Chicago Fire Finale Recap: Turf War

Chicago Fir Gabby Pregnant Matt Missing

The tension was so thick between Truck and Rescue Squad on Tuesday’s season finale of Chicago Fire, I half expected the two groups to break into a musical number from West Side Story.

But before we dissect the us vs. them war, let’s get to the juicy stuff: Gabby finally realizes she’s not under the weather, but preggers! She heads to Matt’s place (to tell him the news, I assume), but instead finds it ransacked, Matt M.I.A. and Katia dead on the floor. Um… Where are Voight and Antonio, who promised to keep him safe?! Someone’s going to have a lot of explaining to do to his sister.

OK, back to the West Chicago Side Story: After things get intense during a call, one by one, each Truck member sits down and puts their feet up on squad’s table as an act of rebellion and solidarity. Then there’s much yelling as Casey accuses Severide of being blinded by his friendship with Rice, which finally forces Severide to look into his pal’s story. And wouldn’t you know it, Rice was lying about his faulty regulator. He’s got a semi-compelling defense — he was scared of leaving his child an orphan — but so does Severide.

Chicago Fir Gabby Pregnant Matt Missing“There’s a lot of men with families in the CFD, but everyone when they report for this job puts it all out there,” Severide tells him. He just wasn’t ready to be back on the job, and so, Rice is fired. As a result, Cruz, who secretly got his certification, is promoted to Rescue Squad, while Otis finally gets to drive the truck.

The 51 bond is further strengthened when Boden risks his own life to save Dawson and Severide, and Cruz takes on another Chief, who’s about to cook the building the two are inside. When someone from high on up comes looking for answers, the entire firehouse takes the blame for threatening the Chief.

Elsewhere, Brett hooks up with Roman from Chicago P.D. (you go, girl!) and a competitor beats Chili to the market even after she got Scottie Pippen to agree to be the spokesperson for Chileze (poor girl!).

Chicago Fire fans, what did you think of the season ender? Got theories about what happened to Matt? Are you into the idea of another cross-show romance? Grade the episode via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

1. Mara says:

I hate that they made Otis right. He was such a jerk, totally turned off by his character.I wish they would get rid of him next season.

• m3rcnate says:

I have to agree. It doesn’t really matter if he is right or wrong, he was being an arrogant immature pompous ass and spreading rumors/gossip like that in a community of firefighters is horrible.

• Bos says:

Totally agree! It s insanity to get rid of the characters of Shay and Mills in order to open up story lines… and keep this creepy silly Otis character. I was hoping he was gone!

2. Bwhit says:

So are Gabby and Matt going to tell their baby that they ‘were a reaction to the stress of the day’.

My only issue with the finale is I have to wait till November to see season 4, thanks NBC!

• Dysturbed says:

On a more positive note, that means less gaps between new episodes once the show begins, rather than the couple of new episode, couple of repeat, new cycle that tends to happen later in the season.

• Bos says:

Waiting until November.. then we have on again off again weeks. No one kills off a show better than NBC.

3. Chris says:

Not liking the newest cast addition…she is annoying on this show.

• ? says:

They need to tweak her character a bit in the off season, for sure.

• Mary Ann says:

She is very “smiley”. No one smiles that much during a conversation.

• superfan12 says:

I thought I was the only one that found her annoying and kinda pushy
      who gets mad because someone states that Thai food will upset their stomach
      they should’ve gotten rid of her

4. Liz says:

Loved the finale. My only issue is that I have to wait until November because of that neil Patrick show 😒
    I was also a tad bit annoyed that I have to wait until next season to get the answer I’ve been waiting for since dawsey broke up(will they get back together or not). The episode was great. I miss mills and shay but happy of Dawson and Severide’s friendship again and also happy that Cruz made squad!!

5. Chloe says:

Very happy that Otis turned out to be right. If Rice had turned out to be telling the truth, then Otis never would have heard the end of it. My only complaint is that Severide should have apologized to Otis.
    The episode was awesome. I’m guessing Katya was killed by Nesbitt’s goons so that they could frame Casey.

• Jess says:

No no no. As the comments stated above Otis was being an absolute jerk about the whole thing and making matters worse. He has to be my least favorite character

• Erin B says:

I think in a way Severide saying that he threatened the chief was his way of apologizing to truck. He could have said something separately to Otis though. I agree with you that I was happy to see Otis vindicated. I figured it was coming but glad to see it all the same. I think too that Katya is either a frame up or perhaps a message. I wondered why they would be so stupid to meet outside with the police.

