Are Castle and Grey's Entering Their Final Seasons? ABC Boss Weighs In

Castle Season 8 Final Season

The fact that Castle‘s Stana Katic only renewed her contract for one more year is not necessarily a sign that the procedural in turn will be fitted with a toe tag at the end of Season 8. Nor has the recent death of McDreamy assigned an expiration date to Grey’s Anatomy, which was just picked up for Season 12.

“[It’s] not the final season of either,” ABC president Paul Lee told reporters on Tuesday, just days after both Castle and Grey’s got renewed for the 2015-16 TV season. “And I would like to see them run for many, many years to come. They’re both powerful, vibrant brands with incredibly passionate audiences.”

Similarly, Lee declined to specify Castle’s Season 8 episode count, which some have speculated might be shorter, as a means to lure back its two stars.

As with virtually the entire ABC lineup, both Castle and Grey’s only last week had their fates for the fall confirmed — with the then-unresolved issue of Katic’s contract casting a pall on the cop show’s prospects. (Male lead Nathan Fillion inked his own new deal in mid-April, while in more recent days Castle named Terence Paul Winter and Alexi Hawley as its new showrunner and co-showrunner, replacing Season 7 boss David Amann.)

1. Pat says:

Please make it their last season, especially Castle. It’s time to end the show, it’s past it’s prime now and really boring. I think ABC needs to bring something fresh to the table and kick Castle to the crib.

• Badpenny says:

If you do not like it why do you watch it? There are literally hundreds of shows on every day that I do not like, so I do not watch them. Something does not need to be cancelled for you to just not watch it. Just do not watch it. I never understood this censorship ideology: I” do not like it so no one should get to watch it.” Just say “I do not like it so I will not watch it.” Life is much simpler that way. :)

• J.decout says:

It may be your opinion but not everyone. So please don’t ask them to stop. Just stop watching it.

• jumbokoko says:

It’s not even about watching the show, it’s about how much life the show has left in it. And I can’t talk about Castle, because I haven’t watched it, but I am still faithful to Grey’s Anatomy and I think a lot of people have already noticed that the show is way past it’s prime. 1. It’s lost a lot of key characters in the past few years. First they do seasons without Sloan and Lexie (I must admit, they found a decent way to deal with that), then Sandra Oh decides to exit and now we have a show without Derek Shepherd. 2. At this point, the only characters that get screen time are the secondary ones and even they don’t get fresh storylines. Where’s the Bailey we love? What’s REALLY happening to Weber? And where are Stephanie and Jo? Every show has only so much life in it an Grey’s has already used every possible disaster scenario they can. The problem at this point is that they still try to bring back the Wow Factor and it’s obviously not working as it used to. Just think of shows that have less seasons and always try to stay truthful to themselves (Breaking Bad, The Sopranos etc.)…It shouldn’t be just about the ratings, it’s supposed to be about telling a good story. And the biggest problem right now is that Grey’s Anatomy is only trying to stay alive and sometimes it feels like it’s not even trying to. Of course I still love it and it’s always going to be one of my favorite shows, but I’d rather have it finish on a high note than have 20 seasons of repetitive storylines.
        Again, this is just my opinion, but I think that many viewers will agree with this.

• cally says:

This. So much this.

• C.R. says:

Yes, I completely agree…It’s not just Greys, the same goes for Castle especially ..These shows are now stretched far too thin.

• Rowan77 says:

I totally see where you’re coming from. There is nothing more sad than a show that continues on past it’s prime. The storytelling suffers, the actor get bored and it taints the memory of a show that was once great (think Magnum PI, McMillan & Wife, Downton Abbey). Grey’s has too many characters and some get lost in the shuffle. The quality of the show is much more uneven now – and that comes from the show being super expensive to produce, so the hire less experienced writers for less money. Castle was great for years, but this past season was also uneven. Clearly they had money issues if the best CGI they come do afford for the wedding looked like it was straight out of a telenovela. I love Castle and am glad to see it go another season, but let’s not pretend it’s as good as it was just two years ago. Maybe with the new showrunners we will find it revitalized.

• John NYC says:

If any show is past YOUR expiration date it’s far easier, one would think, to simply change the channel and/or delete the dvr season pass than rely on some network scheduling decision to “save” you from yourself.

