. But readers like an acerbic personality sometimes. And on Holmes, any Holmes, it fits.

• 'Bamiyo says:

True. But, I feel we all liked Sherlock for being supernatural, right?
        The script, I’m sure, will be directed to us seeing that he’s got flaws and I’m sure somehow we’ll love him again.

The supernatural doesn’t die off like that.

• Rick Katze says:

I disagree. Sherlock is human and addiction is not an easy thing to beat. I think the ending was much more realistic than TV ever is in portraying this type of situation. And it does open season 4 to a number of stories.

• CarolMaeWY says:

If it were realistic we would have seen him shoot up and what happens to him after he shoots up. We watched him walk into a tunnel. It’s a big tease by lazy writers. Who wants to spend now until Oct. 29 wondering who papa will be?

• Julia says:

It was already mentioned in this article the first few episodes of the next season will cover what happened in those three days. To me the missing three days is the cliffhanger.

• laethyn says:

I disagree. It’s not out of character at all for Holmes.

• kika says:

totally agree with this. especially since rewatching the season it talks a lot about drugs this season offhandedly as well as having his safe haven inside meetings disrupted with the website and sherlock tends to point it out but no one asks him if he’s okay until he’s in a shooting gallery where he never actually says he’s fine just says no closer than yesterday and the fact allfredo addresses any calls in the middle of the night he’ll pick up implies he’s partial to picking up the phone and admitting he feels like using. Friends can help talk you down but if Sherlock was insisting on getting another sponsor asap then it means he’s been struggling at least a little for a while.

• Boiler says:

People want their shows to be like real life. If you are a Cory Monteith fan, Glee, everyone thought he had his addiction beat and look what happened to him. Fortunately I have had no one close go thru it but to say it makes no sense is totally wrong

• cookie says:

Boiler, u r right. I’ve been in recovery for over 25 yrs and yes its always in the back of my mind. My last coke binder was the summer of 1989, and I went to rehab and been cleaned ever since. In 2008, I had an accidental overdose of pain meds from a serious trama accident. It happens. I had to pick myself up and go forward. It’s always there in the back of ur minds.. I think what if I’m at a party and someone has some coke, would I’d be tempted, even though it’s been over 25 yrs??? My life is great now and I know I could slide backwards at any time. Sometimes, circumstances play into falling off the wagon. Just like Sherlock my heart breaks for him, he really tried to stay strong, but Oscar knew how to get to him. Ohhh, sad

• Caine says:

Sad to read about your struggles cookle although I’m glad to read that you have been clean for so long. After reading your story I feel that the shock ending has been a little easier to swallow :P Thanks again

• Amanda says:

I caught that too, about Olivia Benson. But I disagree with you about this relapse being uncalled for and out of character. We never saw Sherlock at any stage of his addiction besides recovery. As far as I’ve seen in real life most addicts relapse so it makes sense that this fictional character would. I was left with such an empty feeling though, it was just so sad.

3. sladewilson says:

Heartbreaking season finale. But to bring in Papa – it was needed. I’m guessing Alfredo will feel some responsibility for Sherlock’s relapse (even though he shouldn’t). Looking forward to next season….

4. Simon says:

I loved the season finale. Heartbreaking to see our Sherlock like that. Wonder who they will cast as Sherlocks father. One actor I can think of….Bill Nighy. Or maybe Nigel Havers.

• Data1001 says:

I immediately thought Bill Nighy would be a perfect choice for the elder Holmes, as well. GMTA. :-)

• Kelly says:

I thought of Bill Nighy too but he always appears to me to be too “academic” and too “goody two shoes” (maybe his acting in the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel was just TOO good and convincing). I always thought Sherlock’s father has to be smart and shrewd and extremely sharp but NOT in an “academic” way. I mean he’s an extremely successful businessman who’s a billionaire and he’s produced two genius sons Sherlock and Mycroft (who is supposed to be even smarter than Sherlock but he just doesn’t want to apply himself) and yet he is also very complicated and deep and perhaps a little tortured and after all those years has grown a little cold and reserved. Nigel Havers seems to be too young to be Sherlock’s father. Remember he also has to be Mycroft’s father and we saw from previous episodes, Mycroft is already balding and the father has to be at least 20 years older than that.

My choice would be Tom Wilkinson if they REALLY want to go exclusively British. Otherwise Donald Sutherland is also a good choice.