• Sheila says:

Yep, Erin. Why were they meetng outside!? Boden has an office for that! Also Otis was owed an apology by Severide. He was villified. rice was putting them all at risk. Even Chief was asking if Otis needed a vacation. Severide was a dumb jerk.

6. S says:

The scenes with Severide and Dawson were great, even just them hugging again in the bar after making it through the fire. All I’ve been able to think of is that the actress playing Katia/Katya also played Cammie in Coyote Ugly. Pretty much playing a similar role (minus some interesting group “dances”), and that girl hasn’t aged at all!

7. BetsyBoo says:

WHY couldn’t they leave Gabby in the fire???? I’m not intentionally trying to troll – and clearly i would not wish a pregnant woman dead, but good GRIEF she is killing this show. (I might be still carrying some bitterness that she and Casey are even on the same shift…) She makes me batty.

• wrstlgirl says:

Can’t say that I disagree with you. She is my least fav for sure.

• Dysturbed says:

I still always look forward to your posts about Dawson :)

• wrstlgirl says:

Hahahaha, I wish I didn’t feel the way I do, but I do and I don’t see that changing unfortunately. For me the character is just so predictable and needy which is a huge turn off. I like her more single, the whole Casey/Dawson love story is so boring, lol.

• CJ says:

I don’t hate her, but I’d have preferred to have kept Shay on the show more than Dawson. Monica Raymund is wonderful but the writers have made a mess of her character (and quite a few others).

• Kelli says:

I could not agree with you more!!! Dawson’s character is awful.

• Kathy says:

She is by far the most boring and annoying character on the show but for some reason she gets the most time. Still baffled that it was Shay that had to be killed off and not her…

8. YESSSSSSSSSSS! Gabby is preggo! How am I supposed to wait until November without her telling Matt, with Matt going missing and possibly being framed for murder? The wait is going ti kill me. I absolutely love the scenes between Dawson and Severide. Need more of that next season. The episode was very good but the wait is going to be a killer!

9. Pamkg says:

Love the show, do miss Mills and Shay. Would not change a thing about it. Every character is an integral part of the whole. Great work to all.

10. rk535 says:

Loved the episode!! bummed we have to wait until fall for more. Love when we have cross over plots.

11. m3rcnate says:

Pregnant? Really? I mean…talk about the typical will-they-wont-they on-again-off-again soapy couple. First hes engaged and shes in love with him, his fiancee dies but she gettin is busy with the 20 year old kid (Mills, gross), then they get together, then i think they break up, then they get together again, then they break up, then they sleep together and now shes pregnant? I mean…really? That’s what you are going with? What a cheap way to force her out of being able to be a firefighter.
    Also i cant stand lazy/bad writing, and having two veteran detectives meet with their undercover at his place of work (a place the bad guy is VERY familiar with as a former firefighter) is MORONIC. Not only should Casey no better to not be in sight of the public with them (first thing you’d be paranoid about is having a bad guy tailing you to make sure you are legit) and veteran detectives above everyone should be aware of this. Lazy writing.
    Guys/gals…you (as someone with a detective sibling) walk into your ex BF/GF’s apartment, its dark, it was obviously broken into and stuff smashed, your ex is currently working undercover for the cops to take down a dangerous human trafficking ring. Do you;
    A) Keep aimlessly walking deeper and deeper into the apartment calling out your exes name loudly?
    or
    B) Back out of the apartment in-case a violent criminal is still in there, get out your phone, call you detective sibling, wait for the police, then go in when they have secured the apartment?
    If you said option A, if you said option A while pregnant, you dont deserve to hold any job above janitor and should be sterilized so you dont ever produce any offspring.

• ? says:

Cops meet with firefighters all the time, especially detectives with lieutenants. They could have been talking about any on-the-job incident. It’s nothing the nightclub owner should have been suspicious of if he observed it (but, of course, he WAS . . .).

As for your second issue, well, maybe Severide bumped into the entire apartment stumbling home drunk. Hey, you never know.