For me, I’m enjoying the show and would expect to for many years to come. Though I’ve pulled the plug on a fair number, H5O, Sleepy Hollow, Bone’s is teetering, so I understand that a show can lose a person. When one does I just move on, not lobby to deprive people who are still enjoying the show their enjoyment.

• A3rynSun76 says:

Look cancelling either of these shows is scary…but a part of me wishes greys would have chosen to call it after next season and left Derek alive. They killed him to go to the 13th season…I don’t want to say goodbye, but I don’t want to watch all the characters I love be gone and have nothing left to say goodbye to. Series finales are often incredible and I want incredible finales for Grey’s and Castle. I don’t want them to keep Castle going if they have to kill Kate to do it. I’d be suprised by a fan who does.

• m3rcnate says:

That sounds on the severe side but overall i agree. The reason i hate this open ended BS “we want to run as long as possible! no way its the last season!” is it means the risk is much greater that a season finale will come around and leave things open for the next season and then the cast (Fillion or Stana) wont sign another 1 year contract and the show will essentially die. I want this to be the last season and us get all the closure and tied up story lines. Kate be pregnant, Kate win and become a senator, Rick take the next step in his life/career, etc.

• Ashley says:

A bit harsh in the wording, but I agree with the general concept. It’s not about liking/not liking, watching/not watching – it’s about letting a show end satisfactorily with grace and still recognizable as the show people love rather keep it going until it becomes a shadow of its former self and becomes an embarrassment to everyone involved.

• CR says:

I agree, it’s time for Castle to bow out…it has lost all it’s luster.

• JBKD says:

Funny, in the DVR+7 ratings, that’s why 12+ million people watched it on Monday night. Really should bow out cuz no one’s watching. Really lost its luster all right.

• TinLV says:

Speak for yourself. . If you are so bored and don’t want to watch Castle anymore, no one is forcing you.

• He is in the crib. My crib every Monday night @ 10

• lame says:

Castle the series needs to grow, if you don’t evolve you die. That’s true in life and especially on TV.

• Bella says:

I’d rather see a show go out on a high than see it become a former shell of itself. Castle just wasn’t as interesting imo this past season.

• Mack says:

Castle is amazing! Please don’t stop it!!!!!!💔

• Dr. Enie says:

SPEAK FOR YOUSELF! YOU DON’T HAVE TO WATCH , AND IF IT IS BORING FIND ANOTHER VENUE!!! An avid Castle fan, the show, the cast, the producers et al. Have watched since season 1. Dr. Enie

• Georgee says:

ABC has a great show with Castle. If you do not like it vote with your Tv remote and stop watching, I thing we still live in a free country. But if the new show runners write in a major split, wedge between Rick and Kate you will get your wish and the show will end no season 9. You said the show old and aging no one has told that to NCIS been around for 12 seasons, Castle could be around for that to,if they wanted. For me and 77% of the fans, we would like a baby Castle. Do you think they will be smart enough to do that?

2. Annie says:

“Showrummer” sounds like my dream job. ;)

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Would be great if both Grey’s and Castle are ending after their respective seasons. Hope Grey’s should go out with a bang after the shocking loss of McDreamy aka Patrick Dempsey.

• ? says:

It’s definitely the last season of Castle regardless of what the network says because the stars won’t be signing for another year. Grey’s, it isn’t the last season because Shonda wouldn’t have killed Derek if she was approaching it that way and the show can survive the loss of any particular cast member, even Pompeo (who won’t leave anyway because she could never get another job as good as this one). So unless the ratings tank (unlikely), it has a few years left.

• She won’t get another job?

You’re hilarious. She’s an amazing actress, and plenty of people think so. She’s proved herself and doesn’t even need to get another job in the future.

4. LaurenMC says:

To me, Grey’s ended the episode before McDreamy was killed. I (and many people I know) will not be watching next season after that hot mess. Castle is fun, keep it going!

• Sa says:

Sorry I have to disagree, Grey’s is more interesting now after Derek’s death. And I have seen many people talk about them catching up on Grey’s. I can’t wait to see Mer journey. because this is GREY’S Anatomy.