5. David says:

Incredible ending. Mr. M Miller certainly deserves an Emmy &not just got this season. I nominate Sir Michael Caine to play dear old Dad.

• Naptown says:

That’s EXACTLY who I told my wife they should cast after we watched it! I think he would be PERFECT!

• Kelly says:

Sir Michael Caine is TOO nice and warm! I always pictured Sherlock’s father to be a bit cold and reserved from what Sherlock has described him but also very controlling and manipulative, reading from Mycroft’s phone conversation with him but at the same time, extremely smart and shrewd. After he’s a billionaire businessman.

• I love Michael Caine but I was thinking Alan Rickman.

• bvd says:

Yes! Perfect! Alan Rickman would be noble, intelligent, sarcastic and dark. Everything Sherlock’s father should be, but alas, i entered the conversation too late and have now read who his father will be. I liked the actor in Fringe, as Walter, but just can’t see him as Sherlock’s dad. Rickman would have been awesome, but would have blown their budget. Oh well.

6. ZombieTech says:

I think it’d be interesting if in Season 4 we find out that the Sherlock we’ve known is perhaps actually “Sherlock Holmes Jr.”, and his father is THE actual original Sherlock Holmes… be interesting to see them bring in a British Sherlock Holmes with all the classic traits and quirks of the sleuth-detective himself… same catch-phrases and personality, etc. ^_^

• Ticardo says:

Interesting idea but I would see Sherlock’s father as Mycroft Sr. Reason is that the description of the father in 3 seasons looks more like mycroft than sherlock. Rhys was actually Mycroft Jr.

7. Ticardo says:

My list of actors for Sherlock and Mycroft’s dad:

– Peter Firth
    – Timothy Dalton
    – Jonathan Pryce
    – Peter Davison
    – Dermot Crowley
    – Paul Freeman (former moriarty)
    – Ian Holm
    – Christopher Plummer

And spectacular but impossible casting
    – David Bowie
    – Anthony Head.

• Nan says:

Add John Castle to the list for me.

• Morrocco says:

Charles Dance has the intensity and the look to nail the role as the senior Holmes…

• Kelly says:

Timothy Dalton – too young and 007???
      Jonathan Pryce – too “star like”
      Ian Holm – too short and Bilbo Baggins?

Christopher Plummer is a really good choice. I would add Armin Mueller-Stahl, Tom Wilkinson and Donald Sutherland. But my favorite No. 1 choice would Leigh Lawson. He physically looks like both Sherlock and Mycroft and has this thin chiselled and sharp look and yet has this complicated and sophisticated flair around him.

8. Ashley says:

I’ve been anticipating that we’d see him break sobriety since the pilot. I expected it to happen in the season two finale, but knew for sure it’d happen tonight once we met Oscar (and once they went back to the pilot in the recap). It’s heartbreaking as someone that relates, but I know Jonny will have such amazing material to work with next season and that excites me.

9. Meo says:

So the reason for Sherlock’s relapse is “because he’s an addict”? WORST reason ever. Sloppy writing.

I mean come on, if you really had to have him relapse at least make it because Joan et al. did not manage to find Alfredo on time/inform Sherlock in time. At least that’s more believable since in this season he overcame quite a bit and became a better person. Heck this season he even gave some awesome advice to Joan and Markus. He even made friends (Alfredo & Markus), now he’s tossing that down the drain?

• Renee says:

Exactly

• JP says:

Wow – some folks folks need to attend an Addiction 101 class !

• hahaha seriously! Addiction doesn’t require some grand event to spawn a relapse, even Sherlock mentioned it in an episode, but besides that, being taken through a slideshow of all your past junkie memories as someone who is struggling with sobriety IS ENOUGH TO MAKE SOMEONE SLIP UP. they are called triggers for a reason. Oscar made sure he was flooded with memories, smells, thoughts, and visuals of his addiction.
          Furthermore, if you are going to whine about the show, at least spell the character’s names right. It’s MARCUS.
          The Elementary writers are some of the best writers in television today. Their attention to detail is commendable.

• Ellen says:

Yes. That is whole point of addiction. It can only take seeing it again to relapse.

• CarolMaeWY says:

Oh every addict is alike?

• Naptown says:

Yes!! Thank you!! I’ve read a couple of different forums about this episode and on each one there are so many people who are obviously oblivious about addiction!

