Jane the Virgin Recap: Special Delivery

Jane the Virgin Season 1 Finale Recap

Welcome to the family, Nina Solano-Villanueva! You’re in good company.

Oh, wait — Monday night’s season finale of Jane the Virgin didn’t deliver a daughter, but a son for our titular heroine. (“We don’t know anything about boys!” Xo exclaims.) And oh, boy, did the birth end with a twist when Sin Rosetro snatched the ‘lil one and took him to an unknown location!

But that wasn’t the only crazy cliffhanger, so let’s talk Michael vs. Rafael, Petra’s shocking decision and an impromptu wedding. (Never say Jane doesn’t pack in story!)

THE LOVE TRIANGLE | Before giving birth, there are two other boys on Jane’s mind: her exes. Rafael confesses that breaking up with her was a mistake and that he still loves her. Meanwhile, Michael makes his intentions known, too. A slight edge goes to the latter at the start of the episode for being a good friend to Jane, bringing her food and a hilarious delivery playlist, featuring “Push It,” “Born This Way” and “Everybody Hurts.” But then Rafael reveals to his ex-girlfriend that he cancelled his trip because he didn’t want to risk missing the birth of his child, and it feels like Jane finally believes him when he says he doesn’t want to be like his father. After the delivery, she promises to think about their relationship. As for Michael, he tells her to just focus on her son. So with everything laid out in the open, who’s the guy for Jane? With a full heart, it’s her baby boy, Mateo Gloriana Rogelio Solano Villanueva, named after Xo’s dad (and about 50 other people, but most importantly, Rogelio).

THE COMEBACK | The villainness Sin Rosetro isn’t the only one who makes a return. Nadine shows up at Michael’s apartment hoping to strike a deal: She’ll give him the location of the plastic surgeon who knows what Sin Rosetro looks like now, and in exchange, she wants protection for her family. When the cops discover the doc’s dead, Nadine snags Michael’s keys and uncuffs herself. Lest you underestimate the detective, he left them there on purpose so she would lead him back to Sin Rosetro’s people. This has to be key in finding Mateo next season.

Jane the Virgin Season 1 Recap

WEDDING BELLS | After a wild night in Las Vegas — #Rogelifans like to party — Xo and Rogelio find a mysterious video… of them getting hitched at a chapel! Hmm, will Alba and Jane be thrilled that the twosome is married if neither the husband or wife remembers it?

ANOTHER BUN IN THE OVEN? | Petra (AKA “the devil in a pretty package,” per Luisa) gets her hopes up when Rafael invites her to dinner, unaware that he’s just playing the playboy to get her to sell her stake in the hotel. On top of that, he then breaks their date when Jane goes into labor. But silver lining: Rafael’s original sperm sample was split in two, and Petra takes the remaining half for herself. (I never said it was a silver lining for Rafael, but there kind of is one: At least it’s better than my original suspicion that the calls were about his cancer coming back.)

Jane the Virgin fans, what did you think of the season-ender? Are you happy with Jane’s choice to focus on her baby boy? And why do you think Sin Rosetro wants the child? (Having to take care of a newborn might put a damper in her criminal activity, after all.) Grade the episode via the poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. Rachel says:

That ending tho! The baby!! We have to wait how many months? 😭😭😭

2. PattyStamps says:

As a mother of two small children , that nurse cutting off the bracelet will haunt me. Yes, I know Mateo will be OK and it’s a telenovela. We love Jane too much to see her go through that pain.

• Christine G says:

I totally agree. As soon as that nurse came in to take him my stomach just dropped. I love this show but that is such a nightmare scenario, I hate that’s how it ended for the season. It honestly is so upsetting. Probably because I have small kids too.

• Tina says:

I also agree! That was just too over the top. An infant being kidnapped and separated from his mother is too traumatic. Maybe they will return him swiftly in the season premiere. But I doubt it. I have a feeling that this will be used to make Michael look good. Since he has the tracker on Nadine’s phone, he will use it to find the baby.

• Jeri says:

The kidnapping is horrible!
          It says in the article that Michael leaving the key in reach is probably a main clue in finding the baby quickly.

• JBC says:

I agree about that scene in the hospital when she cuts the baby’s bracelet off and kidnaps the baby. Like you, I know it is not real, but boy some themes I would rather not see played out in front of me. Kind of freaked me out. Otherwise I liked the episode. Xo and Rogelio getting married was funny. I guess we will see a new Sin Rostro “Rose” in the new season. I guess Bridget Regan won’t be coming back if they need a new FACE. I do love Bridget, and acting on this show has been wonderful.

