Ratings: NCIS and S.H.I.E.L.D. Finales Each Slip to Series Lows

NCIS Series Low Ratings

CBS’ NCIS wrapped Season 12 on Tuesday night with 14.8 million total viewers and a 1.9 rating, rising 5 percent in audience but dipping a tenth in the demo to a new series low.

Leading out of that, NCIS: New Orleans (13.5 mil/1.7) ticked up, while a special CSI: Cyber outing* (8.7 mil/1.2) improved on last week’s Person of Interest finale (8.2 mil/1.1).

*In case you missed Wednesday morning’s flurry of headlines, the original CSI is airing a two-hour series finale movie on Sept. 27, after which Ted Danson will join CSI: Cyber as D.B.

Elsewhere….

ABC | Leading out of the DWTS results show (10 mil/1.5), Agents of SHIELD’s two-hour season finale did 4 mil and a 1.3, down 11 percent and a tenth and hitting a series low in the demo.

NBC | The Voice (9 mil/2.1) ticked up, Undateable‘s double pump (4.1 mil/1.3) was steady and the Chicago Fire finale (6.6 mil/1.5) dipped a tenth.

THE CW | The Flash (3.5 mil/1.4) was steady, while iZombie (1.8 mil/0.7) ticked up.

FOX | Hell’s Kitchen (3.2 mil/1.2) was steady; American Idol (5.5 mil/1.2) was down 21 and 29 percent from last year’s finale Part 1.

1. MelindaB says:

Anybody who didn’t watch the AoS finale missed one amazing roller-coaster ride! Thank you, ABC, for renewing it, even though I’m still annoyed about Selfie and Forever. I’m still annoyed about Homefront, for that matter.

• Grey says:

Yes! I’m still *EXTREMELY* angry about “Homefront!” MelindaB, we need to get together and have lunch. :D And hello ABC, would it kill you to finally release “Homefront” on DVD or digital download?!

• MelindaB says:

Amen! I have only seen it once since it went off the air-TVLand went through the cycle of episodes once, and even though they were scheduled to repeat them, abruptly canceled it and never aired it again. Freaks and Geeks managed to make it to DVD–can the 40s music really be more cost-prohibitive than the 80s music from that show?

So, where are we having lunch? :-D

• D. says:

I agree with everything you said

• The Watcher says:

Glad to See I’m not the only one still peeved over Selfie & Forever.

2. SHIELD is too good to keep doing this poorly.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It’s confounding, really.

• Yeah. Whedon speaking against it doesn’t help either.

• Dennis says:

He didn’t really speak against it…more like his plan for Coulson was to die and then for him to come back in life in the show, and then for him to have it explained in the second movie just doesn’t really fit his vision of a character’s death emotionally impacting the other characters…

• It’s a matter of his choice of words. He’s leaving it to the people that see his remarks to figure out that what he’s saying is that Coulson’s revival undercuts the effect of his death. Rather than say that, he’s speaking out against the show as a whole.

• wingsstef says:

I understand why some people feel the way they do about Coulson coming back to life; his death was an important part of the movie and the motivation for the Avengers to carry on. However it really isn’t something is too far-fetched in the 616 Marvel Universe. Characters are killed and brought back constantly. Of course we are talking about the Marvel Cinematic Universe here, but as long as the rebirth makes sense in relation to the rules set in the particular universe, I am okay with it. Also as we have seen with Coulson, there were consequences to Fury’s actions.

• Grey says:

Well, I think part of it is that a lot of us who gave up on show early on (I gave up after the 3rd or 4th episode) never came back after it improved and found its groove. A few weeks ago I decided to try it again but I’m so far out of the loop with the story and characters and their relationships that I gave up. I’d have to binge watch to get caught up and I’m not willing to that for this show. Sorry.

The other thing is I think it will get huge gains in delayed viewing. This is a busy time of the year for a big chuck of the demo; specifically the 18-25 year olds. Proms, graduations, final exams, weddings, going off to college for the first time, finishing college and trying to get that first “real” job, etc. All of them will see the episode but on their on time and on their own schedule. The Live +7 will probably take it up to 2.2+.

• RBA says:

As someone who watched the first 5 episodes of the show and gave up I find it hard to come back after giving it a try. I think, like me, there are millions of people who had high hopes for the show in the beginning but were turned off by the slow Start.

• BrittBrat says:

It really was a great season finale. It felt like a movie.

• John NYC says:

Could people really still be holding that snoozefest early first season against it?