• LaurenMC says:

You’re in the minority.

• CK says:

And you have numbers to prove this?

• LaurenMC says:

Numbers, no, but I have eyes and can read. I saw the massive fan outrage on every entertainment website regarding McDreamy’s death. I also have ears and a mouth, and discussed the awful plot development with my friends who also watch(ed) the show. None of us are returning next season.

• pamela says:

well the ratings have been down the last two episodes since dereks death, i’m not saying that the show is interesting or not since his death but ratings are down.

• Annie says:

Yeah Lauren is right on that point. And I loathed McJerkFace.

• A fan of TV says:

How can you even claim such a thing when the show gets on avg 8 million-plus viewers, and they have only slipped to under 8 mil in the weeks since? It seems pretty clear that the majority of Grey’s fans have not abandoned the show for killing McDreamy. Simple math is easy, don’t be overdramatic.

• LaurenMC says:

Um, what am I claiming? I was only talking about my personal opinion and the opinion of my friends, plus all the outrage I have seen online. And more specifically, I said most people are going to stop watching NEXT season. Most people are finishing up this season to continue to watch the train wreck unfold, but wont be watching in the fall. And if you want to talk ratings, they have been dropping since McDreamy’s death (I think it was down 7% the week after he was killed off), and there is no reason to believe they will go back up, especially with the crappy and lazy storytelling Shonda Rhimes is now churning out.

• A fan of TV says:

When you tell someone they are in the minority for still watching, you’re being dramatic and not using facts. If you’re only talking about how you and your friends feel, you don’t speak up on behalf of a supposed majority. You are in a minority of Grey’s fans overall, as far as the numbers specify. Even the ratings drop is not evidence that you’re in the majority of Grey’s fans, as for it to be true the show would have to lose more than half its total viewers for those still watching to be ‘in the minority,’ which were your words Lauren, not mine.

• Peevesie says:

except that the numbers say different. The two episodes after he died aren’t even the lowest in the season or close to that by a million!

• Amen. :) This show has always been Mer’s story. Her love story with Derek just happened to blow up.

• Prish says:

I was with my 91-year-old father, when he sputtered, “They’re killing him? But he’s the whole show!” I don’t watch the show, but I thought I would share his moment with other fans of the show, here.

• Bella says:

I have to agree killing off Derek was a huge mistake imo. Then to time jump and not show them mourning his death was a rip off to the fans of Grey’s and Derek. I’ve no interest in the show any more.

5. RBA says:

For those taking what Paul Lee said as gospel keep in mind what Paul said about Revenge earlier this year during ABC’s Winter Press conference,

Revenge is an important brand to ABC, and it could re-invent itself” – Paul Lee at Winter Press.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Thanks for the reality check, as always, RBA. #KeepingThingsHonest

(P.S. Just one user name per IP address, thanks so much!)

• Will says:

Exactly, thank you! With both shows ratings declining year-to-year, I’d imagine come January Paul Lee will be singing a different tune. If he cared at all about integrity/quality of the shows, this would be their final seasons.

• Katie T says:

Practically every returning show has ratings declines every season so that isn’t really a reason to say a particular show should end. And I don’t think it’s the same situation for both Castle and Grey’s as they’re not getting similar numbers. Castle may finish next season if there is a ratings slip or Nathan and Stana decide they don’t want to do it any more. But Grey’s has good enough ratings to last a few seasons yet as long as there’s no rapid ratings decline and the main cast like Ellen,Justin etc want to carry on

• Patrick says:

Revenge had slipped below a 1.0 in the demo, which is death for network programming. Castle is still above 1.0 and selling well in syndication (something Revenge had not accomplished). When Lee made his statements about Revenge, it was still hovering above 1.0. When it fell below that, and was still short of 100 eps (88 is the magic number for syndication sales), it was dead.
        Castle OTOH, is hugely successful in syndication. Every ep they make represents huge money on the backend. Ostensibly, Greys falls into the same category as Castle, but Grey’s regular cast is 3-4 times the size of castle’s. That makes the costs of production that much higher. If the ratings for Grey’s fall significantly, which seems to be the post McDreamy trend, its going to be way too expensive for ABC to continue, especially since the demand for the non-McDreamy eps may not exist.

