Fall TV Preview

CBS' Supergirl Trailer Debuts — Plus: Previews of Limitless and More

Supergirl CBS

Along with its fall 2015 schedule, CBS on Wednesday revealed first looks at its new series, including the highly anticipated Supergirl, a small-screen adaptation of Limitless, the Jane Lynch-starrer Angel From Hell and family comedy Life in Pieces.

PHOTOS Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to Next Season’s New Shows and Stars

Watch the trailers in their entirety below:

Supergirl (Mondays, 8/7c)

Angel From Hell (Thursdays, 9:30/8:30c)

Code Black (Wednesdays, 10/9c)

Life In Pieces (Mondays, 8:30/7:30c)

Limitless (Tuesdays, 10/9c)

Your thoughts on CBS’ fall offerings? Drop a line in the comments section with your review of the trailers.

1. JC1 says:

Was there ever a Heroes Reborn trailer released? I just checked the NBC Trailers article again to see if it had been added, but I don’t see it.

2. m3rcnate says:

O…M….G…Supergirl looks BAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD :O
    Like wow bad. They made Supergirl into…Gossip Girl.
    (Like i feared with Superhero shows that have flying, it looks bad, the CGI looks bad, the alien sets and underground government hideout set looks bad)

• m3rcnate says:

Code Black: It looks like its what I was hoping it would be. Less soap, more real, gritty drama. Unlike a Chicago Med which will be full of love triangles and melodramatic scenes this looks good, grounded, realistic. I dig it.

Limitless: Wow that looks gooooooooooooooood! I loved the movie, and i LOVE that Bradley Cooper is cool enough to come back down to TV (and to this project) to guest on the series (I think I read he will guest throughout, not JUST the pilot). I love that they got Carpenter, she makes me even more interested in this show. Can’t wait! Will be one of the very very few network TV shows I watch.

• Kristen says:

Bradley Cooper is one of the EPs fof the series, thats why. He’s making bucco bucks for this

• m3rcnate says:

Well no matter what they are paying him, its awesome he 1) Liked the movie so much he wanted to continue it on in a series that he is a part of and 2) Realizes him being in it some really adds to it and connects it to the movie.
          He could have never pitched it and didnt like the movie he made or did and got the show up and running but refused to play any role in the show. Glad he didnt go any of those routes.

• dan says:

Limitless looks great. I loved the movie, can’t wait to see the TV series.

• Chris says:

Oh man, I totally agree. I didn’t make it through that preview, it was cringe worthy. Limitless on the other hand looks interesting, makes me want to see the movie to catch up.

• JRED says:

Try this one on. Hated the preview, had to make my own lol.

• m3rcnate says:

Its true that is a lot better, but the CGI, the sets, the flight visuals, everything is still so baron, so cheap looking, lacking in detail and that “lived in” quality. Im not asking for dark and gritty like Daredevil, but even The Flash has really nice sets that feel and look real, they look lived/worked in, etc. It doesnt help that i dont think the casting wasnt that good (still like Laura Vandervort as Supergirl way more) and the costume looks meh.

• Now that it’s picked up, they have plenty of time to polish up the FX. Also, it usually takes a few episodes for a show to find its rhythm. I’ll give it a six episode watch to see how it develops.. PLUS, since CBS owns the CW, there is potential for CW crossovers.

• Kurt Snyder says:

Very nice.Great job there.

• Angus says:

Here’s a suggestion… Don’t watch it.

3. ab says:

How long before someone gets offended over the title “Code black”?

• Code black is an actual Medical terminology used for when something bad happens. I think it’s for when there is armed ppl in the building and security is needed. I forget the exact meaning, I just know it’s a thing.

• m3rcnate says:

“Overweight” is also a medical term, but parents (especially mothers) are freaking out offended when their doctor tells them their kid is just that. Just because a term is correct and scientific doesn’t mean people wont be offended.

• Ally Oop says:

Code Black is basically the medical terminology for “State of Emergency” and when Code Black is called in an ER, it means there aren’t enough hands on deck (too many patients and emergencies at once) so more medical personnel must be called in and because the ER is at capacity, all incoming patients are rerouted to other hospitals. An intern or nurse might have to handle a patient on their own as it’s a do or die situation.

• Apparently long after someone presumes that black people are hyper-sensitive to any usage of the word “black”. Asking the question is just as douchey as taking offense to the usage of the word, no matter the context.