• m3rcnate says:

…really? He (Casey) is newly undercover in a deadly human trafficking ring and standing outside his place of work, having a meeting with TWO detectives and then shaking their hands? Bad guys don’t give you the benefit of the doubt, they grab you, torture you and find out if you are a mole and then kill you.
        And again…really? Whats going through Gabby’s mind isn’t that the guy she loves who just started an undercover operation with deadly human traffickers and who both her and SEVERIDE couldn’t get on the phone, is that Severide came home drunk (yet Gabby left before he did) and knocked stuff over? No. Once she see’s broken stuff and the door open she connects A & B that something happened cause of her making him go undercover.

• ILENE says:

Couldn’t agree more with everything you said. Show was predictable and we all know Matt is safe and sound.

• wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, the same when Severide and Dawson were trapped in the building. It was good and everything but you knew they weren’t going to die so there was really no drama unless you’re completely gullible.

• m3rcnate says:

Yeah these Network shows have really really really picked up with the “tension” of characters dying (i believe because characters dying off of shows is such a hit right now with GOT and TWD and a few others, fans love the real tension and unpredictability). Problem is on network TV its faux tension, its hyped up cause of the previews and mid week teaser trailers but we all know unless its a finale everyone is safe. It just makes the shows MORE boring to see the characters in dangerous situations and the DUN DUN DUN “OMG WILL THEY DIE?!” music come on when we know they wont. Its lame.

• wrstlgirl says:

I really hate in this new internet era of television that you can’t even have a character’s death without the network announcing that there is going to be one. They don’t tell you who but they tell you that someone is going to die in a particular episode. It really ruins the suspense if you ask me. I’d rather be completely surprised.

• Bos says:

Actually a couple of years ago, I though everyone as safe, but Shay was killed off. You never know about this Wolf guy. They just killed a character on Chicago PD for the same idiotic reason – “to open up story lines.” That is the mantra of laziness.

• bj says:

This pregnant storyline has done it for me. Bad enough we had a year of fighting and whining. Imagine that on hormones.

A firefighter who took so long to get her position would not be “forgetting” birth control. She’d be on a monthly pill to regulate things while she was working at least. I hate that they’re turning this show into a soap to mollify the hormonal youngsters who want everyone in every show to hook up and turn out little babies. (They probably have names picked out already.)

I also thought it was sloppy writing to have the ad for the french champagne suddenly pop up in the spot that was supposed to be broadcasting theirs. Also Hermann had told her weeks ago about patenting her idea. If she had a patent no one else could steal it. It didn’t make sense.

I also confess to really disliking Otis in the last few eps. It will take a while for him to get back in my good graces.

I also confess to chuckling at the Brett/Roman hookup. That was believable and fun. (And it keeps it out of the squad.)

• m3rcnate says:

This show from the beginning has been a soap in prime-time drama clothing. What do we have now? Shonda Rhimes shows (Grey’s Anatomy, How to Get Away with Murder, Scandal), and others like the Good Wife, Chicago PD/Fire/Med, etc.
        Don’t be fooled, these aren’t even close to the classic high quality TV dramas like The West Wing and ER, or even rare shows on Network TV now; POI, Fringe (cancelled), Madam Secretary, Elementary, etc. Real TV Dramas. Shows not packed full of salacious melodrama. So they do exist on network TV but they are rare.

• Bos says:

They can’t have her pregnant. I suspect the smoke inhalation and being deprived of oxygen will cause a miscarriage.

• Kalli says:

The only contraception that is 100% effective is not using the equipment in the first place. If she had any reason to suspect being pregnant it likely would not have taken her feeling unwell and not liking the smell of pickles to go running for a test – she would have had the test already and have been waiting for her period to be late enough for it to be accurate. Also, not all women need to or choose to use the pill so they can be regular for work. Of all things, that made more sense than some of the other things in the episode.

• Lexi says:

Thank you very well stated. In all these shows the “professional” women have never heard of birth control or any type of protection. Yet they’re involved with aids vics. Daily. Otis is not a fave… sorry the storyline proved him right but love that his side b_ _ ch Cruz now on squad … so was Cruz really caring about Rice issue or did he want Rices job

• KCMullis says:

You pretty much covered everything I was thinking about last night’s episode. I love this show but seriously? Option B, Dawson.

Only other question I have is why didn’t Dawson and Severide’s radios work? (or why didn’t they use them?)

