Post Mortems

Chicago Fire Boss on Casey's Dire Future, Gabby's Surprise News and Why Answers Are Coming... on P.D.

Chicago Fire Gabby Dawson Pregnant Casey Missing

If you want to find out what happened to Chicago Fire‘s MIA Casey after Tuesday night’s shocking season ender, you may have to watch Chicago P.D. this fall.

With the mothership series not set to return until November, executive producer Matt Olmstead tells TVLine, the cop spinoff could hold all the answers.

“That’s what we’re dealing with now that staggered start,” he says. “Obviously, both shows exist in the same universe. We’d definitely have to deal with any kind of cliffhangers on the first one up.”

Add to that the fact that P.D.‘s Voight and Antonio play an integral role in the Casey twist, and the EP reaffirms that that particular storyline most likely will need to be resolved on the offshoot.

“I think we’re going to have to, unless you drop them into some kind of space-time wrinkle, which is not the preference here on our end,” he says. “It is a cop story, anyway.”

Below, Olmstead also talks Gabby’s surprise pregnancy, another cross-show romance and Chili’s future.

TVLINE | Are we to assume that Casey’s been kidnapped or that he’s being framed for Katya’s murder?
Maybe both. We left it open, and we have a couple ideas on the board — a combination of that or one of [those].

TVLINE | Can we at least cross off that Katya was there for personal reasons? Because there was a little bit of a connection between her and Casey.
There was. Her going there for help and being at the wrong place at the wrong time is a possibility. Her being forced to go there and try to lure him out is a possibility. Getting all the participants in one room and trying to see what’s going on and it going south is another possibility.

TVLINE | But she wasn’t there for romantic reasons?
No. We wanted to play a little flirtation more so on her part, but we never fully wanted to go down that road.

TVLINE | Gabby went over to Casey’s to tell him she’s pregnant. What’s the policy on pregnant firefighters?
It’s interesting, because they can’t be a firefighter. They’ll fall back to Ambo. The alternative is getting a desk job in the fire department while you’re still pregnant. So of the many things she’s dealing with is the fact that she’d have to be reassigned off the truck.

TVLINE | Despite the fact that this could potentially jeopardize her job, is it at least a blessing in that it might bring her and Casey back together?
Strangely enough, that’s the least of her considerations. The first thought in her head isn’t, “Oh, great. This will bring us back together.” The first thought is, “OK, I’ve got to deal with this. And I’m going to go inform a guy that, obviously, I loved” – and she loves still in a sense – “but we’re not together anymore. So I don’t want him to make any decisions based on an external impetus.” She’s just too proud. So if there’s a point where she believed that he wants back the relationship on his own terms, I think she’d go for it. But this isn’t Little House on the Prairie where, “I’m not going to survive unless there’s a man in the house.”

TVLINE | Can you hint about what Casey’s reaction to the news would be?
He’d try to downplay his shock and right away be protective and say, “Great, what are we going to do? Let’s get married. What do you need me to do?” It’s not like, “Whoa, whoa, whoa.” Then [he would] figure out his own feelings about it later.

TVLINE | How mad is Gabby going to be at Antonio for what’s happened to Casey?
There is some blame to go around, especially as it relates to Voight. Voight goes and gets Casey to step up, and it goes south. I don’t think even Voight knows the full depth of what’s going on in this place. Everybody’s pointing the finger, but no one was fully formed. But that’s to be dealt with down the road. Obviously, the first concern is: Where’s Casey?

Chicago Fire Season 4 SpoilersTVLINE | You had some new cast additions this season, one of whom — Rice — left. Can we expect Chili (played by Dora Madison Burge) to stick around permanently next season?
Yeah, for sure. I love what the actress is bringing. We all do.

TVLINE | It feels like you’ve finally filled all the slots, but will there be some more shifting of job positions?
We’ll have room for a new candidate to come into Truck, but beyond that, it gets a little too musical chairs. We want to settle down with the current roster.

TVLINE | Will the Brett-and-Roman romance continue between the two shows next season?
Yeah. We spent some time in both rooms before we broke for hiatus, and there’s some cool stories that came from those two. So we are setting them up as a couple.

Chicago Fire fans, stay tuned to TVLine for even more Season 4 scoop!