4. Billy Ray says:

these shows are HORRIBLE

• Mr. Tran K says:

There’s nothing to disagree about and it doesn’t matter what Billy Ray (don’t call the last name Cyrus) says. Everybody’s got a voice of opinion as does myself but who knows what will happen if anyone of CBS’ new Fall shows is going to breakthrough. Supergirl does have potential if everybody’s going to start complaining about it and the rest of its new shows would beg to differ. CBS has been #1 for more than a decade now and we don’t know how long the streak will end. CBS always have a tough and grueling schedule in years past and who knows if more than one show gets canceled and replace it with a new or returning series.

• Kate says:

Of course there’s something to disagree about if “everyone’s got a voice.” Robert disagrees with Billy Ray and you, apparently. So do I. I think a couple of the shows have potential. That’s what disagreeing is = two “voices” that aren’t the same. Why does that need to be explained?

5. Jen says:

I am surprised but I didn’t like the Supergirl trailer. Hopefully the show is better.

• Dan says:

Not sure it will be. They should go ahead and rename it “Supergirlie” anyway, because it seems to be too hard to make an adult, more grounded show starring a super-female-young-adult. They seem to think girlies are always gonna be girlies, high school intrigue, petty power games and all.

• Wordsmith says:

To be fair, can you think of any shows about a young adult female that don’t cross into so-called “girlie” territory? It’s just the way the genre works.
        Also, look at how “girlie” male-driven superhero shows like Flash and Smallville are: love triangles, high school-level antics. Again, par for the course.

• Shaun says:

The 100,Nikita,Revenge……how many others I have to list?

• Wordsmith says:

More than that. Those shows are all fairly dark, but content-wise they absolutely have all of the hallmarks of a girly show. My point is, that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

• Ray says:

Exactly and Smallville lasted 10 years and the Flash is the biggest hit the CW has had in a decade! Superhero stuff for the guys and romance for the girls!

• Kate says:

I was surpised I actually liked it. Don’t know if I’ll watch, as superhero movies and shows aren’t my thing. But maybe I’ll catch the premier…

6. dan says:

Supergirl looks great!

7. dj says:

All these trailers look good

8. VJ says:

I really want to like Code Black, because I like Raza Jaffrey ever since Spooks (or MI-5, I think its called in the U.S.). Promo didn´t do it for me. Looks like a “ER meets Grey´s Anatomy” thing, but I´ll give it a shot when it premieres.
    But in general: there isn´t really a pilot this season where I think “Oh wow, that sounds so fantasctic, I have to watch this!”. Well, Lucifer on FOX looks amazing, but otherwise… hm.

• Jared says:

I agree, I’ve watched the trailers from all the different networks and maybe 2-3 series look good between them.

• Danielle H. says:

THIS. I could take or leave everything but Lucifer. Out of the Big 4, I only plan on watching Heroes Reborn and Lucifer. I’ll wait to see what the CW has to offer, but looks like I’m checking out next to nothing new :/

• Velocisexual says:

“Looks like a “ER meets Grey´s Anatomy” thing, but I´ll give it a shot when it premieres.” I wouldn’t be surprised if that is EXACTLY how they pitched the show to CBS ;)

9. uk-usa-tvaddict says:

Supergirl looks awful!! The Flash does fx better!! And that is on the CW.

Code Black looks lame. Yet another ER wannabe.

• LK says:

The show doesnt come out till the fall.. most of the VFX shots are probably temps at this point.

• buc says:

you do know…that both shows have the same producer?

• m3rcnate says:

You do know Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim (writer of Arrow and Flash) wrote the Green Lantern movie script right? That god awful movie that DC/Marvel fans say is one of the worst if not the worst since Marvel and DC started making movies in the ’00’s. Just because a show has a writer or producer or show-runner that had success before doesn’t mean they are guaranteed success again.
        This Supergirl trailer looks like if Blake Lively’s character on Gossip Girl got Supermans powers on Gossip Girl. Horrible. And its an entirely different network, you dont know that Berlanti wasn’t told/pressured to write a certain way by CBS that he wasn’t when writing at CW. Just because you write a great superhero show on Netflix doesn’t mean you will write a great superhero show on SyFy Network. Different management, different expectations, different constraints, different goals.