• Johanne shilton says:

Grey’s is by far the best TV in uk. One person doesn’t make a great cast. Always introduced newer cast so kept up the interest. Still lots of marvellous characters to allow grey’s to run and run. Great series from America. The best.

• CastleBuzz says:

Well, he did say Revenge “could re-invent itself.” Apparently it didn’t. There are no such qualifiers in Mr. Lee’s comments about Grey’s and Castle today. Having said that, I’m sure we’ll all be in this same state of wondering about another season of both by mid-season.

• Dennis says:

Omg I was thinking
      The same thing about Revenge! At the end of the day it’s all about ratings unless a show makes a ridiculous amount of money for the studio and/or internationally.

• Joe says:

And Before that it was Happy Endings @ apt 23

• herman1959 says:

Exactly; this is the same old no-answer-answer he always gives. He can’t be taken seriously.

6. Sam says:

Wait, Castle didn’t receive a full 22-episode order for season 8? That’s not a great sign…

• Badpenny says:

There is no information on the size of the Season order. But Nathan is well documented about not liking the work hours and wanting a shorter Season – especially with him doing hid Kickstarter with Alan as well.

• Apparently there’s been some other projects in his plate as well he keeps wanting to get to but can’t. Movie roles naturally popped up once or twice, the kickstarter project, and apparently they still want to do a Doctor Horrible sequel, just to name a few. Hell I keep hearing he also wants to do a Shakespeare run somewhere.

• CastleBuzz says:

Come on. If he really had any great offers out there, he wouldn’t have re-signed. The renewal is for a full season according to ABC’s press release today. Only thing that would change that is if the ratings died.

• Nathan sounds like a bitchy whiner. Oh boo boo I don’t like working :(:( Go screw yourself.

7. Dennis says:

Yeah yeah yeah ;) he said the same thing about Revenge and then that got cancelled lol. Then again, Revenge’s ratings were not as great.

8. Matthew Weber says:

I’d love to see Castle continue on for many years to come. I love the show. That being said, I’m also okay with s8 being the last one, as long as they know before hand and can end it well. I for one thought last night’s finale would have been a great season finale, so if they just do that again, I’m okay. I want a good ending.

As for season 7, it had it’s up and downs. The two parter was terrific, i’m not a 3xk guy, but it was really, really good. There were a others that were good too. But they bungled the Castle back story and disappearance arc. That was terrible. I liked last year’s finale, but the way the resolved it was just unbearably dumb.

9. Dude says:

Once again proving that ABC doesn’t give a damn about artistic integrity.

• Jenna says:

Exactly. And add CBS to that. It’s all about the bottom line; though artistic integrity and $ don’t have to be mutually exclusive. The CEO’s are too short sighted, and self-important.

• CastleBuzz says:

They are CEOs and not Chief Artistic Directors after all. The bottom line is what their job is all about. I think stockowners would be unhappy if it were otherwise. It’s up to the individual artists — directors, writers, actors — on each show to provide the artistic quality and integrity.

10. kmw says:

That’s great that ABC wants to keep both , but especially with Castle, the actors are going to be the ones who decide when it is time to end. Both shows probably do well enough in syndication that ratings decline isn’t that important to renewal chances next season. Despite Patrick Dempsey’s departure I think there is a better chance that this will be Castle’s last season and not Grey’s

11. This is definitely the final season of Castle.

Grey’s Anatomy will get stretched for at least a 13th season. It has deviated so far from its initial premise and cast, that it’s not like they care how much they drain the content and the budget. It’s completely up to the ratings at this point, and there is still a lot of pull there.

12. James D says:

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t it usually the case that studios will do one year deals for most contracts after the initial one is up, unless you’re TBBT it would make sense that they’d do it year by year. While I will admit Amann and Co. dropped the ball on Castle’s “mythology” I still thoroughly enjoyed this season of Castle, and I really don’t understand the hate it has gotten this season. It’s not that I’m against people voicing their opinion I simply don’t get where the hate is coming from. I personally hope it lasts at least as long as Bones has because IMO it’s a superior show with loads of stories still to tell. I can’t give an opinion on Greys’ because I don’t watch it. As for the episode count of Castle I find it to be a fair compromise if the seasons are shortened. It gives Stana and Nathan some breathing room and allows them to seek out new projects, not sure you can shorten it to something like 13 but maybe 16 episodes would be good.