1. Hmm says:

What I want to know is who is taking Cruz’s place on truck? And if Gabby won’t be able to be a firefighter and goes back to ambo, where does that leave Chili and/or Brett?

• Laurie says:

Well technically Otis took Cruz’s place on truck so now they need a new elevator guy.

• Neil Patrick Harris has a special show that barely last two months and NBC decided to have Chicago Fire delayed for that reason.

• Deanna Sabourin says:

Yeah ya know you just can’t count on a show being on for any length of time, we don’t get to vote, they don’t even give us a thought, even Soap operas just disappear. It isn’t even worth it to get cable anymore. Oh well.

2. Laurie says:

Any clue as to why Chicago Fire isn’t coming back until November? I wasn’t expecting that.

3. Can we all agree that we want Severide to take care of Dawson and her baby while she and Matt decide if they want to be together? I need more Dawseride scenes after that finale. I agree, Dawsey shouldn’t be back together because there is a baby. Dawson will have a lot of struggles on her own….Can’t wait to see that!

• ndixit says:

Why on earth would Severide take care of Dawson and her baby.? I’m pretty sure, given the decency of Casey’s character, he would want to take care of the baby and Dawson even if they aren’t together. And why does Dawson need to be taken care of anyways. She’s pregnant, not disabled. Severide doesn’t need to be put into every story.

• Not everything has to be romantic -.-” Those two formed a real friendship and I’m convinced he’d be there for Dawson if she needed it. Plus, we all know Kelly is going to be the godfather. I mean he has to right?

• ndixit says:

Where in my post did I suggest anything romantic? And why would Kelly be godfather? He’s not BFF’s with either Casey or Dawson. Friends, sure, but not godfather situation. And again, why does he have to be part of every story.

• Beth says:

I think once the news breaks that Gabby is pregnant the whole of the firehouse will support her regardless as they are a family. Gabby will have to figure out on her own what this means for her career. Personally I think she will be back on the ambulance, I prefer her on the ambulance! Also as for the godfather comment if memory serves me right Kelly is Hermanns youngest child’s godfather- I think this happened in the season 1 finale so Kelly being godfather to Gabby and Matt’s child could be a possibility.

• Bwhit says:

Why would Kelly do that? Casey isn’t some deadbeat jerk, he’s always wanted to be a dad and I don’t think he would want another man taking care of Gabby and his child. Severide and Gabby work best as friends.

• Linsteadgetsonmylastnerve says:

You do realize that gabby has a BROTHER right? He is the baby’s uncle for crying out loud!

• Derrick says:

That’s a dumb thought.. Severide ain’t taking care of their child. Foh

• Why on earth would they need Severide to take care of their baby?

• Citygirl says:

I don’t see her having the baby. She has to keep the pregnancy quiet or else she has to go to a desk job. Because she fought so hard to be a firefighter, she won’t quit soon enough and something will happen and she loses the baby.

4. HeatherC says:

Great article! Lots of things to look forward to this fall although I hate the staggered starts for CPD and CF because I feel like that’s gonna hurt both show’s stories. I’m very glad they’re settling down with the current cast because too many changes make a fanbase’s heads spin (and they’re all ready spinning pretty hard). Thanks for all the information and the interview with Olmstead. It’s nice he didn’t talk in circles for once, LOL =)

5. westwingwolf says:

I was wondering what they were going to do about the late start because it’s awkward enough this probably won’t be addressed on the rest of Chicago PD this season. Except maybe Antonio will get a call from Gabby about Casey in the finale. Makes Voight & Antonio look bad if we have to wait until November to see what happens while they are on other cases. And while there is no love loss between Casey & Voight, Voight wouldn’t leave someone hanging in an operation that he brought the person into.

6. Cas says:

I love Casey and Dawson :)

7. Nancy says:

I wish they would do one episode of CF in September. It won’t work as well to have it wrapped on PD

8. m3rcnate says:

Let me guess, we are going to get the classic female firefighter/police officer is pregnant story line; They dont tell their bosses, they continue on their dangerous job, they almost get killed, they realize they are putting the baby in danger and how reckless and arrogant that is, they finally tell their boss.
    Its been done on just about every tv show that has had a female cop or firefighter get pregnant. LAME.