• ellie says:

As someone mentioned further down in the comments, Bridget may return with the help of just an added mole and eyebrow re-shape, who knows may be even a prosthetic nose (it is a telenovela after all). I hope so anyway, I looooove Bridget Regan, her scenes with Yara Martinez have been some of the best on the show. Bring back Luisa x Rose.

• JBC says:

Great, I do hope BR comes back too! I know she is also on Agent Carter which got renewed. She is a working actor and that is so good. I think she is greatly talented.

• AnotherGuest says:

I agree, it is too much like One Life to Live, AMC, etc…Why couldn’t they have to baby be too small and put in holding to next season instead of having the poor little one kidnapped already.

3. ab says:

I got to confess when I first heard about the premise of the show, I was skeptical and thought it was ridiculous. A season later this is a must watch show for me.

4. Jamie says:

I also thought it sounded ridiculous but it’s a must watch for me too.

I can’t believe we have to wait until Fall to find out what happens to Mateo or why Rose wants him, for that matter

• asimpleline says:

I was exactly the same. I thought it was going to be really silly, but it’s so well done! Gina Rodriguez is AMAZING!

5. Dani says:

I know the show probably has more seasons to go, but I want them to make up their mind with Rafael or Michael. And Petra. I hope that “extra” sperm is someone else’s and not Rafael’s.

6. So i’m guessing Sin Rosetro kidnapped the baby to lure Luisa back to her?

• Lauren says:

I really really hope Rose’s return has something to do with Luisa. Miss seeing those 2 together on my screen :( (assuming, of course, they do bring bridget back).

7. Harris says:

I hope they get rid of petra. I hope her and rafael don’t have a baby. I also wish michael would back off from trying to be with jane.

• et al. says:

Agreed on Michael. In fact I wouldn’t mind if they got rid of Officer GrandmaMouth altogether. He’s useless.

• Luke says:

Useless… Even tho he’s literally the only reason Jane has a chance of getting her son back?

• JBC says:

I really like Michael. He is a great character and they have written him to really be someone who really knows Jane as a former fiance. Rafael is good too, but I do like how Michael respects Jane and the flow they have.

• muriel williams says:

Yes! That’s exactly what I thought. Michael will get Mateo back, Jane will fall madly in love with him and then…I’m conflicted all over again between Michael and Rafael! Oh boy!

• jasmine says:

I love Michael I think him and Jane are meant to be and she way rushed into being with Rafael before they even really knew eachother just cuz they were having a baby they tried to rush a relationship around that and we all know that just like in real life that is not usually the way things go

8. Harris says:

I hope they get rid of petra, I hope her and rafael don’t have a baby. I also wish michael would back off from trying to be with jane.

9. KS says:

I’m pretty sure she said the one middle name was Gloriano, not Gloriana. It seems like that would be the male version of their shared family name. It was a really great finale, but I’m hoping the kidnapping storyline doesn’t last too long.

10. S says:

I’ve had a theory for a long time now that the narrator is Jane’s son, and this season finale nearly solidified my theory!

• John SM says:

Me too!! I think I read something sometime saying the narrator was part of the story. I really thought the narrator was going to say he was Mateo at the end.

• jasmine says:

I have always thought the narrator was Rogelio because he always presents him in an over the top kind of all about him #teamrogelio type manner and it is highly like Rogelio’s character to present himself in the 3rd person

11. k says:

The whole Luisa x Rose/Sin Rostro thing could have been played out A LOT longer and after ep 14 JSU teased Luisa x Rose would not be over and she didn’t just confirm that Rose/Sin Rostro would be back but she confirmed Bridget Regan would, didn’t seem that way in the finale. It might not necessarily be over, a lot of people are theorising that Juicy, Luisa’s apparent girlfriend (for now) may just be a decoy as she may still be in contact with Rose. It was definitely one of the most entertaining storylines and the pairing of those two was actually what kept me coming back. Hope they realise not to abandon it too quickly and weave it into the 2nd season. Just give Bridget Regan a mole on her face and differently shaped eyebrows or whatever and bring her back.

12. lily says:

In the telenovela “Juana la Virgen”, “Mauricio De la Vega” (or “Rafael Solano”, in our “Jane the Virgin”) got his cancer back.
    Really hope that “Petra’s” evil plan just doesn’t work. I’ll be really piss off if she gets pregnant.

13. eagleshock says:

Reblogged this on eagleshock and commented:
    What was this TV series about.