• Katie T says:

I think a lot of the established shows sign new contracts on 2 year cycles. I know Greys, NCIS and I think Criminal Minds do, And Bones did on the last contact, though I don’t know what they’ve signed on this year as Emily and David renewed. And some even have longer contacts to start with, especially on The CW. So Nathan and Stana signing for just one is going to lead to speculation that season 8 will be the last

• James D says:

Wow thanks for the clarification. Seems odd to do it on a two year cycle. I will always hope for more castle under any circumstances.

• Katie T says:

So do I as I love the show. I would say that the one year contract isn’t completely an indication of season 8 being the last though. It could be that they want to see how the show goes now that it’s had all the behind the scenes changes for next season

• CastleBuzz says:

The hate among Castle fans is unreal. Much of it stems from reaction to last season’s finale. Beckett’s previous Vegas marriage, the non-wedding, and Castle’s disappearance really upset the apple cart for many fans and they just couldn’t get over it or forgive Marlowe and Miller for it. This came for many after what they perceived as increasingly poorer writing from mid Season 5 through Season 6. Add onto that the lack of what they see as good Caskett scenes and the Castle mythology nonsense from this Season and they wanted heads to roll. Finally, there’s a clear divide among a portion of the fandom between Beckett-Stana fans and Castle-Fillion fans that has gotten more vicious this past year. I think this portion is a minority but they speak with a loud voice, taking over threads and forums right and left so there’s very few places left where you have a variety of POVs. This is my favorite place right now b/c it is varied and fair, and the “hateful” comments are minimal.

13. cougar says:

they should cancelled both series , they are so stupid and clueless right now! , Shonda Rhimes please kill Meredith once and for all!!!!!!and say goodbye with some dignity,

• This sounds like a very bitter FOREVER fan. All the bitter Forever fans need to go work on getting their show on a cable network and stop wining at those of us who were lucky to have our shows coming back

14. cougar says:

i´m surprised they´re still plp who watch it, both dramas are stupid and clueless, writers and producers of both shows : please do us a favor and say goodbye with dignity

• John NYC says:

If you check your tv user guide I’m close to certain there’s a section on how to change the channel?

Glad to have been of assistance!

15. Dragonfly says:

I don’t believe him, he is the idiot who cancel Forever. I hope Castle stay strong in ratings as it started to be interesting again. But lets order more crappy shows like Dr.Ken (seriously?!) And complain that people do not watch

16. Dianne says:

Please make it the last season for both, they are past their prime and I’d love both shows but would like to see them end next year on a high note.

17. I very much hope they announce that it’s the last season of Castle sooner rather than later. Then barely got Stana back for the one year and the ratings are low; this is the end and we all know it. I’d like them to build it as a final season than have to guess/assume and not get the confirmation until the last minute.

18. Angie says:

I was under the impression Nathan only signed a one year contract too?

19. Fay says:

I think both shows have run their time. They both need to end next season with decency knowing before hund that that’s the case so as to wrap up all loose ends.

20. I love Castle but it should probably end while its still got something left in it. I didn’t mind Grey’s when it started but man it got bad the longer it went on. Would prefer not to have Castle become a zombie.

21. lame says:

Not being a mystic and knowing what’s on the minds of NF and SK, it would nice to see the show grow. Starting season 8 with Captain Beckett in her new precinct. Montgomery used to get involved in some cases, yet it would open up the show to look more into what RC & KB do in any given day other than run down criminals. That after all is what many fans have been asking for. Time for AWM to refresh the show, let it grow, be bold, instead of the same old retread. What’s there to lose, that 1.4 demo for 7.23 was shockingly low for a season finale.

• lame says:

I know I’m probably blowing smoke, AWM is talking about resurrecting Brackens. Like I said retreads.

• CastleBuzz says:

AWM is out, as is his wife, TEM. Those interviews were done before that was known for sure, although I’m sure the ideas may be floating around in the new showrunners’ heads as possibilities.