• Yes, they absolutely would, and in the process fail to realize that the reason we care about the characters now is because of what we saw during those early episodes.

• Arvin says:

Actually it’s hard to care for those characters honestly since when I was watching the 1st Season all I could think of was me wanting for Ward,Fitz and Simmons to die.

• John NYC says:

I guess you’re right, I do have a certain reluctance to return to serialized shows once I’ve dropped them for a while come to think on it. Less about holding the sample I found unsatisfying “against” them and more I really don’t like coming in in the middle of stories (I ALWAYS start multi-volume book series right at the start).

• Dj says:

I think there are two things that hurt AoS. The first is how it didn’t get great until after Cap 2. The second thing I think the people who aren’t watching want superheroes that they know and not spies.

• You only get one chance to make a first impression. And they blew theirs, badly.

• Robert Dassler says:

Not for me it didn’t. AoS rocks. I have little patience for those people who don’t watch but still find the time to trash it.

• MP says:

I agree. I gave it 5 or 6 episodes and gave up. Glad a lot of people seem to be liking it now, it just missed the boat for me, personally.

3. RedReddington says:

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised about SHIELD’s numbers, but I’m disappointed. People seriously missed out on one of the best season finales I’ve ever seen; and I’ve seen a lot. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, and I think I may have actually enjoyed it more than Age of Ultron. THAT’S how good it was. Such a shame. So glad its been renewed.

4. lauratao says:

Why on earth aren’t more people watching AoS? It’s been amazing lately. And last night’s episode – wow.

5. So CSI Cyber a show in its first season barely beat Person’s of Interest ratings which is going into its fifth? That’s not good tbh.

6. Christina says:

I just don’t get it with SHIELD.

• Eric7740 says:

SHIELD messed up by dragging their feet with the first half of season 1. I for one, was excited and could’nt wait for SHIELD to premiere!!! But too many boring episodes and nothing to keep my tuning in, I had to let it go. From what I understand the latter half of season 1 was with momentum started picking up with the Captain America movie tie-in, but by that time, that had alienated all their premiere viewers. Sorry the show isn’t doing better.

7. ninamags says:

The NCIS episode was really boring. There are only so many times we can accept one of the main characters being in peril.

The Flash episode was fantastic!

I tuned in to the first few episodes of Shield. Didn’t really see anything there and decided not to continue to watch. They should have made the first half season amazing to keep people tuned in, but it wasn’t.

• RedReddington says:

Too bad you quit SHIELD. You’re missing out on some amazing TV. I agree the first five or so episodes were shaky, but a lot of new shows take a while to find their footing. Too many people stopped watching though..it sucks.

• Stacey says:

I think they made the mistake of using Gibbs. Unless Mark wants to retire or reduce his time next season and have Gibbs let Tony take primary leadership of the group with him just helping out it wasn’t wise to do it because NO ONE in their right minds believes Gibbs is dead or will die. If they wanted suspense. They should have used Tony or Abby. Or someone else. Still a excellent storyline. So prevalent to today’s world. Hopefully the show will adjust up to a 2.0 in a finals. And that September will bring it higher. Spring is hell for show’s ratings…

• John NYC says:

Then perhaps they didn’t want suspense but just the emotional impact of seeing Gibbs get hit like that and by who did the shooting…

With cliffhangers being so incredibly cliche’d (especially, as you say for such a lead as Gibbs, now Ducky a few years back had me concerned) I’d actually prefer that interpretation.

• Doug Henning says:

I DVR’d Flash and watched NCIS live… should have done the reverse… Flash was great and it wasn’t a finale… While the NCIS total ratings were still larger than any other show, it really didn’t keep my attention much ( I was keeping an eye on the hockey streaming on my computer)… NCIS is best when it stresses characters.. That’s what makes if different than others… Otherwise it’s another let’s chase terrorists show… They may be running out of story ideas for this team…

8. wrstlgirl says:

I watched the first hour of Shield and then changed the channel to CF. I was bored. It’s on the DVR, I’ll finish it this weekend.

9. Dennis says:

Still can’t believe Forever was cancelled. Was that an ABC studios show? If not, makes sense (ugh)

10. bwiseman says:

Shame on AoS ratings, it was an amazing episode. Why doesn’t ABC try moving the show to a different time slot?