14. Amanda says:

I surprisingly liked the ending, however I think it’ll be more better off the baby wasn’t Rafael’s. I have never been #teamraf because it always seemed to me that he was only there because Jane got pregnant, like if she never got pregnant, he wouldn’t even notice who she was. I don’t doubt now that he loves her, but would he even know who she was if his sister didn’t get h her pregnant? Michael had been there since the start, so he loves her for her and not because she’s carrying his child. But if Mateo wasn’t Rafael’s son, then we will see if he could truly love jane through all the mess. But Petra getting pregnant too does spice it up a bit.

15. mel says:

I really truly thought theyd pull a twist like this: the call to Petra was to tell her thered been a mix up and Rafaels sperm was never used. Next season, Jane tries to get her hands on any info on who the father of Mateo is, meanwhile testing both Mychael and Rafs love for her, as neither is the biological father of her son. Her real baby daddy winds up being someone she falls for during her search. Then maybe some other twist, like hes a not really who he seems to be. Bam. Lol I cant wait for season 2!

• jasmine says:

Hahah man that is awesome you should write for the show not being sarcastic I promise that was a really good series of events you came up with

16. Columbus says:

I think that Sin Rostro wants something that she left in the Recovery Suites and will trade the baby for that item.

• Lexi says:

I doubt it. For a start, she has too many operatives for her to bother with that small of a task herself. It has to be something personal for her to actually be doing the work herself. (The work being personally retrieving Mateo from one of her operatives). I agree with those who say it’s Luisa related. My theory, at this early stage, is that Luisa did go to see Rose after her father’s funeral but realised she couldn’t be with her and took off. Rose, pissed that she ran off, is trying to make a statement by taking off with her nephew. She knows Luisa would have a vested interest in her taking off with him since it’s her brother’s newborn son, there’s no way she wouldn’t do whatever Rose is asking if the well being of her nephew were at stake.

17. I don’t know about anyone else, but the minute Jane and Rafael settled on a name for their “daughter” I knew for sure they were having a boy!

18. pl says:

IMO. This was a one season show. They are already stretching it to maintain any interest in the show.

• LT says:

The original ran for over 300 episodes…so hunker down my friend. If you don’t like it, jump off the train. I’m in for the long haul.

19. #JTV says:

Actually the only funny thing that could happen with Petra and the “extra” new found Rafael sperm is seeing her trying to inseminate herself … you know, with a turkey baster or something like that. She’s not the brightest bulb on the tree and I hope we get to watch her try and try different methods to get that sperm in her, until she depletes it. We do NOT need Petra pregnant next season … There’s plenty of storyline – her and her mother need to be in the background and certianly not up front.

20. keylimepie78 says:

My jaw is on the floor. I was not expecting that. Wow.

21. AnotherGuest says:

The only reason I gave this season finale 1 star is because Mateo is kidnapped already and us, poor people who watching this good show have to wait many months to see what happens next. I think that child is kidnapped by another family member of Rafael or someone who wants the money of Rafael’s family. By the looks of the women’s pumps that she is wearing I don’t think that she will be taking care of the baby.

22. John P. Herkemer says:

There nothing remotely humorous about a newborn being stolen from her mother. I am strongly considering never watching the show again. The only way to make it right would be for that offensive episode to be recast as a dream episode.
    Otherwise Jane the Virgin has jumped the shark in the final episode of ots first season.

• I agree 100%. What a disappointing way to end the season finale.

• mother of 3 says:

That’s exactly how I feel. This series was enjoyable up until the kidnapping. It’s like all the fun and humor of the show was sucked out in one moment by this horrifying turn of events. Now I regret that i ever started watching this show. Very disappointing…

23. jean says:

I was so shocked when the lady said Rafael’s sperm was split in two my heart just broke when Petra took the sample and I first I thought it couldn’t get worse but then Mateo is stolen by Sin Rostro and all that was going through my head is what’s gonna happen next

24. Cathy says:

Oh, come one folks, Michael will be the hero that saves the baby, the baby WILL be ok, isn’t that the thing we’re worried about. But Jane’s parents getting drunk and watching the video of it the next day is just too LOL. It will all be OK, but, it is irritating we won’t know details until OCTOBER?? Really broadcasters? At the rate you pay these folks they get nearly six months off? What a dream job!

25. Ella says:

I love Petra, I think she’s a wonderfully complicated character. And let’s be fair, while she’s done her fair share of wrongdoing, Rafael’s toying with her very real feelings was a dick move. Totally reminded me why I am Team Michael in every respect, he is just so much more thoughtful and charming and FUNNY. The “Push It” moment on the playlist he made for Jane had me rolling. Rogelio remains the greatest character ever lol. Awesome first season, really hope the quality stays up in season 2.