Exclusive

Originals Scoop: Riley Voelkel Promoted to Series Regular

Riley Voelkel

Warning: Stop reading if you haven’t seen the Season 2 finale of The Originals, for this post is dark and full of (minor) spoilers.

Despite Aunt Dahlia’s best efforts, there’s just no breaking up the Mikaelsons. In fact, following the events of Monday’s season finale, you’ll be seeing a lot more of one family member: TVLine has learned that Riley Voelkel (aka Freya) will be a series regular in Season 3!

“Freya is going to stick around and help raise [Hope],” executive producer Michael Narducci teases. “She’s allowing Rebekah the chance to go have a life by sticking around. I’m really excited to see what role this new sister is going to have in the family and how she may play off of both of her brothers. I’m really excited about that family dynamic.”

Fans, are you excited to see more of Voelkel moving forward? What are your hopes for Freya and the rest of the Mikaelsons next season? Drop all your thoughts in a comment below.

1. A says:

This should very interesting how this sister take care of the family while her their kids sister Rebecca has her own life outside of the family. Also I think they promoted her to a regular to fill the void left by Claire Holt.

• varunthecool says:

Leaves me to wonder if Freya is now a mortal or an immortal…

• Jericho says:

Last night’s return of Claire Holt did nothing but solidify the fact the show is something incredibly “less than” without the actress. Once again removing her from the fractured family and replacing her with Freya (a character without any real familiar bonds) does nothing but underline that fact.

I was hoping against hope as I watched the episode that it would turn out that she would be back. Alas, whatever Miss Holt is doing with her career (someone please tell me what) is more important than this little show.

2. tinan says:

nah just cancel this horrible show already

• Andy Swift says:

How ’bout I cancel your comment?

• Waseem Akram says:

some one please cancel his comment….or cancel him

• Justin says:

I love this show I really do me and my girlfriend love it out of every show I have seen this is my favorite and I’ve seen a lot of shows I’m 28 and watching shows is something me and my girl bond over thank for the very best show I’ve ever seen I cant wait till season 3 it sucks so bad to wait so long to see it again well I hope its not to long of a wait cause Monday is my fav day of the week cause this show thank u guys for everything you do for the show much love to you guys thanks

3. FatherOctavian says:

Terrific news. They’ve already lost both Rebekahs to other shows, so I’m happy to see they’ve locked down Freya.

I don’t think Claire Holt will ever come back full time, but I’m kind of hoping that “Of Kings and Prophets” bombs so that we get more of Rebekah 2.0.

• Andy Swift says:

We’ll for sure see Claire Holt again, possibly Maisie. (If they could juggle Daniel Gillies’ “Saving Hope” schedule, they can do anything.)

• Fenris says:

Daniel Gillies is on another show called saving hope so I don’t see why other actors involved in another show can’t have more of a role on the originals.

• CruellaSlayVil says:

Because they have a choice and Claire chose not to. They can’t force her to do anything. Daniel chose to remain on both shows, Claire doesn’t have to do the same. I mean they could just kill Rebekah off but they’ve given the opportunity for the character to remain alive and they’ve preserved her original body so that if Claire wants to return, she can. Honestly, they’re handling it very well.

• AM68 says:

He left that show awhile ago. His character was killed off. He left because he couldn’t do both full time anymore.

• Valerie Mendez says:

Daniel Gillies is not on that show anymore. He died in Season 3, He won’t be turning For Season 4. Besides he’s awesome he can do anything let’s not forget that he’s a director as well.

• Christ emma says:

why claira holt,to be lost, her absence in d next season will be tarribly bad from me &her fan i really goin miss that her little hand &beautiful face of her.DAMM.

4. Chris says:

I think I’ll like this dynamic better. I really haven’t missed Claire Holt. To me, they never really knew what to do with her character most of the time. If she wasn’t jumping someone’s bones or whining about jumping someone’s bones, she was blah. Elijah and Klaus always had something to do and great stories to tell.

