Post Mortems

Jane the Virgin Boss on Baby Twist, Petra's Plans and Jane's 'Definitive' Romantic Choice in Season 2

Jane the Virgin Season 2 Spoilers

Warning: The following contains spoilers for Monday night’s season finale of Jane the Virgin.

Jane the Virgin‘s heart may have been full with love after the birth of her son on Monday night’s finale, but it’s going to be filled with worry in Season 2.

But fret not, baby Mateo’skidnapping at the hands of Sin Rosetro will be resolved quickly, executive producer Jennie Urman assures TVLine.

“I will say she’s going to get the baby back fairly early on,” she reveals. “We’re a comedy, and you can’t laugh once there’s a baby missing.”

Also in store next season: a possible new pregnancy, now that Petra has Rafael’s sperm sample; a decision in the Team Michael vs. Team Rafael debate; and plenty of challenges to Xo and Rogelio’s surprise marriage.

TVLINE | So, why a boy? What did you think a baby boy would bring to the mix for the family?
I thought it would throw them off their game a little. I felt like they really had it down pat with girls, and they were all prepared for girls. It’s a family of women — what kind of man do they want to raise? What do they know? What do they not know? I felt like it would really challenge them and delight them… That moment of, “It’s a boy?! What?,” it’s very fitting for our show.

TVLINE | Why would Sin Rosetro want a baby? An infant and criminal activity do not seem to mix well.
It’s not out of this maternal instinct that she’s had brewing. She needs something very specific that we will reveal right when we come back, and the baby is the best bargaining chip to get it.

TVLINE | Will Michael’s investigation into Sin Rosetro be key in finding Mateo?
Yes, Michael’s going to be very key to finding Mateo. Absolutely.

Jane the Virgin Season 2 SpoilersTVLINE | Does that draw Jane and Michael together more?
It’s going to draw all three of them together, because once there’s a missing baby, it’s not about who do you love and who gives you butterflies. It’s about getting the baby back. You’re going to see Michael, Rafael and Jane all work together, and once [they] get the baby back, it’s going to leave them all in a different place.

TVLINE | Once the dust settles, is Jane forced to choose between Michael and Rafael?
There’s going to be a real, definitive choice in the second season.

Jane the Virgin Season 2 Spoilers

TVLINE | Will Rogelio and Xo’s marriage stick?
That’s going to be a big question, and they’re going to feel about it, at different moments, in different ways. We’re going to bring people from Rogelio’s past that are going to stress that marriage. For Xo, there’s going to be a little bit of, “That was the way [I] got married?” She’s done a lot of things in her life, except get married. There’s going to be a little bit of a letdown, and she can’t get married for the first time again.

TVLINE | Is there more to the second sperm sample twist than just “This is Rafael’s second sperm sample?”
You’ll have to wait and see.

TVLINE | Some suspicions came to mind when I was watching the episode, the first being that they mixed up his sample with somebody else’s and that Jane’s baby is not really his.
Mateo is definitely Rafael’s.

TVLINE | OK, good. The other one, raised by someone in the comments section of my recap, was that the sample Petra has is not actually Rafael’s.
It is Rafael’s. [Laughs]

TVLINE | We’re clearing some stuff up here! So what does this mean for Petra? Is what she’s doing going to be played in a comedic light or a more sinister one, since she’s doing something pretty terrible behind Rafael’s back?
I like that she keeps trying to steal his sperm. And you’ve seen, it’s definitely a good sample. [Laughs] Underneath it all with Petra, they had a life that they were planning… When he turns it on with her [in the finale], she is suddenly vulnerable and sweet. All she wants is his love and affection. She’s taking it right then at the end because she found out she’s been played and she’s not really sure what she’s going to do with it, except get it and see what comes from there.

TVLINE | Every season could be the journey of a different pregnancy if she gets pregnant.
It definitely could. And that is definitely something we talked about.

1. jeff says:

Excited for next season. One small correction though, its Sin Rostro (meaning without a face in Spanish).

2. Michael needs to move on. Rafael will always be in the picture. Hope Rafael will find out that petra has his sperm, and do something about it. Petra is evil

• Erin B says:

I loved the idea that it was actually Rafael’s father’s sample. I’m disappointed to get confirmation that it is really his. I hope the show doesn’t go there with Petra. It would be nice for them to have a baby sister for Mateo down the road, pending they get back together of course.

• johnhelvete says:

I love the idea of Petra having Rafael’s second child and all of the complications that would bring. The girl or boy would still be Mateo’s half sibling and I think even with all of the drama between the parents, the two kids could in theory be close.