• lame says:

He’s no longer involved in the writing of episodes, but he still oversees the general plan for the season and will contribute to ideas for what transpires.

• Just one thing says:

Based on how they bid fans farewell, and how the press is reporting it, I don’t think they have a say. Think Mike Kelley from Revenge.
            I wonder if Marlowe will get that added vanity card next season like Kelley did.

22. Amy says:

Can’t comment about Castle. Stopped watching around season five even though I think I was one of few watching the first few seasons and commenting. Greys is still good but has suffered a huge loss. Have to wait and see. But for all, Paul Lee is just blowing smoke. It is all about the ratings. It doesn’t matter what he says today. It can all change based not only on ratings but what he has lined up to replace and costs. It is totally all about the money.

23. awnb95 says:

Hopefully these shows get a proper final season. Always hate to see a long running show canceled, rather see it have a final season.

24. The Bott says:

Just because Derek died….does not mean Grey’s should end. Yes, I liked Derek….who didn’t like him….but come on people! The actor who portrayed him….Patrick Dempsey….was DONE with playing his character, and was tired of the demanding schedule a full season, one hour drama has. He wanted out…it was his choice. What else were they suppose to do with his character?
    Sure, I thought maybe he would end up in a coma or something….for the next six months or so….but really….we would only see Derek looking all McDead-like….lying in a hospital bed with Merideth and everyone else moping and being all sad that there McDreamy was incapacitated, and his kids wondering why he would not just wake up. And then maybe have Amelia perform some miracle surgery and wake him up…..but really…..no. That would only work for the short term. The actor was ready to hang up his scrubs, and move onto something else. So, the only logical thing to do was kill the character off. Anything else (such as the character living and working elsewhere, and not being with his kids) would have been a stupid story-line to continue….and would make him seem like a horrible husband/father.
    Plus, there are so many other characters and fan-favourites on the show.I’m excited to see how things move forward. I feel like there is so much left to discover, and more growth for some characters.
    OK….rant over……

25. Maria says:

I Love Castle and I am so very happy that it’s back for another season, on the other hand, am glad Grey’s anatomy is back for those that had being following it for all these years, although I have, I am done with it, as I think it has filled my quote of dead doctors on tragic accidents for being a Medical show…. they put the lid on for me with Derek, I get it he wanted to leave and had problems (which is not the first actor, which makes me wonder) with Mrs Rhimes, but enough is enough with the deaths… it could have being less dramatic

26. Mara says:

Castle stopped being credible as soon as they had the ridiculous plot of Rick not showing up for the wedding and the car crash. Please — it’s been so lame ever since!! And without McDreamy there really is no Grey’s. I wish there could have been well written final season but it’s all just bad now.

27. Ellinas78 says:

If it makes room for new shows make it the last season for those and a bunch of other average shows.

28. greysfan says:

I always say enjoy them while they are around. When shows are gone, they are gone for good. Grey’s and Castle are still good shows and are much better than the new rubbish which comes around year in year out. Yes there is a time for end but i don’t believe it is there yet.

29. Betty says:

I’m so happy castle is coming back for another season. I hope castle will continue for many years to come! !!!!

30. Bryan says:

I am a huge fan of Castle and couldn’t disagree more that the show has reached its expiration. It remains an excellent mix of comedy and drama with an endless amount of stories to tell.

Besides all the different variations of crime in NYC the stark difference of Castle and Beckett’s professional lives remains compelling and added to that is the terrific way their personal lives have been melded; something that has killed many lesser shows.

I, far one, look forward to Monday and will keep watching – hopefully for years to come.

31. Lame says:

For those who fear change, think of a political thriller with Caskett investigating on a grander scale, although AWM had a habit of turning crimes into national incidents. Same thing with more and different resources. Think of RC as her press secretary and of course her research partner. It sounds like fun and refreshing.

• Lame says:

The major difference would be senator Beckett would have to wear skirts and shorter heels and Castle will have to wear ties and suits.

• Lame says:

Good stories, good writing, good directors (had my doubts of some used last two seasons) will keep the existing fan base. That along with the continuing evolution of Caskett and the Castle family is all fans are interested in. Everyone else is expendable.