• Ann says:

In what way does Supergirl resemble Gossip Girl, other than it has a female lead? Isn’t it more reasonable that Supergirl is like Smallville?

10. Dean says:

Damn the trailer alone got me interested in supergirl

11. mike says:

Yes to Limitless
    Curious to Supergirl
    skip basically everything else

12. Kimberly says:

Is it just me or did that trailer remind anybody else of the SNL sketch Scarlet recently did about the fake Marvel black widow movie? Even had the similar music and the female pain in the neck exec. Why does it have to be so dang girly?

• Matt says:

It is not just you.

• To be honest, if you take out the stupid music, teh trailer is almost good.. Yeah, the one part about the blind date seems bad, and the female boss seems to be very stereotyped, but just like she says in her speech, there’s nothing wrong with being a girl, or girly, and if someone has a problem with it, is their problem. But I could live without the music.

• Chris says:

Lol, it does! Calling it now, one of the lines is going to be something like “My weakness may be Kryptonite, but his is…commitment!” as her and, I don’t know, Doomsday clink their Ben and Jerry spoons. Maybe if they would have gotten Laura Vandervoort I probably could have looked past it.

• Lucia says:

YES!!! I kept thinking the same thing. God it looks bad, the trailer seem more like a romcom that a superhero show, as a woman I’m very dissapointed.

13. Lysh says:

Supergirl looks as fun and dorky as the Flash and Calista is kind of hamming it up and the trailer is so romcom-y, but I’m probably gonna watch the crap out it. I kinda want the pilot to “accidentally leak” like Flash did so I can watch it now.
    Limitless looks good! I should see the movie.

• herman1959 says:

I was getting a Flash vibe also (I love that show), then Calista messed it up for me. I’ll pass.

14. Lorena says:

OK, Wow

Angel from Hell, looks good
    Code Black, YES!!! finally a decent medical show, and because i miss ER sooo much
    Life in pieces, like Modern Family, maybe
    and SuperGirl, the instant she says her name, you know is from the creators of Arrow and Flash, “My name is Kara-El…..”

CBS, you have some really good winners in here

15. jay says:

SuperGirl looks too much like a mixed of Felicity Smoak, Barry Allen and Ray Palmer on the CW. Feels like Greg Berlanti is recycling.

16. Lizzie says:

I was so excited for Supergirl…and the trailer came out. It was like let me piece all the things that everyone likes about Arrow and Flash and put them together. Felicity (check), Diggle (check), smart-quarky sidekick who says some crazy funny stuff as well as super smart techy stuff (check). I get it she is suppose to be more exposed and excited about being a superhero BUT this just feels like a ABC Family show mixed with superheroes. I will give it a shot hopefully does good.

17. Liam says:

I’m surprised that I actually liked the Supergirl trailer. Liked the Limitless trailer too. I’ll be checking both out this fall.

18. Mr. Tran K says:

Looking forward to Supergirl if you guys can start complaining and it would be great going up against Gotham. The rest are terrible but I have a feeling that both of CBS’ new comedies in Angel From Hell and Life in Pieces are potential goners and they should be replace by two returning sitcoms in their respective time slots. My bold prediction is that 2 Broke Girls should move to Thursdays after Big Bang Theory depending on whether or not Supergirl becomes a hit in the 8 p.m. Monday night time slot but if it fails then both 2BG and Mike & Molly would indeed vacated Supergirl’s spot. As for the new mid-season shows: the Criminal Minds spin-off Beyond Borders should get the 10 p.m. Wednesday night time slot if Code Black is out and I think that Rush Hour gets the 8 p.m. Friday night time slot after The Amazing Race is done or perhaps Undercover Boss. One final word: with CBS’ telecast of Super Bowl 50, which CBS series should get the coveted post big game slot?

19. Mr. Tran K says:

My CBS trailer rankings: 1. Supergirl (if no one believes it) 2. Code Black (seven minutes I can’t live without) 3. Limitless (Debra Morgan from Dexter back on TV) 4. Angel From Hell 5. Life in Pieces

20. Pedro says:

The characters are unrecognizeble.

Kara-El is not bumbling and insecure. Certainly not down-to-Earth.

Jimmy Olsen is not ultra-confident and smoldering sexy.

• LK says:

Depends on which version of Supergirl.. she’s been rebooted so many times… the Helen Slater version was somewhat like this also… I kinda like how they are doing her in the trailer… Jimmy I tend to agree with you on.