Klaus needs Freya for Hope, even more than everyone else. I won’t miss Hayley. I understand everyone disagreed with Klaus about how to protect Hope, but Klaus is her father. He has the right to fight for her. They shouldn’t have daggered him. I was pretty satisfied watching his revenge.

• A says:

I agree I will not miss Hayley at all she and Jackson always try to keep the baby away from Klaus it is time for them to go.

• Yes she can be gonne forever :D for me also I do not like her at all

• AM68 says:

She was never “always trying to keep the baby from Klaus” – they lived with Klaus with the baby! She decided to leave when Klaus started going psycho when Dahlia arrived. Everything Hayley said about Hope being around Klaus was true at that time and she did what was best for Hope. Even Rebekah and Elijah agreed with her.

• FatherOctavian says:

The great thing about the show only having limited access to Claire Holt is that it really forced the writers to earn her reappearance every time she appears. Now, when she’s in the role, there are no wasted scenes.

That being said, even when I felt the writers were wasting the character, Claire Holt always elevated the material she had to work with. And Rebekah is the most human of all the Originals, which always made her fascinating to watch.

Right now, this show is better than “The Vampire Diaries” ever was. They’ve mostly weeded out the weak characters and replaced them with more interesting ones.

Danielle Campbell is probably the weak link of the cast now, but the character of Davina has a lot to do.

• ChrisGa says:

Danielle Campbell has always been the weak link in an otherwise very good group of actors. Glad to see Riley sticking around; Freya has easily become the most well drawn and written female character on the show next to Rebekah and Riley has done a stellar job bringing her to life. And yes, Claire Holt has always elevated the material she’s been give, great or otherwise, both here and on TVD; she’s still my favorite Original next to Daniel Gillies(although I’d be remiss if I didn’t say what a fantastic job Maisie’s done with the role of Rebekah–out of all the “new body” actors(Sharman, Gatewood, et al) I think she’s made the strongest impression by far).

• Waseem Akram says:

i completely agree with your thoughts……

• Literary_Spirit says:

You are sooo right. I mean Klaus killed his father to protect that baby, and don’t even get me started on how he went in on the first season. So what gives Hayley the right to replace Klaus? If you ask me, Cami needs to replace her!!!

5. Dani says:

More than thrilled to have her as a series regular. I thought she would be promoted to series regular since Rebekah is no longer one. Can’t wait to see how her story unfolds. Hopefully ‘Of Kings and Prophets’ allows Maisie to work on TO as much as possible. Love that the actress was not let go. Smart move. Her chemistry with the rest of the cast is amazing. So excited for next season and for more Riley/Freya!!

6. Riana says:

The Originals just did something that The Vampire Diaries never did: promote a female character.

7. Tre says:

I am actually excited to see where they take Freya. She’ll bring a new dynamic to the siblings relateship without making people feel she is trying to be Rebekah 2.0. Plus they’re gonna need her seeing as how Davina is now on a warpath.

8. Guest says:

Excellent news!

9. Justine says:

Love the Game of Thrones reference in the beginning of this post!

10. pebbles51 says:

Really glad to hear she is staying. Somebody will need to teach Hope to control her magic! And Freya finally has her family. I’m sure Rebekah will be back when dhe finds a way to resurrect Kol.

11. Karsus says:

Fairly on the boring side overall… Klaus really needs to die, if only for a season.

12. m3rcnate says:

This show will improve immensely when they finally kill Jackson. Even just knowing he is alive even if in wolf form of screen makes watching this show 1/2 as fun as it could be.

13. Cousin O'yaya says:

I keep trying to figure out what about this show makes me keep watching it. it’s not like I like any of the main characters. and I blame it on writing. I don’t know if it’s because they’re aiming for preteen girls who only care about who is/should in a “ship” with who. but I find Klaus and Elijah the most horribly written characters on tv I’ve accepted the fact that the show’s protagonist Klaus is a MASS MURDER who never has to pay for anything he does in the long run.
    but the fact the he keeps doing horrible things to his family especially Elijah and Rebekah AND THEY KEEP COMING BACK TO HIM is so mind numbing to me. the fact they there are no consequence for any of their actions emotionally or otherwise is F**ked up writing. Klause kills Elijah’s new squeeze, he says he’s leaving and in the same act of an episode he’s back drinking whisky, Also what about that diner of people Elijah massacred, no were not talking about that …ok.