• Chris says:

but it would be nice for “THEM” to have the baby sister. Not Petra.. She needs Karma to find her and punch her in the throat… I hope that Rafael does have another sample, but not that one. I hope it is a different Rafael.. His father’s would be great. Then Petra could be the Mother of Rafael’s sibling… That would be FANTASTIC..!!! then Jane and Rafael can expand their family, or Give Rafael can at the very least be able to chose the woman he has the next child… even if it isn’t Jane.

• franky says:

I hate Petra and I hope she misscarries that baby she is manpulative and evil and she should not be a mother to any child. If she does have the baby I think that Rafael should talk to a lawyer and seeing the sample was stolen there should be a court order stating Rafael to have sole custody or better yet Jane and Rafael have sole custody and that Petra joins her mom in prison heck she should have to be in jail for the pregnancy

• brandydanforth81 says:

ITA on all counts

• saijal says:

I really reallly really hope that jane or rafael finds out petra’s devious idea about ruining rafael and jane with the sperm idea….. would really hate to see jane and rafael’s “new family” being broken…gosh i am sooo addicted to this series….hope it lasts a long time. And hat off to the directors,produces,the cast and everyone else who made this series as awesome as it is! ……love everything about it…just cant miss an episode and certainly cant wait for october for season 2 #I♡JaneTheVirgin!!!!!! ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

• Mukta says:

I agree with you …..the concept is so different !!!!!
        I just hope that Petra doesnt impregnate herself with raf’s last sample !!!!!
        Rafael and Jane look amazing together !!!!!!
        I cant wait for the 2nd season !!!!!!!!!!

• Toneshia Garcia says:

For real I hope Jane and Rafael get married and have more kids

3. Erin B says:

I am very glad to hear the baby kidnapping story will be wrapped up quickly. That would not make great comedy! So whose face does Rose have now? Someone we already know or a new one? I can’t wait for it to return!

4. Shannon says:

I kind of loved how Rafael was all, “Line forms here for all baby boy questions.” I thought it was sweet since Jane is such a planner and has everything figured out, now Rafael is the one who can shed light on this particular aspect of parenting.

5. kate says:

It will NOT be a comedy if Petra gets pregnant with Rafael or anyone’s sperm-she is just plain evil. i am hoping the sample is ruined because she has it out of the freezer. Please hook her up with someone else!! hope the ex that bought her into the hotel comes back.

6. Jane says:

Is Petra getting pregnant

7. Jane says:

Is Petra taking the spirm

8. Gillian says:

I guess im in the minority but I love petra and I hope she gets pregnant and is ensured to stick around. I also kinda like petra and rafael, mostly because i like petra and I would much rather jane/michael but still. Team Petra!

• Jeri says:

Petra is EVIL. She lied & tricked Raf to begin with, tried again and look how she is using her Mother. (Yes, her Mother is evil too.) She sometimes appears cute & amusing but then shows how truly evil she actually is.

• Amanda says:

Well, honestly Rafael tricked Petra to be with him in the beginning…don’t forget she was dating that other guy (forgot his name)and Raf stole her from him out of spite, so it kinda like karma is getting Raf too.

• franky says:

Raf couldn’t make Petra do anything she didn’t want to do. She was the one who decided to cheat and leave. Besides doesn’t matter what a person was like it matters who they become and Raf is a stand up man. Petra is an ugly b***h that’s is not pretty enough to be that cruel and evil. Besides how desperate and pathetic does one have to be in order to be that manipulative if you have to go threw those extremes to get someone why would you want to be with hime obviously ur not going to be happy if he wants to be somewhere else

9. kkmr514 says:

Ya know, I really don’t think they’ll go through with Petra having the baby…even if she does wind up pregnant. If she did, it’d be too complication to have Jane’s baby & Petra’s baby be siblings. One’s grandmother literally tried to kill the others, and one mother tried to cover it up.

• Lillie ñ says:

Well, I think they would… Drama is their specialty, I was hoping it wasn’t really raphaels sperm but she confirmed that it is, which totally breaks my heart. That last statement mentioned that each season will focus on a pregnancy. So unless xiomara’s old behind gets pregnant, it’s Petra. And xiomara and Rogelio are just trying to get over the fact that they are married and work through that. There’s still so much to that story line on its own, I doubt she’s pregnant… But there was a share last season. So maybe. You really never know. Hahs

10. brittany says:

I dont think Michael should back down. Just because Jane was accidently having Rafaels baby does not mean they have to be together.