• Dysturbed says:

Considering that she was about to tell Casey about the pregnancy, it appears that wasn’t written to be Dawson’s intent last night, though you’re right that it could end up being what they end up doing with her.

9. Bwhit says:

Thank goodness they are going to cover this on PD, that would be torture! I really like what he said about them not getting right back together. I think after the shock and they clear up the pesky strip club murder thing, Casey will be happy about being a dad finally and I do think that they love each other so they will end up together. How about they get rid of Chilli and Put Dawson back as PIC, problem solved. Loved her and Brett this year. I

10. wrstlgirl says:

Oh goody, they are going to continue to drag out the Casey and Dawson are we or aren’t we crap. Sorry to be so blunt but I’m so tired of this. If they are going to keep Chili & Brett around, which I’m fine with, Dawson must take the desk job, assuming she keeps the baby. Yeah, she’s gonna hate that. I’ll be buying lots and lots of cheese. At least I’ll have Brett and Roman, those two together I think will be great.

11. NP says:

So sick of crossovers – Chicago Fire/PD, Arrow/Flash, SHIELD/the stupid avengers movie. Just want to watch the show I like without sitting through something else I’m not interested in! May have to drop some of these shows if they don’t cut it out

12. Dominique says:

tbh i’m kind of over this being the dawson-show. everything is always about her. we barely get any real development for other characters like cruz, otis, hermann or mouch. it’s mostly the same old ‘lets make them crack a joke and be funny’ stuff.

13. Samantha Swank says:

Ugh, I don’t watch Chicago PD so I am not super pleased they’re going to finish Casey’s story over there. I get that probably most people are watching both, but it’s super annoying when you don’t.

• Mary Ann says:

I agree. I just hate that Voight guy too much to watch the PD show. And the FD show went to a lot of trouble to make me hate him. It sucks that I am forced to watch it occasionally when they intermingle all the plots.

• Erin B says:

Yeah, I didn’t understand why they set up the Voight character to be so awful on Fire if they wanted to spin him off. I mean, he tried to have Casey killed! I only watch PD when there’s a crossover.

• J fran says:

I also hated Voight in the beginning but now I love him. He’s really bad to the bad guys, which is what I really like about him. He sets his own rules but he’ll help you if you are in trouble.

• Danielle says:

I hate that show too ugh. I only watch CF and I’m gonna watch Chicago Med

14. TiredOfCrossovers says:

I just want to watch Chicago Fire, not be forced to watch PD and SVU with all the crossovers.

15. Betsym says:

Well, there goes my theory that Katya was the leader of the bad guys. Or does it …

16. Cas says:

I want to know how when Casey was talking to Voight and Antonio outside the firehouse nobody noticed the car watching them sitting across the street?

17. Bella says:

November is too far away!!

I would rather see a Sylvie/Kelly pairing

18. smartysenior says:

I don’t watch the PD show so if the plot for this goes over there they lose me for good. How is that even an idea?

19. ann says:

I hope Casey is gone for good. His character is the wordy. And please no Matt and Gabby. She was likable until their relationship. Now she’s needy and whiny

20. Mel says:

I was hoping Gabby would end up pregnant after their hookup. I love this show except for all the ending relationships. I love Matt and Gabby together and just wish the writers would make their relationship the solid one viewers can count on to weather any storm.

21. kirj says:

I freaking love both freaking shows!!!!! can’t freaking wait till the fall!!!!!!

22. lynneric says:

Disappointed about the November return time for chicago Fire. Why ???? Who cares about Neil Patrick Harris ? He is no different or better than anyone else. Personally, I don’t care for him at all.

23. eva575 says:

Very good season finale Casey is probably kidnapped and framed for what happened to katya i wonder what will Dawson do now that she is with baby probably a desck job i like the way the house stood up for Cruz and the hookup between Brett and Roman is good i thought they were going to put Brett and Severide together

24. Danielle says:

I only watch Chicago Fire. I can’t stand Chicago PD it’s stupid and I can’t stand cops. And I can’t stand Voight he’s so ugh. He has an annoying voice. And I can’t stand Sophia bush. She’s a snot.