Also why do they keep drinking alcohol it’s not like they’re gonna get drunk…. but I keep watching. I guess it’s because I keep hoping one of these antagonist is gonna succeed and kill them all, I had such high hopes for you Dahlia, RIP.

• liam says:

I believe they have run into a writing quandry they can’t get out of. They have VASTLY overpowered their main characters. No conflict ever feels dangerous to the viewer because they no there really are NO permanent consequences. It doesn’t matter if its an ARMY of vampires or werewolves. It doesn’t matter if it (or was now) the white oak stake since killing Klaus pretty much axes the rest of your cast on both shows. Hell if the one dagger they finally had didn’t last an episode. It’s the same problem comics have with writing superman stories. Without kryptonite you’re honestly wondering why you watch since any conflict is a foregone conclusion

• Flashrow says:

If you have watched TVD they have explained that drinking controls the thirst of blood.

14. Ben Watson says:

That episode was extremely weak in my opinion. No Kol return, killing Dahlia off prematurely, Claire Holt leaving yet again… Probably one of the worst finale’s I have ever bared witness to.

Julie Plec already drove The Vampire Diaries down the drain, she is now doing the same to The Originals. Well done.

• zed says:

I agree. This episode weakened the show. In my opinion.
      The only thing I liked was Vincent and Cami!!! Yusuf is an amazing actor! There is a sub story with those two and I hope they use it!!!
      Actually it would have been far more interesting if Dahlia took Hope! Then there would be something interesting to wait for the next season. Now meh! Oh, and they should have shown Kol resurrect! Somehow they seem to forget it is about vampires and not prince and princesses and fairy tales. They said it would be a more adult kind of a show when they promoted it thousand years ago, but it is not.

• Ari says:

I just keep telling myself that Kol was supposed to be back and they decided to hold on it once Nate’s new show was picked up. That is the only thing getting me through yet another wasted storyline. They spent all of the second half of the season trying to bring him back and then it’s a big fat pile of nothing. Instead we got to see Klaus creepily almost kissing Cami (seriously, try to look at her less like you’re about to rip her throat out) and Elijah traveling to the swamps to see the horrible Hayley. The only positive IMO was that the actress playing Freya finally figured out how to act in this episode.

15. hello says:

Great news about Freya, too bad we are stuck with fake Rebecca

16. Dani says:

This show is very good it reminds me of the vampires dairies

17. Waseem Akram says:

there should be more action of vampire like ripping heart , vampire speed, vampire horror, vampire faces…..do not do the same mistake here like happen in the vampire diaries in a middle of season it was feels like season is just hanging or surviving like no more stories…..but love to see the ending episodes keep it suspense, interesting, horror, do not make it boring….n i hope next season finale is going to be better than this one………overall love the TO & TVD….

18. Yes I am happy for her as I really like her. But I hope also Kol will be back, so the almost whole family Mikaelson is back .

19. lily says:

I couldn’t care less. Without Rebekah and Kol

20. Jess says:

I’m actually happy about this. I like Freya, she’s a dynamic character and this show desperately needs dynamic female characters to balance out exposition devices like Cami and trope-heavy characters like Davina. Also, can we just have no ships on this show? That would be excellent, and it would spare me from watching cringe-worthy grandstanding like what happened between Klaus and Cami last night.

21. cassie says:

I really like Freya M. and I hope to see her in love in new season! Maybe with Jakson? Or someone new guy? And I wish to see Gia back! Or Haylijah, if it’s not possible. P.s-HATE klaus, hate him, hate him, hate! But, of couse, I LOVE Elijah (and Elijah Bex, they are so perfect together!). In last 10 episodes I hate Hayley, but no anymore. Or not so much.