32. Lisa says:

This is Castle for me:

Seasons 1-3, PERFECTION! The cases, the banter, the chemistry, everything was the best. Also, I am willing to overlook the whole “Gina” s2 ending. ;)

Season 4, not great but some really great individual eps, including my favorite ep of the series “Always”.

Season 5, the most fun season of the series. C & B as a secret couple, the fun they had and just the overall good time vibe of the show.

Season 6, only a few standout eps and the finale makes me want to forget S6 ever happened.

Season 7 seemed strong to me with some very clever episodes. It was like they wanted to finish on a high note. People can joke about the CGI wedding stuff but that episode (The Time of Out Lives) was one of the series best.

I have no idea what S8 will be like hit some of Castle’s best has been with Alexi Hawley’s involvement, so I am hopeful for sure. Finish off strong and with no angst and this viewer will be really happy and proud to have been a fan since day one.

• J. A. B. says:

Castle is still the best! Most of the stories are good and some are spectacular! Have you seen some of the other stuff out there? There is so little on TV worth watching after 1 or 2 episodes! Castle is the only show with the quality still there after 7S, and there are plenty of stories yet to tell with those outstanding actors! Castle is the only show to look forward to; it’s the only show with humor, drama, complex characters with depth, and stories that are more fun and unique than many other series combined! Don’t badmouth one of the few “bright spots” on any channel!! If you don’t like it, or appreciate it, please watch something else, and leave us to our “north star”.

33. Larry Howlett says:

Folks. The only thing networks care about is RATINGS and whether or not they can secure sponsors. That determines how much life is left in a program. I suspect Castle is still showing respectable ratings. Personally I’ll watch it as long as both stars are in it. But I agree with those who say, if you don’t like it don’t watch it.

34. henry baker says:

i think its time to puit castle to bed it has had its glory now let other dramas have a shot its always been castle this that and other no other drama gets a mention

35. M. Johnson says:

Love Castle, but it certainly needs better writers. The cast is great, especially Nathan Fillion.

36. Diane says:

I disagree. I love Castle. The entire cast is outstanding and it’s good family television. The reality shows that are all over every networks is not a good thing for the children of American. Why does everything have to be about drugs, sex, and whatever. Three cheers for Castle and keep it coming.

37. acurat says:

I think these are the hopes of ABC executives, no more, no less. There is no guarantee that viewers will watch Grey’s Anatomy in enough volume after this year with the death of Patrick Dempsey’s major character. If people don’t tune in, no one will be signed to a new contract and it is a win-win for all involved (no money lost).

Same thing goes for Castle. The end of the season was definitely written like an ending for the series, with all the characters involved in the show around a table at an awards ceremony. They still have the main characters so they could go a little longer – but it is getting old.

38. Georgee says:

A little sad that a part of the Castle family is gone (Gates). It does leave the 12th open for Kate. But why only 13 episodes, and does that limit the seasons? As for her running for a New York State Senator, I just do not know if ABC can handle that, I hate to see it turn in to get out the vote for Hillary.

39. Thesaurus says:

I like Castle, I’ve never watched Grey’s and have no desire to do so. I like Castle because it’s quirky. I’ve watched Nathan Fillion since Two Guys, A Girl and a Pizza Place – a show not even a defibrillator could keep alive. Yes, last season had issues. You try coming up with fresh ideas over 8 years. It’s one of the reasons CSI: New York & Miami got the boot. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation had already done the majority of things the other two could do. Leave Castle alone and go watch one of the other 100 channels cable offers. I will mourn Castle when ABC decides the time has come to put it to rest. Until then, I will enjoy it’s quirkiness.

40. Donna says:

There is no Grey’s Anatomy without Derek in my opinion. I stopped watching it the episode they killed him off. The whole show was predominantly based on the Der-Mer relationship and without him, Meredith is just boring, as is almost all the rest of the characters. Like Kevin McKidd, but without Sandra Oh, he’s as irrelevant as Meredith without Derek. I’m looking for new shows to watch (not connected to Shonda Rhimes!)

41. Barbara says:

Another good show gone. Castle was one of my favorites but without Kate Becket and Ric castle (married just briefly). That ends the show for me.