11. Ana says:

I don’t want Petra to get Pregnant

• saijal says:

I hope petra doesnt get pregnant. And certainly not liking the idea that jane’s baby and petra’s baby should be siblings…i think there should be another drama every1 is faced with instead petra getting pregnant….im sorry to say but i really cant stand petra although rafael has also screwed up…by making petra leave lachlan…he desevers to be forgiven and given a second chance by jane. I really want things to work out between them. Rafael does love jane and he was under pressure about the hotel his parents etc etc etc…. so i did not like the fact that he chose to leave jane when she could have helped him but i loved it because it left me thinking about alot of questions after that episode….but i really loved when rafael opened up too his sister about his problems including jane….that was really sweet…. and raf loves jane because when she quit her job for 2 weeks raf couldnt stay without her…so i think they are meant to be….its destiny being also they always met with each other. So i am definitely on #TeamJANE&RAFAEL♡♡♡

12. Jennifer says:

Sin Rostro will use Mateo in exchange for the Marbella. Leaving Rafael with the clothes on his back, as well as Jane and Mateo. ;) (That’s the “leaving everyone in different places” comment Jenny mentioned)

Also, Petra will use the extra sample to get Rafael. However she will end up falling for Michael while pregnant.

13. Tiara H says:

When is the new season

14. Amanda says:

I don’t think Michael should go ANYWHERE! He was with Jane first, so why should he go? It wasn’t like he just blew in out of no where, he truly understands Jane and accepts her for who she is. Rafael accepts Jane, but only on his terms, is he coming around, slightly…however he still puts his needs first! It just seems like Jane and Rafael just blossomed out of nowhere, they don’t have a real history (he barely remember her and he wasn’t that interested seeing he didn’t call her afterwards) and all this chemistry people are pinning on them I don’t see. For all those who say Michael has lied, he did, but how far off was his assumptions? He wanted Jane away from Rafael because he knew that Rafael would try and steal her away..it happened! Michael knew that those Solanos were crazy…he was right. His methods were stupid, but he predicted all of the outcomes. If Jane had never met that dysfunctional family, she would have graduated school, not been pregnant, Alma wouldn’t have gotten pushed down the stairs, Jane would still have a job and it was Michael who help her decide to go to graduate school. Mateo is the only good thing that come from meeting Rafael

• Lou says:

He asked her to have an abortion. Then he wanted to dump the baby with criminal Petra. Michael -the character – disgusts me.

• SinRostro #TEAMRAFAEL says:

OMG i find someone who thinks the same as me, so happy i totally agree with you, he just annoys me so much, i cant stand him

• Aria says:

I’m totally #TeamRafael. Sure, he’s a tad bit self-centered but he’s mellowing out, which is a good thing. If Jane chooses Michael, I’d completely understand her line of reason, but I won’t be happy about it. Rafa said it himself—”I’ve never had this type of connection with anyone in my entire life.” You don’t just say that off the cuff. He meant it. I feel like Jane has deep feelings for both men, but ultimately I feel as though Rafa would be a better father than Michael. Let’s not forget Michael’s profession—he could die in the line of duty at any moment. And it would be so awkward having “two” fathers, and technically two mothers if Petra sticks around. Which, I pray doesn’t happen.

Regardless, I feel like as though Jane and Rafa’s connection is deeper than she and Michael’s. I can’t get with Michael. As said before, he wanted Jane to get an abortion because of HIS personal feelings. He’s attacking Rafael (verbally, of course) when he knows how much Jane cares for him. Even if you do love someone, you aren’t going to try and wreck something, or someone, that they love. Idk.

15. benovix says:

I totally concur. From the looks of it, Rafael and Petra are probably right for each other

16. Laila says:

Cant deal right now that finale was epic! BUT I will stop watching this show if Petra gets pregnant.

17. Laila says:

Cant deal right now! that finale was epic! BUT I WILL stop watching if Petra gets pregnant.

18. JBC says:

No No No to a pregnant Petra!!

19. Roxanne says:

I really love the show and hope to have season 2 start real soon but one thing i feel that needs to go is petra and Michael’s obsession….i feel the storyline would be even better with out all that

20. Roxanne says:

I love the show and can’t wait for season 2….but honestly i am tired of petra and Michael’s obsessions that they have…..its becoming to repetitive and honestly needs to just be cut out of the story line in my opinion

21. Sophia says:

I can’t wait for season 2. I hope Jane chooses Rafael

22. SinRostro #TEAMRAFAEL says:

ok jane will choose michael or rafael in the 2 season.. michael annoys me very much, if she choose him over rafael i will be forced to stop watching this

23. SinRostro #TEAMRAFAEL says:

#TeamRafael all the way

24. Brianna says:

I believe Jane should go back to Michael he’s always been by her side been there for her understands her while Rafael cares to much about himself and his work and he never took the time to get to know Jane he always talked about work he care about getting the liquor license back more than spending the time with Jane and I believe Rafael still loves Petra Rafael is bad for Jane I believe Jane should be with Michael

25. Antoinette says:

I live in Australia, the only place we could get Jane the virgon was on foxtel, will they show the next series.