• msemmyjones says:

“Because you’re an addict” is always the reason someone relapses. Sure, there are triggers. Some triggers are big and seem to make sense to the general public, and sometimes it’s something small or something weird, but those triggers can only be blamed so much. Addicts don’t need a reason to use, even when you’re in recovery. Relapses don’t need a reason other than addiction. And truthfully, relapse is a part of recovery. Once you are a recovering addict, you are always a recovering addict. Recovery doesn’t end. And slip ups and relapses will be a part of that, for no reason at all other than because they’re an addict.

• NT says:

Exactly! One of the best aspects of this interpretation of Sherlock Homes is how much more vulnerable and flawed he can be. Unlike the British Sherlock, this one is not a cartoon-like superhero. I can relate to him because he is simply much more human. In fact, his incredible abilities are often matched and sometimes surpassed by his struggles. For an addict to need some clever and complex reason to relapse is unrealistic. This final episode truly reveals the bitter truth about addiction. It is a force that has no rhyme or reason. It is unyielding in its ability to manipulate people and it doesn’t recognize how much effort and work you may have done to avoid it. The fact that even someone like Sherlock was susceptible to a relapse was an excellent and accurate portrayal of how powerful addiction truly is.

• Amanda says:

I could not agree with you more Msemmyjones. Great points, all of them. The recovery process never ends.

• CarolMaeWY says:

So there is no hope, no reason to recover?

• msemmyjones says:

Of course there’s a reason to recover. Anyone doing their best to get clean and get sober should be encouraged, supported, and applauded. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the OPs post, nor does it have anything to do with my answer. Addiction is a disease and it is not one that one can get “cured” of. Instead, you’re in recovery. It’s not a one and done deal where you have an addiction and then you recover. No, when you get sober you still need to manage your addiction. For some people that’s keeping away from triggers. For others it’s meetings and sponsors. Either way, you’re always in recovery in some capacity. It’s never done. And slip ups and relapses happen, but they are a part of recovery.

• CarolMaeWY says:

It should be clear to a drug addict relapse is not an option. You’re suggesting a free pass for relapsing. They either stay in recovery or they die. Yes, I know more than I want to know about addiction. His father said if he relapses he his out of the Brownstone. Rob Doherty made very clear on the Baker Street Babes podcast they were not leaving the Brownstone anytime soon. There was no ambiguity about that at all. Do we think Old man has gone soft? Is Mr. Holmes really coming to see Sherlock in NYC because he has relapsed when he never supported him at Hemsdale. Family members are encouraged to be part of the process but Mr. Holmes wasn’t ever there.
            The post said if you are an addict you will relapse. So is the rest of your life relapse and recovery. No; You recover and you stay recovered or you lose your life as you know it. That is the only way to look at it. As a mother I thought of my son as dead when he was using. I couldn’t take any more relapses. If he relapses he will be dead to me again.

• Lorie says:

It was not sloppy writing. It was truthful writing. If you knew anything about addiction, you would know that even a recovering addict, because there if no cure, it can only be arrested, is put into the very situations, people, places, things, smells that they were exposed to in their “active addiction”, then you would understand that this episode portrays exactly how relapse can happen.

• CarolMaeWY says:

If this Sherlock relapsed and he’s an addict so he will relapse again and again and again because that’s what recovering addicts do I will stop watching. I am not going to watch a drug addict every week recover and relapse and tear apart his friends. I have too much respect for Lucy Liu and her character. Me thinks the addicts here are making excuses for Sherlocks relapse. With phone in hand his ride was a few minutes away and he was safely away from those sights and smells of heroin. I’m not going to feel bad for him at rejecting him at all.

10. Esha Bynum says:

The show was ok I just hope that he did relapse. It would be a waste

11. njartist says:

Addiction is never cured it has to be managed. I was hoping that Sherlock would not give in
    so hopefully those were clean needles . It will never be an easy road for Sherlock. It is
    great that CBS has decided to renew Elementary which hopefully will go on for quite a few more years. I was curious as to the premise of Sherlock Holmes living in early 21 century NYC. I have watched Elementary from episode 1. There many excellent British actors for the role of Sherlock Sr. Perhaps Sir Patrick Stuart? I hope that Mycroft returns for next season as Sherlock continues to deal with his addiction. It would interesting to see the interactions
    between Mycroft and Sherlock as works back towards sobriety.