• Ian Barber says:

You hit the nail on the head! Kara is NOT Felicity Smoak (who I like on Arrow, but don’t need another version of), and Jimmy is NOT a big, buff supermodel. I’m not sure I see this faring very well with the CBS crowd.

• Ally Oop says:

I have a hard time keeping from comparing this Supergirl to the one that appeared on Smallville. I don’t think this actress is right for the role.

21. mike says:

supergirl looks awesome I might give limtless a chance

22. Jenna says:

Like them all!
    In order:
    Supergirl
    Angel from Hell
    Limitless
    Life in Pieces
    Code Black

23. LK says:

Supergirl actually looks like its gonna be a fun show… not wild about how they are portraying Jimmy Olsen…. the actor is doing such a radical departure from what that character had been shown as before… and i’m still wondering how they are gonna do this show without superman showing up at all… but it looks like its gonna be fun.

• Luis says:

In the Superman comics of the 70’s, Jimmy was portrayed as more of an adult character, not terribly unlike the portrayal seen in the trailer,; it was actual one of the things I liked most about the trailer.

24. Sam says:

I wish supergirl was going by “Linda” instead of “Kara” in her civilian identity… but other than that it looks ok.

25. Well, the Supergirl trailer screwed up within the first few seconds. How can the planet have exploded 24 years ago when she left it 12 years ago?

• Sam says:

Well in the comics, her family survived the destruction of the planet and her city drifted through space and wasnt destroyed til later.. thats why she arrived on earth so many years after her cousin… I’m sure they are gonna do something like that…

• The trailer shows her leaving Krypton when she was 12, so that’s 12 years ago. No Argo here. This is a straight out Superman rip off.

• bryan bryan says:

Kara’s father Zor-El managed to float a Kryptonian city, Argo City out of Krypton as it(Krypton) exploded and it survived for several years until a meteor storm hit according to that version in the 1960s and 1970s.

• Not in this version. Watch the trailer. Either way, the concept is flawed.

So now it turns out that Jor-El wasn’t the only Kryptonian with a rocket ship, but his BROTHER also had access to one. How CONVEEEEENIENT.
            Imagine if these two bozos had gotten together, they could have built a LARGER rocket.
            Now, hold on, this is the part where it gets weird.
            Traditionally, Lara stays behind with Jor-El because he didn’t have time to build a larger rocket. He only had time to build a rocket large enough for a baby… meanwhile, Zor-El had time to build a rocket large enough for a TEENAGER?!?
            That means, that if Frik (Jor-El) and Frak (Zor-El) had worked together and cobbled their two rockets, they might have been able to build one large enough for BOTH Lara AND Kal-El to escape Krypton’s destruction!
            SURELY Kara would have been selfless enough to allow her aunt, the mother of her newborn cousin Kal, to take her place in the rocket and leave Krypton with her child.
            ALTERNATIVELY, the two sets of parents could have worked TOGETHER in building ONE single rocket for BOTH their children to leave Krypton TOGETHER. Kara could then have left Krypton WITH baby Kal ON THE SAME DAMN SHIP.
            There would be NO stupid temporal difference between their ages because he arrived on Earth first and she arrived 12 years later.
            This is the kind of crap that results from morons coming up with ways to have MORE than one Kryptonian survivor. Their crap falls apart under scrutiny because IT’S CRAP.

• LK says:

I dont know that they said she left 12 years ago… I think she got to earth 12 years ago… she could have been in some sort of hyper sleep thing like they did on Smallville..

• Elizabeth Cecchin says:

In the comics, Kara and her mother and father lived in a city on Krypton called Argo City which had survived the explosion of the planet Krypton and drifted through space. The inhabitants of the city were slain by green Kryptonite fragments, but Kara’s father realized what was happening and sent Kara to Earth to be with her cousin. It’s not clear how old Kara is when she was sent to earth, but it is assumed that she was around 11-12 years old, because she attends high school on earth.
      Hope that helps clear up any confusion.

26. So excited for Supergirl. Angel from Hell and Life in Pieces weren’t as bad as I expected, but I’m still not watching them. Wasn’t interested in Limitless when it was a movie, so I’m still not interested in it. Didn’t even make it to the end of the Code Black trailer before I got bored with it. Still wish Supergirl was on a different network so I wouldn’t have to deal with CBS and their awful streaming service options.