12. HeatherC says:

I loved the finale! I thought it was fantastic and though I hate waiting until November to find out what happens, I’m definitely going to enjoy having less breaks during the later part of S4 because those totally kill the momentum of a show and I hated that this season. I’m super stoked that Gabby is pregnant because with that news, her nearly dying, Matt going through whatever kidnapping/trauma he’s going through, and just them finally being in a much better place as friends, it paves a good path towards them getting back together at some point. I’ve really missed seeing Dawsey together! Loved Boden in every single scene last night. That man is a true LEADER and he was absolutely awesome and total badass in saving Gabby and Kelly. Glad the house isn’t fighting anymore too! Otis was a pain in the behind for sure but I think it was just because he realized that Rice’s actions were going to get someone hurt if they didn’t do something about him. The house standing together at the end actually made me cry because it finally felt like a family there again. =) I LOVE Cruz on Squad. That’s gonna be fun to follow next season. Thank you so much for the review Vlada and see you in Season Four!!! =D

13. Hmm says:

While I enjoyed the finale, I couldn’t help but be annoyed by weird plot holes/things that didn’t make sense. Most notably, why would two high-ranking detectives, the fire chief and lieutenant think it was at ALL a good idea to be having a conversation OUT IN THE OPEN about an undercover operation? That was incredibly lazy and disappointing. I’m also really annoyed that Dawson is gonna be pregnant, mostly because I am so tired of Dawson/Casey and the fact that their “romance” has been dragging down the show. Also, I have been HERE for a Severide/Dawson romance since season one because there is so much sexual tension between them. I really thought for a second he was going to kiss her when he thought they were dying. Another coupling I never knew I wanted before now was Brett and Roman. Really hope they continue on with that. I also hope the Casey story gets wrapped up before PD’s end because it’ll be weird not to see them address it on the show. But I won’t hold my breath. Lastly, now that Cruz has opened up a spot on truck, wondering who will come in and replace him?

14. Kalli says:

This really suffered from being tied to Chicago PD as I cannot believe they could be so desperate as to have Voight go to Casey for help and then abandon him for another case. There was not even a mention of him or this case in last week’s PD and we know, both logically and from in-show references that they handle other cases than the ones we see. So it’s okay to cross over for a big event but not when the story would benefit? No wonder Casey still can’t trust Voight,

15. wrstlgirl says:

The best part of the finale was Cruz. So glad he got the spot on Squad, he definitely deserved it. and yeah, Otis was being an a** but when you’re right you’re right and had he not pressed the issue someone eventually may have died because of it. I had to laugh at Dawson trying to “save” that guy in the burning building. So the best kept secret, NOT, that she is pregnant came true, bleh. Something tells me that Gabs isn’t gonna be to happy with Antonio, wtf, I thought they were supposed to have Casey’s back. Also, loved Brett and Roman hooking up, hope that carries over into next season.

I don’t have a problem with waiting until November for the show to come back. I’ve got plenty of things to keep me busy so no biggie.

16. eva575 says:

I think the finale was very good i am glad Otis was right and that Severide got to the bottom of it chief boden a life saver and Cruz standing up to that other chief was good and Cruz making squad awesome now rice can go be a dad and not worry i no Casey will be ok but Dawson is going to be pissed that Antonio and voight didn’t watch out for Casey and Roman and Brett hooking up was good i hope it wasn’t a one time thing all in all good finale

17. Jeri says:

I like all the characters & don’t want any changes. Enough already. Some character arcs are better than others but I like them together.

18. Das Snow says:

Otis is a jerk. Yeah he was right about Wells but he handled it so poorly. Not a fan of you anymore

19. Carli says:

Very good cliffhanger. Casey is missing. What happened? He got caught talking to Chicago PD. Was he believed?
    Cross romance ? I really don’t care.
    Otis has heart. I for one am glad Otis was proven correct!!! He is just a bit intense. He also acted like a big baby. And he read the situation on Rice correctly.

20. Omar says:

The season finale was great! Idk why people are bagging on Otis though. Im pretty sure Rice was just brought in to the show to create tension and conflict between squad and truck and then show them all happy and together like everyone knows they are. When the show ended it showed them all happy smiling and having eachothers back. This doesnt revolve around Otis and he was right if anything the heat should be on Rice who shouldnt have chose a dangerous job if he truly didnt wanna leave his son an orphan. His actions couldve killed the other men he told would have their back.

21. LOLA says:

I’ve just watched the finale of CF S3 and think it was excellent. By far one of the best series I’ve seen (and saw a lot ). Just very worried about Casey and ecstatic that him and Gabby r going to have a baby. This is the best news of the season. Love all the characters of the show (except for Chilly) and cannot wait for s4.