12. Chris says:

The way the episode unfolded – the disgusted look on Sherlock’s face as he toured the shooting galleries made me think he wasn’t going to relapse. Totally disappointed by the final scene and left wondering why he would use heroine again after all successes – kinda figured his strength of character wouldn’t allow him to be pushed into using by a lowlife like Oscar. Especially considering how Oscar manipulated him, I was hoping the final scene might have been Oscar lying there with the needle stuck in his arm , and Sherlock on the roof eating popcorn with Joan with her commenting on Oscar’s “accidental” death – followed by a Sherlock-esque one liner.

• the look of disgust was actually probably him trying to mask his own discomfort. if you notice in the episode he actively avoids looking at the people shooting up, and he quickly turns his head from Oscar when he is going to. He’s trying to convince himself he is disguste, but he was clearly struggling. Like a person on a diet surrounded by people eating donuts.

• D says:

Wow, that would have been an awful finale.

• NikNak says:

I guess some of you really do not know how addiction works. Yes, to some extent it’s mind over matter, but just like everyone else who forms a bad habit, you almost will certainly have the constant urge to do it again.

How many people fall off the wagon with something as simple as a diet to only eat bad foods again? Now replace that with something that is actually addictive.

I’m disappointed too, b/c in many ways, the writers have often put Sherlock in a superhero light. As if to say he can do anything, and nothing and no one is stronger than him, mentally.

13. Stewart Ball says:

I liked season 3 a lot but the writing wasn’t quite as jam packed good as the first 2 seasons. Det. Bell and Sherlock’s falling out when Bell got shot was pretty labored. My all time top of the line episodes involved Mycroft and the several iterations of Moriarty, especially Irene. I’d rather have seen him fall off that wagon. :)

14. I just don’t buy Oscar as this conniving sort.

15. Will says:

Oscar is butt hurt because Sherlock said mean things whih inspires him to plan a kidnapping just so he can get Sherlock to relapse? Weak.

• alice says:

I think its not only that but also he’s hurting and feeling guilty over his sister’s death (where he tell sherlock that hes the one that influenced her to use). So he directs his anger to Sherlock and wants him relapse and to be as ‘dirty’ as he is to feel better about himself.

• Kalli says:

Joan said early in the ep that functioning addicts hold on to their relationships, so my read was that Oscar was trying to replace his relationships with his sister with forcing Sherlock, his only/closest friend, into taking on a similar role. That would require Sherlock to use with him.

16. Cobra says:

“Elementary” is the most consistently underrated shows on network TV. A lot of critics ignore it because it isn’t completely serialized. It has continuity and strong character development, but it doesn’t mandate viewing every episode in order the way most other shows do. I missed the penultimate episode of Season 2 due to a power outage and couldn’t catch up in time for the season finale, but the “previouslies” gave me more than enough to know what I needed to know for the finale.
    Largely, this is true to the spirit of the original Holmes stores, which were very much self-contained. They made references to past events, but they did not rely on the previous stories to enjoy one story or another.
    Thank you to TVLine for finally giving “Elementary” some much due respect. I rarely see anything about the show, even on this site.

• Boiler says:

This is a great comment. I think people automatically assume that Shonda night is the best. The performances on this show are great and certainly deserve more acclaim amd hopefully TVLine will continue this respect next season

17. Jay says:

I think Sherlock is aware that is father probably had something to play in the final events and his drug taking is a ruse to make his father believe he’s relapsed so he can confront him and scarper his plans

18. DMCo says:

I didn’t think Sherlock went on a bender and was all drugged up on the roof. I thought Joan telling him his father was on the way and Sherlock looking the way he did because the police found Oscar’s body and are charging Sherlock with murder.

• Momma bear says:

I thought the exact same thing!! She doesn’t seem phased by his appearance. If he had relapsed, there’s no way she would have left him there in his own demise for days. Daddy Holmes is coming to clean up the Oscar being dead mess. For sure.

• Sheila says:

That is a thought…oooh, what if he pretended to shoot up to have an excuse for the murder? I would prefer that story.

19. betty says:

Didn’t care for it at all. His character was uplifting to many people and to see him at the end of this episode is telling addicts, go ahead its okay to relapse. Its not okay.

• Kim B says:

Showing a relapse is condoning it?