27. Supergirl doesn’t get to learn how to fly on the first try. That’s crap!

28. buc says:

supergirl looks terrfific…can’t wait for the comic con panel this july…plus calista flockhart…a real winner…

29. Justsomeguy says:

Wow. Supergirl is even worse than I imagined. I have to admit I’m impressed they managed to make it as bad as it is. I bet it’s the first show that get pulled from the CBS schedule.

30. Sara says:

Not really interested in any after seeing the trailer…tought I watch Supergirl but the trailer looks awful and the actress made me feel like I was revisiting The Arrow with Felicity as a protagonist lol
    Well CBS new shows this fall, seem to be heading trough disaster.
    Will see.

31. nate says:

I’m mad they mad supergirl a damn comedy. I had high hopes too

32. LEP says:

I gotta say, the Supergirl sneak peak looked really cool. Will definitely check it out. I’m a sucker for comic book heroes. Bring on Arrow’s finale tonight!

33. I like how Limitless is a sequel to the movie (which I still have to see) rather than a remake. Better super-heroing through drugs. It worked for the Marvel characters and it works for these guys.

34. DavidJ says:

Definitely seems like they’re going for the same light and fun vibe as Lois and Clark with that Supergirl trailer. I do think it got a bit TOO cutesy at times, but Benoit was so damn charming and likeable that I still thought it worked pretty well overall.

35. Dennis says:

OMG Supergirl looks amazing… this might be the first show I watch on CBS!!! #youngerskewing lol

Yay Greg Berlanti!

36. Christi says:

So Supergirl is actually Andi from the Devil Wears Prada? lol

37. N says:

Limitless

38. Note to self after watching the supergirl trailer, if you see Chyler Leigh boarding a plane might be best just to skip that flight…..

39. dude says:

I’m pleasantly surprised with the Supergirl trailer. I’m gonna check out the pilot. I think Melissa is wrong for the role (Claire Holt would have been perfect) but I do like her and think she’s talented so it could be good.

40. LT says:

I’m all about CODE BLACK. That looks pretty intense and amazing!

41. matty says:

They all look good except for Limitless.

42. Masters1313 says:

Angel from Hell made me laugh in the short preview. Looks like it could be a good fun comedy!

43. budo81b4 says:

Angel From Hell looks like a good fun comedy! The preview did make me laugh…
    Jane Lynch does add an interesting character to this show.

44. liame says:

None of these shows look worthy to me, but CBS has a particular following so they’ll probably keep them around a bit.

45. MaryC says:

Super girl looks good!! I like mean boss Calista Flockhart. I like how Kara’s sister knows her secret, and that she’s got other confidants too. I really hope it does well.

46. Alyse says:

Chyler Leigh’s character being s a plane crash made me think of her character Lexie Grey from greys anatomy.

47. Lexy says:

Supergirl doesn’t look like it will make me start watching TV shows made after comic books any time soon tbh. I’ve just read too many comics to properly enjoy the shows.
    Code Black looks exactly like the ER version of Grey’s Anatomy season 1. The blonde girl is Izzie, dude that was eyeing her is Alex, the insecure one is George, the other girl is Meredith, their resident is Bailey. Pass.
    Limitless has decent actors, but how the hell will this work as a tv show? Might check it out, but don’t expect much.
    Will give both comedies a try, seeing as how I watch so few coms at the moment.
    Shows look better than what NBC has.

48. Tai says:

Super girl trailer music was a bad choice but otherwise I actually enjoyed the trailer. I was already planning on checking it out but this trailer gives me hope that I might actually like it.

49. Ally Oop says:

Here are my ratings for how much I think I’ll like the show based on its trailer and premise:
    Code Black – 7 out of 10
    Supergirl – 6 out of 10
    Life in Pieces – 4 out of 10
    Limitless – 3 out of 10
    Angel from Hell – 2 out of 10

50. the comedies are over the top. parts of it is funny. but they look like their’re going to fail. Supergirl & limitless looks like the only shows I want to watch (that are new). Limitless has a nice cast; the captain is the former mother of Nick Burkk on Grimm, Jennifer Carpenter from Dexter. Guest spots from Bradley Cooper. & hill Harper: Covert affairs/CSI: NY. I don’t know the lead, but he looks great. Looking forward to it!