22. Delena fan says:

One good news, after we loose Rebekah, Gia AND Haylijah. Love Freya, love her when she say ”I’m not your enemy”, she was so beautifull. Freya is one strong girl.

23. Arielle Marshalle says:

Do you think that was a good final? They SUPPOSED TO kill FINALLY jaxon, not Gia! And they din’t! (or they did?). However, I’m don’t think we can see more from Freya, but that’s theyr decision. I’m not going to watch next season (nothing interest), so they can do whatever they like to do. Good luck to Freya and TO fans!

24. Elijah's wife says:

I see something between Freya and Nik. The question is:for good or for bad? It’s really have a chance for them ‘ship’ or it’s just me and my crazy mind:-). Do not going to like her so much, because they will kill her just like they kill Gia and moore tvd nice characters. I’m happy that Elijah hate Nik about killing Gia and still is sad about her. We will see in next season what he planing to do after loose her and the werewolf

25. para says:

Doesn’t she need to sleep for a hundred years to wake up one year? isn’t that the deal she made to be immortal?

Originals is becoming a syfy show and tami will be gone because she d be 120ish years old that is exciting

26. jestina says:

i really want kol back. is there any possibility of nate’s comeback?!!

27. Jonathan says:

So dissapointed to see Rebekah leave again :( I just wish she’d stayed on again

28. Excited for this! I think the they brought her in perfectly. And understand why it was needed. I see Claire coming back from time to time. Love Maisie too, so fine with her returning as well.

29. AnnieM says:

I liked the finale. Glad to see that Freya will be back. I hope Vincent returns also – I think he’s an interesting character. I hope this is the last we’ll be seeing of Mikael & Esther for a LONG, long time…they were getting to be too Stefano DiMera with all of the dead/alive/dead/alive business…just SO tired of it! I really don’t care if Hayley comes back. The one character I wish had been allowed to stick around was Klaus’ father, Ansel; there are so many interesting things that could have been done with that character and the wolves had they kept him on the show.

• Tammy Case says:

I agree. They need to bring Kol back. I would also like to see Ansel back. I hope some how Claire Holt comes back and becomes an original again. After all that is what the show is called. I just really like Rebecca.

• Kol19 says:

Yeah thats true….Ansel could have brought an emotional side of Klaus to light of his abandoned father’s love and also a strong character of wolves which they lack now…

30. dahliarocks says:

Freya’s character is boring to me. I wish they kept Dahlia. Maybe exchange Freya and Davina for Dahlia. A two-for-one. The acting just is not that good with either of these women. If you think back on how Season 2 started or even some of Season 1 and where this show ended, it seems to have lost something. I hope they go in a better direction for Season 3.

• Joey1013 says:

How about no, Freya is one of the coolest Characters to hit the Originals. Freya, Elijah make the show interesting and cool. Klaus makes the show exciting as well with his antics.

31. sew4luv says:

I thought this was the last season and I was so disappointed. I love all the underlying subtly symbolic messages of this series. It goes beyond just entertainment. It is intelligent and well acted. You become vested in the characters. I want to see some form of “Joint custody” for little hope. I would love to see Hope have uncontrolled power surges as she reaches out to her mother, after all she is part witch! Great series, looking forward to next season.

32. Sierrah Harrah says:

Excited to see Freya in a regular role. She will be good for the family. Now that she is totally free things should be very interesting.

33. kassim says:

Have watch so many season movie but THE ORIGINALS is heart touching am into it. I cnt wait for the season 3. And cleir motives

34. Delta D. says:

It truly would be nice for once to see Klaus and Camille act on their feelings for one another. For a minute, there at the end of season 2 I had hopes.
    I don’t know about Freya yet. But I think the witch in their corner won’t hurt a thing.

35. amy says:

I want family back together. Cole risen, Rebecca back. Camille and Klaus passionately together. Hopes magic to get our of control, but used to break Cresent curse and bring Hailey back.