• Keith says:

No , it’s saying there is always a chance to relapse and you are never cured

• Bill W says:

Condoning, cured? semantics.
        People need hope, not excuses. With sobriety comes choices. Sobriety earned through a relationship with your God, honesty, and service leads to choices. As RECOVERED alcoholicis/addicts we have the choice to lead a happy full productive life. The once powerless, realize they are in fact very powerful people- if we choose to be. It is really very simple. Yes, we must work for it. Anything worth wild requires work and in return we harvest a treasured appreciation for all it gives.
        One who chooses to drink or drug again has not lived a life defined by sobriety. Sobriety leaves nothing to chance- not when you are dealing with your life. Cured- we absolutely are…. we are restored, we no longer place ourselves in harmful and disturbing situations, we experience freedom, happiness and wholeness. Sobriety is absolute.
        The person who plays around with the idea of sobriety- the victim….won’t make it.
        You are either all in, or all out. If you are in- STAY.
        Thank God to those that went before us- and for the amazing life I have been given.

20. i should be working, not obsessing says:

Is it possible that “what happened” is that Sherlock stomped Oscar to death? I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Sherlock didn’t use…dad is coming because he is being charged with murder and he went back into the tunnel to place the junk with Olivia’s body. Can’t you just imagine Sherlock’s disdain for everyone assuming that he relapsed? I am not convinced that the most obvious is what happened. We’ll see. Because my interest is renewed.

21. Badpenny says:

Modern TV shows seem to always end their Season on some forum of negativity: someone had to die, something bad must happen, etc. Honestly studios. If we like a show we will come back and watch it next Season. You don’t need to kill of characters, or send them into drug or alcohol spirals, etc. Angst is not the only reason we watch TV. Angst is just a lazy way of writing.

• CarolMaeWY says:

I couldn’t agree more.

• D says:

Angst is drama. Drama is the entire purpose of a story. Happy endings are for series finales. Having struggles for characters to either be changed by or overcome is the hallmark of good writing.

If you want constant positivity, watch sitcoms.

22. bj says:

Sorry. I found the ending really stupid. After getting through the whole day and night he lets Oscar win and relapses.

I’m not sure I’ll be back. If they wanted to revitalize the show this wasn’t the way to do it.

23. Pj says:

I literally lost sleep over the Elementary finale. I love this show and these characters and it was heartbreaking to see that decision made.

24. Archer says:

I think the relapse scenario needed to be spread over multi episodes, more development would have made it more believable. I get what the script is saying, but it didn’t ring completely true for me. Oscar alone wouldn’t have caused relapse. Holmes had to be ready, almost looking for it. That didn’t come across for me, as Holmes otherwise would have a trivial time beating Alfedo’s whereabouts out of Oscar, like with creep and his broken arm Holmes used to good effect to elicit info!

• there were multiple times in the third season where Sherlock eluded to the possibility he might relapse. It is the first season where he actively admitted that he needed a sponsor as well

• D says:

Seeing a stray drug needle on the ground could lead an addict to relapse , and Sherlock spent the whole night in a heroin den.

25. camasal1117 says:

Seeing Sherlock relapse was heartbreaking. But i dont think it was his walk down the drug path with all those triggers that caused it. I think Alfredo is dead. We assume he’s alive because he was found but I personally think Sherlock wouldn’t start using again just because of Oliver.

26. camasal1117 says:

Seeing Sherlock relapse was heartbreaking. But i dont think it was his walk down the drug path with all those triggers that caused it. I think Alfredo is dead. We assume he’s alive because he was found but I personally think Sherlock wouldn’t start using again just because of Oscar. Something traumatic happened.

27. kim says:

Honestly, I dont think that was enough of an evil mastermind monologue to push Sherlock over the edge. If anything it was enough to strengthen his resolve in being sober. I think the director pushed to hard for a scene that never materialized into the end result he was seeking. My thoughts on it.

28. Paul says:

I love “Elementary” because it provides Sherlock with a psychological complexity which other recent Sherlocks lack. Sherlock’s beating of Oscar was unexpected and truly brutal, but I think it’s totally in character for this depiction of Holmes. The fact that this Sherlock shows anger, rage, vulnerability is part of what makes this character and Johnny Lee Miller’s performance both compelling and memorable!

29. Chris Marshall says:

I think Sherlock can be just as devistaed if he killed someone . So I guess we need to wait for next season. As to whom plays is father Donald Sutherland may be good.