25. female firefighter says:

All I can say is I am sick of the Matt/Dawson relationship. Gabby is annoying and always makes stupid decisions, giving female firefighters and paramedics a bad name. The decision to make her pregnant was the worst. One more obnoxious season to deal with

26. Deej says:

ummmmmm….I would have asked them a couple of things…1) Gabby and Casey were supposedly in love since day one; when are we going to see all these ridiculous plot devices to separate them end? The only one that was believable was the first one –Casey’s girlfriend who then died. 2) The series was a terrible soap opera loaded with melodrama in season one, then dropped some of the silliness and added a good bit of realistic firefighting/paramedic rescue scenes and a bit of other drama to replace the melodrama, which made it a much better series. But the timing still favors melodrama –the drama of the real troubles of dealing with severe injuries, for example, has consistently been mishandled by a character being near-lethally or near-permanently diabled injured in one episode and completely back to normal at the start of the next episode while the melodramatic soapy stuff gets a much longer runtime. Here’s another example. Personally, I am still not sure what was going on in “We Called her Jellybean” –it seemed that the new paramedic’s (Chili) sister (Jellybean) who she barely mentioned in her intro speech to 51 was one of the serial rapist-murderer’s victims, but if that’s true then why would she have a ten second reaction in that episode and be totally normal again after that? Do you plan to give us more drama and less melodrama in season four, or to continue the sad trend? 3) We’ve had other scenes like the one in season 3’s final episode in which Casey, the Chief, Voight, and Antonio are talking outside 51 and bad guy Jack sees them without being seen himself. Scenes that literally make no sense at all –no detective would be stupid enough to meet outside their informant’s workplace in broad daylight or to meet without making some effort to determine if they were observed. Are the characters in this show supposed to be terminally stupid or are you going to make some efforts to explain reasonably in the show why this and other such incidents occur??

27. Grace says:

Why on earth do so many people seem to be against Casey and Dawson’s relationship, I don’t think I have ever been so invested in an on screen relationship as theirs, maybe that’s partly because I adore Jesse Spencer but still, how it is that you couldn’t believe they are just meant to be together is absolutely beyond me! Gabby’s pregnancy is the best storyline yet and with Casey potentially kidnapped, or worse, if you are not simply bursting to see what comes of it all, you cannot call yourself a Chicago Fire fan!

• LOLA says:

I love what you said. From s1ep1, u can c that Gabby and Matt belong together. They had lot of stop starts. Having them have a baby will be a great for the story. I love both Monica and Jesse and think they are very adorable. I’ve always been a CF fan and love this couple more than any other on tv. Hope to see a lot of Dawsey in S04.

• Tiff says:

I found your comment funny but I agree! Their relationship really is the heart of this show. How can anyone be a Chicago Fire fan and not see that?!

28. RYAN PECK says:

Will Leslie Shay (Lauren German) ever return to Chicago Fire??

29. Chan says:

Can’t wait for season 4. Love Dawson and Casey, just feels that Casey needs to fight his relationship with Dawson.

30. Deanna Sabourin says:

Better pull another fast one like you did with Dracula, that was very mean, and disappointing, and November for Chicago Fire? You will lose half of your viewers.

31. Tracy says:

Considering Gabby is in real life married to Cruz and having their 1st baby it must be weird working with each other all the time? What do you guys say to this?

• Tiff says:

Don’t know where you got your information from but everything you said is incorrect. In fact the actress that plays Gabby just got divorced last year and is most certainly NOT pregnant in real life. Good try though

32. Uriah says:

I think that it would be awesome if Gabby and Matt got back together and had a family together

33. Laura C says:

Is it just me, or do our Fall shows seem to be starting later & later? Some in Oct & Nov? I think I’ve waited long enough and it’s only early Aug. Sigh.

34. Felicity says:

I want gabby to keep the baby and does she tell her brother about it

35. Mando says:

I want to see Brett and Otis together on Season 4.

36. liz says:

It just seems to me that the powers that be at nbc are doing everything they can to sabotage this show . 12 episodes and then they spread them out in such an awful way . Just end the show and have done with it .

37. Teresa Gardiner says:

How can TV be so cruel. Just as casey and Dawson get their happy ever ending, it’s snatched away from them. They both deserve some happiness for a change. And Roman on drugs????? Or were those needles last wk in pd for something else. !!!