TVLine Items: Modern Star Receives Confirmation, SNL 'Exit' Nixed and More

Eric Stonestreet Confirmation

HBO’s Confirmation has confirmed another cast member: Modern Family vet Eric Stonestreet.

The upcoming TV movie chronicles the 1991 Supreme Court nomination hearings, in which lawyer Anita Hill famously testified against Clarence Thomas about reports he had sexually harassed her.

Per The Hollywood Reporter, Stonestreet will play lobbyist Ken Duberstein, who was assigned by President George Bush to get Thomas appointed to the high court.

As previously reported, Wendell Pierce (Treme, The Odd Couple) will portray Thomas opposite Scandal‘s Kerry Washington as Hill.

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* Despite rumors that he would leave at the end of Season 40, Saturday Night Live staple Kenan Thompson confirmed on Monday that he will return for the show’s 41st year.

* Ahead of Mad Men‘s series finale, AMC will air an every-episode-ever marathon, beginning with the pilot on May 13 at 6 pm and ending with the final episode on May 17 at 10 pm.

* USA Network has ordered to series Queen of the South, its drama project based on the novel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. The 13-episode series, which follows a young woman who infiltrates a Spanish drug-trafficking ring, will premiere in 2016.

* History has released a new trailer for Texas Rising, its 10-hour event series starring Bill Paxton, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Ray Liotta (among many others). Get your first look with the two-minute video below:

1. Mr. Tran K says:

I’m shocked about Kenan Thompson returning to SNL next season. Everyone thought that he was going to leave the show after this season but it looks like he’s now entering his 13th year as a cast member. Now the big question is what other cast member besides Kenan is leaving SNL for good? My money’s on Kyle Mooney.

• Marc says:

Last fall’s false TNZ story about Thompson leaving SNL reminds me how similar entertainment journalism is to sports journalism with inside sources like executives and agents lying and spreading rumors to reporters left and right for their own purposes, whether it is to leverage money, get some press, or make friends with journalists. You’d think reporters would lose trust in sources that lie or pass false rumors, but they repeat them anyway since they are sometimes correct.

• Faye says:

I do not get Mooney’s humor but Lorne apparently does since he continues uses his digital short bits. The only way I see Kyle leaving i by his choice and doing small independent films that won’t interest me.

• Shazay says:

Kyle, Colin, Beck, Pete – all 4 need to go. I’d rather see them 4 go than have Kenan leave. I think he’s way to comfortable there, but if I had to choose, I’d rather he stay and those 4 guys leave. Pete is just ok……If i had to show one of them mercy, it would be him. Che should be taken off the WU desk. If I had to save him or Colin, I would chose Che, but Cecily was so much better at WU than BOTH of them.

• AnnieM says:

But, the media has been calling it ‘Kenan’s last season’ for what – the past 4 seasons I think. Anyway, I’m glad he’s staying.

2. iHeart says:

well at least we won’t have to put up with What’s Up With That on Saturday. I wonder if there will be any cameos. I can probably see Kate McKinnon leaving soon, but she’s only been on for three and a half seasons (it’s half because she joined in April of 2012 in the Sophia Vergara episode)

• Mr. Tran K says:

You may wonder if next season is going to be the end for Kenan Thompson on SNL but he may pulled a Jason Sudeikis on everyone else.

3. dan says:

Guess Kenan decided job security was more important than taking a risk. I don’t blame him! Maybe over the summer hiatus he can work on a few different facial expressions and impersonations. Just sayin’

4. Wendell Pierce is one of the finest actors on TV. He has always put in amazing and memorable performances – Suits and Treme for examples. Treme was so undervalued and disappeared quietly and that was too bad. He will excel in this part and probably get an Emmy. Then on to get a Tony and eventually an Oscar.

5. cuius says:

The saddest news is that there is to be a 41st season – think there have been more fails than hits this season

6. et al. says:

Very sad to hear Kenan will be back.