30. Chris Marshall says:

I believe Sherlock would feel just as devistaed if he killed someone which I think he did. I don’t feel he used as everyone else does. He was tempted yes maybe to the Point of loading he syringe. I think he did not use but I am sure he killed that freak and that is killing Sherlock just the same

31. cory m. says:

I agree with rick, no-one knows what it is like to be an addict but an addict. It’s not like you wake up one morning and say hey I am going to use again it sometimes just happens. Especially if you have some old friend who is jealous of your sobriety and wants to bring you down. I love how this show lets people see that not every addict is a piece of garbage to discard. Thank you for being one of the realest shows out there.

32. Shane says:

I couldn’t believe Sherlock finally relapsed but you could tell it would happen, he came close before when he took some heroin from a prior crime scene but he didn’t have the push to use, he had Joan to help him through it. With everything that happened that whole day, Oscar wasn’t what necessarily pushed him to use, it was Alfredo nearly dying, the drugs pushed in his face and the fact of knowing he put this on Alfredo because he didn’t do all he could to help Oscar. I don’t understand how anybody can say the finale was bad writing or just a cheap ending, in fact it was the deepest, darkest episode of elementary so far, absolutely amazing and sad

• Sheila says:

Sherlock did not do this to Alfredo. Sherlock did do everything he could for Oscar. It isn’t like he had power of attorney to commit Oscar.

33. Excellent questions — which just prove the point that the last two scenes of this finale were infuriatingly ambiguous, even to the most seasoned Elementary viewer.

It’s a sad payoff to what we’ve been seeing throughout Season 2-3: A) boring, esoteric and worse, convoluted crime plots with lack of stakes, too little action and way, way too much statically shot exposition B) Watson continually shortchanged in terms of character / emotional development C) promising backstory threads introduced and immediately dropped (Joan’s family, Gregson’s wife/daughter, etc.) D) huge chunks of key emotional stories happening off screen and E) the absence of worthy adversaries (I know Moriarty/Natalie Dormer is busy, but doesn’t she have any minions available to do her dirty work?).

As for the finale, the decision itself to kick Sherlock off the wagon works fine for me. He’s always hanging onto his sobriety by a thread. My beef is the way in which that thread was cut.

I do not buy for one millisecond that after spending two days with Oscar berating, hounding and manipulating him into using again, that the strong-willed, stubborn Sherlock would immediately turn around and give Oscar the satisfaction of getting exactly what he wanted. That trigger did not seem true to the character — no trigger at all would’ve made much more sense. And again, that ending was ridiculously vague and confusing, as you and the other commenters have noticed.

But the most gut-wrenching failure of the finale was depriving Watson — his best friend and partner — of the onscreen moment where she realizes that Sherlock has relapsed. This follows a mid-season climax in which Watson is leaning over her gasping-for-air boyfriend and then by the next episode, he’s died, been buried and his freaking murderer has been caught — all off screen.

This is a shocking waste of Lucy Liu’s talent (save for her directing, which is excellent), not to mention the excellent chemistry between the leads. Elementary should be approaching The Good Wife in terms of quality storytelling, instead it’s CSI: Brownstone. Please, Lord (AKA CBS) can we have a new showrunner, a more diverse staff including more than one woman and some attention to Watson’s character.

34. Ticardo says:

Ideas for next season:

Moriarty will ask for help from Sherlock as she will face a more dangerous opponent she has never met: The father of Sherlock.
    A new enemy who will try to manipulate or control Sherlock depressed to cause chaos. I’d love James Callis. he would try to pass Sherlock to the dark side.

MI6 will try to convince Sherlock to find Mycroft because they need knowledge to prevent a civil war.

Mycroft will succeed his father as head of a secret organization that has some control over big business, states and secret services. We will discover that his father had managed to Mycroft agrees to work for MI6.

Watson wants to reconnect with his medical career to the forensic medicine to work with the FBI.

35. CarolMaeWY says:

The last few shows have been lazy writing and this was the ultimate bad ending. A good show doesn’t need a cliffhanger for regular fans to come back to watch next season. They will come back for one show and then leave if that is the case. If the show is good all season they will come back for the next season. We didn’t need a cliff hanger after the excellent first season. Why in Season two and three? I loved this show. I’ve watched every episode two or three times.
    Will his father really be there this time? Where is Sherlocks mother? We were left not knowing if Alfredo will completely recover from his ordeal or what happened to Oscar. What did he say he had? Endocarditis? If Robert Doherty cared for Joan’s character like he said he did in the Baker Street Babes podcast she wouldn’t have been relegated to a few lines as a fast food expert on Long Island.
    Sorry but Malcolm Sinclair is only 14-15 years older than Hill. He won’t play his father.