11. JeffDJ says:

The SHIELD finale was awesome-intense and it’s a series low?
    As for NCIS, I’ve watched since the beginning, but I’m getting tired of the terrorism stories. I realize it’s the kind of world we live in, but I miss the days when the team investigated navy/military crimes per the original premise and they hadn’t seemingly become an anti-terrorism organisation.

12. BrianR says:

These ratings are BS I watch SHIELD live every week plus a couple more times dvr and on demand.

13. wingsstef says:

Agents of SHIELD was good last night. Lots of stuff was set up for the future next season and beyond, aka The InHumans movie and there were lots of action and drama even comic relief in the episode. I think some people don’t have the patience for suspended suspense which is a shame. Personally I think it is better to follow clues and built on a story and characterization than giving everything away immediately. Like many said, the early episodes of season 1 did matter. Though that aside the show has been getting better and better ever since.

14. murley says:

I wonder if the 2 hour finale put people off. I started with Flash last night and was too tired to commit to 2 hours of Shield even though I was soooo eager to watch the finale and love the show. I bet it will adjust up. I continue to be shocked that such an excellent show isn’t being watched by more and more people and here is hoping some check it out over the summer or revisit it if they quit early on and have heard it has gotten great.

15. Eric says:

Wow. Flash (non finale) beat out AoS (2hour finale) in demo. Did it differ much per hour?

• Robert Dassler says:

One was on at 8pm and the other ran from 9pm to 11pm. Of course it was going to take a hit. Most people would have DVR’d it to watch at a more sociable time. These are baseline figures for what will be a massive bump down the line. It’s been renewed anyway so there’s no point crying over spilled milk. We’re still on the air.

• eric says:

Not really spilt milk for me. I’m more of A Flash fan myself. But just enquiring from a readers curiosity, especially given that ABC is a big network and would usually pull 3x the ratings a young network the CW.
        Also, aren’t people more inclined to watch 9pm than 8pm? Which is why they give the 8pm slot to shows that are already established and/or are sure to pull viewers and perhaps ‘lead in’ to the next program?
        One last thing, if AoS live numbers don’t necessarily reflect how well the show is doing, the same could be said for Flash. In fact, it could have higher DVR ratings and come out even further on top over AoS right?

16. Lorena says:

Really??? what is happening with this people?? Agents of SHIELD was freaking amazing!!!!!

17. Nickrz says:

Honestly I don’t get SHIELDs ratings fall. It’s disgusting and people need to watch that show, it’s so good and needs to be given second chance.

• wrstlgirl says:

Not everyone is going to like the same things. That’s what makes us unique and different. It doesn’t make either opinion right or wrong and there’s certainly nothing disgusting about it.

• HAP says:

Head to head with long time bubble show Undateable!

18. In fact, such combination treatments, sometimes referred to as “liquid facelift,”
    were found to produce more prominent, longer-lasting results.
    This treatment can usually take up to 20 minutes, it depends on how many Botox injections are required.
    After a very simple methodology, enduring no
    more than ten minutes, with no recuperation period, effects might
    be seen between 7-10 days. Provided that the effects are not as expected, the
    patient is encouraged.

19. Mr. Tran K says:

Still sad about what happened last night on DWTS. Nastia Liukin will always be a dancing winner in our hearts.

20. prish says:

Our household liked the NCIS season finale, and I am assuming the kid was shooting at the person who was shooting Gibbs. We’ll see. However, I am sooo tired of terrorist plots. Can’t they mix it up with episodes about things happening at Annapolis?

21. Sara says:

Good for the flash and iZombie, hope the ratings keep improving 😊

22. kmw says:

Too bad for Shield, thought it would do better. How Idol has fallen, even if it is creatively better. I wonder if NCIS will find a way to adjust up

23. Vi says:

Basketball playoffs … I watched Shield and loved it but the other TV was playing the Cavs/Bulls playoff game.

24. Drewer says:

Whoever thought we’d live in a world where a CW show outscored an American Idol finale in the demo (even if they didn’t air in the same hour that is still cool for The Flash).

25. Brigid says:

AOS was amazing! Best show on TV for me. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I’m still thinking about it. SHIELD and The Flash was the best night of television since Buffy and Angel aired on the same night.

26. dryl says:

NCIS Finale was terrible… grade D (no ziva, epic fail)
    AoS Finale, A+

27. Pickle8182 says:

NCIS – a viewer since episode 1, the seasons with this Bishop are bad. Not terrible, but not the great NCIS of yesteryear. Stories are mostly weaker, actress playing Bishop is weak at best, and the have weakened Gibbs’ character because of her and her story lines.