36. My expectations for season 3 are simple. I want Claire Holt back as Rebekah, no more of that witch. I want Jackson out of their lives. And at the end of the season or of the series, I think you should definitely give Klaus, Elijah, and Rebekah, the happy life they’ve always wanted. Together, as a family. Kol included (preferably in Daniel Sherman’s body).

37. gia mikaelson says:

If Freya stays, what she will do in next season? She doesn’t have a ship, a boyfriend or anything, just her bad bad family. Will she found love? Or… she will be killed. There is hope for Elijah and Hayley back together, but what will happend with new goldhair sister? I think she stay, because Rebekah leave, and they need a sister in this show

38. deborah says:

I wish hayley and elijah finally be together in next season, but I don’t like clamille ship, they are boring and funny dramatic to me. Don’t need so drama, two seasons and they still not even kiss?! Boring. I don’t think klaus really love her or anyone else, even his family, he is a monster and he should die. I was hope davina find way to kill him, but… like gia said, that didn’t work out. Let’s hope for next year!

39. ... says:

I love this show! I believe in her , I’m interested in how her and Klaus relationship will soon develop.

40. D. says:

I don’t get it. They created all this swapping body thing so they could use Rebekah even without Claire Holt and now they send her away again? I just hope they make her come back, even if in the new body (i like the actress, even if Claire Holt is Claire Holt).

41. Kol19 says:

Resurrect Henrik Mikealson as he is originally a witch from her mother Esther…isn;t he??

42. Skott G.Walton says:

I love Freya being in tha family dynamics. She’s Mikaelson to the core and I love that about her. Please keep her in full time. Love her

43. Braxton says:

I reckon eventually they should do a jump forward and make Hope 16 or something. I mean they can because her family are all age-less immortals so yeah….hahah just a thought.

44. Andreia says:

I am so excited for this! I really like Freya and I am so curious abou the family dynamic … With all the drama between Elijah and Klaus , and the role of Freya in that.

I love claire and I love maise, and I like Rebekah but I am really loving Freya , she is new and fresh .

I like Hayley but she is so so annoying right now , with all that crap that Klaus isn´t good enought for Hope . He protect Hope with all he have. I hope Klaus and Hayley find peace with each other because they have so much chermistry AND I kinda like of the idea of Klaus and Hayley together , the tension between them is so complicated and hot ;)

I really love Klaus, so well writen and played! Joseph Morgan is BRILLIANT*

45. diana says:

Do you think Haylijah is a endgame? I like Hayley/Jackson sex scene, but he is not my tipe.

46. Miss Deveraux says:

That sounds grate, Freya will be wanderfull big sister! I hope see more of her and Elijah, but I think they do something wrong between klaus and Freya, to me looks like they will have feelings for each other or something. That’s not gonna happen, they are brother and sister, right?

47. Lexi Salvatore says:

I JUST WANT TO BRING GIA BACK!! Freya is pretty girl, but I don’t see future for her. She just will be an Rebekah’s version- blond and caring sister. I hope this season Elijah to be nice with her, not be a bitch and to break up with haley forever, because she deserve that and she is a smells werewolf. She absolutely deserves that what klaus, Genevieve and the other witches do to her. Gia was the perfect girl for Elijah, hayley just hurding him and still hurding him. YOU HAVE TO BRING GIA BACK!!!

48. Leesa says:

I hope that Freya won’t be a bitch and help Klaus and Haley show Hope how to use her powers, but my thoughts are Freya is going to be just like Daliah and try to steal baby Hopes powers for herself. I still don’t trust her!!!!!

49. keep Freya and Rebecca (Claire Holt’s Rebecca of course!). please kill Jackson and Hailey! Hailey is useless and doesn’t add anything to the originals.She already gave us baby Hope so she’s useless! Elijah and Klaus can fight over Camille or any other more interesting character. but honestly Jackson and Hailey are a waste of time.

50. Daniel says:

who will Freya fall inlove with in this new season?