36. suzybel58 says:

I hate sad endings, I would rather have seen Sherlock NOT fail in his sobriety. I like to see addicts win their battles.

37. JB says:

This is reality. Addiction is dark and plays no favorites. By far, my only love of television, Elementary. Side note: Please don’t get cancelled. I’ll follow the story wherever it may go: Netflix, comic books or the next big Internet sensation.
    Kudos to the Elementary crew.

38. mary says:

Elementary is my favorite show, acting is superb, finale was heart wrenching.

39. James says:

Anybody else think it may just be a smoke screen? He may not have relapsed, he may have killed Oscar. There is no mention made of him relapsing in the episode… “Your father heard what happened” isn’t definitively pointing towards a relapse.

40. Only Charles Dance would do as Holmes Sr. reasons:
    -he actually looks like the old version of Jonny Lee Miller, the same chisled features.
    – he has the same posture, diction and inhabits his roles just as intensely as Jonny Lee Miller does.
    – his role in the Game of Thrones would serve him well as Sherlock’s father.
    – it would be fun to see a few of Game of Thrones actors do the go and fro with Elementary.

My second choice would be Peter Capaldi, even though he’s probably too young to be Sherlock’s father and he might be too busy with Dr. Who.
    My third choice is Jeremy Irons, though he may not want to leave his beloved Ireland to come to NY.
    I really hope for Charles Dance though.

41. Wvan says:

I don’t think he relapsed I think he killed Oscar and that is why the old man is coming now

42. susanai says:

Really sad and depressing.

43. Kathi says:

Very realistic developments. Sad, cringe-worthy but well done. An addict’s demons are always in the parking lot doing pushups.

44. James says:

Am I the only one who was thinking do it. Do it grab the tin can and do it. I guess so

45. CarolMaeWY says:

This felt like lazy writing to me too.

46. Martina says:

WHAT ABOUT OSCAR’s DIRTY NEEDLE??? He admitted to having Hep C …. Sorry that was all I could think of!!! Eew!
    As for Holmes… He had a relapse but he also has a support system. He will most definitely lose his spot at the NYPD if he relapses fully… That can’t happen.

47. 221bsam says:

Some good points raised in the comments, my main problem with season finale was it wasn’t so much intriguing as dull, I literally fell asleep. Moriarty in all manifestations is cunning, conniving & duplicitous, I do not see Oscar in that way at all. His whole reason for kidnapping Alfredo sounded like he’d made it up there & then. I think Elementary needs to decide whether it wants to be a show about drug use or about solving crimes. I of course realise drugs are part of the original canon but just lately, it feels like Sherlock’s addiction is being rammed down our throats. I feel for Johnny Miller, I think he plays a great Sherlock, the rest of the cast though are a bit like white noise (I did like Kitty) ~ Are we honestly supposed to think that Joan did nothing to find Sherlock in three days of him being AWOL, after what he’d dealt with that day, some medical professional she is? Johnny is great but the writing is getting poor.

48. Juliet C. says:

I just want to say there is a difference between “lazy writing” and a cliffhanger. They’re probably going to go back and fill those three days in next season. I also think that Sherlock relapsing is dark but shows that he’s human and even he can fall down into dark habits. It’s also sad that people consider him an “unlikeable” character, because I see so much of him in myself.

49. dmb says:

I was blown away with the finale. I was so shocked and saddened as if a friend had relapsed. I know addicts and it is a very grueling situation sometimes for them to stay sober. I was just happy that Sherlock stayed sober UNTIL he knew Alfredo was found and safe.

50. Angelina says:

I have to say I was extremely sad that Sherlock relapsed. But it is the sad fact of a life on an addict especially a heroin addict. I totally disagree with the people who say this was out of character for Sherlock and that it was not lazy writing. Lazy writing would have been to veer away from this dark theme and just to write a happy ending. That would be lazy. That would be a cop out. This is realistic for an addict. Sherlock’s personality is addictive. Once he is focused on something he really takes it all the way to the very edge. I mean he gets himself stung by bees! On purpose. While this is a sad way to end the season finale, it does open up so much meatier stories next season. Can’t wait! As for who will play Papa Holmes? My three picks – Michael Caine, John Noble and Jim Broadbent. :-)