Hope its a yes!!
    Antoinette

• T says:

If you have NEtflix, get a Chrome extension called Hola unblocker and you can watch it from “US netflix”. I’m in Canada and this is what I do

26. Maguerite says:

Please make it stop – the title says Jane the Virgin. Once that’s over with stop the whole thing please. I think I’m the only person in the world who is becoming really irritated with selfish ambitious Jane.

• #teamdrama says:

You are not alone. Jane is cool but there are numerous times when she is just too selfish and I understand she’s “judgey” but she is over the top drama and can be a little annoying. I just can’t see two men fighting over such a dramatic judge mental person without getting any. But I love juice so am still excited for season two!!

27. luwam says:

I absolutely loved the first season of Jane the virgin. It almost felt like her love between Rafael and Michael was the truth and it made me feel different types of emotions along with the character of Jane.

I cannot wait to see what’s the happenings of season 2 and if whether Jane’s choice is to be with Rafael or Michael. Personally, I think her and Rafael’s relationship makes more sense and realier I don’t know!

28. Mukta says:

Hey , I dont want Petra impregnate herself with Raf’s sperm ……they did want a kid once but that wont be nice now that Raf has fallen for jane !!!!
    I really like Rafael and Jane !!!!!!!

29. Ashanti says:

im pulling for team Rafael

30. harrybetty says:

i want petra to be shame between jane nd rafeal because they both love each other
    xoxo ##rafeal team

31. nik says:

Does she finally have sex? If yes with who? I think it should be a guy she just meets in lobby so R or M can’t claim her cherry. She uses that guy for that reason. M had been waiting 2+ years and R has been waiting at least 10 months or more plus he is father of child. Didn’t think I would like show but I do so do my boys teens…lol

32. rebecca says:

I think Jane should go with Rafael on the last episode of season two Jane said Michael knew her best but she was forgetting that the only one she told she wanted to be a writer was Rafael. Also Rafael has been a sounding board for her about different discussions. As for Petra

• rebecca says:

I like her character but don’t think she should be with Rafael. And it even said in the beginning that she was just staying with him until she could get more money from Rafael.

33. Anonymous says:

I could not keep watching this show if Petra had Rafael’s baby… GAH just no!! Petra needs to leave!

34. Lilly says:

Please make Jane and Rafael stay together pleas pleas pleas and pleas don’t Mack Petra have his baby because I think that Jane and Rafael should stay together and a twist at the end would be that they got married and Petra is out of the picture for now but please don’t Mack Petra and Rafael be together

35. Lilly says:

Pleas mack Jane and Rafael be together and Petra is not pregnant I know some people would want that but I think it will gust make the show not good

• Amanda says:

I think it would be dramatic if she were pregnant with “Rafael’s offspring” and when she is in the delivery room, it would be obvious that it was in fact, not his child. The plot would “thrust” forward with Petra being inseminated with the wrong sperm. And at last, the 2nd sample would be found for Jane and Raph’s use. 😊😊😊😊

• Amanda says:

v v v v v v
        I just started watching Jane the Virgin late last Saturday and tore right through Chapters 24 by Monday night. This show is ☺️☺️☺️. And Raph and Jane are 😍😍😍. It’s kinda like relationship goals but not. More like “let’s just stick to the PAP smear instead”

36. Jena says:

Pleasee do not let Petra get pregnant!! Nooo it will be a disaster, Jane and him are meant to be together because she levels him out they’re good as a team. Only reason why Petra wants a baby is to get back at him. She doesn’t deserve it she’s done nothing but wrongs in the season. Rafael needs to know she has it before shr causes chaos!

37. Eliane Dorado says:

is petra going to get herself pregnant ?

38. LauraNRiad says:

I can’t stand petra, she needs to just leave the show… Gold digging, evil, ugly who*e… I really would like Jane and Michael to be together though, I felt so bad when Jane left him for that big nosed freak Rafael, something Michael was afraid 😨 of :-(

39. Nay says:

So is petras babies going to be Raphaels or when he found it saying it was Raphaels sample did he put raphaels sample in another jar and put his inside lol that would be hilarious and i honestly hope that is what is happening i would be pissed if it is raphaels i wouldn’t watch the show anymore.

40. Rangulo10@yahoo.com says:

Jane and Michael should be toghter because .He knows more a about Jane.they are a perfect.

41. Victoria says:

If Petra gets pregnant with Rafael’s sperm or Jane ends up with Michael I will be so angry. Petra and Michael need to go away.

42. Tanya says:

I hope that if Petra does become pregnant near the end of her pregnancy she is in a car accident or something that putsch her in a coma and they delivery the baby safely so that Jane and Rafeal can raise it